Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Science & Technology

Notices

Old 2013-08-21, 00:05   Link #2201
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Hacker who exposed Facebook bug to get reward from unexpected source
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...97J0WD20130820
It's pride. They think they are already perfect well in fact they are not, refusing suggestion and reports from outsiders because they think that their technologies are flawless. Poor arrogant people, can't accept someone is better than they are.
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 01:42   Link #2202
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
I still think a human sacrifice is not worth of any discovery. Whether it is for the totality, unless it's a life and death situation for the World. It's too early to send someone out there considering that our world is still too far from extinction. I believe they should make a way first of how this people will return here, before sending them.
Someone has to go there first, or we'll never go at all. It will always be "too early" if you want the safety and comfort of a mature space travel technology that can only be brought about by doing it. Imagine if all the explorers had said "fine, I'll go there, but only after there's a railway to take me, and a five star hotel to lodge in"?

And really, who are you to say "it's not worth it"? It's not your life, it's not your money, and you don't seem to know much about the subject. They want to go, let them.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-21, 05:26   Link #2203
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
*snip*
Spoiler for Sword Art Online:
Old 2013-08-23, 00:13   Link #2204
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Someone has to go there first, or we'll never go at all. It will always be "too early" if you want the safety and comfort of a mature space travel technology that can only be brought about by doing it. Imagine if all the explorers had said "fine, I'll go there, but only after there's a railway to take me, and a five star hotel to lodge in"?

And really, who are you to say "it's not worth it"? It's not your life, it's not your money, and you don't seem to know much about the subject. They want to go, let them.
I only have one simple point here. Round trip and not a one way trip. I don't give a damn even if they reach pluto, just secure the astronauts a way back into Earth. What's the purpose of them sending machines from the tips of the universe, if they will defy its purpose of sending someone in Mars and not securing his way back? I mean, they should consider the life on that individual. What if the people will suggest that the sponsoring part itself will be the one to go? Do you think this billionaire pips will agree? Of course they want others to go, for what sole reason? They don't want to DIE. If they can't bring those people back, then that mission weren't be worth it. It's not even a life and death situation for humans as a whole, why do that?
Old 2013-08-23, 02:22   Link #2205
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

17th century colonies were considered one way trips a lot of the time. The idea was to live in the New World, not go and come back to Europe. 16th century exploration was there and back again for the most part, as were things like the gold trade to Spain.

For Mars, we did our exploration phase already. We've not deturmined a resource that is so valuable that it is required to send cargo ships from Mars to Earth, and we certainly have not found natives to covert to Facebook. The goal is the establish a new home for the human race, or at least a start of one. There may be a plan in case of failure, but considering the distance, such efforts would take several months to a year to arrive.

It is possible they might send up an escape ship, but how likely is a new colony going to be able to launch a spacecraft into Martian orbit? Though it does have only about a third the Earth's gravity and only takes about half the espace velocity to leave Mars.

But on the other hand, scientist also think "Warp Drive" is possible and are working on it. A "simple" faster-than-light drive, or even a near-light-speed drive that solves the acceleration problem for human flight would be enough to make space flight within the Solar System more like Air Travel rather than Sailing ships or row boats across the Oceans of the World. Such speeds would put the planets at minutes to hours away rather than months to years (even decades) away. Days at the most, as far out as Neptune.
Old 2013-08-23, 10:59   Link #2206
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I still think a human sacrifice is not worth of any discovery. Whether it is for the totality, unless it's a life and death situation for the World. It's too early to send someone out there considering that our world is still too far from extinction. I believe they should make a way first of how this people will return here, before sending them.
Can't disagree any more here. Frankly, if explorers and scientists held the same view you do, the most advanced method of transport we'd probably have today would be our own two legs, with civilizations from diff. parts of the world still isolated from each other.

Quote:
I only have one simple point here. Round trip and not a one way trip. I don't give a damn even if they reach pluto, just secure the astronauts a way back into Earth. What's the purpose of them sending machines from the tips of the universe, if they will defy its purpose of sending someone in Mars and not securing his way back? I mean, they should consider the life on that individual. What if the people will suggest that the sponsoring part itself will be the one to go? Do you think this billionaire pips will agree? Of course they want others to go, for what sole reason? They don't want to DIE. If they can't bring those people back, then that mission weren't be worth it. It's not even a life and death situation for humans as a whole, why do that?
Yes, because exploration is totally a rich men's game, instead of something that has always inspired and sought out by mankind throughout history, and those are totally not volunteers, they were forced to sign up at gunpoint!!!

