AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Nanoha - StrikerS - Episode 08 Rating
Perfect 10 29 27.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 40.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 21.15%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 5.77%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.92%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.92%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-20, 22:42   Link #241
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
I'm probably doing a Bad Thing by not reading all of the thread before commenting, but it's late and I'm just excited. (And tired.)

So far in my view, the infamous last scene of the episode can have two broad interpretations as follows:

Spoiler:

Well, that was a rather depressing rush (contradictory as it may seem). I think I'll go watch some Lucky Star to get my good humour back.
I should think that all these reasons applies to this situation. Of course whether Nanoha was thinking of them is another question but introspection would render tham all valid.

It's like digging, the deeper you go, the more you can come up with.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:45   Link #242
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Location: In a place of extremes. From below freezing to above boiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkellis View Post
- "If you want to fight a real enemy, I'll show you what a real enemy is like."
She may have said that, but she didn't truly fulfill all of the things that would've happened had she been a real enemy. Once again: If Nanoha had acted like their real enemy, Subaru and Teana would both be dead.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:47   Link #243
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyu no Sora View Post
She may have said that, but she didn't truly fulfill all of the things that would've happened had she been a real enemy. Once again: If Nanoha had acted like their real enemy, Subaru and Teana would both be dead.

Or worse, if the person is psycho or likes to torture his prey...
Old 2007-05-20, 22:51   Link #244
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Nanoha Taisen will NOT restart. We're doing fine without them and we've got a nice post count while being on topic. Let's leave it that way.
I was trying to promote harmony here despite our differences. Haru really scared me with his post on that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
Or worse, if the person is psycho or likes to torture his prey...
So it's Hannibal now?! The little girl has come of age...

@Fuyu: She might have been shooting her trainees with the magical equivalent of rubber bullets, which hurt like hell but supposedly don't kill. It still doesn't mitigate the fact that it is dangerous, we'll see how clean-up occurs next week.
Old 2007-05-20, 22:58   Link #245
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Ah, nvm...

Last edited by Estavali; 2007-05-20 at 22:59. Reason: On second thoughts...
Old 2007-05-20, 22:59   Link #246
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
True that she didn't quite completely follow through on that. Though if she had killed them it wouldn't have taught them much of a lesson . Probably that's the point but anyways. Well unless they can remember this in the afterlife, but that's another discussion.

Let's hope we aren't seeing people getting tortured. YnS and bondage is one thing, and we did have Fate getting whipped in the first season, so I guess anything is possible.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:01   Link #247
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
True that she didn't quite completely follow through on that. Though if she had killed them it wouldn't have taught them much of a lesson . Well unless they can remember this in the afterlife, but that's another discussion.
Uh no-no. I meant if Nanoha had actually been an enemy. If that was a real-life situation and they confronted....................Spaghetti for example,(and say he's the psycho type). They'd be dead.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:02   Link #248
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
True that she didn't quite completely follow through on that. Though if she had killed them it wouldn't have taught them much of a lesson . Well unless they can remember this in the afterlife, but that's another discussion.
Funny but I can imagine Nanoha yelling "Remember this in your afterlife!" while using Accel Shooter Magna.

Btw, do you guys agree that for Nanoha...

- Offensive Power varies inversely with friendliness?

- Accel Shooter = Kill while Starlight Breaker = Befriend?
Old 2007-05-20, 23:04   Link #249
KempoCatholic
GaoGaiGarMOE!

OK, finally watched the ep and finished reading through the whole board. <pant, pant>

The first thing that I did after watching this ep was go back and watch the infamous "it's okay if I'm a demon" scene from A's. White Devil is back baby! Having Nanoha do this takes her away from the super-nice coddling trainer that we were sort of being led into believing Nanoha to be. It just shows how Nanoha can be strict if she needs to, just prefers not to.

My hope is that Teana and Subaru are mature enough to take this lesson and learn from it, because it could definitely go either way. Either they both get pissed at Nanoha and the emo spirals out of control, or they finally snap to and get their act together.

Two other things to note, from the training scenes that we all (myself included) immediately forgot about during the last three minutes of the episode:

1- Subaru makes STAIRS out of Wing Road. I know she's made platforms before, but that really surprised me. I love how other characters can stand on the roads that she makes, it really sets Subaru's 'flying' apart from the regular hovering of the rest of the characters.

2- Teana's well on her way to busting out with some gun katas. Especially the part with her blocking Subaru's punches and pointing the gun, I'm hoping isn't just gonna be another random training exercise. I wanna see Teana have to fend of a close combat fighter by blocking and shooting like that. EPIC.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:04   Link #250
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
I suppose Nanoha's example is not so much the "I'll kill you now" enemy, but more of "I'll destroy all that you love one by one and watch you suffer" type. (Less like Book of Darkness, more like Precia Testarossa. And yes, I know that this classification is debatable.)

Like I said, I'm not sure that this is what Nanoha's actual message is, if she does actually have a message.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:11   Link #251
Kha
~ I Do ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempoCatholic View Post
Two other things to note, from the training scenes that we all (myself included) immediately forgot about during the last three minutes of the episode:

1- Subaru makes STAIRS out of Wing Road. I know she's made platforms before, but that really surprised me. I love how other characters can stand on the roads that she makes, it really sets Subaru's 'flying' apart from the regular hovering of the rest of the characters.

2- Teana's well on her way to busting out with some gun katas. Especially the part with her blocking Subaru's punches and pointing the gun, I'm hoping isn't just gonna be another random training exercise. I wanna see Teana have to fend of a close combat fighter by blocking and shooting like that. EPIC.
The problem is most of us are running on that last 4 mins for we haven't bothered to watch the eyebleeder... yet. (For me at least )

She did?! Ok I missed that.

et al Grammaton Cleric! That would really pwn.

@dkellis: Nicely phrased, that sums up the arguement neatly.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:12   Link #252
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Orange's a bad example as an enemy that would pull that White Devil act...Wait, he's damn good. Since he has no interest in Teana as a subject, he'd bind Subaru and kill Tea, while taking Subaru home for "inspection".

Anyway, Nanoha was a little harsh, but I think she should've acted this way towards them from the very beginning. They weren't just regular trainees, they're actual TSAB soldiers working on frontlines, even if still inexperienced, and any stupid or reckless actions from them will not only endanger themselves, but their teammates and superiors. I blame Nanoha slightly that she never put it into them the "you make one mistake, you die" control of her trained team early on, but aside from that, she's fully justified. It's not like she didn't give Teana a chance, which she totally blew.

Besides, didn't she herself say that the training division she was at is pretty much Spartan too? Makes me wonder how Spartan Nanoha's trainer was...

I hope that Nanoha got legitly 0wned, not by some cheap sneak attack.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:21   Link #253
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Orange's a bad example as an enemy that would pull that White Devil act...Wait, he's damn good. Since he has no interest in Teana as a subject, he'd bind Subaru and kill Tea, while taking Subaru home for "inspection".

Anyway, Nanoha was a little harsh, but I think she should've acted this way towards them from the very beginning. They weren't just regular trainees, they're actual TSAB soldiers working on frontlines, even if still inexperienced, and any stupid or reckless actions from them will not only endanger themselves, but their teammates and superiors. I blame Nanoha slightly that she never put it into them the "you make one mistake, you die" control of her trained team early on, but aside from that, she's fully justified. It's not like she didn't give Teana a chance, which she totally blew.

Besides, didn't she herself say that the training division she was at is pretty much Spartan too? Makes me wonder how Spartan Nanoha's trainer was...

I hope that Nanoha got legitly 0wned, not by some cheap sneak attack.
Let us pray that it is so. I don't know how they're gonna pull this one off though. I'm hoping for a good and pleasant surprise.
Old 2007-05-20, 23:21   Link #254
Once and Current Subber

I definitely read it as something Nanoha did intentionally.

Subaru does something a bit reckless to try to score on Nanoha - okay, she gets blocked, Nanoha says "hey, that's a bit reckless" rather than shooting her down on approach. What Tia tried, though, was way outside the profile. Not just in a "that was crazy" sense, but in a "you forgot why we're out here in the first place, stupid" sense. Nanoha's already delivered at least one speech to Tia about how she's the marksman and everything - going in with the bayonet isn't just opening her up to attack, but it's kind of ignoring what she's supposed to be doing in the first place.

So that's why Nanoha catches the knife in the hand instead of deflecting (come on, she can block Vita being serious from two directions ten years ago, you think she's being overwhelmed HERE?) By taking the cut, Nanoha's driving home the point that Tiana's completely forgotten the purpose of the exercise, and her role in the combat team.

It could have (should have) stopped there, but Tia's got her head up her rear, and decided to keep going. Very, very bad, for several reasons. Nanoha's still the training instructor, so if she says "you're overdoing it", you probably are. Also, Tiana's charging up her big, I-can't-control-it-well attack to shoot at someone who is standing right next to her partner, who if we remember got clobbered just last episode by Tia screwing up. Finally, Tia's obviously leaving herself wide open and attacking without any thought of defense, directly after Nanoha just pointed out that was a bad thing that is going to get her killed.

So Nanoha goes out of her way to smack Tia with her own technique (that wasn't an Axel Shooter) and gives her a big set of bruises. Well, okay, that's her MO, and it's hardly outside of the military envelope either. I also took the Subaru bind as "don't get in the way", though doubtless there's also a "pay attention" aspect too. If Nanoha's doing this specifically to get through to Tia that going all-out with no defense is only a way to join her brother, it's no good if Subaru hops in the way or anything like that - obviously the problem is with Tia herself rather than Subaru and Tia's teamwork.

So next episode, doubtless we'll see a bummed Tia who's depressed, not just because she lost, but because Nanoha unloaded on her; this is a perfect opportunity for Fate (or maybe Vita) to step in and say "join the club", and explain to Tia that when Nanoha does that, it's because the other person is being stupid and not listening to the good sense coming out of Nanoha's mouth. All that put together might be enough to get Tia's head back together - or rather, we can assume that Tia's not going to get drummed out of the unit at this juncture, and so presumably she WILL get her head back together, and this is the obvious way for it to happen after ep 8. Also it opens up a line of inquiry into Nanoha's own past, which offers opportunity for the flashbacks in the preview...
Old 2007-05-20, 23:25   Link #255
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
If you consider all her former opponents as life-combat instructors, I guess that's pretty Spartan to begin with.

And it must be something really hefty, since even RH was damaged as well.

@Avatar_notADV: Sort of like the goalkeeper going up to the front?
Old 2007-05-20, 23:29   Link #256
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Say, I forgot to mention this before, but Teana's brother was a Flight Mage. Anyone know his actual rank?
Old 2007-05-20, 23:29   Link #257
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-20, 23:30   Link #258
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

They mentioned: "Itou Ku-Ei", no?

Ehhh, that's, like, Captain (Flight)?
Old 2007-05-20, 23:38   Link #259
Fuyu no Sora
Mistress of Impatience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
They mentioned: "Itou Ku-Ei", no?

Ehhh, that's, like, Captain (Flight)?
Nah, actually Lieutenant. Wow, Teana's brother really ranked up fast huh?
Old 2007-05-20, 23:41   Link #260
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Sigh, this is why I hate school on Mondays... No other days has the Thread progress this quickly...
Closed Thread