AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-11, 08:13   Link #21
LiQuid|J
Pantsu Faito!

I'm one who doesn't like this show. I haven't seen much Hack or Noir so I can't compare them, but I watched 3 or 4 episodes of Avenger and decided I didn't need to keep watching. The animation was well enough. I didn't like any of the characters though. And the music was so obtrusive. The OP and ED grated on my nerves as well. I can handle slow moving shows, but I expect at least SOME semblance of plot in the first few episodes. There was nothing intriguing enough to keep me hooked. I'm watching way too many shows as it is, but if I were REALLY bored, I would probably check out more. Doubt that will happen though.
Old 2003-11-11, 09:04   Link #22
zzzz

well, i don't enjoy watching avenger too. the op/ed was alright to me, but the music they used in the anime sounds crap and out of place.

animation was alright but the main character hardly speaks.(except for " i wanna kill u" a few times)
Old 2003-11-11, 13:20   Link #23
Tea Pad
Earth Died Screaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzz
well, i don't enjoy watching avenger too. the op/ed was alright to me, but the music they used in the anime sounds crap and out of place.

animation was alright but the main character hardly speaks.(except for " i wanna kill u" a few times)
I believe that's, "Kill me, if you can," mate

And I agree that some of the music can be "obstrusive" (as someone mentioned previously). That's the perfect word for it. But I like some of the bits with the organ/harpsichord; they give Volk that cheesy - but ultimately fun - supervillain air. The OP and ED are good, too.

Yep.
Old 2003-11-11, 15:32   Link #24
IwakuraLain
Goddess of the Wired

(I new to this forum, so bear with me )

I really like Avenger to far, it kind of reminds me of Noir (a series I really liked); both in pacing and in the making (animation and music). I would be really surprised if this series has only 13 episodes, i would guess at 22-26 episodes, considering the story for far ...
Old 2003-12-11, 13:02   Link #25
Sklappu

Avenger 10

I couldnt find any other threads on this so I'm gonna take a chance and (god forbid) make one.

Anyone else following this series? I really love the overall visual style of it, and post-apocalyptic never goes wrong. Layla and Nei are both also interesting characters and the mystery of their relationship and background is my main driving force in watching this series.

Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-11, 14:56   Link #26
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
Spoiler:
Old 2003-12-11, 15:02   Link #27
Thany
Unfair

Well there's already a thread about Avenger...
You should perhaps reply to this post instead of creating a new one?

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=574
Old 2003-12-11, 18:57   Link #28
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I think he right to make an new thread pertaining to ep10 the other thread was asking whether Avenger was any good. I'm really glad their are some ppl still out there following this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklappu
I couldnt find any other threads on this so I'm gonna take a chance and (god forbid) make one.

Anyone else following this series? I really love the overall visual style of it, and post-apocalyptic never goes wrong. Layla and Nei are both also interesting characters and the mystery of their relationship and background is my main driving force in watching this series.

Spoiler:
Since this is an ep10 discussion I see no reason to put it in spoiler tags

Cross/Ares is not Layla's Biological father, it was explained in ep 10 that Cross was the one who sabatoges Layla's ship and caused it to blow up because Volk holded a grudge on anyone outside of Mars. Mars was abandon and he hated anyone not from Mars.

When Cross/Ares was making his getaway he found Layla greatly injured and decided to save her and escaped in a pod to Mars. He then trained her to learn how to survive, but all she wanted was revenge for the killings of her mom & Dad and her friends and everyone else that were on the ship. Since the man Volk appeared on all of the video screens on her ship she thinks he is responsible for everything.

