AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Pumpkin Scissors

Notices

View Poll Results: Pumpkin Scissors Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 1 6.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 3 20.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 40.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 20.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 6.67%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-11, 01:35   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Pumpkin Scissors Episode 23 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Pumpkin Scissors, Episode 23!

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to reply to someone with a reference to the Manga, either PM them or use clearly marked Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:
Old 2007-03-11, 12:47   Link #2
beatrice1979
Randel Oland´s LT

Thumbs up Yay! sword fighting!

Well, well... time for some b**ch-slapping (literally).
It was already time to see a woman actually kick somebody´s a**!!
I enjoyed ep 23, perhaps not that much of an action episode. But I am content.
Hooray for Alice! She has definitely raised some morale there.

This episode is all about Alice character. She is proving to the eyes of her subordinates that despite her years she is a wonderful leader. (but then, Randel has already said that, twice).

Great moments: The left-hand sword fighting. Loved it! No wonder Oreld and Match are so concerned about Alice and her sword.

And Alice smelling Randel´s coat... gave me the chills! Girl, don´t do that! Now Oreld won´t give a moment of peace to Randel by teasing him all day long about that.

Mercury has his share of action, too :>

Looking forward to the next episode... and the next season, perhaps?

Spoiler for prediction for future -manga spoiler:

Last edited by beatrice1979; 2007-03-14 at 14:45. Reason: I can vote now...
Old 2007-03-14, 20:05   Link #3
cmage

Ahh, I love when characters switch to using their left hands and confuse everyone. I really like Alice's defensive technique. So pretty~

Though I was wondering about Alice's endurance. Comparing this episode to when she went against those Section I guys with her huge sword, I got confused.

Is next week really the end? By now I'm expecting a "life goes on" ending, which is frustrating. I wanted to see the resolution of the Silver Wheel and the Invisible Nine thing. :/ Does the anime have the popularity in Japan to warrant a second season? At any rate, I'm glad the manga got licensed so I can read it.

Yay, Mer-kun! I've missed him~
Old 2007-03-14, 21:52   Link #4
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Random Thoughts on PS Ep23:
---- ----
  • Pacing so much better this time, although the repetitive mutterings of the commoners are starting to really grate on my nerves. I am almost wanting Section I to blaze them all already.
  • Hunks is GAR. He may have a paunch and a balding head, but he is still GAR.
  • Bitch-slap for the win. Even if Alice admits it was childish.
  • Mer-kun is one top dog. Oland owns him one.
  • I see Pumpkin Scissors is going to leave a lot of plot-threads unresolved. Are they planning for a second season?
Cheers.
Old 2007-03-14, 23:03   Link #5
andrew86

Wow, 2 really good episodes in a row. Hope next week's rocks my socks off. I loved the glory to Alice and her sword style in this episode. The fact that Mercury got some useful screentime was also pretty cool.

Spoiler:

I've also been wondering who Silver Mask Guy is coming for -- whether he's there for Leonil Taylor or Oland.

AAH, I really wish the manga for this series would become translated. I hope Del Ray does it soon, though that's probably not gonna happen...
Old 2007-03-15, 02:11   Link #6
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
great fun ~ i thought alice was a goner for a moment...no wait...i didnt have a shread of a doubt that guard got owned ~ i never expected alice to show some proper skills and then show him the art of being bitch slapped

section 1 is unjust...dam money hungry evil bastards >.<

and now the commoners are divided but still a few who is trying to cut all the nobles down...sheesh they need to grow up...how can that guy attack alice after seeing what shes been throught already O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-03-15, 03:51   Link #7
Ottocycle

The sword trails kind of reminded me of the Soul Calibur franchise..still too damn cool, and I also liked how they used Alice's indications of fatigue to good effect (panting, quivering).

Oh by the way, reused footage! Just a small price to pay for sword trail coolness though.

I feel the fear of the backlash coming from the lack of resolution of set plot threads, but I guess its better than assuming creative license and botching up the whole thing. Looks like Gonzo wants to set their reputation straight, starting with this here series. Zipang instead of Hellsing, anyone?
Old 2007-03-15, 05:09   Link #8
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

The first half of this ep was boooring. Even the fight scene was boring until the second half, and even though it improved then and became more interesting, I wouldn't exactly call it a brilliant action sequence. The tension from all the competing forces and teetering situation was ok, but it felt like it was just lacking and I wouldn't say I was totally absorbed by it.

With just one ep remaining and so many unresolved plot points that cannot be wrapped up, I think this show is unfortunately going to be quickly forgotten after it's all over.
Old 2007-03-15, 07:59   Link #9
cmage

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew86 View Post
AAH, I really wish the manga for this series would become translated. I hope Del Ray does it soon, though that's probably not gonna happen...
Their newsletter said it was coming out in fall. Got a long summer ahead of me....
Old 2007-03-15, 10:49   Link #10
andrew86

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
Their newsletter said it was coming out in fall. Got a long summer ahead of me....
The fall? Damn, now this summer is gonna be really long.
Old 2007-03-16, 15:09   Link #11
Jewelray

Send a message via AIM to Jewelray
I'll admit, that was a pretty awesome fight. But overall I can't help but be disappointed because nothing is going to be resolved in the last episode. And I'm expecting some sort of a "Well, we want to do a second season but might not be able to so we'll so something really ambiguous to cover ourselves either way" sort of ending.
Old 2007-03-17, 05:36   Link #12
[ ]

Send a message via ICQ to [ ] Send a message via AIM to [ ]
Awesome Episode indeed. I feel so sad this series is coming to an end.. so many ways it could continue. Thus, high hopes for a season two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmage View Post
Ahh, I love when characters switch to using their left hands and confuse everyone. I really like Alice's defensive technique. So pretty~

Though I was wondering about Alice's endurance. Comparing this episode to when she went against those Section I guys with her huge sword, I got confused.

Is next week really the end? By now I'm expecting a "life goes on" ending, which is frustrating. I wanted to see the resolution of the Silver Wheel and the Invisible Nine thing. :/ Does the anime have the popularity in Japan to warrant a second season? At any rate, I'm glad the manga got licensed so I can read it.

Yay, Mer-kun! I've missed him~
The main difference on that day, aside from the stress situation, dress, etc is that she was blocking with a large and heavy weapon against generally smaller blades. While there is more consistent and constant stamina needed to keep wielding the heavy blade the impact is naturally more forceful and blocking is easier since the high mass helps work against the opponents force. Now she is faced with a completely different situation: Blocking a MUCH heavier weapon with a light near dagger size shortsword. While the blade generally takes much less energy to wield than her other weapon, blocking will be Extremely taxing as the little mass means she must put much more of her bodys force at work to actually stop the blow. Because of her lighter strikes its also easier for her opponent to keep his stamina who also doesn't have the disadvantage of wearing an(albeit now ripped) dress and an oversized heavy coat on top which further slow her movement, making her work just a bit more to keep her speed. But yah, mainly blocking with the shortsword, epecially the way she does it throughout the first half of the episode is the main reason for taking such a tear and wear on her right arm.

umm.. blah ^^
Old 2007-03-17, 07:20   Link #13
toxic_trance
~Anpan~
*Artist

My first comment in the pumpkin thread...and all I will say is that it is becoming really painful from the last 4 episodes. the series wasnt really exceptional to begin with..infact I was waiting to see how GONZO screws up.

The series is getting dragged real bad..and I hope they end it already..I dont know how GONZO makes such high quality animation, butI wish they learned a lesson or two from kyoto Animation about how to use the budget
Old 2007-03-17, 19:14   Link #14
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

And Then, the Sweet Trap

I heard that the final episode has or is about to air in Japan. Technically the 2006 anime season is coming to a close, and looks like Pumpkin Scissors ended in time before the swarming up of final episodes is due next week to the one that follows afterwards.

I really do not want to elaborate much about the consistency and laws of physics or reality that were abrogated to pull out the stunts for the duel, henceforth, I am attached to total suspension of disbelief.

The episode evokes the need of the whole people to witness actions being put to practical use in order to stir up a change within.

I am thankful that they quickly cut off the glasses man Naruto-esque illusion act once Alice recalled back onto the battlefield her memories of her Pumpkin Scissors comrades that go in tow with the symbolic representation of her morals and principles.

She's not taking sides. She's to administer fairness and right wrongs.

I have to comment that the quality for the animation was almost flawless and raise to a high standard in contrast to the previous episodes at the start of this last arc.

At first, the trails of light seemed to me like a cheesy effect, but they quickly grasped my attention to observe the broader picture of Alice's sword (or dagger) dancing technique.

The irony that results from Alice's turning her footwork and fencing into a cool dancing-dueling is that a change of heart starts to spark from Marquis Paul when he seriously reflected upon Alice's words of betting the pride of nobles.

It is about other peoples' opinions that they hold about us when they see us, and the Marqui started to have second thoughts about his wrongdoings and plaing a taxing burden upon the lives of those commoners.

Even the conclusion of the duel in my opinion was a fair ending. I do hold now respect for the glasses man for handling defeat with humility and honor, acknowledging defeat on good terms, and granting victory to Alice. I never expected Alice to deliver him quite a good smack on the cheek as retribution for tearing that beaufitul dress of hers, but hey, he should not complain. From Oland's own experiences with the 2nd lieutenant, the glasses man received a gentle slap than those Alice administers from time to time onto the poor Oland.

Leonil's stupefied face at Alice's duel-dancing will never escape my mind, BTW
Old 2007-03-18, 06:08   Link #15
Eclipze

The first thing that came to mind when Alice switched to her left hand was: Ryoma! But I must say, before that scene, the fight was indeed boring - they should have just skipped to the hand-switching scene IMO, since we have already seen how Alice fights with that short-sword of hers. And sadly, it does seem like the ending would leave plenty of things un-answered, particularly what the Silver Wheel plans to achieve by infiltrating Section I (Besides gaining more power), as well as the Invisible 9.
Closed Thread