Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-28, 06:48   Link #41
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
I still think dirty thoughts are bad!
Maybe you should be watching Tokyo Mew Mew or something and not Gantz then.
Old 2004-08-28, 07:13   Link #42
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
Maybe you should be watching Tokyo Mew Mew or something and not Gantz then.
I never seen Tokyo Mew Mew, and I have no idea why it has to do with Gantz. ^^

I think the Gantz concept itself is great but it doesn't make Kurono character any less likeable, now that I see he's just really weird and perverted, which is his character flaw.
Old 2004-08-28, 07:50   Link #43
stpehen
kisses for all

I watched the first episode of Season Two with extremely low expectations after the first season, and I was still disappointed. The alterations and extra material that they are adding to the story are just so ridiculous and over-dramaticized. I enjoy the manga but I don't know if I can continue watching the anime because at this rate it's going to turn me off the manga as well.
Old 2004-08-28, 10:54   Link #44
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

The second stage got rid of one of my big issues with the first stage, namely the censorship.

However with regards to another issue, that of the sudden change in character of the punk boss (he became suddenly all nice guy at end of first stage), I will say that for the second stage,
Spoiler:

All in all, hopefully that was just a hiccup. I'm more curious on how they are going to resolve what the heck Gantz is, considering that the mangaka has not even given a whit of conclusive information on what Gantz is for 171 chapters

There is something which may likely be a hint to that, here in the first episode.
Spoiler:
But it is too vague to get any conclusive ideas for what the end would be.

It is certain however that
Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-28, 11:06   Link #45
Silent Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh

It is certain however that
Spoiler:
I found that to be an freaky omen. One suggestion to all those who have not read the manga. Do not get attached to any character.
Old 2004-08-28, 11:19   Link #46
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Quote:
All in all, hopefully that was just a hiccup. I'm more curious on how they are going to resolve what the heck Gantz is, considering that the mangaka has not even given a whit of conclusive information on what Gantz is for 171 chapters

There is something which may likely be a hint to that, here in the first episode.
Spoiler:
aaa yes, I tought that was strange too,
Spoiler for ep 14:
Old 2004-08-28, 12:14   Link #47
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpehen
I watched the first episode of Season Two with extremely low expectations after the first season, and I was still disappointed. The alterations and extra material that they are adding to the story are just so ridiculous and over-dramaticized. I enjoy the manga but I don't know if I can continue watching the anime because at this rate it's going to turn me off the manga as well.
Yes, I have to agree. Why is it so hard to stay faithful to the manga? They should only change things if they can improve them, but they never can and they never learn. Manga is basically a storyboard for making anime from the beginning, there is no reason what so ever to 'adapt' it, by adding senseless scenes. When you have seasons like Gantz, there's even no reason to add filler.

Also, most of the character designs (especially haircolors) are way wrong. And I can't believe how a manga with very attractive women becomes an anime with ugly to so-so looking women. I hate to come off as a "manga elitist" the same way I hated them myself before I started reading them, but the anime is just inferior in every way, and it doesn't look very likely to change. At least I caught an interest for the manga through the anime.
Old 2004-08-28, 12:49   Link #48
a_nevels666

Quote:
The second stage got rid of one of my big issues with the first stage, namely the censorship.
No it didn't, it's gorier than the cut version of the first season, but still toned down compared to the manga.

Quote:
btw is Sakuraoka, the Lara Croft everyone been talking about?
Not sure about her name, but she was the black-haired girl in episode 14.
Of course she barely looks like Lara Croft anymore in the anime...
Old 2004-08-28, 13:22   Link #49
Secca
nya`
*Artist

Anyone think for some reason that magazine store is kinda coincidence? Wasn't some of the people from the previous mission was there too in that store? ^^
Old 2004-08-28, 13:58   Link #50
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
No it didn't, it's gorier than the cut version of the first season, but still toned down compared to the manga.
I don't really care much about the goriness for the anime. It is the breakdown in fluidity of the story telling that the censorship heavily caused. With Gantz 2nd Stage out of FujiTV's hands and on satellite channel, we would not get those obvious gaps in the story and evaluate the anime more fairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secca
btw is Sakuraoka, the Lara Croft everyone been talking about?
Quote:
The Lara Croft-lookalike was never named in the manga because she was supposed to be Lara Croft (saying her name would likely bring copyright issues from Eidos). Just like the Sadako following the so-called gay. Those two were meant to be spoofs for a 'wow' and 'cool' factor which was great in the manga (Lara from you know... Lara Croft and Sadako from the Ring).

By turning Lara into a 'real Japanese human' however, those attracting factors are now eliminated, making her just one of the normal humans.
Old 2004-08-28, 14:11   Link #51
a_nevels666

Quote:
I don't really care much about the goriness for the anime. It is the breakdown in fluidity of the story telling that the censorship heavily caused. With Gantz 2nd Stage out of FujiTV's hands and on satellite channel, we would not get those obvious gaps in the story and evaluate the anime more fairly.
While I sort of agree with that, but I still think toning down the sex/violence is annoying and makes this anime less interesting since those things added a lot to the 'Wow, that's pretty f[or]ked up right there!' factor.

And the first season is available uncut anyway, just a little later.
Old 2004-08-28, 14:18   Link #52
Silent Otaku

Quote:

She hardly has any resemblence to her at all in the anime. I guess it was to avoid any conflicts that may arise later due to it.
Old 2004-08-28, 15:36   Link #53
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Otaku
She hardly has any resemblence to her at all in the anime. I guess it was to avoid any conflicts that may arise later due to it.
I don't see why it neccesary to change her looks. I've seen cameos of Lara Croft in a lot of other comics/games. Maybe they just can't draw her very well. At least in the next episode she'll be in her Lara-outfit...(check the preview for ep.15)
Old 2004-08-28, 21:03   Link #54
Silent Otaku

Quote:
I don't see why it neccesary to change her looks. I've seen cameos of Lara Croft in a lot of other comics/games. Maybe they just can't draw her very well. At least in the next episode she'll be in her Lara-outfit...(check the preview for ep.15)
Yes but I doubt she was involved in any adult situations in those cameos.
Old 2004-08-29, 00:37   Link #55
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Otaku
Yes but I doubt she was involved in any adult situations in those cameos.
Then it's obvious you've not seen any of those fan comics (Western and Asian) involving Miss Croft
Old 2004-08-30, 01:26   Link #56
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well, I actually somewhat liked the first episode of season 2... it's more dramatized for sure, especially in making that rider guy much more heroic... but then the anime series makes Kurono more heroic too

Quote:
The Lara Croft-lookalike was never named in the manga because she was supposed to be Lara Croft (saying her name would likely bring copyright issues from Eidos). Just like the Sadako following the so-called gay. Those two were meant to be spoofs for a 'wow' and 'cool' factor which was great in the manga (Lara from you know... Lara Croft and Sadako from the Ring).

By turning Lara into a 'real Japanese human' however, those attracting factors are now eliminated, making her just one of the normal humans.
well, I always thought that girl was just a Lara Croft cosplayer, and that Sadako... well, a female stalker...

I can't wait to see them fighting buddhas, that fight is still the coolest in the manga imo. Season two seems to include the fights against buddhas and pro-wrestlers, wondering if they'll make a season 3 and maybe 4 (I think even the currently available manga material should be enough for at least 4 seasons)

Spoiler:
Old 2004-08-30, 04:16   Link #57
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
well, I actually somewhat liked the first episode of season 2... it's more dramatized for sure, especially in making that rider guy much more heroic... but then the anime series makes Kurono more heroic too

well, I always thought that girl was just a Lara Croft cosplayer, and that Sadako... well, a female stalker...

I can't wait to see them fighting buddhas, that fight is still the coolest in the manga imo. Season two seems to include the fights against buddhas and pro-wrestlers, wondering if they'll make a season 3 and maybe 4 (I think even the currently available manga material should be enough for at least 4 seasons)

Spoiler:
What pro-wrestlers? I don't remember any pro-wrestlers.

And the classroom scene is there to replace an even more ecchi scene in the manga...
Old 2004-08-30, 04:29   Link #58
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

I thought those aliens after the buddhas act like pro-wrestlers... or are they kungfu actors?

I guess GONZO just like nude scenes in classroom
Old 2004-08-30, 05:34   Link #59
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
I thought those aliens after the buddhas act like pro-wrestlers... or are they kungfu actors?

I guess GONZO just like nude scenes in classroom
Oh wait, you mean those buff shorty-aliens that looked like Freeza (from DBZ) at 100% power. Those aliens never looked like pro-wrestlers or kungfu actors to me at all. I'm not sure if this season will even cover that arc, I'll have to check how many chapters these story arcs are...

EDIT: I checked and if they keep up a high pace they'll probably be able to include that arc. Which is nice, because I liked that one.
Old 2004-08-30, 08:34   Link #60
Silent Otaku

If it follows the manga faithfully, I could see this going for another 2- 14 ep season. If this season only last 14 episodes I don't think it will reach the

Spoiler:

I think the saddest part of this season is going to be when Kei loses his 1st
Spoiler:

Last edited by Silent Otaku; 2004-08-30 at 08:56.
Closed Thread