AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-10, 22:21   Link #41
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The drama in the first half is extremely effective but undeniably it's played pretty broadly. But there's a subtler message behind it, and that's the fact that the reason Kotoura-san is such an outcast is because of the gap that exists between people's desires and what they say and do. Of course no one likes to be reminded of that gap, and that makes Kotoura a threat.

Enter Manabe. If I would describe him in one word, it would be "transparent". He says what he means and he's not ashamed of his thoughts (even the ecchi ones) and that makes Kotoura no threat to him. She's like Diogenes, searching with a lamp for an honest man for her entire life - and now she's found one. That's a fascinating basis around which to build a romance.

I just really really hope the creators are self-aware of all this and elaborate and emphasize that she's not causing all the bad things in life for others, she's just exposing the underlying problems. I'm not expecting DEEP, but these themes is too good to pass off on.

MC is Id and is basically her savior, I guess.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:09   Link #42
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Kotoura isn’t just an esper, she’s also naïve and honest – perhaps as a direct result of her ability, she initially sees no reason why what people think shouldn’t be what they project to the world. It’s the truth, so why hide it?
It also helps to realize that she was a freaking young kid at the start, and she didn't understand the ramifications of showing off her power, or even the fact that she had a special power. There's nothing special about her naivety and honestly, that's just how normal kids are. It's those typical childish aspects coupled with the ESP that got her into trouble. A mature adult who suddenly got ESP in the middle of her life would likely use it more smartly/secretly.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:10   Link #43
bastek66

I would never expect this will be one of my favourite shows this Winter.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-10, 23:21   Link #44
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Could it be that her mother is voiced by Ami Koshimizu?

Or is it just her pissed face, while walking from doctor to doctor and her behavior that remind me of a certain Umineko character oO

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 00:27   Link #45
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
I saw some positive reactions,decided to go in blind and I can't remember the last time I was such a "I liked this much more than I thought I would" reaction.

Not so much for the first half,even if it did intrigue me, the drama was a bit overboard for me but I guess they wanted to drive the point home.
No what really sealed it for me was when the male lead was introduced,every interaction between the two is golden and I look forward to more of that in the coming episodes.

Oh and great performance by both our leads , Hisako Kanemoto might get some slack over the kokoro connect scandal but the girl is a really fine VA.
Old 2013-01-11, 00:57   Link #46
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Holy crap! The first 10 minutes of this show was bleak, depressing, sad, and cold. I liked it...

It immediately caught my attention and I was hooked, but then it started...turning into a lighter hearted show. I'm quite surprised that the people of this anime made such a unorthodox move to attract attention to the show. I was pretty damn sure the main heroine was going to commit suicide or something near the end.
Old 2013-01-11, 01:52   Link #47
novalysis

While those who claim that the drama was quite tad bit over-exaggerated may indeed have a point, at the same time , the first episode of Kotoura-San deconstructs the concept of Mind-reading powerfully, and thought-provokingly, though not as deep as it could be.

However, I am quite surprised that Kotoura was unable to master the art of keeping silent, until I realized that she has not been really very socially exposed, and the concept of hiding your thoughts is quite alien to her. Seeing her rather undiplomatic responses (and there were many ways to make her point in a less socially antagonistic way) was to me, demonstration of her clumsy attempt to utilize an alien concept.

Secondly, when viewed from the light that she is deliberately pushing people away , those actions between 8 -12 minutes make more sense. It's not that she is unaware of the effects of exposing the thoughts of others, it's just that since she never has any Social Engagement of people her age that when well, she thinks she will definitely push people away even if she tries not to, so screw it.

What the main male MC is proposing is a shift away from that perspective. When the Male MC advises her not to be so blunt of what she sees in others, he is arguing that self-control is worth it. On top of that, if other's reject you over such reasons, then they aren't human beings really worth knowing anyway. Furthermore, he offers to be the first person to show that there are indeed humans who will sincerely still be comfortable with you.

