AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fate/ Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-28, 09:41   Link #3741
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
What did Nasu say exactly regarding the subject?
Ryougi Shiki can only fight average Servants defensively, i.e. not getting killed.

Tohno Shiki was not mentioned in the list as one that can fight Servants, so he is assumed to be incapable to do so.
Touko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 10:53   Link #3742
Doria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touko View Post
There are different versions. There are versions where she was a Faerie, and there are versions where she was blood-kin of Arthur.

They picked the specific one where incest was involved, made it purposeful instead of accidental, and further exploited it to make it more wtf. And that "making Sabre a futa" part just adds to the wtf.

It's lol Japan. Quit white-knighting. Even the production team and Type Moon felt it was wtf.
Except you make it sound like all these versions are equally well known and/or influential in British literature (originally) and later culture. This is not the case. What is the case, as even a lazy wikipedia search will reveal, is that for at least 700-800 years, Mordred has been widely and usually associated with incest in relation to Arthur (albeit with different women).

It is not that they happened to pick the single version where this is true. Most of the literary treatments of Arthur, which shape our modern understanding of the myth and legend, use a variant on this relationship.

(Now, the gender swapping... I have nothing really to say on that matter, if you're discussing that specifically. Clearly, that is taking some poetic license as the constraints of their particular story demanded. As far as that goes, I guess you're right if you're just saying it's lol fiction.)
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 12:22   Link #3743
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doria View Post
Except you make it sound like all these versions are equally well known and/or influential in British literature (originally) and later culture. This is not the case. What is the case, as even a lazy wikipedia search will reveal, is that for at least 700-800 years, Mordred has been widely and usually associated with incest in relation to Arthur (albeit with different women).

It is not that they happened to pick the single version where this is true. Most of the literary treatments of Arthur, which shape our modern understanding of the myth and legend, use a variant on this relationship.
If you are going to all Wikipedia on this, lol, then Wikipedia says the most prevalent version is that the incest was accidental.

Type Moon had to pick the version where the incest was committed intentionally and specifically by Morgan(if there was indeed such a version), with further malicious plans, and then throw in the futa.

I don't see how your "popular version" argument works. It's still "lol Japan".
Old 2012-06-28, 12:30   Link #3744
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar_Lord View Post
If Zero Berserker had been summoned as a sane Servant, would he still hate Saber enough to doggedly attack her at every chance?
I think Berserker dogged Saber in spite of the Mad Enhancement, not because of it. So if Zero Berserker had been sane, he probably would've attacked her even sooner and reveal himself even sooner too.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 12:50   Link #3745
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I think Berserker dogged Saber in spite of the Mad Enhancement, not because of it. So if Zero Berserker had been sane, he probably would've attacked her even sooner and reveal himself even sooner too.
No, Lancelot activated Mad Enhancement himself because he recognized Sabre and did not want to face her as himself. Lancelot is kind of a shy (not sure if it's the right word, maybe introverted) and hardworking guy.

The rabid Lancelot you saw was a mixture of Lancelot's regret and insanity at work.

If he had no Mad Enhancement, it might actually force him to confront Sabre about all their issues eventually. It is very likely that it would have turned out differently.
Old 2012-06-28, 12:53   Link #3746
GDB

I thought Mad Enhancement was activated when he was summoned via Zouken's two extra lines? I didn't think it was something that could be turned on/off like a light switch, outside of when they were on the brink of death (apparently...).
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 12:55   Link #3747
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I thought Mad Enhancement was activated when he was summoned via Zouken's two extra lines? I didn't think it was something that could be turned on/off like a light switch, outside of when they were on the brink of death (apparently...).
The verses were to place him into the Class.

Lancelot activated Mad Enhancement himself. And I don't think it was turned off ever after that.

EDIT:
Some more info.
Spoiler:
Old 2012-06-28, 15:46   Link #3748
Doria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I realize it's inconsistent with the quotation from FSN above, but I think this description is more accurate per Lancelot for FZ, at least based on the novels. It may be an inconsistency in the novels versus the game mechanics, but GDB's description is certainly how they at least ostensibly explain the way it works.

