AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-09, 11:49   Link #1421
magnuskn

It actually did not fail at all. Star Date is one of the top episodes of the entire series.
Old 2012-11-09, 11:54   Link #1422
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

We're talking about direction here, magnus.
Yes; in your respect, the episode was decent, fair, and loved by many fans.
But in the sense of the episode leading towards something, the directors and animators seemed conflicted on the direction in which the story was headed for that particular scene, especially with one looking around constantly for something we never see (which gives props to AR fans like myself who notice this behavior) and the other playing around without gaining his attention UNTIL he notices she's not following him (once again this happens off screen leading to him walking back into view to reclaim her and continue onward to another completely awkward scene that is randomly placed into the equation). The whole direction of that scene never made sense during its run and still doesn't make sense to me now. If he wasn't looking for Ranka that whole time then who IS he looking for because Sheryl is following behind him not in front? If you think about it logically, the creators really screwed that up if the direction was laid on Sheryl.
Old 2012-11-09, 14:58   Link #1423
magnuskn

I think the only scene which really was badly done in that episode was the lead-up to them going to Folmo. And only in the sense that there was a possible dual interpretation why Alto took Sheryl there.

Then again, maybe that wasn't unintentional at all. The writers sure did know how to keep the audience still guessing until the end, after all.
Old 2012-11-09, 15:14   Link #1424
Matts
An... Historian OOOH-

I'm trying to look for all the small sings linking the three together and didn't think he was searching for Ranka at all, just hanging around while Sheryl explored. He would have had time to look for Ranka while Sheryl was busy writing her lyrics, but what did he do? Ask about why people sing and fly, while folding a paper plane and letting it fly off.

They might have wanted to add something with him noticing Ranka the first time, but it never went anywhere. I thought episode 6 had a better moment for AR shippers that none of them seem to bring up, or I just missed it, but Ranka never acted on that so that just highlighted the problem she and Alto have with communicating as far as I see it.

Only had time to watch 3 episodes now, so I'm behind, but I'm having problems with my health again, will finish the rest when I get to it.

Spoiler for Episode 07 - First Attack:

Spoiler for Episode 08 - Highschool Queen - the horrors of low budget animation:

Spoiler for Episode 09 - Friendly fire:

@magnus: When Sheryl is looking at the cows or whatever they are Alto doesn't seem to be doing anything, he isn't looking for anyone, than it's Sheryl who asks about the mall, so the only two scenes were spotting Ranka and the one on the train with Sheryl, but it was her who dragged him there anyway. So yeah, that didn't go anywhere.
Old 2012-11-10, 13:34   Link #1425
magnuskn

True enough. As I said, it's only the scene with the telescope where the direction is kinda wonky, which I chalk up to them wanting to be coy about Altos intentions.
Old 2012-11-14, 04:30   Link #1426
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist

Well, just finished the series, so it's time for me to reflect.

It was good as everyone advertise. It'd be better than SDF, except for one minor detail...Alto didn't choose a girl! At least Hikaru was able to make up his mind...

Ep. 20 was a real tear jerker, when Micheal sacrificed himself to save Klan. I knew it was coming, but still didn't prepare me for it though.

Prolly my favorite song in the whole series is What 'Bout my Star duet with Sheryl and Ranka. Very awesome! But the Basara/Emilia duet of Heart and Soul my favorite of the franchise.

@magnus and Matts: Sry the only thing I remember seeing from that mall trip was Sheryl writing lyrics on some oversized panstu and Klan giving the 'wtf' face
Old 2012-11-14, 07:48   Link #1427
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Well, just finished the series, so it's time for me to reflect.

It was good as everyone advertise. It'd be better than SDF, except for one minor detail...Alto didn't choose a girl! At least Hikaru was able to make up his mind...
Oh, ya gotta watch the movies for that...
Old 2012-11-14, 08:12   Link #1428
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

You're mean, Gubaba...

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-14, 08:33   Link #1429
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
You're mean, Gubaba...
What...? I'm keepin' it real, man. I'm keepin' it real.
Old 2012-11-14, 08:36   Link #1430
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
It was good as everyone advertise. It'd be better than SDF, except for one minor detail...Alto didn't choose a girl!
Well, I always say that the series simply was ended by writers before he could do that. I'm pretty much 100% sure that Alto already had chosen before the credits rolled.
Old 2012-11-14, 10:01   Link #1431
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, I always say that the series simply was ended by writers before he could do that. I'm pretty much 100% sure that Alto already had chosen before the credits rolled.
But he actually came out and SAID it only in the movies, right?
Old 2012-11-14, 12:13   Link #1432
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
But he actually came out and SAID it only in the movies, right?
Well, yes. Difficult to argue against that. ^^
Old 2012-11-14, 12:24   Link #1433
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

If anyone cares, I will make a reply in the group since I know where this is going...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 14:09   Link #1434
Tak

I think these days, it feels more like we are being reminded that Ranka actually existed as a character in Frontier.

gasp, goddess forbid we forget her!

Though it tend to produce a complete opposite effect than perhaps what was intended.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-11-15, 14:18   Link #1435
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I think these days, it feels more like we are being reminded that Ranka actually existed as a character in Frontier.

gasp, goddess forbid we forget her!

Though it tend to produce a complete opposite effect than perhaps what was intended.

- Tak
I still like her, though.

In the series, I thought she was all right... and in the movies, I thought she was pretty damn amazing.
Old 2012-11-15, 14:20   Link #1436
Tak

Quote:
In the series, I thought she was all right... and in the movies, I thought she was pretty damn amazing.
I like her concert in the movies. I thought it was amazing.

Not so much in the series. Having certain types of fans I would never want to be alongside depicted didn't help, either.

- Tak

Old 2012-11-15, 14:27   Link #1437
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
I like her concert in the movies. I thought it was amazing.
I still think "Niji-iro Kuma Kuma" was the best sequence in the second movie.
Old 2012-11-15, 14:36   Link #1438
Tak

Quote:
I still think "Niji-iro Kuma Kuma" was the best sequence in the second movie.
The very one I am referring to.

- Tak

Old 2012-11-15, 15:07   Link #1439
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
The very one I am referring to.

- Tak
Shall we all watch it again...? I say so.

OPEN RANKA!!

Tags
macross frontier, re-watch