AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-28, 12:36   Link #41
KristopherZ
Car Freak

Send a message via AIM to KristopherZ Send a message via MSN to KristopherZ
Maison Ikkoku

I would wholeheartedly recommend the wonderful maison ikkoku as a manga that is being overlooked. It is a great series that is very romantic and has lots of charm. According to many people it has some of the best character interaction ever in a manga and most importantly it is still a timeless romantic comedy, even 20 years after it came out it still is exciting and fun to read.

There is a second edition the viz released for 10 bucks, so you can look into it.
Old 2004-04-29, 05:10   Link #42
Tellu54
Banned

RahXephon's comics were OK... I'm currently reading Anna Freaks, which is a STRANGE manga about... I'm not even sure. It strikes me as the kind of thing somebody who likes disturbing crap like Gantz would enjoy.

Also, the Hyper Police manga is a riot.
Old 2004-04-29, 10:01   Link #43
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotonoha
You might also want to check out "Milk Closet" from Hitoshi Tomizawa (of "Alien Nine" fame). This 4-volume series evokes the same bizarr and yet fascinating feeling like "Alien Nine". It was serialized in the magazine Afternoon (Blame!, Narutaru, Blade of the Immortal etc.)
Oh, thanks for that receommendation! As soon as you said it was by the mangaka of Alien Nine I was sold. Fascinating stuff.

Someone recommended Wings of Vendemiare, the 2-volume debut work from the mangaka of Narutaru, Mohiro Kitoh. Thank you so much! It was amazing. Very similar style and tone to Narutaru, but I like the steam punk feel.

I also like:
Ludwig Kakumei by Kaoru Yuki - she's got her medeival goth bishonen, visual kei look going on. Awesome. A dark, hilarious twist on fairy tales like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. I read this after watching Princess Tutu, so it reminded me of that only 100 times more disturbing. Seriously, Kaoru Yuki's characters look frickin inhuman they so hot, both male and female characters. (Well yeah they're not real humans this is art but see it and you'll know what I mean...)

Shuna's Journey by Miyazaki - The prototype manga for Nausicaa. Need I say more?
Old 2004-04-29, 17:26   Link #44
Ialdaboth

I haven't seen it mentionned yet, so I will propose Nana by Ai Yazawa (Paradise Kiss). Wonderful shoujo manga, plenty of *very* interesting characters, and good artwork.
Old 2004-04-30, 14:04   Link #45
gokigenyou

My personal recommendations of good manga that many may not know about...

"Mint na Bokura" Author: Wataru Yoshizumi
"Pretty Face" Author: Kano Yasuhiro
"Devil Devil" Author: Yuki Miyoshi
"Boku no Marie" Author: Takeuchi Sakura
"Katteni Kaizou" Author: Koji Kumeta
"Angel Dust" Author: Aoi Nanase
"Hitsuji no Uta" Author: Kei Toume
"Kamikaze" Author: Satoshi Shiki

-Gokigenyou

Last edited by gokigenyou; 2004-04-30 at 14:15.
Old 2004-04-30, 14:36   Link #46
AnimeFangirl

I second Hitsuji no Uta as well, except that only vol 1 and a little of vol 2 has been scanslated. Get it in Japanese if you can: it's always sad when you have to stop reading a great series just because you can't get any more.
Old 2004-04-30, 21:50   Link #47
MetaFire
Wuthuh?

It's licensed, but I like Alice 19th by Yu Watase, well of the 3 volumes I read. The drawings are sooo well done and very pretty. I discovered it by randomly browsing my local Barnes and Noble without ever hearing about it before. Then bought it on impulse. I haven't found any scanlations of later volumes online, so waiting 2 months for a new volume is torture. -_-;
Old 2004-05-01, 01:10   Link #48
dojoo
Japanese Translator???

Has anyone heard of or read Karakuri Circus ???

I love it soo much and I've been readin it since it came out cos I liked Ushi to Tora
The story is sooo complicated and tangled up in Karakuri Circus

Many people dislike it from the drawing style of the Author though....

Dojoo
Old 2004-05-01, 02:19   Link #49
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

Send a message via AIM to Key Send a message via MSN to Key
Whoever recommended Yotsuba to!, I'm behind you 100%. It's downright hysterical and I enjoyed it way more than Azumanga Daioh (which was also hilarious in its own right). Yotsuba-chan is sort of like Chiyo but way more cute (IMO, anyway) and wacky. She's ADD on speed.

Also, anything by Yuki Kaori. Namely Earl Cain, God Child, Ludwig Kakumei, and Blood Hound. Yeh, well, most of her stuff is fantastic (and her artstyle is second to... well, second to one person in my book). Dark and moody.

