AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-01-18, 16:43   Link #1
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Worst Dubs Ever?

Hehe I wanted to know what you guys thought was the crappiest english dub ever made. Personally I feel that it was either the Love Hina dubs or the Kenshin dub (mainly because kenshin sounded younger than yahiko.). What do you guys think and why? Love hina's dubs sucked because of the crappy southern accents.. I mean come on, this anime was set in JAPAN not the US and Kitsune's voice was absolutly terrible... Anyway what do you think was the worst dub ever created? Yes, I know it's hard because there are a lot of bad dubs, but i'm sure there is one out there that has to be the worst.
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 17:35   Link #2
Lambda

If you include the editing which sometimes gets into the dubbing process, the two outstandingly obvious candidates are Cardcaptors and Warriors of the Wind.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 18:03   Link #3
Ragh of Doom
Raistlin Majere

Send a message via AIM to Ragh of Doom Send a message via MSN to Ragh of Doom
I wasn't particularly fond of Shinji's dub in Neon Genesis Evangelion. After the first episode I had a splitting headache... never watched the dubbed again.
Ragh of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 18:04   Link #4
ShinDragon

Knight of Zodiac's dubbing is pretty bad, too.....
but "Saint Seiya" on the other hand, the voices actually fit the characters.
ShinDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 18:30   Link #5
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

I hated the Record of Lodoss War dubs
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 01:38   Link #6
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
If you include the editing which sometimes gets into the dubbing process, the two outstandingly obvious candidates are Cardcaptors and Warriors of the Wind.
OMG, Cardcaptors gets my vote as well. Even without the editing out of all kinds of good character stuff, sweet lovely Tomoyo was turned magically into some kind of dreadful Valley Girl and Kero-chan into Mickey Rat. I can't remember what they did to the rest of the characters but it hardly matters. It didn't even seem like a CLAMP anime...
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 02:57   Link #7
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Most of the time, if everyone else in the room wants to watch the dub of something, it doesn't bother me, but the one thing I put my foot down on is The Vision of Escaflowne. I've never heard a worse dub, and it's strange, as I tend to enjoy lots of the other dubs produced by the same studio, but this was apparantly the exception. I really think it could have been much better (it certainly deserved it, for such a great show). Although, I think they would have been hard-pressed to find someone that could have pulled off Dilandau as well in English as the Japanese voice actor did. He was one crazy guy... umm... girl... umm... whatever....
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 04:49   Link #8
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Cardcaptors....

Yeah, that one slipped my mind. The dub for it was terrible... I cant believe how they destroyed such a good anime. With the editing and all of that added in, it's definatly a candidate for the worst dub ever... I hate when stuff is edited out. Most of these other dubs i havnt seen before. Except escaflowne, and it was truly terrible. I have the dvd's so I just watch the subbed. But yes, the dubs for Escaflowne were also bad...
Old 2004-01-19, 04:58   Link #9
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Most hated dub I came across was the Love Hina one. It was terrible, some of the voices didn't match at all, like the voice seiyuu for Konno Mitsune aka Kitsune she had an american southern accent that was so annoying. ugh just thinking about it brings back nightmares.
Old 2004-01-19, 05:02   Link #10
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Fruits Basket- it actually made Momoji annoying! and Yuki sounded like a man..it was just weird

Also KareKano if youve ever switched audio out of boredom..where do they find all these ugly sounding people?
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 05:24   Link #11
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
Fruits Basket- it actually made Momoji annoying! and Yuki sounded like a man..it was just weird
uh... isn't Yuki a man?
Old 2004-01-19, 05:36   Link #12
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
uh... isn't Yuki a man?
Yeah, but he's bishie! He isnt supposed to be manly or anything. That's because he's bishounen. I never got to see the FB dubs though... I intend to buy the FB dvd's and the LH dvd's sometime... well the rest of the LH dvds even though they were slightly edited for content and the dubs suck... the subs are still good i guess.
Old 2004-01-19, 07:25   Link #13
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySoul
Yeah, but he's bishie! He isnt supposed to be manly or anything. That's because he's bishounen. I never got to see the FB dubs though... I intend to buy the FB dvd's and the LH dvd's sometime... well the rest of the LH dvds even though they were slightly edited for content and the dubs suck... the subs are still good i guess.
True, but maybe your just used to the Japanese voices. You know the voice seiyuu of Yuki was a woman. I figure they would use a man instead of a woman for the voice seiyuu for the english dub.

