AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-04-05, 05:14   Link #1
ezza

ummm...Does anyone know what I can use to subtitle anime...

ummm...Just wanna fansub some anime for fun.... just wondering does anyone know any programs ...
ezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 05:26   Link #2
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
maeby this should be in Fansub Groups?

but ya... programs...

Translating - Notepad, SomeMediaPlayer
Editing - Notepad
Timing - SubStationAlpha or other timing prog
Typesetting - Notepad, VirtualDub, (Adobe AfterEffects)
Encoding - VirtualDub
QC - SomeMediaPlayer
Distro - BT, IRC or something
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 13:47   Link #3
scotty81
DSL addict

Send a message via AIM to scotty81 Send a message via MSN to scotty81
you could maybe try to join a group, if you fit in for one of the requested members ( see the related sticker )
scotty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 15:06   Link #4
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

If you're only interested in doing basic fansubs then all you will need is:

SubStation Alpha - Timing, basic typeset, translating and editing
Subtitler or TextSub plugins for VirtualDub - Adds the subtitles to the video
VirtualDub - Encoding
Latest XviD or DivX codec - uncompressed files are a pain to watch
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 00:21   Link #5
ezza

I got all of it, but im having trouble getting the subtitles to show on stuff thast on widescreen, i dont know whats going on because it works fine with others
Old 2004-04-06, 06:14   Link #6
scotty81
DSL addict

maybe is a problem off custom pan-scan, or in other words some strange resize in fullscreen mode. are those problems on a tv? or a player on a computer ??
Old 2004-04-06, 06:42   Link #7
ezza

sorry, should of made abit more sense... I'm using VirtualDub 1.5.10 with the subtitling plugin aswell as Subtitle Workshop. I created the subtitle and i add it to the thing i wanna sub but it doesnt appear for some reason. The video is widescreen...subtitles dont appear on other widescreens as well but its fine with those that arnt in widescreen..just kind of annoying... can anyone help..?
Old 2004-04-06, 12:31   Link #8
Gabo-san

Ok, so here's a problem of mine. I am encoding into XVID using 2pass. I'm using filters Temporal smoother and Textsub in that order. The quality turns out great, but when the screen pans left or right the subtitles become somewhat distorted. I noticed AonE had the same problem in the past but I think they may have fixed it. Any ideas on what I should do?
Gabo-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 13:57   Link #9
scotty81
DSL addict

to ezza : what player do you use, what size is your output video?
Old 2004-04-07, 00:26   Link #10
ezza

well...It just doesnt show up on VirtualDub, all subtitles doesnt show up on anything thats widescreen because i tried it with a few others but everything is fine.
Old 2004-04-07, 03:28   Link #11
scotty81
DSL addict

well that's strange problem. with VirtualDub when you preview do you have all the video ( all subs no edge cut ... ) ??
if you say it works fine when played normal size ( not fullscreen ) it's only a problem between your player and your screen config. did you try bsplayer?? it could maybe solve your problems.
Old 2004-04-08, 05:51   Link #12
ezza

yup ^-^ Thanks I some how got it working... But now I got nother problem.... Compressing the video on VirtualDub... Can someone help me with that please ... When I saved it as AVI or something.. The video just lags or skips when I tried playing it in different media players... Sorry I'm a n00b in this kind of stuff :P
Anyway.. Thanks in advance
Old 2004-04-08, 11:15   Link #13
scotty81
DSL addict

did you think to choose a compression before saving? if not then it's in RGB mode ( uncompressed avi ) and it's a huge file, and also seeking maybe very slow. some players don't manage those files well.
Old 2004-04-08, 22:05   Link #14
ezza

I compressed it before saving but im not sure if i did it right... because when i play it, it either lags or skips, not sure ....
Old 2004-04-12, 09:53   Link #15
Octiron
Channel idler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
Typesetting - Notepad, VirtualDub, (Adobe AfterEffects)
Don't even mention that, AE doesn't belong in fansubbing.

Textsub can do just about everything needed for typesets. There's no point in using overpowered commercial apps.
Octiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 09:58   Link #16
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octiron
Textsub can do just about everything needed for typesets. There's no point in using overpowered commercial apps.
Textsub's interpolator is kind of broken. Other than that it should be sufficient for most things. Both Textsub and After Effects are just tools. It's the way you use them that's appropriate or not for a fansub. It's just in After Effects, people are more easily carried away with "oooh let's see if I can do this" than in Textsub, because of the steeper learning curve involved in generating fancy fluff in Textsub.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-12, 14:42   Link #17
killmoms
Former Triad Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Textsub's interpolator is kind of broken. Other than that it should be sufficient for most things. Both Textsub and After Effects are just tools. It's the way you use them that's appropriate or not for a fansub. It's just in After Effects, people are more easily carried away with "oooh let's see if I can do this" than in Textsub, because of the steeper learning curve involved in generating fancy fluff in Textsub.
I use After Effects because it lets me integrate onscreens into the anime better; i.e. they don't look "out of place" or "slapped on top of" the original video. The integrated aesthetic appeals to me. Personally, I think I've seen the worst abuses of onscreening with these ridiculous, pointless, and comprehension-impeding TextSub karaoke effects. AE, combined with Photoshop, gives me the GUI, more intuitive workflow and layout, and the power I need to make my onscreens look good and—more importantly—unobtrusive.

--Cless
killmoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 12:45   Link #18
HooH

Since this thread is about subtitle, I will ask my question here. How do u put the subtitle in places thats not at the top or the bottom in SSA? I tried the highlight option in the Karaoke mode, but its wouldnt highlight the words continuously. It would do it one word at a time.
HooH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-14, 20:58   Link #19
CompShrink
getting in comps' heads

Send a message via AIM to CompShrink
As for kareoke, {\k} highlights per word, {\K} (capital K) highlights continuously, and placement is an option in ssa gui, under style overrides.
CompShrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-17, 23:00   Link #20
HooH

got another question about the subtitle: How can I add Japanese in ssa? The Chinese words r working fine, but the Japanese r all messed up. I installed the Hiragane and Kana fonts. I used NJ Chinese WP to copy and paste the lyrics.

nvm, I think I got it now. I just need to add the Japanese in notepad after Im done with all the timing and effects.

Last edited by HooH; 2004-04-17 at 23:23.
HooH is offline   Reply With Quote