AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 08
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 56 38.62%
9 out of 10: Excellent... 52 35.86%
8 out of 10: Very Good... 24 16.55%
7 out of 10: Good... 9 6.21%
6 out of 10: Average... 1 0.69%
5 out of 10: Below Average... 1 0.69%
4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.38%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-08-25, 20:58   Link #121
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Plus the episodes were actually fun to some of us. And I don't know about what other people are seeing, but to me this episode is no different from the previous ones.

It's still about "People being trapped in a game and showing how they deal with it."
I personally agree with you here. There was a transition in terms of the focus of the plot (that was setup at the end of last episode), but thematically the show is building on the issues we've seen all along (including in all the sidestories) about the game's impact on people. In fact, almost all of the dialogue in this episode (and there was a lot of it) centered on that point, with lots of callbacks to things we've already seen and heard. (So I too really believe that, whether people can see it or not, the last 5 episodes helped prepare us for what is happening now in ways that are perhaps hard to immediately see.)

I suppose the only other difference is that, by moving the focus back to the frontlines, it gave Kirito a bit more of a serious fight. I suppose it makes the action scenes a little bit more tense and menacing, so if that's what people liked about Episode 2, then I suppose that same feeling returns now. In the last few episodes, Kirito was seriously over-leveled, so the fights were more about the character impact than any serious threat. Of course, I don't think the fights were the point of those episodes... but that's the main difference I could point to, I guess.
Old 2012-08-25, 21:04   Link #122
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
He still wrote it. Whether it was a cliche at the time or not (and I'm pretty sure it was already a cliche), he still thought it was a good idea to include it in his story.
It's a fair point though, a decade is a lot of time for a trope to be ground into the dirt.

In other news, I'm curious what the anime only crowd things of the story to date / and skipping from Ep1 to Ep8. I know it's been thrown around a bit in this thread, but I think it'd be massively jarring to skip all the build up and background details we've seen to-date, and just shoehorn them in.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 21:29   Link #123
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
In other news, I'm curious what the anime only crowd things of the story to date / and skipping from Ep1 to Ep8. I know it's been thrown around a bit in this thread, but I think it'd be massively jarring to skip all the build up and background details we've seen to-date, and just shoehorn them in.
I touched on this in my post above, but to summarize, I think the presentation we had makes a lot of sense, and to me the story is flowing well and building on what we've seen. I think people would have been just as angry if not more so if the anime just went from episodes 1 & 2, and then "it's been two years and we're now on floor 74..." So much of the dialogue in this episode would have fallen flat without context. It wouldn't make any sense to start at that point explaining basic game systems that would be completely obvious to the players.

So all that to say, jumping from 1/2 to 8 wouldn't be an option, IMO. However, if they wanted to do the whole thing differently, I suppose they could have started the whole anime with something like this episode (or maybe even the presumed fight from next episode), starting from the premise "we've been trapped in this game for two years", and then gone back to fill in the gaps via flashbacks (including to explain all the systems and so on). If they did that, I think it could work... but I think it would totally change the flow of the story, and might make it more confusing. I'm not sure that it'd be a better way... just a different way. (And people would still complain about the "fillers" anyway.)

Honestly, I think the solution isn't really in resequencing the anime. The solution would have to be to take a lot more liberties with the story in general (like adding anime-original parts to help connect parts that weren't shown in the original source)... and that brings with it its own challenges (hard to imagine the sort of novel-reader flack we'd have in these threads... ).
Old 2012-08-25, 21:31   Link #124
MrPopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
I for one would not have enjoyed this episode nearly as much had they skipped from episode 1 to 8. The part when Kirito and Asuna discuss how a lot of players are now regarding SAO as something akin to real life wouldn't have been nearly as impactful had we not seen snippets of players adjusting to life in the virtual world. I'd also like to add that the whole cooking thing was so appropriate in relation to their discussion since cooking is a purely leisure skill that's useless when it comes to clearing the game. I thought that was pretty neat.

Other things to consider are that Asuna's presence and some world elements (such as duels) would have been more jarring without the previous episodes.

So yeah, as an anime-only viewer I'm really satisfied. I'd say the only negative was that the side stories made the show lose momentum for me these past weeks, but that's in the past now.
Old 2012-08-25, 21:33   Link #125
Lumir

One word. BAPHOMET!
Spoiler for Ragnarok Online:

SoA's version has a cleaver instead of a Scythe. Good ep overall, Kirito playing right into Asuna's hands =).
Old 2012-08-25, 21:40   Link #126
Kamui04

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
Great episode.

Looks Kirito finally started to struggle against normal monster. I guess he is rethinking about the solo act. Luckily for him, he has an equal: Asuna. Even if he was threatened.

I wonder why did Asuna maxed out her cooking stat? Wouldn't it be better to have smithing or upgrading equipment instead? I am more on selling materials and upgrading equipment whenever I play MMO's. This is more efficient for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the anime never explain it too well but the food in the game is suppose to be very bland. The only to get better food is to cook it yourself or have someone else cook it.

Regarding smithing and equipment upgrade she has lisbeth,
Also although they won't die in the game from not eating, they still feel hunger. Now put yourself in their shoes, if SAO was your only reality, you feel hunger and the only pleasure you feel is eating, how would you feel if you ate the same bland stuff for 2 years. How about eating bland oatmeal or bread and water three times a day for 700 days? Anyone would go crazy.

As for my experience in MMO sometimes rising a rare skill sometimes is not completely useless. Crafting can make you money by making and selling items/equipment not usually dropped. This leads to a matter of economy, sometimes stuff you make yourself will end up costing less and have a better quality than stuff you buy from NPCs or dropped from mobs. Also from your comment you're basically farming and selling the drops which takes time every time you do it. Rising a craft might take time but it's only done once and crafting something takes considerably less time and usually if you're high enough level whatever you produce can usually net you more money in lesser time. As for cooking in SAO yeah it doesn't have a stat rising use to it. But whose to say that there aren't people willing to pay big bucks for a nicely cooked meal, one that surpasses NPC stuff in taste? As mentioned by Kirito in ep. 6 she could sell her food for a good bit of money.

Damn even in MMOs there are people that spend money on stuff like decorating their homes or even bling bling that doesn't give any stat benefit just to look good while in a safe zone/town.

Last edited by Kamui04; 2012-08-25 at 21:51.
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 21:50   Link #127
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
Good ep overall, Kirito playing right into Asuna's hands =).
She's really clever. One morning Kirito will wake up to find himself married without even knowing how the hell it happened.
Old 2012-08-25, 22:13   Link #128
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
He still wrote it. Whether it was a cliche at the time or not (and I'm pretty sure it was already a cliche), he still thought it was a good idea to include it in his story.
We're talking 10 years ago. Back when this stuff was still somewhat humorous to people. Surely you're old enough to remember that far back, and what anime we had then?

I like near the end of the episode, where Kirito commented about having someone to fight alongside in these dungeons, and how much easier/safer it was. He's been soloing for so long, he's forgotten how good teamwork is.
Old 2012-08-25, 22:13   Link #129
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
One word. BAPHOMET!

SoA's version has a cleaver instead of a Scythe. Good ep overall, Kirito playing right into Asuna's hands =).
Well, author is fan of Ragnarok online afterall
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:16   Link #130
whx_epic

Just want to give one random comment:
How can Asuna and Kirito wander into Witch Barrier???
^o^.
whx_epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:33   Link #131
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
We're talking 10 years ago. Back when this stuff was still somewhat humorous to people. Surely you're old enough to remember that far back, and what anime we had then?
I'm pretty sure Love Hina had already single-handedly run it into the ground.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:39   Link #132
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

the boob grab predate love hina and the 2000s.

you can trace it all the way back to the 80s with Lum. It was a lot more prevalent in the 90s.
Old 2012-08-25, 22:41   Link #133
GDB

So if a boss can't leave its room, what was all that crap a few episodes back with Asuna wanting to pull one into the town?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:43   Link #134
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Love Hina had already single-handedly run it into the ground.
Did everyone read Love Hina back then? I doubt it, stuff I remember back in 2002 was Gensomaiden Sayuki or Get Backers. Basically Shonen stuff with the lack of echii.

Ah cooking, I agree that there's a lot of money to be made in that. I believe it was mentioned earlier during the Mystery Arc how Asuna could make money off that.

Anyways love the Blue Baphomet, although the health bars just seriously gives that "Oh crap" feeling in the end.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:44   Link #135
Deltaray

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So if a boss can't leave its room, what was all that crap a few episodes back with Asuna wanting to pull one into the town?
Special field boss for that floor ^^
Deltaray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:46   Link #136
Kmos

Good episode, we're introduced to the creeper player type in Asuna's bodyguard. Kirito locked onto a rare rabbit and secured meat for woman to make him his dinner. Asuna has graduated from making sammich to cooking his dinner, fine progression, but be careful as she's already demanding half the meat. Sometimes it's good to take woman out for walks so he parties with her for some exping and excites her with boss viewing. Good enough action in this epi for me, looking forward to next episode.

Kirito didn't seem to have trouble with the lizardman, look at his health, but soloing can be slow and challenging. I'm surprised he sleeps with how he's usually shown to be higher leveled than everyone. It's usually faster to exp with another person, less down time more clearing, so hopefully more duoing with a competent Asuna.

Duel interference... only the people who accepted a duel should be in the fight. They're in a town aren't they? This isn't an open pvp area so if a bystander just walks into a duel they can deflect attacks cause of safe area rules? Asuna actually disarms the dagger with her rapier or whatever blade. Seems like another thing to be exploited or an anime fail? I'm anime only so dunno.
Also, putting your weapon away when the duel isn't over doesn't mean it's over. Creeper guy can still attack, he's not out of line... duel ends when condition is met (1 strike) or forfeit, usually. Putting the sword away can seem overconfident and stupid, if he gets beaten that way it's his fault. Kirito even dares him to draw another weapon to continue on.
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:47   Link #137
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I was under the impression that the boss in question wasn't the floor boss. Because obviously if it were the floor boss you couldn't pull him to a town.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:49   Link #138
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
Did everyone read Love Hina back then?
Pretty much yes. It was really popular back in the day.
Old 2012-08-25, 22:49   Link #139
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the boob grab predate love hina and the 2000s.

you can trace it all the way back to the 80s with Lum. It was a lot more prevalent in the 90s.
Careful Xellos. Most people on this forum weren't alive that far back.
Quote:
Duel interference... only the people who accepted a duel should be in the fight. They're in a town aren't they? This isn't an open pvp area so if a bystander just walks into a duel they can deflect attacks cause of safe area rules? Asuna actually disarms the dagger with her rapier or whatever blade. Seems like another thing to be exploited or an anime fail? I'm anime only so dunno.
Also, putting your weapon away when the duel isn't over doesn't mean it's over. Creeper guy can still attack, he's not out of line... duel ends when condition is met (1 strike) or forfeit, usually. Putting the sword away can seem overconfident and stupid, if he gets beaten that way it's his fault. Kirito even dares him to draw another weapon to continue on.
That part bothered me the most about this episode. There's no reason she should have been able to interfere to that degree in the duel. I had to dock a couple points from this episode for that.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-25, 22:51   Link #140
GDB

Why shouldn't she be able to? She was able to push Kirito into a pillar, but she can't deflect a dagger? All a duel lets you do is cause damage to another player in a sanctuary. She didn't cause damage, she merely disarmed him.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
end card, weekly spoiler discussion