Actually, I suspect it's very much a case of maturity levels. The Manabe a few years ago may not have that kind of maturity to deal with Kotorau. Whatever his outward foppishness, actually, Manabe impresses me.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 02:11   Link #48
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Could it be that her mother is voiced by Ami Koshimizu?
her seiyuu is Inoue Kikuko

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 02:19   Link #49
Warm Mist

Quote:
the reason Kotoura-san is such an outcast is because of the gap that exists between people's desires and what they say and do. Of course no one likes to be reminded of that gap, and that makes Kotoura a threat.
This is kind of the meat of the show, and it is especially interesting considering the japanese society, with all that honne and tatemae stuff emphasizing this kind of two-faced mindset.
Whether it is through comedy, romance, or just plain melodrama, the only thing I actually want out of the series is for this theme to be explored, and hopefully for a side to be taken regarding it.

Of course, if the characters and comedy are also charming, it's welcome. I like the male lead so far, but if he's not going to be more layered he will get old fast.
Warm Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 02:33   Link #50
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

wow i dont know about this one, if it keeps changing from extreme drama to comedy throughout the whole season im really not gonna like it.
Old 2013-01-11, 02:45   Link #51
TimeSkip

Instead of keeping telling everyone about her mind reading, it'll make a lot more sense if she's learned to keep quiet about it.
TimeSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 04:32   Link #52
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecd View Post
her seiyuu is Inoue Kikuko
Even the gods won't smile on you.

Yours is a hard lot.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 05:07   Link #53
DemonOfWrath

I... I'd like to order 11 more episodes of soul crushing despair, please. Am I allowed to do that? Pleeeease?

I know that there's a sizable chance this'll turn into a generic comedy (I so hope it retains at least some of the grief) but as a standalone episode that was fantastic and it could have completely ended there and it'd be an instant favourite. It's such a shame that angle of such powers isn't explored more often, I think I've only ever found one thing that has properly done it and it wasn't as good as this.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 05:55   Link #54
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Why do I have the feeling that her mother will come back at some point and cause a lot of drama?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 06:35   Link #55
Lukeman1884

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Why do I have the feeling that her mother will come back at some point and cause a lot of drama?
Because she's in the OP? Would be kinda strange including her if all she does is appear in a single flashback.

Anyways, quite an interesting concept, and a fairly enjoyable watch, even if the drama was a bit too over-exaggerated for my tastes. Animation quality's a bit lacking as well. From the preview, it looks like there IS probably going to be some drama mixed in with the comedy, here's just hoping they can blend the two together without it feeling like you're watching two separate animes cut-and-pasted together.

Also, male MC deserves a restraining order. Like in the P.E scene. "You're not getting away". And then when he was "stretching" her. And how he "happened" to bump in to her when she was shopping.
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 07:56   Link #56
Marina2

Ep.1

Watched the first ep. to check out about what everyone have been saying about this show, the first half is as dark as I heard. The whole plot about "the bad side of mind reading ability" is not so original , but the show presents it very well and interesting.

The transition from "dark" to "light" is also well done. That OP is used as the wall to divide the first half and the second half.

I don't know I should expect good drama and story from this or not considering its orginal form is 4-koma but the comedy side is okey for me.

Last edited by Marina2; 2013-01-11 at 11:15. Reason: Added/Edited comment
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 08:13   Link #57
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

ep.1

i’m just stun in all ways like pull biggest curve ball ever on it really no one saw this coming in any form til we just seen it oh my why this happen?!

meet Haruka Kotoura who one time life for her was good til everything went to Break the Cutie in all worst ways.

because she can read minds cause she lost everything from being bullied in school to even own parents don’t want her anymore.

cause of suffer that Haruka carryover til now & then all change when she meet Manabe who bit perv & yet wow amaze at Haruka cause she save him from truck.

yet after learning bit of Haruka’s past Manabe going side with her to be her friend.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 09:18   Link #58
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

That was unexpected good , looks like a few people are watching it here lol

Seriously who's at fault ? Those parents were shitty well at first not the mother , the father acted like your usual "Japanese father" going late home & cheat , don't care about kid ,mother's problem etc.... Then the mother couldn't take it all so she was broken.