They are just like those dumb colonists, whom totally shouldn't have went and settled in America, just look at how many of them never got to go back to Europe!

You clearly don't understand/appreciate the value of space exploration, which IMO is one of the more noble scientific pursuit in recent human history.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 12:41   Link #2207
AnimeFan188

Why Programming a Quantum Computer Is So Damn Hard:

"Someday, somehow, quantum computing is going to change the world as we know it.
Even the lamest quantum computer is orders of magnitude more powerful than
anything we could ever make today. But figuring out how to program one is
ridiculously hard."

See:

http://gizmodo.com/why-programming-a...ard-1188316086
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-23, 13:47   Link #2208
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
What Ithekro and kyp275.

Plus, they aren't going there to be fed to space monster as soon as they land. They're going to build an habitat and live. It may not be as healthy as a cabin in the country that's also next to a hospital, but it's not precisely a death sentence. And they may get buried on Mars, but while they live they'll still have the internet to communicate with the rest of the world. (Very big lag, though.)
Old 2013-08-23, 14:07   Link #2209
kyp275
Meh

Well, at least the colonists can legitimately use the "it's the lag!" excuse when they get owned in BF or SC etc.
Old 2013-08-23, 14:23   Link #2210
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

@SummeryDreams you are overestimating some people desire to live on earth, when you think about it the astronauts are all volunteer and might have many reason to go an one-way trip there, maybe they tired of living on earth with all the responsibilities and social pressure and want to go to a new world where they have more freedom, after all for a very long time there will be very few people there and after some work they are free to do whatever they want. maybe they have always dreamed of exploring and living in a whole new world and have their name written in history, and many more reason that will motivate thousands or even millions to sign up for that one way trip to Mar. I believe such reason is what motivate many explorers in history to discover new lands as well.
Old 2013-08-23, 14:32   Link #2211
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
these are all VOLUNTEERS who are more aware of the odds then you do. They are going knowing this is a one way trip and in a emergency. A rescue attempt will probably no be possible, at least not in time. Knowing this, this project i still going to end up with more volunteers then it needs for a 100 mission.

if i didn't just get married last year i would strongly consider throwing my name into the hat. Althought i doubt i would qualify.

if our ancestors were like you and only travel when it is absolutely safe we still be struck in Africa. Because you know there lions, tigers and bears out there.
Old 2013-08-23, 14:49   Link #2212
Kimidori
The Opened Ultimate Gate

on a related note.

A one-way ticket too tempting to
ignore: 165,000 apply for
mission to colonise Mars - despite
no chance of them ever
returning to Earth
Old 2013-08-23, 14:58   Link #2213
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
@SummeryDreams you are overestimating some people desire to live on earth, when you think about it the astronauts are all volunteer and might have many reason to go an one-way trip there, maybe they tired of living on earth with all the responsibilities and social pressure and want to go to a new world where they have more freedom, after all for a very long time there will be very few people there and after some work they are free to do whatever they want. maybe they have always dreamed of exploring and living in a whole new world and have their name written in history, and many more reason that will motivate thousands or even millions to sign up for that one way trip to Mar. I believe such reason is what motivate many explorers in history to discover new lands as well.
Let's not exaggerate. Life will be constrained by the lack of space and material. And I'm sure there'll be a lot of work to be done.

But they won't be able to do much that involves the outdoors (I suppose they'll be able to take walks in suits, but they'll be pretty hazardous for casual stuff), I don't want to think about the food, and they won't be able to change jobs and move away if they get tired of their lives. They'd also better get along. They're going to be stuck together a long while - they'd better get along.
Old 2013-08-23, 20:15   Link #2214
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
these are all VOLUNTEERS who are more aware of the odds then you do. They are going knowing this is a one way trip and in a emergency. A rescue attempt will probably no be possible, at least not in time. Knowing this, this project i still going to end up with more volunteers then it needs for a 100 mission.

if i didn't just get married last year i would strongly consider throwing my name into the hat. Althought i doubt i would qualify.

