AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-02-19, 09:40   Link #1
YoSneaky

Legend of the Dragoon

Does anyone remember this game from way back then in 2000?

In my opinion, it has one of the best plots of all the PS1 games and PS2 game.

It was seriously an awesome game with great graphics at its time.
YoSneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 09:56   Link #2
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Would love to play it. In fact, I did play one of my friends' disks for a while, but it was scratched and kept crashing at one point, so I never really gotten to play it. And since the game is virtually impossible to get in Europe...

*sigh*
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 10:16   Link #3
YoSneaky

Spoiler for LOD Story:

Brings back good memories. They need to make a remake.
Old 2009-02-19, 11:33   Link #4
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Rose is without a doubt the most kickass girl in a videogame.

Ever.

The game had one huge issue though: as you progressed, turning into Dragoons simply became useless and even detrimental becuase your final human combo was far easier to pull off and far better than your dragoon combo.

And when you transformed into a dragoon, there was always some enemy mechanism that punished you for doing so.

"You transform into a dragoon. Lloyd whacks you with Dragon Buster for a one hit KO".

Indeed they do need to remake it, with a better dragoon system, and better voice acting.

Awesome story though.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 11:58   Link #5
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers

Legend of the Dragoon was probably among the best games on the PlayStation. I never did finish it though but it was a lot of fun.

Rose was indeed awesome

And yeah I remember Lloyd doing that. You could counter it though with an Accessory but it required you knowing in advance the enemy would punish you for using Dragoon.
Old 2009-02-19, 13:43   Link #6
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Whatever you do, DON'T play the PAL version of this game. The conversion is so bad it ruins the game's timed combos.
Old 2009-02-19, 13:47   Link #7
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Really? Never had any problems with them, at least for as far as I could get.

Moot point though, since the PAL version is virtually unobtainable anyway. T_T
Old 2009-02-19, 14:48   Link #8
Clarste
Human

I remember it, and actually tried replaying it recently (I found it in a bargain bin). Unfortunately it crashed repeatedly, right after a boss. Which means I had to fight the boss over and over again, and it wasn't exactly easy either. Eventually I managed to get past that point, but then my arms starting hurting from all the button mashing and timed hits (well, technically they started hurting because I was using the computer with bad arm posture, but playing LoD certainly didn't help). And then I forgot about it.

Maybe I should get back to it. It's hard to respect the graphics though. I wish they'd stuck to 2D sprites for the PlayStation era; I'd rather have a beautiful sprite than an ugly polygon any day.

Edit: "Madness... HeroOoOoOoOo....
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 15:42   Link #9
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

... That boss didn't happen to be that rolling bomb tossing hermit-like guy, wouldn't he?
Old 2009-02-19, 15:48   Link #10
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

I remember this game. The battle system was really good. Hopefully it releases on the PSN in the near future since its an Sony game.
Old 2009-02-19, 21:05   Link #11
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
... That boss didn't happen to be that rolling bomb tossing hermit-like guy, wouldn't he?
No, it was the water dragon + blue dragoon boss.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-19, 22:27   Link #12
krisslanza

For the PS era Legend of the Dragoon had some pretty top-notch graphics I believe.

Of course NOW it looks ugly and pixelated, but for its time...!
Old 2009-02-19, 22:45   Link #13
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Lloyd- "TOos low!" , "Over here!"

I loved the first time you figh Lloyd, he pwns you so hard.
Old 2009-02-19, 23:30   Link #14
rg4619

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
For the PS era Legend of the Dragoon had some pretty top-notch graphics I believe.

Of course NOW it looks ugly and pixelated, but for its time...!
The CG movies and pre-rendered backgrounds were impressive at the time. However, even then, the animation and combat visuals left much to be desired when compared to other 3D games.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 01:07   Link #15
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Definitely some good memories playing this game. Of course it's now in a condition that I can't get it to run well. Still at the very least can smile when thinking about the adventure. Some pretty good times and a few sad events in there as well.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:39   Link #16
YoSneaky

Yeah, there were a few bad points to it. The most annoying thing would have to be all the random battles. You would just finish battling and you take two steps and boom! there's another battle. So I'd have to run away from each one.

If a prequel or sequel was made(I'd prefer prequel) on the ps3 would be amazing. With the PS3's power the graphics would be amazing and with a few fixes to game play it would easily be a great game. Only problem would be is getting the name of LoD out there.

BTW, there is a petition somewhere on the internet of people wanting a remake of LoD. There is over 18000 signatures. I thought it was pretty neat. Just google Legend of the Dragoon two and it'll come up on the first page.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:39   Link #17
Kayin
s c a r l e t
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Kayin
I remember it being beautiful, but hampered by an irritating battle system. As I recall, your inventory was extremely limited too, which resulted in issues for healing during boss fights since there was no character strictly devoted to healing (at least not in the beginning from what I remember).

The world map was also a linear mess of connect the dots.
Old 2009-02-20, 01:46   Link #18
yongshun

I still have this game although the game irritated me because I had to change disks to go back to old locations and the fact that the fighting system while new was horrible at lest in my opinion.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 01:51   Link #19
krisslanza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
I remember it being beautiful, but hampered by an irritating battle system. As I recall, your inventory was extremely limited too, which resulted in issues for healing during boss fights since there was no character strictly devoted to healing (at least not in the beginning from what I remember).

The world map was also a linear mess of connect the dots.
If I recall the closest thing to a healer was Shana/Miranda. They had some healing abilities I think.

I never found an issue with LoD's battling. At least you had an idea when a random encounter would start because of the little arrow and the battles themselves weren't horribly repetitive since you wanted to keep your eyes open to pull off combos and avoid counters.
Old 2009-02-20, 02:47   Link #20
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well any issues with the battle system I might have had faded from memory a while ago . But don't think it was too bad and certainly didn't offset my interest in the story and characters.

Definitely a game that I'd be all for getting a remake. And not an unsatisfying remake like Wild Arms: Alter Code F. Could even get behind a prequel since there is a story to be told there.