AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Air

Notices

Old 2007-04-25, 15:18   Link #61
ibreatheanime

The series is rather emotional... I've been watching it on www.crunchyroll.com however it also can be rather confusing, I haven't watched the summer special yet... is it any good??
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 16:18   Link #62
Wuya

The summer specials are just "expansion" to the 2 flashback episodes. If you are addicted to air at that point, you may finish/end off by watching it.

to me it acted as a

1. happy "closure" to a sad series
2. closer look at the Kanna-Ryuuya-Urha relationships

it is only 2 episodes
Wuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 17:52   Link #63
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiKeichan
Hello, I don't really know "Air" that well.
But May I know what's the story about???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuya View Post
if you need a summary, try searching in wikipedia for a description, i think it will be enough for an overview and more if you want to read more of it.

I would advise you get the AIR the movie and watch it first, then watch the anime series
I don't think you'll find general agreement on this watching order, most people feel you should watch the TV series first because the movie is far too big a spoiler for the TV plot, and as the movie is generally regarded as a much lesser work spoilers in the other direction are not so big a deal. It's possible to argue for either ordering though I suppose. For me, the relationship between AirTV and movie is identical to the relationship between Twin Peaks (TV) and Fire Walk With Me (movie) in that the TV version has a supernatural explanation and the movie then retells the same story using a non-supernatural explanation. (However these days, most people probably don't know Twin Peaks....)

As for checking out wiki articles etc I'm wary about that too, it's easy to take the edge off a story by learning too much about it. Just the description of one of the characters in the first paragraph of the Air wiki article constitutes a MAJOR spoiler for something we're not supposed to learn until episode 5 (and yet it's something that every Air character guide I've seen thoughtlessly reveals).

In general I would say, if you think you might like to watch a series, then STOP reading any anime forums that discuss it at all and start watching it. In the case of Air you will know within 2 or 3 episodes if you like it.

In my case I know that I've had several series spoiled or at least the enjoyment diminished due to reading stuff on forums, even in general forums people often blurt stuff out without thinking and once you've learnt some key tidbit of information it's practically impossible to unlearn it.

If you want a non-spoiler intro to Air, this is what I wrote a couple of years ago when I first started watching it:
Quote:
At last I’m hooked on an anime series again, for the first time in around four months! The series I’m talking about is Air, which I will characterise as a cross between To Heart and Haibane Renmei. It’s about an indolent wandering youth, Yukito, who arrives in a sleepy seaside town and tries to make money with a rather lame animated stuffed toy which performs for passers-by.

Only there are no passers-by, no tourists anyhow, just a few local teenage girls who wander around aimlessly in ones and twos like himself. Everyone is a bit weird, but easy-going (except for the inevitable little brats), and Yukito finds himself drawn into friendships with these girls who basically have nothing better to do with their lives except meander around with their heads full of dreams.

Like To Heart, it seems a very gentle drama, but as in Haibane Renmei—or perhaps more like Twin Peaks?—you get the feeling that this is not an ordinary place, there is a subtle presence of magic which insinuates itself into things, from the dog called Potato who is like a four-legged Pikachu, to the girl Kano who claims to have magical powers but then laughs it off only to be seen enveloped in a strange light a little while later. Yukito is searching for a girl with wings that his mother once told him about, a girl who flies high in the sky, and the girls in this town have dreams of flying.

Air does not disappoint. I love the big skies, the towering fluffy white clouds, it reminds me of Hoshi no Koe in that respect, and is very appropriate given the title of the series. There’s a wonderful feeling of summer with its sunny but changeable weather, it’s hot but always clouds hovering in the background, bringing to mind the freshness rain brings. The wonderful atmosphere of Air really is atmosphere in a literal sense.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-25, 18:51   Link #64
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Aye... i also agree one should watch the series before the movie. With the movie you will have effectively spoiled the ending of the much longer watch that is the series. Only thing that the movie doesn't spoil is the stories of the other girls, because those are simply not covered in the movie. But the main story will be spoiled completely. (The movie also has actual romance, opposed to the series)

And nothing wrong with feeling like curling up in a corner after watching this... Air is, probably, one of the saddest things i have ever seen.
Old 2007-04-25, 20:21   Link #65
ibreatheanime

I agree that it is extremly sad. After watching 4 episodes in a row, I just wanted to cry. (the fansubb I was watching actually advised at the beginnings of some of the later episodes to bring tissues because they are so sad)

Also thanks Wuya for explaning the two summer special episodes!
ibreatheanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 05:55   Link #66
KeiKei-chan
A Great Friend !~!~!~!

Quote:
if you need a summary, try searching in wikipedia for a description, i think it will be enough for an overview and more if you want to read more of it.

I would advise you get the AIR the movie and watch it first, then watch the anime series- TV and summer speical- (in order of increasing story depth and movie is different so "less" spoilers in a way).

it is a tragic/magical story with real word elements/setting since it was based on real locations.

i really enjoyed it, though having tears in my eyes and a wrenched heart isnt exactly what guys want to feel like after watching a movie or show XD
Okay! I'll try.
Thanks!
KeiKei-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 19:10   Link #67
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

If you're watching and enjoying Kanon, then watching AIR should be natural as those two are both done by Key.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_%28visual_novel%29
Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 16:48   Link #68
Myrina
Kawaii-er then you~

>.> I admit... I cried more then I ever have to any anime in the last 3 or four eps..
;_;
It was a great anime though.
Myrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 01:31   Link #69
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Just finished marathoning the TV series, and I must say that's gotta be one of the saddest things I've ever seen.

If you're not crying by the end of this thing you're not human.

DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-05, 11:25   Link #70
Wuya

oh good, i thought i was turning into a wuss or something... XD
Wuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-10, 14:32   Link #71
Rengemaru
Mad Scientist

Quote:
oh good, i thought i was turning into a wuss or something... XD
don't worry we all cried at the end. And we even cry when we see it again.
Old 2007-05-10, 20:13   Link #72
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

I didn't even need to see AIR... I was just listening to AIR music and remembering some stuff while replying to some posts and I already felt like "a dirt got blown in my eye".
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-11, 21:31   Link #73
dahilig007
KKK Ninja Division

Send a message via Yahoo to dahilig007
Unhappy

The heck i hate the ending of Air >_<
dahilig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-18, 16:43   Link #74
Angel Wings
Anime Adict

Send a message via MSN to Angel Wings
i hoped that the ending would be nice, and she didnt die... I had a hard time not to cry ;;
Angel Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 17:57   Link #75
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Re. Misuzu's fate, remember she brought it on herself by drinking all that gut-rotting peach juice concentrate! (Mind you Yukito or someone should have stopped her.) The fact that she was always falling over shows she was already in a bad way with peach-clogged arteries even in episode 1.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 17:48   Link #76
dahilig007
KKK Ninja Division

Send a message via Yahoo to dahilig007
Spoiler for waa:

The heck...
dahilig007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-22, 18:00   Link #77
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
And nothing wrong with feeling like curling up in a corner after watching this... Air is, probably, one of the saddest things i have ever seen.
Same for me.
It has a way of leaving that feeling of: you've tried your best but alas, you were marked to fail before you even started.
All the mystery in the show and the small confusion elements really add to the feeling that you made a big unfixible mistake somewhere.
Old 2007-05-23, 23:06   Link #78
Lordshin
(´・ω・`)/ 

Man... i loved this series :P As much as i loved the Kanon remake...
But i feel that it was kinda rushed.... maybe after watching Kanon it felt rushed :P
But I thought the movie was HORRIBLE >< i didnt like it at all... i dont see how someone who has never watched the anime would be able to follow it...

I hope they're planning a 24 episode remake xD I wanna watch more of the summer arc :P Loved the extra eps Kanna, Ryuuya and Uraha were my favorite characters :P oh.. and dont forget Potato
Lordshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 14:41   Link #79
zrdb
I'm Under Arrest!!

Send a message via Yahoo to zrdb
Thank gosh there are still very good quality fansubs of Air floating around out in the wilds of the internet-but Air was one series that I was addicted to the 1st time I viewed an episode a few years ago, yes it is very sad as are both versions of Kanon. I think I've rewatched it about 5 times since then-and for me to rewatch a series that many times-it has to be excellent.
Old 2007-05-30, 01:45   Link #80
KittiKat16
Meww =3

Send a message via MSN to KittiKat16
I hope they make a season 2. It shouldn't end this way. So sad... T.T
KittiKat16 is offline   Reply With Quote