Very possible there is a clearer explanation in FSN itself, as quoted, but it does not seem to apply to Lancelot. Novel 4 clearly says that he's only able to revert to sanity after Kariya's death because the contract that forces the Mad Enhancement is then nullified. Hence, after Kariya dies, Lancelot starts to fade, but he's sane (or at least not Mad Enhanced) as he does.

It's in Act 16 of volume 4. I apologize for not having a specific page handy for you, but the book isn't nearby. Anyhow, they seem to state that he's released from the spell because the contract he was summoned under is gone.
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 18:18   Link #3749
Touko

Zero Material described that Lancelot chose to go into Mad Enhancement.

The part you quoted only talked about cancelling of Mad Enhancement, it did not talk about how it was activated. Mad Enhancement always cancels before the Servant poofs. See Hercules.
Old 2012-06-28, 18:37   Link #3750
chaos_alfa

Quote:

The part you quoted only talked about cancelling of Mad Enhancement, it did not talk about how it was activated. Mad Enhancement always cancels before the Servant poofs. See Hercules.
He didn't activate it himself, when he was being called he welcomed the madness. Becoming a beast was the only way to be released from the shackles of being the ideal knight and express his hatred.

Spoiler for Light Novel Excerpt:
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 19:01   Link #3751
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
He didn't activate it himself, when he was being called he welcomed the madness. Becoming a beast was the only way to be released from the shackles of being the ideal knight and express his hatred.

Spoiler for Light Novel Excerpt:
It was his rationale for answering the call. Embracing the summon does not mean instant activation of Mad Enhancement.

Spoiler:

Both Fate/Stay Night and Zero Materials suggested that someone, be it Master or Servant, activates Mad Enhancement. The Fate/Zero novel is ambiguous.
Old 2012-06-29, 02:30   Link #3752
chaos_alfa

Quote:
It was his rationale for answering the call. Embracing the summon does not mean instant activation of Mad Enhancement.

Spoiler:

Both Fate/Stay Night and Zero Materials suggested that someone, be it Master or Servant, activates Mad Enhancement. The Fate/Zero novel is ambiguous.

What do you mean with Zero Material the light novel or some other source?
Old 2012-06-29, 02:33   Link #3753
mAc Chaos
King of Heroes

There's some supplementary materials for both FSN and Fate/Zero called the Materials Collection.
mAc Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 05:42   Link #3754
demino_hellsin
That one guy

so mad enhancement is self-doping by the servant? And they have a choice in the matter?
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 15:18   Link #3755
Touko

Quote:
Originally Posted by demino_hellsin View Post
so mad enhancement is self-doping by the servant? And they have a choice in the matter?
Either by Master or Servant.

Although it seems like you can't turn it off once you turn it on.
Old 2012-06-29, 19:16   Link #3756
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Either by Master or Servant.

Although it seems like you can't turn it off once you turn it on.
Has there ever been a Berserker without Mad Enhancement?
Old 2012-06-30, 01:33   Link #3757
Touko

Berserkers always get Mad Enhancement, because it is a skill that comes with the Container.

You are guaranteed to get it, as long as you are Berserker.
Old 2012-06-30, 04:15   Link #3758
demino_hellsin
That one guy

so it's not confirmed that mad enhancement can't be turned off?
Old 2012-06-30, 05:26   Link #3759
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Berserkers always get Mad Enhancement, because it is a skill that comes with the Container.

You are guaranteed to get it, as long as you are Berserker.
Your contradicting yourself. How is Mad Enhancement a choice if every Berserk gets it.

Quote:

Quote:
Spoiler:
But this part is strange, it suggest Mad Enhancement is a choice.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2012-06-30 at 06:29.
Old 2012-06-30, 05:42   Link #3760
demino_hellsin
That one guy

I think he means that you get mad enhancement, but there's a choice not to activate it.