if our ancestors were like you and only travel when it is absolutely safe we still be struck in Africa. Because you know there lions, tigers and bears out there.
You've said it yourself, when you're not married you will throw yourself in? The Africa case is different, that's complete curiousity - they DON'T KNOW if they can still come back or not anymore, but this Mars thing, they are SURE they aren't coming back. AND TO THINK OF IT, we all know that Mars isn't habitable. It's not that they DON'T KNOW if it is, but they know that IT ISN'T. And they all know the fact that they aren't coming back. There's no food, no water, how in the hell will they be able to survive there if not getting supplies from Earth? I might consider this one way trip, only if they can survive there without Earth's resources which is by far not gonna happen. I've always wanted to be an astronaut when I was a little kid, loved reading books about it, and stuff, up until now (I won't be dealing with this Mars thing if I don't). I guess we all know what situation do Mars have, how life is impossible there. A man can't even survive breathing Mars air, then why live there?
Old 2013-08-24, 01:01   Link #2215
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There is water. It is expected that the soil can be made good enough to grow food in greenhouses. Oxygen will be an issues, but if they can secure a source of power they can use what would be considered dirty methods to split the carbon dioxide into oxygen. It wouldn't even be considered a bad thing on Mars if we are Terriforming the place since Mars could use a thicker atmosphere and more greenhouse gases to keep the heat in.

Make the planet warmer while being able to expand the numbers of green plants to generate oxygen (in additon to early technological methods of oxygen generation) and eventually, Mars is at least tolerable to live, if still somewhat on the cool side. Also melts some of the ice and more water is provided.

If we find no native lifeforms (bactieria and the like) we could eventually transplate other Earth species to Mars. From insects to larger mammals and birds. Maybe reptiles, and fish, though the prospects don't seem ideal for amphibians.

At least that is one theory about slowly changing Mars to suit our species.
Old 2013-08-24, 01:04   Link #2216
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
You've said it yourself, when you're not married you will throw yourself in? The Africa case is different, that's complete curiousity - they DON'T KNOW if they can still come back or not anymore, but this Mars thing, they are SURE they aren't coming back. AND TO THINK OF IT, we all know that Mars isn't habitable. It's not that they DON'T KNOW if it is, but they know that IT ISN'T. And they all know the fact that they aren't coming back. There's no food, no water, how in the hell will they be able to survive there if not getting supplies from Earth? I might consider this one way trip, only if they can survive there without Earth's resources which is by far not gonna happen. I've always wanted to be an astronaut when I was a little kid, loved reading books about it, and stuff, up until now (I won't be dealing with this Mars thing if I don't). I guess we all know what situation do Mars have, how life is impossible there. A man can't even survive breathing Mars air, then why live there?
The planet isn't habitable yet, but their living habitats will be, and in all honesty, probably better than many on earth who lives in pretty crappy places.

I'm not sure why you seem to think the entire plan involves sending people to Mars with no supply or tools or plan so they can just go and die there. For someone who always wanted to be an astronaut, you seem to have an extreme lack of understanding of how technology and space exploration works. This isn't science fantasy, planets don't come ready-made for you to explore at your own leisure with no risk.
Old 2013-08-24, 03:30   Link #2217
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

What's so good about dying on Earth that we must be able to return and die here? If I can live a life of purpose and meaning, it doesn't matter where I end up dying if I achieve something in the process.

In fact I don't feel like I belong to Earth, I feel that I belong to this universe, if I die, I want my ashes to be spread into outer space. My particles may even end up contributing to the formation of new stars and planets.

And if you have followed astronaut Chris Hadfield's chronicles or any other astronaut, he has been saying that astronauts hardly feel bored or lonely in space at all. Because of the internet, wireless communications, astronauts can communicate with anyone on Earth just as easily as people on Earth do, you can go on youtube, facebook, tweet etc.

Being sent to other space doesn't mean you're being kicked out of the human race, it only means you have expanded the size of the habitat that humans exist in.

EDIT: And as a chinese atheist, I am bound by quite foolish traditions. I don't want my descendants to waste time cleaning up my tomb, praying to my non existent soul or decomposed corpse, I want them to look into the sky and know that space is where humans should venture into and where they really belong.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 05:23   Link #2218
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
... if I die, I want my ashes to be spread into outer space. My particles may even end up contributing to the formation of new stars and planets.
That was beautifully poetic. It also seems like you could create a business with a space lift service by marketing that aspect... "have your ashes lifted and released into space, where they might become the next star." I'd imagine you could make some nice money that way.
Old 2013-08-24, 05:32   Link #2219
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I'm too materialistic.... I can't sign up... I bet it'll be boring up there....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 05:47   Link #2220
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Leave my particles on Earth, the Sun can spread them out in 5 billion years when it goes nova.

Quote:
The way I see it, you don't want to be an astronaut. You want to be a Star Fleet officer. And not one of the red shirts either...