O! And as for the mangaka that actually managed to beat Yuki-sensei (in terms of artwork) in my little black book... Shurei Kouyu. Read Alichino! I'm sure there are scans floating around and this is... wow. It's about a young man named Tsugiri who works together with Alichinos (preternaturally beautiful creatures who steal souls away, disguising their heinous deed with a facade of wish-granting). He hates them yet he tolerates them. Very, very good series. The only downside is that the magazine it was published in got canned so who knows if Shurei-sensei will be able to finish this work.
Old 2004-05-01, 02:24   Link #50
Ishinda

Hikarinokiseki is translating some nice mangas like Tomorrow.
Old 2004-05-01, 04:47   Link #51
Seta

Send a message via ICQ to Seta Send a message via AIM to Seta
I just finished reading Lilim Kiss and it's to be one of the better romantic comedies I've read. When you add up all the points of it, it doesn't seem that great; everything about the manga is a little cliched and the plot is nothing special. But, I love the characters and the series' charm really draws me to it. It also doesn't drag itself like Love Hina and alot of another romances. Unfortunately, since it doesn't drag itself, it's only 2 volumes so alot of the story is rushed and there weren't as many little "adventures" as I hoped. Recommended for anyone looking for a sweet story.
Old 2004-05-01, 14:55   Link #52
SlugZilla
woofles

I strongly recommend Deathnote to all who want something different, it's Obata Takeshi's current manga series.
Old 2004-05-01, 15:10   Link #53
theKankuro
Puppet Mastah

Send a message via AIM to theKankuro Send a message via MSN to theKankuro Send a message via Yahoo to theKankuro
I'd recommend www.megatokyo.com
It's really funny. I think pretty man know of that manga thought, but not everyone..
Old 2004-05-01, 20:13   Link #54
neilworms

Quote:
I'd recommend www.megatokyo.com
It's really funny. I think pretty man know of that manga thought, but not everyone..
Megatokyo????! everybody in the world knows about that manga, and in my opinion its not very good .

Stuff I'd recommend

Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix: I'm shocked not so many people know about this work. This is Tezuka (pretty much the founder of modern manga) at his best dealing with very sophsitcated issues surrounding the human race. The manga spans 1000s of years covering many different time periods. Amazing layouts (one story is even told from the perspective of 5 people at the same time), great storytelling and its all very addictive. Comedy drama action this manga has everything and not only does it have everything it does everything with a smart execution. This manga is liscensed from viz and is currently on volume 3 (with the 4th volume coming out in about a week).

Monokuro Kinderbook: A series of short stories from alternative japanese cartoonist Kan Takahama. Very slice of life drama oriented, but the stories are not without their surprises or interesting qualities. The artwork is fantastic and very expressive, which is reflective of the french/japanese movement this work is part of (the french being known for very high quality art, Japan being known for diverstiy and sophistcated storytelling) Its also liscensed and being published by the very small and obscure publisher Ponent Mon which doesn't sell on amazon.com but you could probably find them at Mars Import (I'm working on a longer review of this which I will post a link to).

I also really liked Hurkano Manichi E (sic) from Manga-sketchbook which was cartooned by Jiro Taniguchi, but the only problem is the translation is very rough on this one... so I haven't finished it yet.

Also recommended if you want really weird stuff check out the short manga that the Comics Journal has been publishing in their magazine lately. Surreal shorts like Screw Style from Yoshiharu Tsuge and morbidly and oddly amusing works from horror manga-ka hideshi hino (in the recient special)

I'll also add my recommendation for mangascreener's stuff... they rock
Old 2004-05-02, 05:09   Link #55
theKankuro
Puppet Mastah

Send a message via AIM to theKankuro Send a message via MSN to theKankuro Send a message via Yahoo to theKankuro
I've met some people who didnt know about it, sadly to say.
Old 2004-05-02, 06:09   Link #56
Thany
Unfair

Since we're speaking of interesting mangas that a lot of people might not know, there was also that manga... Ichigo Mashimaro, a quite funny comedy, but not much people may know about it though.
Old 2004-05-02, 12:19   Link #57
Hokage Ace

Bowling King is a very good manga, one of my favorites, Null just started translating it, they are at chapter 3, really worth a look.

http://users.skynet.be/tuture/
Old 2004-05-03, 17:32   Link #58
Alcy
Left! Right! Seven! Cake!

Angelique. Not licensed...there are some scanslations of the first volume around, and text-only translations of the rest, but my favourite by far at the moment. http://marfisa.net/ange has more information...oh, and lots of biseinen, a few bishounen, and a few masculine guys.
Old 2004-05-03, 17:38   Link #59
Key
s e m p i t e r n a l

Send a message via AIM to Key Send a message via MSN to Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Since we're speaking of interesting mangas that a lot of people might not know, there was also that manga... Ichigo Mashimaro, a quite funny comedy, but not much people may know about it though.
Ichigo Mashimaro is very... very cute. Like toothache-inducingly cute.

Not as humorous as Yotsuba to!, but funny all the same (note: they run in the same manga anthology). It's another one of those everyday life manga series with a bit of a twist. And did I mention it's so cute?
Old 2004-05-04, 01:29   Link #60
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Albatross...the best golf manga ever

it's about this 16 year old kid with a blind black caddie and they play golf in the weirdest courses.

the kid has this 9 feet long driver

I don't know if it's still serialized, but i read it like 12 years ago...
Closed Thread

Tags
underappreciated, manga