Anyway the ending preview killed me "There are tons of people on the other side of the TV thinking dirty thoughts"
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 11:00   Link #59
CJ_Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Mist View Post
This is kind of the meat of the show, and it is especially interesting considering the japanese society, with all that honne and tatemae stuff emphasizing this kind of two-faced mindset.
Oh god, then that makes those first ten minutes even worse! That shit is serious out in Japan, then someone comes along and shatters that Tatemae stuff that the whole society is built on with everyone she meets?! damn, I'm shocked she didn't get beat up behind the school or something.

anyway, yes, I am now officially hooked! I went into this not knowing what it was about or even looking at the art first, and fuuuuuuuck that was an amazing episode. . .

I really thought it was going to be some super serious dark story! then she met tumbleweed guy and the contrast (not to mention the breaking color palette) totally surprised me.

I'm in love with this show!

THAT's how a first episode should be! It's gotta hook you in, Has to state what the story is about, and has to let the viewers know what is going on. . .I've seen so many shows (i.e. k) that try to be as vague as possible, with nothing really happening, no emotion tied to any thing, no REAL conflict, no reason for the viewers to care about the characters etc. . .

The writers/directors of this show got me hooked I haven't felt like this about a first episode since. . .Steins Gate maybe? probably even before that. . . .

damn, I cant think of a first episode that had this much of an impact. . .maybe Cowboy bebop, cause that show was just awesome from start to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
That was unexpected good , looks like a few people are watching it here lol

Seriously who's at fault ? Those parents were shitty well at first not the mother , the father acted like your usual "Japanese father" going late home & cheat , don't care about kid ,mother's problem etc.... Then the mother couldn't take it all so she was broken.

Anyway the ending preview killed me "There are tons of people on the other side of the TV thinking dirty thoughts"
Well. . . . If you knew anything about the shit Japanese men have to go through at their work/companies, You'd probably realize that he was a lot less at fault than you think. Being a Salaryman in Japan is like entering the 7th circle of hell for the rest of you life. . .unless you get really lucky and either a)work for a company that makes you travel a lot to many western branches, b)somehow get lucky and work for a company with a culture like google (VERY RARE. . . .I've met only TWO guys in that kinda of company) or C)become some famous DJ (NOT pop musician or T.V/Movie/CM star that's like the 6th-1st circle of hell in Japan) D)A western male foreigner who really doesn't give a shit and makes his own way, WHILE getting his work done, and showing proof of it, and having the balls to protect himself legally (and let his boss know all this) from any illegal firings for not "Staying untill the boss leaves" or not "going drinking every night with coworkers after work" etc etc etc. . .which is the rarest type of all. . .

Really, all the mother had to do was to sit her ass down wit her her DAUGHTER and figure her power out, and THEN telling her daughter to keep quiet about that and/or spend a lot of time working with her about it. Even WITH the point of view of the viewers, I m pretty sure if she just sat down with her daughter, the mother would figure out what was going on. . .

Putting myself in the father's shoes, if I was working in some soul numbing job from 8am-9:30-10:00pm(usually doing this 6 days a week) while my wife couldn't figure this shit out, (or really not even try) I'd leave/find another woman too!

Maybe I'm just old fashioned but I don't see how the father is supposed to do all this AND work ungodly hours at his job (which is as "Typical Japanese father" as you can get)

Combine this with the social expectation that women are typically housewives when they have their child (there are some exceptions of course) and that is looked at (and respected/expected) as a full-time job just as the Father's job is, then you'd realize that the Mother really dropped the ball on that. . . it wouldn't take that long to figure her daughter out, and explain how she needs to shut her mouth. . .hell even try to have her control her mind reading.

so yeah. . . the mother is at fault here. . .unless you wanted the father to get fired and then not pay rent and have their whole family to be homeless. . .then go ahead and blame the father, but as far as I'm concerned in his situation, he did his job.

Last edited by CJ_Walker; 2013-01-11 at 11:22.
CJ_Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 11:32   Link #60
bastek66

Best scene
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4-koma, drama, romantic comedy, school life, seinen, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy