AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2005-12-18, 19:49   Link #1
Fafnir
I believe I can fly!

[∀] Just finished Turn A [Possible spoilers]

Awsome series. I can't believe that people wouldn't like it just because of the mechanical designs(which, by the way, are pretty good, Turn A is awsome in action). But you can't help but feel sorry for Sochie, she'd the only one that ended up alone...

Also, the last fight between Turn A and Turn X was very well, done, and ended very well too.

Also, the best action scene in the entire part was the one where Miashei(in a kapool) tore off the WaD's head and started dragging it with her.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this wonderful series?
Fafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 19:56   Link #2
Usso Evin
Angsty little kid

Send a message via AIM to Usso Evin Send a message via MSN to Usso Evin Send a message via Yahoo to Usso Evin
Turn A is my favorite series. Before the whole problem with the forum, I was Loran Cehack. It shows Gundam in a completely different perspective. If only Tomino directed SEED...
Usso Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 20:48   Link #3
Kollunz

turn a was definity a very unique gundam series. i myself enjoyed it very much.
Kollunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-18, 22:42   Link #4
justsomeguy

Turn A was one of the best shows I've ever seen. The show had a perfect balance of focusing on the humans and the robots. The only thing I didn't appreciate was all the nudity, especially at the beginning.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 00:36   Link #5
Four Murasame

Turn A Gundam was a MASTERPIECE Watching Seed I think more and more that Gundam should have ended after Turn A...
Four Murasame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-19, 00:46   Link #6
Rever129

I myself just finished watching Turn-A a couple days ago. Superb series that, sadly, isn't as widely accepted as it should be imo. The last 10 episodes--especially the ending itself--just remind me how utterly lacking and subpar Destiny is in comparison. To me, Turn-A was less about flash and more about the plot, story and the characters; exact opposite of Destiny--maybe even the entire CE--as far as I'm concerned.
Rever129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 04:02   Link #7
HEDGESMFG
Fansubber

Yes, but even without the 'flash' Turn-A was filled with cool, funny, and entertaining moments, especially in the last few episodes.

I suppose my thoughts on the series go without saying, though. I truly will miss Tomino directed Gundam once the Zeta movies are finished. I can't say I'm exactly happy with the changes he made in them, but Tomino certainly hasn't lost his flare for battles when he has a good animation budget to back him up.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 06:14   Link #8
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

I liked Turn A and the Ball with legs (forgot it´s real name) was awesome but I don´t agree that it´s better than SEED. Than Destiny YES but SEED, no.

For me, the main reason is that I don´t like the characters as much in Turn A Gundam than in SEED. Except for Lily Borjarno.

The battles in Turn A is a letdown too I think, they´re not bad but they´re not that great and exciting either.

(To be honest, can´t say that I like what they´ve done with the old cast from SEED either now that I´ve rewatched Destiny.)

But I did like Turn A. It´s not bad at all. Just not one of my absolute favourites.
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 08:05   Link #9
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Ah, another convert. The heavens ring out in a joyous anthem as soon as another Gundam fan puts away his/her prejudice for the mech designs and watches Turn A completely and realises how much superior it is

I must admit that I was one of those fools who thought moustache was stupid, but after watching Turn A, I could only hide my face in shame, because it is the best Gundam series I've ever watched (and I'm not one of those UC old guards...I started with Seed and backtracked to the UC classics.)

I enjoyed every single moment in Turn A, and there was not a single episode which I thought was boring.

I think the battle scenes are much better in Turn A than the CE series (in which you just see MS spam beams everywhere)...

And, the characters. Ah I loved the characters. And for the first time in Gundam history, you get fully developed female characters. You could almost say that Turn A has 3 main characters - Kihel, Dianna, and Loran.

And who can forget the totally badass Turn X? I found it to be much more intimidating than, say, Providence. The moment when Gym powered up Turn X, bzzzt....wow.

Last_hope: It's the Kapool. I love those Kapools. They're so cool and cute, especially when you have the feisty Sochie running around in them thrashing.

Usso_Evin: You should go back to Loran Cehack. XD
W-General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 08:45   Link #10
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General
Last_hope: It's the Kapool. I love those Kapools. They're so cool and cute, especially when you have the feisty Sochie running around in them thrashing.
Ah, thatīs right. I thought they rocked, Iīve always had this thing for The Ball and when a ball with legs, the Kapool, comes around as is piloted by one of the coolest characters Iīve seen in Gundam, Sochie. Well...

I also enjoyed the animation for the characters in Turn A, and the animation overall. Just that I didnīt feel that last bit of excitement when they started shooting at eachother in Turn A.

But that have more to do with the planning of the battles than the animation.
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:24   Link #11
HazardNights

Send a message via AIM to HazardNights Send a message via MSN to HazardNights Send a message via Yahoo to HazardNights
Yes. Another person has found out the greatness that is Turn A Gundam. I can not stress enough that all Gundams fans need to watch this sereis before they say how good any of the others are. Turn A has actually become the standard in which I judge Gundams shows in terms of plot, character development, action and battles.

The person that said it wasn't better then SEED, especially in the battles. There is one major key difference there. You'll notice in Turn A Gundam there is honestly no recycled footage at all. Most certainly not in the major scenes and not even least important scene. All of the animation is difference, especially for the battles. Each battle is unique. SEED you have recycled footage in battles to a great degree. Beams being spammed left and right and things just exploding. Yes it comes down to person taste but objectivly Turn A is the by far the better of the two due to the time taken and its presentation in it's battles.
HazardNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:32   Link #12
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Turn A isn't my favrite cuase ZZ holds that spot, but Turn A is awesome... Mecha were never a problem for me... the seires has a perhaps the most diverse cast, an ddoes a good job at it. the battles are good, btu you coudl tell that the people didn/t really want to fight...well some did.. but i think you get my point.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 22:35   Link #13
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

The best way to describe Turn A's action is, You're actually SURPRISED by it...When TurnX did what it did it floored me by how genious it was...Loren jumping outta the moon-river with the cloak covering his Gundam as he attacked surprised me...Nader equipping the Kapool with a detachable fist surprised me...The little things in this series is what makes it so epic and so able to appreciate...
Old 2005-12-21, 22:39   Link #14
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
I liked the way the Loren and Dianna were handled...they are my favorite couple in all of gundam... i mean ALL! kira and lacus.. eat your heart out...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 05:22   Link #15
Mega-Pimp
It's magic!

Yes, Turn A Gundam is one of my favourites too, when Turn A jumps out of the river with that cloak is just bad ass...
How anyone can even compare it to SEED is beyond me

Harry Ord is my favourite "masked" guy, especially when he lays the smack down on all those rebel punks

It might not be "the" best of all gundam series, but it's very well balanced in character devlopment, story and battles.
Mega-Pimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-22, 09:28   Link #16
HEDGESMFG
Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effect
Yes. Another person has found out the greatness that is Turn A Gundam. I can not stress enough that all Gundams fans need to watch this sereis before they say how good any of the others are. Turn A has actually become the standard in which I judge Gundams shows in terms of plot, character development, action and battles.

The person that said it wasn't better then SEED, especially in the battles. There is one major key difference there. You'll notice in Turn A Gundam there is honestly no recycled footage at all. Most certainly not in the major scenes and not even least important scene. All of the animation is difference, especially for the battles. Each battle is unique. SEED you have recycled footage in battles to a great degree. Beams being spammed left and right and things just exploding. Yes it comes down to person taste but objectivly Turn A is the by far the better of the two due to the time taken and its presentation in it's battles.
There IS recycled footage, but it's extremely minimal. Off the top of my head, the only thing that I can remember is the Turn-A using the same jump sequence a few times. There were probably a few other small things too, but nothing terribly noticable. I find it a shame that Turn-A is only being seen by less than 1/3 of the people who see Destiny, though. SEED is licensed, had a TV airing, and is far better than it's successor, but Destiny is just sloppy and thrown together in comparison.
HEDGESMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 17:17   Link #17
Usso Evin
Angsty little kid

Send a message via AIM to Usso Evin Send a message via MSN to Usso Evin Send a message via Yahoo to Usso Evin
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-General
Usso_Evin: You should go back to Loran Cehack. XD
Nah, I show Turn A love just about everywhere else. Someone's gotta give Victory some respect.
Usso Evin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 12:54   Link #18
sandrum
MS Engineer

Just finished Turn A myself and I have to give it thumbs up. It was so well done, though still not quite my favorite in the Gundam-verse (It's still V-Gundam for me). I'll admit that it took some time to get used to the unorthodox design of the mobile suits, but after that it was great! Virtually every episode was well worth watching - save the ONE flashback episode-.
sandrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 23:54   Link #19
Laik

Ah, just registered again but it's all good.

Anyway, Turn A is excellent. I didn't care much for the Turn A but the characters were handled really well and I'm glad that it wasn't so much the mecha that were stressed but instead the characters and how they interact with each other. Because of that, someone looking for action probably might feel a bit overwhelmed but Turn A is really good despite that. Some people say that it gives a different look to Gundam but I honestly feel that every series shows Gundam in a different light.

Also, I never really try to compare Gundam series to each other or use one of them as a measuring stick if you know what I mean. Turn A, SEED, and Victory are really good in their own ways, comparing them just because they all fall under Gundam isn't easy or really fair now that I think about it.
Laik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 19:07   Link #20
flamingtroll

The only complain I have about Turn A is the relatively little development on Gym. He is after all the arch-villian of the show, I think he derserves more explainations to his motives and reasons he acts the way he does. But then it might be hard to fit that in the story line that is already there.

Otherwise it is indeed very good for a gundam series, although it seems to be very light on the character side. Tomino seems to try very hard not to make the show melo, despite the many places he can do that and he would have done so in older Gundam series. Some of the sadder moments just seemd to be brushed off rather lightly. It is almost exactly the opposite of SEED, where it takes every opportujnity to try to jerk tears out of the audience (although not always sucessful).
flamingtroll is offline   Reply With Quote