Also if your gonna get the LH DVD's watch it with Japanese dialogue and english subtitles, just make believe the english dubs nerver existed cuz it will ruined this wonderful anime series. Trust me it did for me.
Old 2004-01-19, 11:56   Link #14
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Quote:
True, but maybe your just used to the Japanese voices. You know the voice seiyuu of Yuki was a woman. I figure they would use a man instead of a woman for the voice seiyuu for the english dub.

Also if your gonna get the LH DVD's watch it with Japanese dialogue and english subtitles, just make believe the english dubs nerver existed cuz it will ruined this wonderful anime series. Trust me it did for me.
Ah, I didnt know that it was a female voice actor for Yuki in the original FB. That's probably what it is, I'm not sure it'd matter too much as long as he doesnt sound all manly he needs to sound a little girly because he's bishie and such. I have one of the LH dvds and that's pretty much what I do. I watched the dub once... and due to it's terribleness I just try to forget the dub exists. That's good advice though ^_^
Old 2004-01-19, 20:38   Link #15
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

It doesn't have to be English right?

If so, there's a Swedish (I think) dub dome for Digimon.

Think flat, bored tone of voice (even the AAAHH!! HEEELPP!! parts) and put that throughout the whole show for all the characters.

I'm not sure if that's a joke or not, but since Sweden doesn't seem to be big on anime like other countries are, I'd say yeah.
Old 2004-01-19, 20:43   Link #16
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
uh... isn't Yuki a man?
well, yeah.. but using a woman for his japanese voice actor made him seem sensitive and fragile and..aww but give him a manly voice and he just comes off as a jerk
Tzurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 21:05   Link #17
cindialai
Tsukimori

Send a message via MSN to cindialai
Yu Yu Hakusho Dub

No one can beat this in crappiest dub.. no feeling in whatever they say and every character sound like they are seniors..
Old 2004-01-19, 22:21   Link #18
Tabiree
FUNimation's Gen Fukunaga

I geuss I'm not too picky about my dubs. I watch all my anime dubbed if I can, however..

In the feild of dubs, you have professionally done dubs like most of you have put forward. the Yu Yu dub isn't too bad from what I've heard, and Love Hina's dub was produced by production IG, so blame them. Fruit's Basket well, if I could care enough about it, then I'd say something.

Then, you have "professional hong kong/crapjob european" dubs, like for example, TRANSFORMERS: THE HEADMASTERS. Rife with shitty dull voices and lines such as "MEANWHILE BACK ON CYBERTRON DANNY AND WHEELY-" and "I AM THE NINJA CONSULTANT FOR THE DECEPTICONS".

And all of it sounds much worse than any dub that has been put up here.

PS for Kenshin I found the Japanese actor/actress for kenshin sounded a LOT yunger than Yahiko. Oh well, geuss they just stuck to character.
Tabiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 01:15   Link #19
Seifer_us
A Hunter of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabiree
In the feild of dubs, you have professionally done dubs like most of you have put forward. the Yu Yu dub isn't too bad from what I've heard, and Love Hina's dub was produced by production IG, so blame them.
Well, I blame Wendee Lee for that one, since she directed the dub. For those that don't know her, she was the English voice actor for Faye in Cowboy Bebop. After that she's been cast as the female lead in just about every dub from Bandai since then...

I hate overcasting... they're doing the same thing to Crispin Freeman now ever since he played Alucard in Hellsing. It was funny, because this previous weekend I went to the first AX Tokyo (a convention that has existed for a while in the states) and he was there, and my reaction was kind of like, "Why are the Japanese going to care?"

Anyway, back on topic... The main reason Love Hina's dub suffers is because of the choice to use a southern accent for Kitsune and the fact that Wendee Lee plays HALF THE FREAKIN' CAST, but I did like Keitaro's voice actor at least. He was the perfect nerd...

Wow, I haven't watched a dub in almost a year... Honestly, the dub I'm the most curious to hear when I return to the states is Azumanga. I hope ADV has a decent cast. (Dear god, don't let them make Osaka into a hick...)
Seifer_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-20, 02:30   Link #20
Deralti

Send a message via AIM to Deralti
The dubs for LH made me hate the series even more, its inhuman.... inhuman...INHUMAN I SAY!
Deralti is offline   Reply With Quote