AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-07, 22:29   Link #441
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
Oh, before I forget, I left a poll on my profile on FF.net. If some of you to whom have read my fic could check it out, that'd be great. I was just curious about something.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/263090/JonBob0008
Old 2009-11-07, 22:31   Link #442
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

@Johnbob: I had the pleasure of reading what of your fic was up before I joined the board. I'll probably binge whatever updates have hit since tomorrow, but I just wanted to let you know I've enjoyed it so far. You probably get a lot of comments on a chapter by chapter basis, but I think I'll reserve a sweeping analysis/critique of the work for when it's done.
Old 2009-11-07, 22:34   Link #443
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
@Johnbob: I had the pleasure of reading what of your fic was up before I joined the board. I'll probably binge whatever updates have hit since tomorrow, but I just wanted to let you know I've enjoyed it so far. You probably get a lot of comments on a chapter by chapter basis, but I think I'll reserve a sweeping analysis/critique of the work for when it's done.
Thank you. I wish i could read your fic and do the same, but I'm not familiar with the FLCL.
Old 2009-11-07, 22:39   Link #444
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonbob0008 View Post
Thank you. I wish i could read your fic and do the same, but I'm not familiar with the FLCL.
You know, I'm surprised by how many people aren't familiar with it. I think I had a skewed perception of its popularity because when I was watching it, every other anime I was watching concurrent to it was less known, or at least I had more friends who knew FLCL than anything else. However, I will be going back and explaining any of the FLCL story that is essential bit by bit, so perhaps when it's done and read in a short time, it will make sense to even the uninitiated? We shall see.
Old 2009-11-07, 22:44   Link #445
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Well, I'm more apt to think that there isn't a lot of crossover being fans of TMoHS and FLCL. They are pretty radically different shows (I know some of the basics of the show but still haven't watched it yet). It would surprise me if a lot of people here haven't heard of or seen FLCL.

Then again, I haven't watched any new (or old) anime in a while. I've been too busy doing other things (Like playing FFVI Advance).
Old 2009-11-07, 22:49   Link #446
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Controversy View Post
You know, I'm surprised by how many people aren't familiar with it. I think I had a skewed perception of its popularity because when I was watching it, every other anime I was watching concurrent to it was less known, or at least I had more friends who knew FLCL than anything else. However, I will be going back and explaining any of the FLCL story that is essential bit by bit, so perhaps when it's done and read in a short time, it will make sense to even the uninitiated? We shall see.
Pre-2000 animes have largely faded in popularity, with the exception of the big three (DBZ, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon) and the cult classic NGE. Sad, but that appears to be the case.

Oh, and Ranma 1/2, simply because Ranma 1/2 has been crossed over with pretty much everything, so I can't imagine there being many fanfic readers/writers with out at least passing knowledge of it.

Jonbob - Given the incredible number of reviews that you've received, I very much doubt that you need more feedback, but I can check your fanfic out if you like. I probably have a chance to look at it tomorrow. I should say, though, that comedy isn't my speciality. I'm more of a drama/action/suspense man myself.
Old 2009-11-07, 23:01   Link #447
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Pre-2000 animes have largely faded in popularity, with the exception of the big three (DBZ, Pokemon, and Sailor Moon) and the cult classic NGE. Sad, but that appears to be the case.

Oh, and Ranma 1/2, simply because Ranma 1/2 has been crossed over with pretty much everything, so I can't imagine there being many fanfic readers/writers with out at least passing knowledge of it.
Agreed.

Quote:
Jonbob - Given the incredible number of reviews that you've received, I very much doubt that you need more feedback, but I can check your fanfic out if you like. I probably have a chance to look at it tomorrow. I should say, though, that comedy isn't my speciality. I'm more of a drama/action/suspense man myself.
You'll find plenty of drama/action/suspense in my fic. Trust me. I've tried to make the fic emulate the style of the novels and anime as much as possible. There's as little bit of everything in it.

The only concern I have is that you'll dislike my concepts for Haruhi's parents, as I know you have your own ideas as to who they would be. You're a very mature person, though, so I figure that you'd probably see past it, even if you don't agree with it.

In any case, I'm always happy to hear more feedback in any form (other than immature flaming which I've been lucky to avoid). I'd respect your opinion on the matter, either way.
Old 2009-11-08, 00:29   Link #448
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Oh, before I forget, I left a poll on my profile on FF.net. If some of you to whom have read my fic could check it out, that'd be great. I was just curious about something.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/263090/JonBob0008
I don't read fanfics, but entered in your profile out of curiosity. And wow, I was stuned! 25 chapters? 700 reviews? These are farly rare numbers for anime fanfic aren't it? Last time I saw something similar was in the Harry Potter fandom (back when I still was a HP fan)!

I haven't read nothing yet, but I will surelly do. Then I post a more usefull post.

Good luck with taht project, I hope it still be popular until the very end. (well, unless it actually sucks and it is popular by virtue of the Random Number God, then I hopw people stop reading it. I believe it is not the case, however)
Old 2009-11-08, 00:42   Link #449
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I don't read fanfics, but entered in your profile out of curiosity. And wow, I was stuned! 25 chapters? 700 reviews? These are farly rare numbers for anime fanfic aren't it? Last time I saw something similar was in the Harry Potter fandom (back when I still was a HP fan)!
For anything other than to more popular anime, books and TV shows, having a review count in the hundreds is quite a feat (the popular ones can have review counts in the thousands). Still, review numbers aren't everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
I haven't read nothing yet, but I will surelly do. Then I post a more usefull post.

Good luck with taht project, I hope it still be popular until the very end. (well, unless it actually sucks and it is popular by virtue of the Random Number God, then I hopw people stop reading it. I believe it is not the case, however)
My biggest fear has been that my fic is overrated. I've worked really hard to try and make sure that it's a quality work of fanfiction. I know not everyone will like it, but as long as the savvier readers say it's good, then I know that I'm doing something right. That's way I promote it on this site. I trust that most of you would know if it really sucks or not.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's also the longest TMoHS fic ever written, as of the last update.

It might take a while to read through it if you haven't started.
Old 2009-11-08, 00:58   Link #450
Heatth

Quote:
For anything other than to more popular anime, books and TV shows, having a review count in the hundreds is quite a feat (the popular one can have review counts in the thousands). Still, review numbers aren't everything.
Actually, back in my days as a Harry Potter fanfic reader, the number of reviews were a good filter. Sure, many reveiws don't mea the story is good, and many good storys aren't really noticed by crowds. However, if it has many reviews, it is almost certanly noteworthable. So, when I doubt, I go for the reviews number (tough indication is always better)

Quote:
My biggest fear has been that my fic is overrated. I've worked really hard to try and make sure that it's a quality work of fanfiction. I know not everyone will like it, but as long as the savvier readers say it's good, then I know that I'm doing something right. That's way I promote it on this site. I trust that most of you would know if it really sucks or not.

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's also the longest TMoHS fic ever written, as of the last update.

My last line was a joke, you know.

Anyway, I was looking in fanfiction.net for other Haruhi's fics, for comparision. There is another fic, You Got HaruhiRolled! (by superstarultra) that have almost as many reviews... and more then twice chapters. (and it is a comedy fic).

Your fanfic with the bigger review/chapter ration I found: 28:1. (aside, maybe, oneshots. maybe)

Anyway, I will try to start reading tomorrow (tonight is too late).
Old 2009-11-08, 01:07   Link #451
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:

No, I don't think your fanfiction is overrated. What I think is that it has received a good deal of promotion. You have a recommendation with some reinforcing comments on TVTropes, which is an insanely popular site, you get traffic from your notices here on Animesuki, which is a pretty large community, it's about an anime that is riding a high tide of popularity of memetic proportions, and finally, it's rather large. At a word count of--if I'm reading this correctly--over 200,000, what you have here would have to be published in multiple volumes.

That last factor bears consideration. For a variety of reasons, there is a standing assumption made in the typical fanfiction.net reader's head that size will be proportional to quality. While this isn't always the case, it's actually true (at least at the order of six-digit word counts) more often than it's not for two reasons. One, even a bad writer will get substantially better in the process of writing something of greater-than-novel length if they open themselves up to criticism, and a bad writer rarely has the patience and passion to get nearly that far anyway.

Now combine this with the fact that your first chapters establish that you are certainly not a bad writer. I think the people who go as far as saying 'pure genius' or what have you are going a bit far, but you are definitely a good writer. This means people have large chunks of good writing to look forward to, and being realistic here for a second, on a spectrum of quality, the vast majority of that spectrum is dominated by a range where a whole lot of good will always be more edifying than a moderate amount of great (rare) or a small amount of excellent (even rarer). You have contributed a great deal of value to this fandom's literary community, that's the simple fact of it.
Old 2009-11-08, 01:23   Link #452
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

I know this. I know that the fic is popular and the vast majority of people who read it enjoy it. I do believe that I'm a good writer. I'm just trying to be modest.

I should reword my statement. My biggest fear is this: Do I deserve the top spot? My fic has most reviews AND the largest review per chapter ratio (Even the oneshots don't beat it). I'm still not sure why my fic became so popular. Sure, quality writing helps, but what is it about the fic that has drawn so much attention. Is it my OCs? Is it the premise of the story? Is it multiple factors? I just don't know.

When I started that fic, I certainly didn't have the intention that I would go create the most popular Haruhi fanfic. I just wanted to write a quality story (and have a blast doing it). I think that's why I want some you guys to look at it.

Ultimately, I want to learn why this fic came out so good so that I can continue to have success in other furture writing endeavors.

Anyway, thank you all for the feedback and support, and I'd be really happy if any of you guys who haven't read it yet check it out and tell me what you think. I need more data!!!
Old 2009-11-08, 01:31   Link #453
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Quote:
I should reword my statement. My biggest fear is this: Do I deserve the top spot? My fic has most reviews AND the largest review per chapter ratio (Even the oneshots don't beat it). I'm still not sure why my fic became so popular. Sure, quality writing helps, but what is it about the fic that has drawn so much attention. Is it my OCs? Is it the premise of the story? Is it multiple factors? I just don't know.
Again, the size factor helps. If you figure that every installment you probably get new people commenting, and repeat commentary from established readers, it'll snowball. Simple as that.
Old 2009-11-08, 01:36   Link #454
Heatth

Quote:
I should reword my statement. My biggest fear is this: Do I deserve the top spot? My fic has most reviews AND the largest review per chapter ratio (Even the oneshots don't beat it). I'm still not sure why my fic became so popular. Sure, quality writing helps, but what is it about the fic that has drawn so much attention. Is it my OCs? Is it the premise of the story? Is it multiple factors? I just don't know.:
Another factor is the periodcity. It have been about a chapter by week right? (one every 8 days, actually). This is a pretty good rate. It is easy to get tired if the updates are rare.

PP:
I am kinda scared now. When I first post, it was "just" 699 reviews (I just rounded to 700). Now it is already 701. 2 reviews in one hour!In a non-update day. And these reveis apparently have nothing to do with taht discussion (which could explain). No wonder why there is so many.
Old 2009-11-08, 01:42   Link #455
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

They likely help, but I know of other fic that have done similar things and not quite hit it off like mine. *shrugs*

In any case, my priority should be to finish the next chapter. I tried looking at James Randi's website, but didn't find any obvious means of contacting him directly. I'm sure if I digged a little deeper, I might find something. I'm a bit nervous about it, honestly.
Old 2009-11-08, 01:46   Link #456
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
They likely help, but I know of other fic that have done similar things and not quite hit it off like mine. *shrugs*

In any case, my priority should be to finish the next chapter. I tried looking at James Randi's website, but didn't find any obvious means of contacting him directly. I'm sure if I digged a little deeper, I might find something. I'm a bit nervous about it, honestly.
From what I've read from others, and gathered...

Spoiler for Fanfic spoilers:

Anyway, there's not always a rhyme or reason for striking gold. Sometimes it just happens.

Harry Potter itself, for example, isn't the very best fiction out there... but it resonates with the most people out of the fiction that is there, and that's what counts.
Old 2009-11-08, 01:51   Link #457
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
From what I've read from others, and gathered...

Spoiler for Fanfic spoilers:

Anyway, there's not always a rhyme or reason for striking gold. Sometimes it just happens.

Harry Potter itself, for example, isn't the very best fiction out there... but it resonates with the most people out of the fiction that is there, and that's what counts.
Thanks, and I think your point about the title is a good one. For some reason, when I started this, I thought about the movie Meet the Parents and I was like "that'll work." It was a similar premise, anyway.
Old 2009-11-08, 02:02   Link #458
Triple_R
*Author

Jonbob - Your first two chapters....

Spoiler for Quick review:

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-11-08 at 02:20.
Old 2009-11-08, 02:25   Link #459
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Quote:
Jonbob - Your first two chapters....

Spoiler for Quick review:
Spoiler for Story Spoilers:

In any case, thanks for the feedback. I don't really think the story takes off until the second half of chapter three, really, and you've definitely haven't seen the best parts by a long shot.
Old 2009-11-08, 02:47   Link #460
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity

it sucks I didn't know there was a Meet the Suzumiyas update until this morning

well, since I don't have an FF account I'll comment on it here

Spoiler for MtS cp. 25 spoiler, new to story should not read:

Keep up the good work, Jonbob, and thanks for another chapter!
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction