AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-04-22, 14:09   Link #461
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
After the first little arc I was wondering whether the quality would keep up but now my doubts completely vanished. I found the 3rd episode just as amazing as the first 2. Definitely my favorite anime of the ones airing right now.
And Li is a truly interesting protagonist, I'm eager to find out more about the motivation and the background of contractors.
Old 2007-04-22, 17:19   Link #462
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
Darker than Black or Romeo and Juliet, which will be the spring king??
DtB and Seirei no Moribito.

I checked out Romeo X Juliet, and found it visually appealing, but it didn't grab my interest.
Old 2007-04-22, 17:29   Link #463
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
DtB and Seirei no Moribito.
This season is packed with shows that I'm dying to keep watching but those are my addictions so far.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-22 at 19:22.
Old 2007-04-22, 17:44   Link #464
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26 View Post
Darker than Black or Romeo and Juliet, which will be the spring king??
Dennou Coil or Gurren-Lagann on artistic and cinematographic qualities alone, they're probably the only ones doing something to move the medium forward in both narrative style and animation production. But that was a really unnecessary thing to post here, probably like the guy who posted he thought Gurren was going to be THE Spring show in the Seriei thread. Why do you need that kind of comparison wars? Leave them for non-official topics like the ones in General Anime or Suggestions.
Old 2007-04-22, 18:20   Link #465
Doria

They seem so different, it's pretty hard for me to compare them. (Plus, I haven't seen Serei at all, so I really can't say on that front.) But I'm looking forward to watching all three.

I definitely agree with what seems to be prevailing sentiment here, that Li is really interesting protagonist. It's my favorite part of the series so far, except when he visually morphs into Death Note's L... that's just kind of distracting.
Old 2007-04-22, 19:31   Link #466
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Dennou Coil or Gurren-Lagann on artistic and cinematographic qualities alone, they're probably the only ones doing something to move the medium forward in both narrative style and animation production. But that was a really unnecessary thing to post here, probably like the guy who posted he thought Gurren was going to be THE Spring show in the Seriei thread. Why do you need that kind of comparison wars? Leave them for non-official topics like the ones in General Anime or Suggestions.
That's true, it's not worth comparing what show's best in a thread of a specific show, I'd rather talk about the show and it can quickly bring the discussion off topic or into flame wars. I think listing other shows that are similar to the one being discussed is ok though as it gives new viewers something to go by.

That said, I really do like the unique qualities of both of the shows you mentioned (though I haven't seen anything of Dennou Coil yet other than sample artwork so the show itself could be boring or good I dunno lol). However, I would also put Darker Than Black in the category with them because honestly in my opinion there hasn't been a show of this feel in years, which is why I feel this show sticks out so much to me in terms those same qualities particularly narrative style, and while not as "uniquely art styled," the "fullness" of the animation is equally high with a surprising amount of layered animation an area that always grabs my attention since it can't always be done for TV anime.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-22 at 20:08.
Old 2007-04-22, 19:45   Link #467
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm liking this show, too, through three episodes. Very interesting people and story. But I have a rather different slice of favorites this season: Touka Gettan is tops, with Hitohira and Lucky Star not far behind, and Seirei no Moribito and Emily of New Moon pretty close. But that's just personal preference, I guess.

And Kaioshin, since I feel that the OPs by female singers are better than those by males, I think we can say that it's personal preference rather than objective truth, and the female singers aren't "missing" anything. The OP and ED for Hitohira, for example, suit me perfectly. And the OP for Lucky Star works so well with its animation. And lots of people (not me) have complained about L'Arc-en-Ciel's OP for Seirei no Moribito.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-22, 19:47   Link #468
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
After the first little arc I was wondering whether the quality would keep up but now my doubts completely vanished. I found the 3rd episode just as amazing as the first 2. Definitely my favorite anime of the ones airing right now.
And Li is a truly interesting protagonist, I'm eager to find out more about the motivation and the background of contractors.
BONES is one of the most consistent studios out there. Even when their animation quality drops a bit like in season 2 of Eureka 7 it drops from "mind blowing orgasmic" to very good.

@ Kaoru Chuujo: Your Hitohiro opening is very nostalgic (Reminds me a bit of the Card Captor Sakura songs). It doesn't seem overly glitzy either like Idol Pop, more like the opening song for Kyoshiro To Towa Sora, which I really like. Are you sure the opening song wasn't written in the 80's? Regardless that's what I think the female sung songs are "missing", but I can't quite put my finger on what it is in that song that is not in others. Perhaps the main difference rests more in instruments used. I like guitars and drums to be very prominent in my songs and I think you prefer something more akin to what I'd call a melody. Failing that I like a smooth 80's beat in my music, which is what this Hitohiro song seems to invoke. Perhaps the fault I find rests more with the musical backup than with the singers themselves in my case and the push to Idol Pop has been hurting female sung music for me.

Did you like this one or was it too loud?

With the Serei opeing I must say, L'Arc en ciel has also never wowed me really. They are just kind of average in my opinion, kind of like a boy band. The song also barely seems to fit the opening animation.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-22 at 20:03.
Old 2007-04-22, 20:09   Link #469
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
...Did you like this one or was it too loud? ....
I like the OP for Darker. I do tend to prefer gentler stuff, but the odd harder song really works for me, like the OP to NANA.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-04-22, 20:22   Link #470
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
BONES is one of the most consistent studios out there. Even when their animation quality drops a bit like in season 2 of Eureka 7 it drops from "mind blowing orgasmic" to very good.
Watch the third arc, the episodes lead by the infamous Utsunomiya opening...
Old 2007-04-22, 20:58   Link #471
Edgewalker
Nani ?

so this is going to be a 13 episode ?

Wish it were 24- this series has alot of plot devices. If its going to be 13 it will be interesting to see how BONES answers everything.
Old 2007-04-22, 21:03   Link #472
kauldron26
Med Student

the only thing disappointing about darker to me is the OP. i was really hoping the OP would have more of a JAZZ feel. Like the OP of Cowboy Bebop or Kemonozume. Nowadays, i just skip openings anyways. im getting tired of jpop or whatever its called. I want some good old fashion instrumentals. Jazz really fits the dark, and mysterious atmosphere of this show.
Old 2007-04-22, 23:36   Link #473
Maes Hughes
~Nyan Nyan~

Send a message via MSN to Maes Hughes
I enjoyed episode 2-3 more than the first. We got to know Hei a little, he seems like an interesting enough main character.

What's annoying me is that we haven't been shown much in the way information, the anime is focusing on 2 episode stories instead. I hope this isn't going to turn into another Black Lagoon; meaningless and short arcs tied together without any real advancement in the plot.

The best thing about DtB has to be the animation, looking even better with the 720P versions working on my crappy comp for once. I'd be over the moon with watching it for free if not for he bottom of my monitor turning blue whenever there's a dark scene, forcing me to turn on my 100W lightbulb to mask it and ruin the mood...
Old 2007-04-22, 23:36   Link #474
7Th
Mixtape

I really liked DtB episode 3, would post a more in-deep review if I wasn't so short of time right now, but I'll just edit this tomorrow.

Heh, poor Hei girls, looks like they are all destined to die. She's a recently born contractor that won't probably fulfill her "contract"... that was pretty obvious from the preview...
Old 2007-04-22, 23:55   Link #475
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
so this is going to be a 13 episode ?

Wish it were 24- this series has alot of plot devices. If its going to be 13 it will be interesting to see how BONES answers everything.
There doesn't seem to be any proof that it will only be 13. Considering that no other show has been announced for this time slot and there needs to be about 24 episodes in between now and the return of Code Geass (which I don't watch) according to others who followed that show, my assumption is that this show should be "2 seasons" or 24/26 episodes long. Given the amount of characters and scale of the storyline and similar cast size and pacing to shows like their own Wolf's Rain and Kurau, I'm fully expecting at least 24 (hopefully 26) episodes from Darker Than Black.

The size of the cast and plot and any potential in the majority of the show being in the 2-part format would be likely sadly wasted if the show were only to be 13 episodes (with only 10 left). That would give them tops 6 stories or less and an episode or two to complete the main story, pretty rough given the narrative style and pacing they've developed unless they rushed from now on. I also recall an earlier post saying that in interviews the staff was hinting that Yin is going to get quite a bit of character growth over the course of the series and we haven't even touched on her yet probably after 4 episodes since I don't expect much revelations about her in the climax of Mai's story. Though there's no confirmation either way so I guess we'll have to wait to find out. I'd be sad if this was given the short treatment, this show has way too much potential to be squeezed like that IMO.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2007-04-23 at 02:56.
Old 2007-04-23, 03:14   Link #476
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 3.

Hmm... that was a pretty good ep. Interesting episodic characters, intriguing mystery and some really good character interactions. Only complaint is that none of the characters in this particular episodic plot have any motivations as of yet, but I'd imagine that'd all be dealt with in the next ep. Nonetheless, this is looking more and more like a winner, little by little, which is good since I was a bit pessimistic about this after the first ep.
Old 2007-04-23, 11:28   Link #477
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I was rather concerned about how this show would fare as an episodic adventure, but it looks like it will manage just fine. Ep3 was very good as well. Li is a pretty interesting character, and seems rather friendly without his mask

So... that girl is a new contractor? And Li's powers definitely have to do with electricity.

All in all - a great show, looking towards the next ep.
Old 2007-04-23, 11:33   Link #478
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
So... that girl is a new contractor? And Li's powers definitely have to do with electricity.
& its funny how his type of powers allow him to make a girl happy. Well, thats if this show keeps on pairing him up with females. Though he does make a wonderful brother!

Heh, Hei/Li girls --- so like Ginko.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2007-04-23 at 12:44.
Old 2007-04-23, 16:44   Link #479
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
So... that girl is a new contractor?
actually i think she is more like a doll rather than a contractor but im still having some difficulties telling the difference ~ as i understand it dolls are just empty bodies made to look like the person with a programmed personality build in of that person and when they activate its like the cant remember anything...this doesnt happen to a contractor it seems which is why i think she is a doll but at the same time some of the facts just dont add up >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-04-23, 17:07   Link #480
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Mai is a contractor, whose powers were repressed by the flower that her father has picked up in the Hell's Gate.

When the protection was destroyed and he has started using her power, a new star of a contractor appeared in the sky.

A doll is a thing that has been substituted for a human by implanting memories of the original.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural