AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-06-16, 11:58   Link #101
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Usually, the best gifts are things that can only be found in your country.

For example, being Canadian, in my case real Maple Syrup makes a great gift. It's regionally specific, commonly associated with my country and seems to be quite the rare treat in Japan. Similarly, something like Roots clothing has also been well recieved.

You basically just need to find something with gerenal appeal since you won't know the likes and dislikes of the family ahead of time.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 12:15   Link #102
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

Agreed. The best gifts are those that can only be found in your country.
Make sure it can only be found in your country.
I wonder what you could bring from America. A good number of American things can be found in Japan. It'd be cool if you could bring something genuinely American [Levi jeans [wait, scratch that], a Hooter's shirt, etc]. I like the book idea mention above.
The Japanese exchange students that we hosted gave us something to hang off the rearview mirror of my car. Maybe a pair of fuzzy dice would do. Then again, a good number of Japanese don't own cars...
I don't think you should bring anything technological, since Japan has us beat.
Slade xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 15:02   Link #103
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
I stayed with a host family a couple of years ago on a college program.

Along with the gifts for my host family I also transported the gifts from the college to the city mayor and others.

As we were coming from Michigan they were things bought at the "Michigan store", where everything is a product of Mi and packaged in a Mi theam.

So, not only national items but even more local products would be a good ideal too.

The only problem with gift wraping could be airport security, they don't like wraped packages. So maybe take paper with you and do it there or a very nice gift bag.

Last edited by Sakaki; 2004-06-16 at 15:58.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 15:09   Link #104
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai
It is 'Doki-Doki'.
'Tokidoki' is 'sometimes'.
ex. Doki-doki shite imasu. (I am excited)

Dammit I always confuse the two! I'm a failure at life WAHHHHHH *commits seppuku*
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-16, 17:51   Link #105
abubo

If you're from the States, get them bags of beef-jerky. Appearantly this was a very American omiage to buy . I've seen lots of tourists buying jerkies for their folks back home. In fact, if you goto some store which specializes in Japanese tourists, you'll usually see a whole section dedicted to beef jerky.

I don't know if this is still true but years ago western-related stuff was also considered "American". Get them things like cow-boy hats if you're from the Southwest.

I think almost anything goes for young people... check out at this Japanese page listing omiage from Hawaii.. this guy considers a tube of Ben-Gay and Listerine breath mints proper Hawaiian gifts
abubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 04:11   Link #106
aurora704

thanx a lot! i got them st. louis stuff cause that's where i'm from. i will be heading towards japan in a half hour. i hope i do ok over there. thanx again for the suggestions!
aurora704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 11:27   Link #107
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old 2004-06-17, 14:46   Link #108
kakashilion
has big feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora704
hi. i am leaving for a 2 week exhange program in japan tomorrow. i ended up getting my host mother 2 Bath and Body Works body washes by accident. would body wash be offensive? because i don't wan't to imply that she is a smelly person or anything.
do i have to gift wrap the presents, or can i leave them in gift bags or something?
and also, what would be the phrase to say when i am giving them their gifts?

oh yes, how do i say something along the lines of "i am really excited (to meet you)" and also "i'm nervous."

if you have any other suggestions, please give them!
Gifts->
my grandmas friend went to vist her daughter in Japan.
Her daughter told her that you have to bring gifts for japanese people but they hate being given money.
My grandmothers friend brought them little bottles of scottish whiskey and they loved it so much they brought her a free return ticket to japan when ever she wants to go back.
In Japan they have like bottles of scottish whiskey for like £30 cause its gotta be transported. But if you buy him here (im in UK) theyre like £8 a bottle.
Of course don't go giving the kids scotch whiskey but if you give it to the father it should be a hit.
Like i said they love the stuff (according to my grandmas friend)

other things my grandmas friend was telling me about->

get ready to do a lot of bowing rather than handshaking
in most hotels and places your gonna have to take your shoes off and wear slippers. Some hotels even have seperate slippers for toilets. Oh and apparently the baths are sunken into the floor.

Other than that you should have fun. My grandmas friend said how well she was treated on the japanese airline, in and around the towns etc.

oh and lucky you for getting to go to japan. Could you tell me how much the flight costs.
thanks.
kakashilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-06-17, 15:19   Link #109
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

@kakashilion - They've already left. ^^;It was also mentioned that it was a exchange program of sorts, so the costs of airfare were probably offset a bit.
Old 2004-08-20, 09:52   Link #110
Mugen
Tha slick

Send a message via MSN to Mugen
things to do in japan

o.k me and my friend are going to japan next week. We both got guide books etc. but of course they dont cover everything. What i was hoping is that some of you guys that have been to kyoto or tokyo could list top things to do in the citys, - possibly things that arent covered in guide books. Anything to do with anime, i.e shops museums etc. would be good. Well basically just things we shouldnt miss out on. If yoiu could list its location/adress it would be most appreciated, - thanks
Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 10:51   Link #111
Hisoka2k4

