AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-22, 17:11   Link #1
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
Itune & keris music program can i transfer paid for items?

hey i was thinking this is stupid question is i bought alot of song on itune can i transfer to samsung keris program
Old 2012-01-22, 20:16   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

This should be moved to the tech support forum.

I don't know what Samsung Keris is, and Googling didn't make it any clearer. The answer is, probably yes.

Music purchased through iTunes isn't stored within iTunes. It's a file on your computer. Most iTunes files are of the .m4a extension and encoded with the AAC codec. If the Samsung Keris doesn't support that file extension, you can create an AAC version through iTunes itself; if the Keris doesn't support AAC, there is free audio conversion software that will allow you to change the codec and file extension. You'll lose some audio quality in the process, but you likely won't notice the difference. I used to use CDeX for that purpose; it's older software that hasn't been updated in a long time (and it's not very user-friendly). There are likely newer, free alternatives.

If you bought music on iTunes a very long time ago, some of the music may have copy protection. I believe these files will have a .m4p extension instead of .m4a. In that case, even if the Keris supports AAC and .m4a, you may need to do some work on the files. You would need to get rid of the protection (use software like MyFairTunes).

(Note to moderators: getting around iTunes' copy protection is not in violation of the forum rules, as Apple has since removed copy protection from all of their music and even offered customers the ability to download copy protection-free versions if the purchase was made within the span of a year or so from when they removed the copy protections. I doubt it affects many people now, but it remains as an archaic thing that is no longer endorsed or supported by Apple.)
Old 2012-01-23, 12:53   Link #3
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
It's called Kies, not Keris .. o.o

Ps. It doesn't matter what Kies supports, its just a program used on your computer to transfer files to your phone. It's about what your phone supports..
Old 2012-01-24, 08:08   Link #4
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
If you bought music on iTunes a very long time ago, some of the music may have copy protection. I believe these files will have a .m4p extension instead of .m4a. In that case, even if the Keris supports AAC and .m4a, you may need to do some work on the files. You would need to get rid of the protection (use software like MyFairTunes).

(Note to moderators: getting around iTunes' copy protection is not in violation of the forum rules, as Apple has since removed copy protection from all of their music and even offered customers the ability to download copy protection-free versions if the purchase was made within the span of a year or so from when they removed the copy protections. I doubt it affects many people now, but it remains as an archaic thing that is no longer endorsed or supported by Apple.)
It seems that music bought off iTunes in the Japanese iTunes Store still appear to use Fairplay-protected AAC (.m4p). I haven't managed to test it out for a while though (it appears you cannot re-download previously purchased music, only Apps and Books).

Most phones and media software these days do support AAC (m4a), the audio format that music on iTunes currently sells in the other countries. Thus, you shouldn't really have problems playing back AAC audio on your phone, let alone importing said purchased music into the Samsung Kies software.
Old 2012-01-24, 17:48   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
It seems that music bought off iTunes in the Japanese iTunes Store still appear to use Fairplay-protected AAC (.m4p). I haven't managed to test it out for a while though (it appears you cannot re-download previously purchased music, only Apps and Books).
Yes, you can redownload songs from iTunes. Just go to iTunes Store > Purchase. Then, you can download the songs you have purchased, but not on your computer.
Old 2012-01-24, 19:19   Link #6
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Yes, you can redownload songs from iTunes. Just go to iTunes Store > Purchase. Then, you can download the songs you have purchased, but not on your computer.
Seems I failed to mention that this doesn't apply in the Japanese iTunes Store... but for (most of) the other countries, you can redownload previously purchased songs.
Compare:

Australia:
Spoiler:

Japan:
Spoiler:
Old 2012-01-24, 21:25   Link #7
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Seems I failed to mention that this doesn't apply in the Japanese iTunes Store... but for (most of) the other countries, you can redownload previously purchased songs.
Compare:

Australia:
Spoiler:

Japan:
Spoiler:
That really sucks, which is a main reason I stick to buying CDs if I want to get Japanese music, even if it costs a bit more... especially if their songs are still DRMed. :/