AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Casting Type?
All Male 10 8.26%
All Female 20 16.53%
Mix of Both 91 75.21%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-04-15, 09:11   Link #21
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Put it this way, even the manly war epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms has a girl character.

But yes, the obvious answer is up to the show. Mind, I do admit I'm not particularly fond of the popular "all-girls" trope, especially if it has much to do with moe. I like cute girls, yes, but not when it's an overload and I begin to feel, ah, "exploited." Blatant fanservice isn't as tasty as teasing, as they say.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 13:33   Link #22
GreatTeacherKen

Truthfully, I don't particularly care about the gender make up of the whole cast so I wouldn't pick any of the options. I like moe girls, but I can watch/enjoy an all-male or bishounen-filled show.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 17:01   Link #23
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Obviously a mix of both *watches as the foul poll bends over backwards in this direction*….The thing about all girl animes is, as a guy, I need male characters I can see myself through in-terms of their interaction with the girl characters…I’m often pretty turned off by soopa majority girl casts unless I’m watching for pure yuri, or echniness…In a series that doesn’t provide that it can be quite stale to have an all girl cast *fly swats moe-boys away*
Old 2009-04-18, 16:40   Link #24
-Kh-
ポルカ

All female cast!

That's why we have the great Romi Paku! An non-tsundere Kugimiya Rie!!
-Kh- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 05:42   Link #25
blewin

I can't stand a show of all females.... all males are ok though. um, must be how the stories substance. If it's all females, it's usually pretty silly. And with all males, you can heaps of fight.

Just to clarify, I'm female though.

so yeah, way to go for the "mixed" - a bit of both, option.
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 00:41   Link #26
HorribleTruth
Good luck.

Mostly male, evenly mixed, or all female.
Shows with few male characters can be annoying because the guy is usually a bitch (See: Every harem anime, every Raki scene in Claymore).
HorribleTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-22, 13:23   Link #27
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Put it this way, even the manly war epic Romance of the Three Kingdoms has a girl character.

But yes, the obvious answer is up to the show. Mind, I do admit I'm not particularly fond of the popular "all-girls" trope, especially if it has much to do with moe. I like cute girls, yes, but not when it's an overload and I begin to feel, ah, "exploited." Blatant fanservice isn't as tasty as teasing, as they say.
The feel the exact same way as you... This "All female" trend is starting to grate on me... I see a new title, look it up and see an all female cast, I just face slam into my keyboard...
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-26, 23:31   Link #28
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Female > Male
Old 2009-04-27, 03:24   Link #29
Paul Doe

I don't care whether there's more males or females, as long as it has a good storyline and it's not just a cheesy harem/reverse harem.
Paul Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-27, 05:05   Link #30
animeboy12

Unless i'm looking for fanservice , I'd say a mixture of both is the best
animeboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 05:11   Link #31
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Mixed, just mixed. There are two types of people on this world after all, so I wanna see them in fiction presented, too.

I'm not into girls ... so cross out only girls.
These shows are targetting males and my enjoyment when half naked girls are bouncing on the screen isn't very high. They're just boring.

I'm not into yaoi either .. so cross out only guys.
These shows were females are nonexistent are mostly targetting females who wanna watch bishonen half naked bouncing on the screen. Sure, naked, well-built guys are always a plus, but bishonens are ... a special case? XD
Specially when they're lusting after other guys lol

Don't get me wrong I really have nothing against homosexuality, but it's just not my piece of cake when it unfolds in fiction. The problem with yuri / yaoi shows are also set so ALL the cast is homosexual. That's not realistic. Contrary of course not everyone is hetero, but that's why I don't mind if there are gay characters among the heteros .. just don't like series that totally circle around it.

So of course I like mixed casts. Not only because of the possible romance, but characters simply can be presented diffrently, contrary if they're only around people of their same gender.
It's just strange if a gender is totally missing.

I also don't watch series with one guy + a dozen of girls. They're as boring as the all girls series xD Harem just lacks plot and development.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 05:29   Link #32
Vicious108

I generally prefer a mostly male cast, since female characters in anime usually fall under certain categories, archetypes and cliches that I happen to find somewhat annoying (i.e. damsel in distress, etc.), but it's funny because my favorite series (Haibane Renmei) happens to have an all female cast. Guess that goes to show how well its characters are done.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-28, 10:15   Link #33
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
I like it mixed. If there are just males then it's an animé with just fighting, fighting, fighting and no story ... but if there are just females it comes to the same (Ikki Tousen, Tenjou Tenge...), huh?

I prefer a mix with 1/3 males and 2/3 females or 50:50.
Old 2009-04-28, 19:11   Link #34
Zlostur

An all-male cast!

Naw, I'm just kidding, I don't mind having female characters as long as they don't get on my nerves.
Zlostur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 18:44   Link #35
lolitaninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
i enjoy fewer girls then guys, most of the harem lead's personality pisses me off.
Agreed 100% I myself am sick of harems! Even though I'm a girl, I like it when there are more guys than there are girls. For some reason, with more guys, it adds a dynamic that you wouldn't get with a mostly female cast.
lolitaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 18:47   Link #36
lolitaninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
Mixed, just mixed. There are two types of people on this world after all, so I wanna see them in fiction presented, too.

I'm not into girls ... so cross out only girls.
These shows are targetting males and my enjoyment when half naked girls are bouncing on the screen isn't very high. They're just boring.

I'm not into yaoi either .. so cross out only guys.
These shows were females are nonexistent are mostly targetting females who wanna watch bishonen half naked bouncing on the screen. Sure, naked, well-built guys are always a plus, but bishonens are ... a special case? XD
Specially when they're lusting after other guys lol

Don't get me wrong I really have nothing against homosexuality, but it's just not my piece of cake when it unfolds in fiction. The problem with yuri / yaoi shows are also set so ALL the cast is homosexual. That's not realistic. Contrary of course not everyone is hetero, but that's why I don't mind if there are gay characters among the heteros .. just don't like series that totally circle around it.

So of course I like mixed casts. Not only because of the possible romance, but characters simply can be presented diffrently, contrary if they're only around people of their same gender.
It's just strange if a gender is totally missing.

I also don't watch series with one guy + a dozen of girls. They're as boring as the all girls series xD Harem just lacks plot and development.
Couldn't agree more!
lolitaninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 19:16   Link #37
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

It really isn't what the gender is, as both genders can have all the types of personalities in the world. As long as the personalities of the cast work well together and create interesting chemistry, then I'm up for anything. I do find some females to be bleak in shounen shows, while on the other side of the coin I just don't like most of the males in shoujo shows either.
Old 2009-06-26, 22:38   Link #38
Sasano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorribleTruth View Post
Mostly male, evenly mixed, or all female.
Shows with few male characters can be annoying because the guy is usually a bitch (See: Every harem anime, every Raki scene in Claymore).
For some reason I lol'd pretty hard.

I think the question is kinda..meh.I've always been one that likes a natural atmosphere, so mix is what I usually prefer the ratio doesn't really matter by itself.

P.S. All female cast tends to be either EXTREME cheese(ecchi) plots, or just boring as hell.
Sasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-26, 22:57   Link #39
killer911
Hikikomori

It depends on what genre of anime it is. If it's action, horror, or romance I prefer mixed. But for comedy and drama, I prefer girls.
killer911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-27, 01:01   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I will say I prefer at least SOME representation from both sexes -- a series like Sketchbook ~Full Colors~ gets a thumbs up from me for that.

However, it is still fairly common for the sexes to remain extremely isolated even when they share a class so I at least *understand* that writers are "writing what they remember".