AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2008-12-02, 17:40   Link #5301
james0246

Well, if anyone did not know, the Georgia Election is being held right now. Saxby Chambliss will undoubtedly win (considering in the last election he lead by 6 percent), but here is hoping that his win is very close. Maybe he will reign in some of his crazier ideas and stances so as to more adequately work with the new Congress.

In other news:

Gates discussing Obama today was very good. Rice discussing Clinton was enlightening (Rush Limbaugh also like Clinton for some weird slightly disgusting reason). Obama meeting the Governors was productive. Obama refusing to acknowledge Fox's existence is hilarious (MSNBC is the new Fox). And Krugmann is still screaming about the "End of Times". Oh yeah, and Bush is trying to pass a "Fuck You Bill" to all Women everywhere, I am starting to think this man simply hates women what with his constant desire to destroy their (reproductive) rights.

So, just another week in the American Political theatre.

Last edited by james0246; 2008-12-02 at 18:18.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 20:07   Link #5302
solomon

Reading the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Chambliss will kick ass cause aside from Core Atlanta area, Athens (which has UGA) and cities of Savanah and Albany. Martin (and to a great extent dems in general) have no traction.
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-02, 21:41   Link #5303
solomon

Where did you hear that Athens went for Chambliss?
Old 2008-12-02, 23:32   Link #5304
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
Where did you hear that Athens went for Chambliss?
LOL, I misread your post .
Old 2008-12-03, 17:53   Link #5305
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Some interesting analysis from a world viewpoint on the US (and how the old paradigm faction tries to belittle it, often with coded racism or basic stupidity).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michel..._b_147960.html
Old 2008-12-03, 18:19   Link #5306
solomon

I rarely read rather partisan publications like the Huff Post, but that's good reading Vexx.

I have read about latent anti-muslim sentiment in the country for years now. It's not surprising. It is not as if everyone is at foaming mouth KKK levels of predjiduce, no. But people are scared of these new non-american foreigners who seem REALLY angry and who we haven't really concerned ourselves about. American Muslims and muslim moderates around the world really need to continue to work up a PR system to show that only a tiny fraction of muslims are crazed beligerrents.

As for the sometimes lopsided aims of American foriegn policy, as long as nationalism rules that's not gonna change. Admittedly it is possible to be TOO pessimistic about your country. But as an Afro-American, I know that AMERICA doesn't equal ultimate freedom opportunity equality and blah de blah. As a proud citizen I also know that the country has a lot to offer and many people are diverse friendly and open. THE LACK OF NUANCE in the way we see the muslim world is what really needs to change. Hopefully, the new administration will be more mindful of that.
Old 2008-12-03, 18:53   Link #5307
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
I rarely read rather partisan publications like the Huff Post, but that's good reading Vexx.

I have read about latent anti-muslim sentiment in the country for years now. It's not surprising. It is not as if everyone is at foaming mouth KKK levels of predjiduce, no. But people are scared of these new non-american foreigners who seem REALLY angry and who we haven't really concerned ourselves about. American Muslims and muslim moderates around the world really need to continue to work up a PR system to show that only a tiny fraction of muslims are crazed beligerrents.

As for the sometimes lopsided aims of American foriegn policy, as long as nationalism rules that's not gonna change. Admittedly it is possible to be TOO pessimistic about your country. But as an Afro-American, I know that AMERICA doesn't equal ultimate freedom opportunity equality and blah de blah. As a proud citizen I also know that the country has a lot to offer and many people are diverse friendly and open. THE LACK OF NUANCE in the way we see the muslim world is what really needs to change. Hopefully, the new administration will be more mindful of that.
the moderately muslin need to speak out more, go on tv and start condeming these attacks. get more involve with the locals. do more bake sales.
Old 2008-12-03, 19:20   Link #5308
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the moderately muslin need to speak out more, go on tv and start condeming these attacks. get more involve with the locals. do more bake sales.
Oh, some do. We don't hear them much because 1) that's not newsworthy, according to, well us, and 2) they get threatened by the extremists, occasionally killed, especially if they live in the Middle East. The legendary Naguib Mahfouz was directly attacked once because he made the sensible -- and brave -- statements against the infamous fatwa against Salman Rushdie, despite police protection. Not everyone has police protection, of course, and some, like Nawal El Saadawi had to flee when their lives were threatened.

And these are writers, authors, famous people whose voices are heard and whose pens can, if they wish, record with eloquence their views on the issues facing their world. Countless others don't have that luxury -- their voices are not the voices we hear, so what do we know on what's really going on?

The Islamic world, like everywhere else, is a complex, complex place. Western paint brushes of uniform evil do nothing to help. I could try and figure out a few key influences to the rise of fundamentalism in Islam, but then I would always be simplifying things. Was it the failure of pan-Arabism? The oppression of secular autocratic governments claiming always to be trying to modernize and Westernize? The subtle negative influence of Western, especially American, careless interventions? A legacy of colonialism? A struggle for supremacy between progressive and reactionary elements in Islam? A culmination of the trend that stretches as far back as the resurgence of reactionary Islamism in the once famously progressive Ottoman Empire, or the long-term influence of the Safavid movement in Persia? Economic and political marginalization, perhaps even social, that results in the reactive rise of fundamentalism as a way to cope with an increasingly unfamiliar world? The list goes on and on.

P.S. And 3) I don't feel the need to apologize for the Western World's many faults as if they're my own. Do you?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 19:21   Link #5309
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

my imagination or did richardson got really fat
Old 2008-12-03, 20:28   Link #5310
Epyon9283
Geek

Send a message via ICQ to Epyon9283 Send a message via AIM to Epyon9283
He had a goatee for a while that helped hide the double chin.
Epyon9283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 20:41   Link #5311
james0246

So, since Richardson is going to step down, I guess we should prepare for Val Kilmer to run for Governor of New Mexico in 2010 .

edit: I almost wish that Val Kilmer would run for Governor of Arizona, then there could be a few Batman and Mr. Freeze jokes concerning Val Kilmer and Arnold Schwarzenegger (these jokes can still occur, but they would be funnier if Kilmer became a Governor of a State connected to California .

Last edited by james0246; 2008-12-04 at 00:55.
Old 2008-12-03, 20:44   Link #5312
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

argh.. he should have kept the beard.... wow, I haven't seen a pic of him in quite a while.

Its off to the gym with you, Mr. Richardson.
Old 2008-12-03, 21:26   Link #5313
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
The Islamic world, like everywhere else, is a complex, complex place. Western paint brushes of uniform evil do nothing to help.
Well, remember the time when Al-Jazeera wanted to have an English arm? The West got so tense and I was like, WTF?

Quote:
P.S. And 3) I don't feel the need to apologize for the Western World's many faults as if they're my own. Do you?
If you're from the US or UK, then, maybe. If you're from Canada, you've gotta laugh at the dumbness of the US. And for the rest of the world, no, you don't apologize for others, we're too kind already not to overthrow them.
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 21:54   Link #5314
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
If you're from the US or UK, then, maybe. If you're from Canada, you've gotta laugh at the dumbness of the US. And for the rest of the world, no, you don't apologize for others, we're too kind already not to overthrow them.
No, see, you misunderstand. My point was simple: a common person does not usually have much of an urge to go around apologizing for his government's crimes, or his countrymen's mistake, or his co-religionist's radicalism, not unless provoked by some major event which required a reaction, and definitely not everyday so that the unconcerned West would hear, "I'm sorry for the Taliban, I'm sorry for the Taliban, I'm sorry for the Taliban" after being told that long and hard enough.

It has nothing to do with who's really at fault or US or UK or whatever. One outpouring of public sympathy and/or regret and outrage after a big event, perhaps, but more? Yeah right.

What the West could do, is try and learn what the hell is really going on, and go from there. Islam's internal conflict is just as engaged as its external conflict with modernism, perhaps much more, after all.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-03, 22:04   Link #5315
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
No, see, you misunderstand. My point was simple: a common person does not usually have much of an urge to go around apologizing for his government's crimes, or his countrymen's mistake, or his co-religionist's radicalism, not unless provoked by some major event which required a reaction, and definitely not everyday so that the unconcerned West would hear, "I'm sorry for the Taliban, I'm sorry for the Taliban, I'm sorry for the Taliban" after being told that long and hard enough.

It has nothing to do with who's really at fault or US or UK or whatever. One outpouring of public sympathy and/or regret and outrage after a big event, perhaps, but more? Yeah right.
OK I get it now. I thought you were from the Mid-East.

Quote:
What the West could do, is try and learn what the hell is really going on, and go from there. Islam's internal conflict is just as engaged as its external conflict with modernism, perhaps much more, after all.
Hmm... if they were willing....
Old 2008-12-03, 23:35   Link #5316
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Perhaps you need to stop making assumptions about where someone is from just because of their dialog. For example, I'm starting to get the idea that you're from a homogeneous, monocultured landscape and don't really have any experience with multi-cultural multi-racial environments --- that might be a very bad assumption so I log it mentally as "not verified".
Old 2008-12-03, 23:51   Link #5317
kyon.haruhi.suzumiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Perhaps you need to stop making assumptions about where someone is from just because of their dialog. For example, I'm starting to get the idea that you're from a homogeneous, monocultured landscape and don't really have any experience with multi-cultural multi-racial environments --- that might be a very bad assumption so I log it mentally as "not verified".
Yes. I live in Japan. And I agree that it's a homogeneous, monocultured landscape.
Old 2008-12-04, 00:51   Link #5318
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyon.haruhi.suzumiya View Post
Yes. I live in Japan. And I agree that it's a homogeneous, monocultured landscape.
I'm sorry, I have nothing relevant to say (concerning this particular realm of discussion), but I find this quote hysterical.
Old 2008-12-04, 22:13   Link #5319
solomon

Some tasty reading from the Denver Post higlighting the various nuances and evolution of the democratic party

http://www.denverpost.com/thedemocrats
Old 2008-12-14, 23:16   Link #5320
Autumn Demon
~

Proposal to effectively replace the electoral college.

Truly getting rid of the electoral college would be too difficult because small states and current swing states would oppose the Constitutional change. The National Popular Vote aims to get around that problem by using the electoral college as a tool is to make sure whomever wins the popular vote becomes president. Under the National Popular Vote, states would agree to have their legislatures pick only electors who would vote for the winner of popular vote, regardless of how the state went. Not all states have to enter this contract for it to work, just enough so that together they have more than 270 votes amongst them.

Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois and Hawaii have already joined the National Popular Vote compact.
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debate, elections, politics, united_states