Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-08-21, 15:24   Link #241
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I saw it. But I don't really like it because basically it's kinda pushing the plot.
Spoiler:
Yah... I don't think this vid was meant to follow the series, so that's prolly why there were a lot of holes in the story... I really think that this was just a compilation of the in-game movies... the credits in the end had videogame production staff members listed...

About the story... it was indeed pushing it...
Spoiler:

maybe some of the members here that played Gungrave O.D. can shed some light on the general story of the game... that way I can sorta understand this vid...
Old 2004-08-21, 16:22   Link #242
Mr.Minou

if I remember correctly, the anime did not follow the 1st game story, at least at the end. in the 1st game

Spoiler:

and the 2nd game (gungrave OD) begins some times after the 1st, that's why the story can seem odd to the anime viewers.
Mr.Minou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 18:01   Link #243
outlaw97

Explanation to Gungrave OD

It IS a compilation of all the cutscenes from the Gungrave OD PS2 game - it's not meant to be seen like this, hence why it doesn't flow very well or make much sense. Unlike the first game, there's actually a lot of text-driven (and voiced) dialogue inbetween the levels, in addition to these cutscenes. So you find out more about the rest of the characters, and the clips make more sense.

As for continuity, it's a bit sketchy because the first game and TV series went on different paths, and OD is a direct sequel to the game, not the anime - therefore, certain assumptions one might make after watching the TV show are wrong. Specifically:

Spoiler:

<edit by Mod (xris)>At the very least, we would know more about RB and Jyuji other than them being 2 random etheral badasses

But everybody should support the game when it comes out in September! More Gungrave love!

Last edited by xris; 2004-08-21 at 18:11. Reason: The comple series is considered licensed, so deleted certain comments
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 23:04   Link #244
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw97
Spoiler:
Spoiler for OD:
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-22, 00:07   Link #245
outlaw97

Heh, sorry if I said too much xris, it all just came pouring out, though now I can't even remember what you edited ^_^;;

Anyways, in regards to the big guy with the cross:

Spoiler:
outlaw97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-08, 05:10   Link #246
Spooky-Electric

Just finished watching this series and I thought it was amazing, however I felt it really went downhill when Brandon was resseructed as Beyond the Grave. He was even more of a quiet and boring character than he was when he was alive. The realistic Syndicate aspect of the series was better than when it turned into a monster shoot-em-up. I would have liked to see real fights between Brandon and these other characters instead of them turning into spiders and shit. I was also a little weirded out by some of the relationships. Big Daddy and Maria? Yuck. He was her "uncle", her dads friend. He's a nice guy and all but he's like 60 years old. Also, Mika is annoying. I know what happened to her is awful, but all she does is cry and get in Brandon's way.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-23, 01:53   Link #247
MorgaineLeFay
Scholarly Vigilante

Hey I was wondering....

Hey, newbie here. Just registered so I could get some new opinions in this strange little debate I have been having with myself because I am that lame.

Do you think Brandon died a virgin? It would be tragic if true (just ask any female who's seen the guy) but I personally think the evidence points to "yes." He loved Maria enduringly, and we never got any kind of sign he'd consider seeing anyone else. He doesn't seem the kind of guy who'd use a hooker. He spent his teenage years (normally a young male's most vital period) in monklike seclusion, and anyone who works out that intensely just might be compensating for not doing anything else physical.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
MorgaineLeFay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-04, 03:09   Link #248
Tacking

In the last episode did Brandon and Harry die? And Mika said something about family are she happy she saw Brandon alive?
Tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-01-05, 14:32   Link #249
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
SPOILER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacking
In the last episode did Brandon and Harry die? And Mika said something about family are she happy she saw Brandon alive?
Yes, they died. That's what I think, or more like, that's what I'm almost 100% sure of. Maybe she meant something along the line that Brandon now can meet Maria, just a thought...
Wilcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 13:02   Link #250
cheezisgoooood

GunGrave sale

Hey, I'm new here, but that's not important for this topic.

I found Gungrave on Right Stuf International for 50 bucks. The sale ends today.

I'm pretty sure I made a good choice, since it was so cheap, but I'd like to know what other people think of this series. I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I'm pretty confident. Plus this is the original, legitimate set for 50 damn bucks. That's ludicrous. I've been eyeing the series for a while and now it's finally cheap enough for me to get it.

I've heard this show is based on a video game, and those usually suck, but this one is I guess some sort of exception.

What do you guys think?

Btw, if anyone's interested, this is the link to where I bought it: http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/cat...em/66729/4/0/0
cheezisgoooood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 22:02   Link #251
DwArD
mAnIaC

Ok....I just finish watching Gungrave....the story is just too dramatic...I still find it hard to accept the whole story. Maria and Big Daddy!? I just hate it when 2 person in love ended up......doing something like that. *Sigh* Guess the fault lies in Brandon. But I kinda admired Brandon in a way....at least he's willing to go that far just to protect the woman he loved. Even though I was expecting the ending to be like this.....its still quite difficult to swallow it. If I were Brandon, I'll make sure I'll live through just to protect Mika....but then again, its impossible for Brandon to continue without the doctor. Now poor Mika is being left alone in this world....let's hope she won't do something like her mother does. Arrgggg.....old man and a young pretty lady? Man....there's a limit to doing things like this......
Old 2006-06-08, 22:36   Link #252
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That's why Tsukihime is better, dward. It's more believable, despite having a fantasy setting.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 23:22   Link #253
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I'd take GunGRAVE any day of the week. Easily the best action, character interactions, and overall plot I've ever seen (rivaled only in brilliance by Full Moon wo Sagashite).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 03:02   Link #254
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

We will see Chain, Full Moon releases any day now in English.

both Gungrave and Tsukihime have EXCELLENT dubs.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-09, 05:48   Link #255
DwArD
mAnIaC

Gungrave is good, no doubt about it but I just find the setting too dramatic for me, especially the relationship between Brandon and Maria. They both love each other, yet Brandon just turned Maria down, which caused her to look for another support, which so happens to be Big Daddy in this case. I just don't see the reason behind their actions. No wait...I do understand it but I somehow feel that both Brandon and Maria are really stupid. Brandon decided not to go near Maria due to some reasons but I don't see why Maria gave up on him that easily. The way I see it, Maria decided to marry Big Daddy because she wants to 'repay' Brandon for all that he'd done for her. Since Brandon wants her to be happy, she will. But is it really worth it? Maria don't really love Big Daddy right? I just have the feeling that she agreed to marry Big Daddy partly because she wants to repay the Big Daddy's kindness. Sure, she may love him but I think its not really the kind of love she had for Brandon. Brandon is still the man she truly love.
Old 2006-06-09, 11:32   Link #256
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Well yes but then you will have a different anime.

While I didn't like Maria going with Big Daddy, I applaud Brandon for changing the 'typical anime plot' by going this route. Who knows, him and Harry might still be friends and instead of 'Beyond The Grave' you just have 'Superior Brandon'.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 05:22   Link #257
Shabazza
transcendental

I am currently at episode 13 but they shouldn't have done the first episode like it is now.
The way that girl talked about "Bloody Harry" and the whole audience in episode 1 revealed about everything. I already know who is going to survive the flashback and so on.

I suggest for anyone who wants to watch Gungrave to skip the first episode and go straight for ep2
Shabazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 15:36   Link #258
lommm
l'homme de lommm

yeah, there are a lot of series that use that format... episode late teen to 20 something followed by episode 2 which is actually episode 1.... berserk and FMA did the same format... it always annoys me...

i actually saw ep01 on tv of gungrave... then saw the rest of it many months later so i only had a vague recollection of episode 1 and it was better

if you're on ep13 then you're watching the good stuff... the last 6-8 episodes kind of go all shitty as the sci-fi is on overload....
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 20:19   Link #259
kauldron26
Med Student

Gungrave is a friggin masterpiece...
kauldron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-28, 23:31   Link #260
dumbo63

I loved the first arc because thats where most of the drama is. It was all plot driven and emotional. It's purpose was to setus up emotionally and make us sympathize for Brandon which made his revenge in the second arc so sweet.
dumbo63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, crime, drama, science fiction