The part where you were being confused was actually how it went. The reason why Cross/Ares came back to see Layla was to end it. In order make her stop seeking revenge on Volk he admited that he was the one directly responsible for it. So thats why he called himself Volk but Layla still calls him Cross since he was like an father to her she couldn't believe he was involved.
Old 2003-12-11, 20:30   Link #29
Sklappu

Thanks Keitarou, that made a lot of sense and certainly cleared it all up for me. I'm surprised I didnt catch all of that myself

I guess I could have posted this as a reply to the thread mentioned, but as someone said I didnt really feel it was directly related. And I was also a little uncertain about putting the spoiler tag in but figured I'd better be on the safe side

Now with all this new content that's made clear for me I'm even more looking forward to the next ep.
Old 2003-12-14, 07:26   Link #30
Sklappu

Sorry to double-post, but are anyone else having problems with downloading Avenger 11?
I started my BT download last night, and when I got up today it still hadnt started (problems connecting to tracker). By looking at the seeding/leeching numbers for the torrent, I can tell it's not looking right. Are there any mirrors anywhere?
Old 2003-12-26, 13:50   Link #31
CaLBeaR
医者

hmm, this is coming to end as well. is this anime based on a game or manga? they didn't really explain a lot of issues in the anime.
Old 2003-12-26, 13:59   Link #32
ArcHawk
Expand your world...

Hmmm...I'm one of the few people who have been enjoying this series as well. Sure, its kinda slow, but the characters and plot are quite intruiging. And Layla is a kick ass fighter. I was getting quite concerned that she would *never* show any emotion whatsoever...her whole attitude (aside from with Nei) was starting to grate at me like fingernails on a chalkboard. But as it would happen, she's not quite emotionless afterall. Heck, she's actually pretty cute when she manages a weak smile.

Production values are very high imo...its a great series to look at. As someone mentioned though, there are too many extended, long dramatic pauses in many of the episodes. Still, I'd recommend it.
Old 2003-12-29, 21:03   Link #33
ixspa

Thumbs up avenger IS good!

Just because you can't figure what the series is about in the 1st or 2nd episode or because you don't see blood spilling every 2 seconds does NOT make it something unwatchable which is actually refreshing with this underapreciated gem called "avenger". Don't get me wrong since I also enjoy ecchi shows and ultraviolence anime shows but the ones that take time to unravel and require "paying attention to detail" are worth watching as well ! Keep that in mind whenever you watch this show or any other in general for that matter and as you may have guessed it YES! I'm another faithful layla ashley fan
Old 2003-12-29, 22:31   Link #34
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I like the music
Old 2003-12-29, 22:38   Link #35
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

alright more Avenger fans posting.
Old 2004-01-01, 14:51   Link #36
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
hey just finished episode 12 and well this show is almost over I can't believe it one more episode...well the preview is what I find interesting mostly, but there was that thing with nei's eyes and volk's strength, but yea. Well I thought this show was going to be a long one, but then I checked the episode amount and it said 13 unlike the .hack series has been.
Old 2004-01-01, 17:06   Link #37
IPv6
blastos.com

avenger is boring as hell but since I have been following it from the beginning, I am going to stick with it.

And yes, I feel asleep watching hack sign .
Old 2004-01-01, 18:59   Link #38
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

avenger is at times boring... but imo... it's still a good show to watch... the art and music is what attracts me the most...
Old 2004-01-01, 19:14   Link #39
El Diablo

Send a message via AIM to El Diablo Send a message via MSN to El Diablo Send a message via Yahoo to El Diablo
I watched the first 4 episodes, started downloading five but decided to cancel it. I got bored of .hack//sign at ep 16, and couldn't finish it, i was barely capable of getting through ep 4, i was so bored. The characters also annoyed the hell out of me, as did the opening. IMO its the worst opening of any anime i've ever watched.
Old 2004-01-01, 19:19   Link #40
Anlushac11

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPv6
avenger is boring as hell but since I have been following it from the beginning, I am going to stick with it.

And yes, I feel asleep watching hack sign .
I like .Hack//Sign but I feel it would have been better as a 13 part series or AS should have shown it on weeknights. It moves too slow to be seen once a week. At least when i had the fansubs I could sit and watch the whole thing. But rewatching it on Adult Swim was aggravatingly slow.

Avenger I like because as the series moves on you start seeing why Layla acts like she does and you start seeing more of her personality. SHe was hard to figure out at first but by the end of the series I like her.

And Speedy I thought was unnecessary at first but now I understand his purpose and he is necessary.

And I like how the story unfolds a little each week so by the end you know whats going on.
Closed Thread