Score a hot asian chick first!
Hisoka2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 11:04   Link #112
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen
o.k me and my friend are going to japan next week. We both got guide books etc. but of course they dont cover everything. What i was hoping is that some of you guys that have been to kyoto or tokyo could list top things to do in the citys, - possibly things that arent covered in guide books. Anything to do with anime, i.e shops museums etc. would be good. Well basically just things we shouldnt miss out on. If yoiu could list its location/adress it would be most appreciated, - thanks
Remember the search function is your friend! This has been dealt with in many topics before try searching for "visiting Japan" and you should get a slew of threads with useful information.
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 11:08   Link #113
veracromil

Send a message via AIM to veracromil
Hmm, you could play some ddr and get a rush off of Japanese snacks such as pocky, koala's march, hello panda, etc.
veracromil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-20, 16:37   Link #114
Mugen
Tha slick

Send a message via MSN to Mugen
wow guys nearly all of that information was totally useless
Mugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-21, 03:52   Link #115
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen
wow guys nearly all of that information was totally useless
Try reading this merged thread now..........
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 05:59   Link #116
Sephon
Inrecognizable lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Sephon
Just had to add that you guys are awsome, thanks a lot for all the information about Japan.

I'm one of those guys that always thought about going to Japan, not to live but to go sightseeing and experience the culture.
After whats said in the thread I'm compelled to visit Kyoto instead of Tokyo, so I'll guess I will take a trip to Tokyo and Kyoto so that I'll get a bit of both my dreams.

I really have to take some Japanese lessons first though, so I at least can speak some basic sentances, hopefully I can find quick lessons which only focuses on comprehension and conversation, since reading is a bit overkill for just a quick 2-week visit.

The only pleasure I have had from Japan and the culture is meeting Shigeru Myamoto
Spoiler for Me and Shigeru 2000:
Sephon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-27, 20:53   Link #117
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephon
I really have to take some Japanese lessons first though, so I at least can speak some basic sentances, hopefully I can find quick lessons which only focuses on comprehension and conversation, since reading is a bit overkill for just a quick 2-week visit.

The only pleasure I have had from Japan and the culture is meeting Shigeru Myamoto
You probably won't need those Japanese lessons if you're going to be staying in major metropolitan areas. Most people in Japan can speak enough English to help you should you be in need of it and you'd be suprised by the number of signs with Enlish on them. If you're desperate, get a phrase book, they're infinitely more valuable then people give them credit for.
Old 2004-08-28, 05:36   Link #118
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
You probably won't need those Japanese lessons if you're going to be staying in major metropolitan areas. Most people in Japan can speak enough English to help you should you be in need of it and you'd be suprised by the number of signs with Enlish on them. If you're desperate, get a phrase book, they're infinitely more valuable then people give them credit for.
Maybe I'm in the wrong part of Tokyo or something, but most of the non-corporate Japanese people with whom I interact don't speak English all that well or at all. You don't need lessons for a short trip, but as Mr_Paper mentioned, a good phrase book will be a lifesaver. A good map for Tokyo, for example, will be very helpful as well; the ones in the guidebooks are, truthfully, terrible and not detailed at all.

Bring your sense of humor also - things are not going to go as smoothly as you'd like - but if you're traveling to a different country and/or culture, you should do that anyway.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 07:25   Link #119
Carpe Jugulum
Kessen Satsu

Send a message via AIM to Carpe Jugulum Send a message via MSN to Carpe Jugulum
currently in japan

hey, me and my friend are currently in japan we arrived a day ago and are staying in kyoto but will be going to tokyo in 5 days, we were wondering if you knew anywhere particularly good to go whilst we are here we have heard about anime places where you go just to read manga etc, does anyone know where any of these places are or even if they exist .
if anyone lives in either kyoto or tokyo and knows of any local places which would be good please let us know
thanks alot.
Carpe Jugulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-01, 08:09   Link #120
Cheesemon
Inactive Member

http://www.beochan.com/guides/tokyo/index.html is a great guide for anime places in Tokyo.

But my favorite anime place in Tokyo is Tokyo Dome City. It's not all anime, it's kinda like "we got some anime, but not enough to be overwhelming." There's this one store in Tokyo Dome's Sky Theater, I think it's the Shonen Jump store, that sells stuff from Naruto, One Piece, Prince of Tennis, Bobobo, Sailor Moon etc that I believe may be exclusive merchandise. You can get to Tokyo Dome by going to Suidobashi, about 5 minutes from Tokyo Station by train

If you want overwhelming, just walk along the Akihabara district. 5 minutes north from Tokyo Station, I think.

And I gotta plug Bandai Museum. The most awesome museum ever -- I mean, Gundam Cafe!! It's a little hard to get to though, just PM me if you want directions. I also put a gazillion photos of the place on my blog if you're interested. ^^
Cheesemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel