Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-22, 19:55   Link #1181
Skane
Anime Snark

Thumbs up

To rei,

While I do not wholly agree with your points, cookies for you for the effort you have invested into writing those posts of yours. Elaborate discussion is a rare thing and I like encouraging it.

Cheers.
Old 2007-07-23, 10:44   Link #1182
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

Thanks for your critics, guys. I know my post isn't constructive & unfair to those who I've quoted. But somehow their posts interest me & I thought, 'hmm...I wonder if this person or other people have thought of this or that'. Besides, not all of those posts that I've quoted were posted while the anime is still going on. Some of them were also posted after the anime ended.

I've no intention of making them sound dumb for their post. It's just that I don't know how to post my thought w/o referring to some posts. I don't like writing essays but I like Q&A . Though those quotes are not in the form of questions but quoting them make me feel like it's a Q&A things. Well, I'll try my best to get rid of my bad habit of quoting old posts.

Therefore, I humbly apologize to those who feel offended by my posts. And I also appreciate those who criticize my way of posting. It'll be helpful in making me a better forumer. And thanks for those cookies, guys. I reallly don't think I deserve much for my posts. I just want to get my opinions across.

Eventhough C2 is one of my favorite but I only give it a B. I would've give it a B+ if it ended with Kiri (heh, except for AIR which I rated A-, there's no other anime that I rated A). IMO, Kiri ending would be more satisfying. But I don't think that Elis ending is that bad either. I admit that I'm more towards Elis since the middle of the series (after Elis got more mature) & I will be sad if Elis didn't get pick up by Hiroki.

The ending, of course, really make me happy. But I don't know why I feel this pain for Kiri. I admit that Kiri didn't grew on me as much as Elis does. I mean, I really not sympathize with her that much. Yet, an ending like this is kinda *speechless* (sorry, don't know the exact word for my feeling). Somehow I thought, why can't it ended with ALL people feel happy. Then again, perhaps that's kinda lame & lack of reality because in real life, not all people will get a happy life unless it's a fairy tale. Having spoiled myself with the Kanon re-make ending, I'm looking forward to it. I wonder who would be my favourite character.

As mention by some people, Hiroki is COOL I know I'm exaggerating here but I'm also impressed with him for not thinking much of perverted things. I really LOVE the mature onii-chan-type of male lead. There's not much male leads that I'm interested in. My top favourite male-lead will always be Kamishiro Maiku from Onegai Twins. Most male leads are bums, boring & they make me turn away from the series. But Hiroki is a little different from others IMO. Surely he's quite dense when it came to love relationship but I really love the caring that he shows to others especially Elis. Eventhough he likes to complain most of the times but he did do his job (somehow I do wish him to be more stoic). What make me happier is that at the end of the show, he did pick one of the girls. Whether it's Elis or Kiri, I'm fine with either ending.

There are other shows that really disappoints me & make me say, 'what the heck am I watching this series for??'. I really don't like an open ending like Futakoi. That kind of ending really disappointed me. And also Green Green, I was like 'meh' with how it ended. I know I'm being bias here but I prefer a show with 'real' ending. Shuffle!'s ending isn't that very bad IMO. Somehow, I don't know why people like Vexx complaining about the 'reset' thing. Eventhough Rin picks 'you know who' but with those girls still hanging around Rin, there's still chances for them to 'steal' Rin. (the only thing that I complain about is the 'let me love Rin from afar thing. I don't care much about the 'don't want to use magic' stuff)

Another thing that amaze me is how the series make me interested to watch it. I've seen quite a number of anime of this type but hardly any of them hook me. Perhaps it's the interactions that attract me. It's quite refreshing (at least for me). But I have to moan about the interactions between Elis-Hiroki-Kiri though, as they are too weak compare to their interactions with secondary & minor characters. Kiri didn't get much development IMO, which is a pity. And as I mention earlier, there's not enough Hiroki-Elis interaction.

I like the balance of comedy & drama in C2. To me, KgNE is full of angst that it make me frustrated to watch it. I don't consider a show full of angst & frustration as a great show. Such heavy drama is not my type. I also don't like if it's too simple. When Vexx mention about Lamune, I gave it a try. Unfortunately, it's not my kind of anime either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Okay, small Canvas 2 question so that this post isn't off-topic! ^_^

Okay, in episode with the school cultural festival (I cannot remember the # and I'm kinda too lazy to find the disc after I filed it away), they show two girls at the fair. One is a blonde-ish girl with a ribbon in her hair playing the goldfish game. The other is a short, brown-ish haired girl complaining that she wants something. This may seem like I'm reaching, but.... Who are these girls? Were they featured somewhere in the series that I don't remember or were they from Canvas 1? I ask that because they kinda focued in on the girls. Like they weren't just cookie cut-out extras; they seemed to have a specific feel to that. I was confused, and thought they may have made a cameo from previous appearances. Can anyone help me out here or am I just grabbing at nothing?

Hoo-ah!
I don't know if this guy already got the answer but I'm replying to it anyway.

One is a blonde-ish girl with a ribbon in her hair playing the goldfish game

Spoiler:

The other is a short, brown-ish haired girl complaining that she wants something.

Spoiler:

The blondish girl is Sakurazuka Ren & the short brownish girl is Nanashiro Yuzu. Yep. They're from Canvas 1 all right.

Spoiler for chibi-time! I love chibis:

Spoiler for Tomoko Ojou-sama. w00t~:

Spoiler for you know you want this ending to happen :p:
rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 00:48   Link #1183
DanielSong39

Let me know if I'm on crack but I think Kiri may have had some repressed feelings towards Yanagi as well. Why else would she defend Yanagi after he admitted to stealing Hiroki's painting? And why would she continue to hang around Yanagi and keep giving him chances to steal her heart? One has to wonder...

Even Shie was starting to wonder whether Kiri would be better served accepting Yanagi instead, and Shie is one of those people who doesn't miss much...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 09:00   Link #1184
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

I'm not sure if Kiri does have an 'unconcious' / repressed feeling towards Yanagi but I think that she just don't want the friendship between them to fall apart. She likes Yanagi in some way but she's more fond towards Hiroki... I guess But somehow, I don't know why she called Yanagi, Shin-chan. AFAIK, you only give the title '-chan' to someone you're very fond with. I wonder how long have Kiri & Yanagi known each other. They seems quite close to me.

Speaking of Shin-chan...err... Yanagi, perhaps I'm one of those few people who don't have any grudge against him. I can see many people hate him so much. I know many people will be against my opinion but I think that maybe Yanagi is better for Kiri afterall. Compare to Hiroki who hardly think about her, Yanagi display much care for Kiri.

IMO, Yanagi isn't really that bad. Of course, what he did is really a disgrace but I feel that he still had some compassion for Hiroki & he did regret and blame himself for messing up Hiroki's life. He knew that Kiri was rejected by Hiroki, yet he didn't make an advance towards Kiri, not until he settle his issue with Hiroki.

Spoiler for mizugi :x:

Last edited by rei; 2007-07-24 at 10:18.
rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-24, 12:11   Link #1185
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Response on the bonding issue to Rei:

Hmmm, have you ever been involved in or watched a long distance relationship? They are incredibly difficult to maintain. Yes, Elis would always be "his cousin", but the odds are very high that her new circle of friends would include compatible people, one of which she might become romantically inclined towards.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder" ... but only to a point before the practical side of romance overrides it.

Even in non-romantic situations. When I lived near my relatives, we'd see or talk to them once a week or better. I now live several thousand miles away. Over the years our communications have dropped to once a year or less.
I used to spend months in isolated locations on projects with other people. The daily life especially under pressure naturally tend to push aside long distance matters. You need to talk to someone to decompress.... onichan isn't there but senpai is.

I think a tipping point for Hiroki was that he wouldn't have Elise around anymore for that vital smalltalk that lubricates a bond. She had spent most of the series wanting him to see her as more.... but when she decided to go to Paris there was a great deal of extra symbolism in that. "bird leaving the nest" "fresh start" and so on. It looks as if that was the nudge it took for Hiroki to awaken from his zombie walk.
Old 2007-07-30, 05:54   Link #1186
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

New thoughts in regards to Kiri and Yanagi... I wonder how much of an issue Yanagi's youthful actions would act as a negative impact on any chance he has on getting it together with Kiri.

I mean this from Kiri's pov and what I can guess is her idea of the relationship she wants to form.

I think I can safely say that she is a hopeless romantic, she never gave up on Hiroki, even when she found out that he gave up on something that he was special at (in her eyes).

She doesn't seem to be at all phased by the deadly power fame and money... So it must be something else she looks for in a person.

Now that person is Hiroki... If I consider Yanagi's booboo, I think I can safely say that it was something Hiroki would never do, as he is just too darn self sacrificing.

Now Yanagi's action I would consider to be a very Bad Thing(TM) in terms of professionalism and in terms of friendship. It shows a high level of betrayal, and selfishness in 2 main areas of a persons life.

Now even through Kiri knows that Hiroki does not blame Yanagi, it does not make the fact that he did it go away. Would she feel safe to move their relationship from friends (who never kept in contact), to something far more intimate and that should be based on trust?
Old 2007-07-31, 16:54   Link #1187
DanielSong39

I think all sides would be willing to bury the hatchet on one condition: if Hiroki was given credit for the painting.

It would prove once and for all that Yanagi was truly remorseful for the incident, and open the door for a full reconciliation.

Probably won't happen, but one can only hope.
Old 2007-07-31, 17:06   Link #1188
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
I think all sides would be willing to bury the hatchet on one condition: if Hiroki was given credit for the painting.

It would prove once and for all that Yanagi was truly remorseful for the incident, and open the door for a full reconciliation.

Probably won't happen, but one can only hope.
it won't happen because Yanagi became a famous painter because of that one painting.. Or you could say it started him off. If the world were to know about it then it would ruin his whole career.. I'm sure Hiroki wouldn't want that.
Old 2007-07-31, 17:48   Link #1189
DanielSong39

No problem; Yanagi can always pursue a career as an art teacher and always be by Kiri's side; surely she wouldn't reject a person who sacrificed so much for her...

OK, I'm officially going off the deep end, but the possibility is so deliciously irresistable...
Old 2007-08-04, 15:22   Link #1190
lillaziboi

@.@ wow... so many posts... and this thread still active even tho the anime ended over a year ago o.o
i can't even read them all, only read like last page or so >.> <---------slow reader haha

anyways, i dun think there's any way kiri will end up with yanagi, no matter what i still think kiri will still have feelings towards hiroki, so she'll prolly b single for the rest of her life lol

just curious but will there be any ova or continuation of sum sort to canvas2?

and btw on http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=5976, the first 3 names they put r
Kaori Nazuka as Elise Housen

Masumi Asano as Ren Sakurazuka

Takahiro Sakurai as Hiroki Kamikura

...aren't those suppose to b the main characters? -.- ren barely showed up the entire show lmao, is this a mistake by ann or is there sum other meaning?
lillaziboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 17:31   Link #1191
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillaziboi View Post
just curious but will there be any ova or continuation of sum sort to canvas2?
Probably not, but you never know... If they were going to announce something, though, it probably would have been at the end of last year when the last DVD came out in Japan. But, like I said, you never know for sure...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillaziboi View Post
and btw on http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=5976, the first 3 names they put r
Kaori Nazuka as Elise Housen

Masumi Asano as Ren Sakurazuka

Takahiro Sakurai as Hiroki Kamikura

...aren't those suppose to b the main characters? -.- ren barely showed up the entire show lmao, is this a mistake by ann or is there sum other meaning?
Yeah, it doesn't really mean anything. They probably meant to put Kiri up there, but messed it up.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-04, 18:21   Link #1192
DanielSong39

Can't totally discount the possibility of Canvas 3... who knows?

You're probably looking at a new cast of characters in that case, however.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-08-16 at 14:14.
Old 2007-08-04, 18:34   Link #1193
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
Can't totally discount the possibility of Canvas 3... who knows?

You're probably looking at a new cast of character in that case, however.
Oh -- yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I guess I was thinking of a direct follow-up with the Canvas 2 cast, which I think is pretty unlikely at this point. But, yeah -- Canvas 3 with a new cast could very well happen. F&C did release a side-story game called Nadeshiko ~Aka no Rasen~ (some links within may be NSFW) set in the Canvas universe earlier this year. But if something's going to be animated, I imagine they'll wait for the numbered sequel, whenever they get around to it...
Old 2007-08-07, 03:44   Link #1194
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Oh -- yeah, that's definitely a possibility. I guess I was thinking of a direct follow-up with the Canvas 2 cast, which I think is pretty unlikely at this point. But, yeah -- Canvas 3 with a new cast could very well happen. F&C did release a side-story game called Nadeshiko ~Aka no Rasen~ (some links within may be NSFW) set in the Canvas universe earlier this year. But if something's going to be animated, I imagine they'll wait for the numbered sequel, whenever they get around to it...
True, but since it's setted into the Canvas world the cast and crew will probably change, meaning characters too. It's just that once you watch an anime you associate them with it. And for me who just happen to finally, "finally" finish the Canvas 2 series after many many months of procrastinating.

After reading back post of 4-5 pages, I can finally understand the motif and understanding from this anime ^_^, though I did have a hard time figuring out all of the symbolism the first time around w/o reading all of the posts (not sure how ya did it ^_^).

ps: Ughh it's late now, stayed up all night trying to finish this anime. I'll finish this afternoon.(updated now)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther
Grrrr.... Symbolism..... I'm a meat n' potatoes guy. I try not to read too deeply into stuff and many times (this was a fabulous way to start arguments in college Literature classes) I try to say "It is what it is; it doesn't necessarily mean something 'symbolic.'"' Oh, the memories of English 30: Apocalyptic Rhetoric. lol
Hahaha, so agreeable. I have to come here for most of my deep dwelling thoughts too. But of course I'm looking for links b/t the characters and I can at least see some of the connections (I have skyfall for that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Ah, my 1 year anniversary from my first post at Animesuki from this thread. It's great that this thread is still going on.

JagdPanther, I hope that through your discussion with Skyfall, Canvas has been that much more enjoyable for you. If you have the time to read through the 1100+ posts to this wonderful anime, you'll probably notice some other points and perspective.

I started posting to this forum just because I felt the urge to enter in this discussion above all others threads before it.

Here is the link to my first post, which hopefully would add a little addition insight for you in this already wonderful thread:

first post 1 year before today

As for cousin marriages... Well, that's the way it is around the world, and much more tolerant in the asian culture, where nobles and imperial families have had a long history of cousin marriages. Only in "conservative" America do we have such a phoebia to such thoughts.
I'm not gonna read thru that many and just skipped every 5 pages and pretty much all you want if you're looking for answers after the anime is the last 5-6 pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfall
Both Hagino and Tomoko deserve their spin-off series imo >.< they have good potential as characters

And i want an OVA covering this event
The French marriage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei View Post
*posting w/o reading the recent posts*

Spoiler for some of my bs posts :p. Read it only if you have insomnia. :p:
Very nice there Rei. I don't have insomniac but I found your opinion to be one of the better so far, but you do span the most in deep invoking feelings along with necessary ultra specific details to explain your totally negative remarks on others users, which I admire, but sometimes it sometime feel that you give a superior vibe to others. I'm not sure if you have distinct innate skill for catching onto deeper details than others or your sources are better, but this discussion/debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
To rei,

While I do not wholly agree with your points, cookies for you for the effort you have invested into writing those posts of yours. Elaborate discussion is a rare thing and I like encouraging it.

Cheers.
That's why I love political debates ^_^. Debating amongst other minds is the ultimate challenge, where it tests your mental capabilities along with your reasonings and way of interpretation of the the same identical materials. While rei has some "gloomy" remarks, it's all opinion based, and it has to be taken in too.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.

Last edited by Aoie_Emesai; 2007-08-07 at 23:47.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 13:35   Link #1195
dutchdevil

Hi!
sorry for asking the following, but i couldn't read all 60 pages..
did Fujinami Tomoko Die in the airplane?
And the ending when Hiroki and elis kissed was elis back from Paris or did she not go?
thats all i wanted to know... it wasn't very clear to me so..

Thanks in advance!!
dutchdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-02, 13:40   Link #1196
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchdevil View Post
Hi!
sorry for asking the following, but i couldn't read all 60 pages..

thats all i wanted to know... it wasn't very clear to me so..

Thanks in advance!!
No, she didn't. She woke up later in the hospital.
Old 2007-09-02, 14:31   Link #1197
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchdevil View Post
And the ending when Hiroki and elis kissed was elis back from Paris or did she not go?
I guess it's probably too late for needing spoilers, but what the heck...
Spoiler:
Old 2007-09-02, 15:02   Link #1198
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ Yup, they showed a cityscape before cutting to the room - Arc de Triomphe
So ... yes - the scene takes place in Paris - Hiroki went with her.
Old 2007-09-02, 17:17   Link #1199
DanielSong39

Fujinami went through successful heart surgery and may live a few more years. And Hiroki followed Elis to Paris to begin his career as an artist, while Yanagi covered his back and became the acting art club advisor.
Old 2007-09-03, 05:10   Link #1200
dutchdevil

Allright, thanks for the awnsers!!
now i am able to understand the ending
dutchdevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs