AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2014-10-01, 21:55   Link #181
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Wow finally things are happening on that front? Lol assault though.

Spoiler:
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 23:16   Link #182
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I'm sorry, I don't really have the time to go into it.
Is it your reply the poster above or..is it Chihaya's reply to Taichi?
Taichi's all 100 cards turns black/dark to him already explains his reason for playing karuta. His eagerness to play againist Arata seems vain,
Mangafox forum has bunches girly talk about a sinking ship. It lacks the talk about how to manage a club with the declinging membership. At least, the story of a sinking ship is more appealing to readers.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 23:41   Link #183
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
Taichi's all 100 cards turns black/dark to him already explains his reason for playing karuta. His eagerness to play againist Arata seems vain,
Mangafox forum has bunches girly talk about a sinking ship. It lacks the talk about how to manage a club with the declinging membership. At least, the story of a sinking ship is more appealing to readers.

They do tend to favour the bishies...
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-01, 23:57   Link #184
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
That was my reply to the poster above me.

Alright, I'll be a bit more specific: look for posts by Biribiri_chan on the MF forums. I think she's got the most balanced and nuanced view of the chapter thus far. Ignore the shippers if you can. Unless that's what you're interested in.

Edit: Rin_'s comments are also really good.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2014-10-02 at 17:44.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-07, 17:46   Link #185
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

138:

Welp. After that bombshell I totally expect that this will be ignored for months on end to frustrate us readers as much as possible .

Also this chapter was extremely painful to read. ;_;

Last edited by Reckoner; 2014-11-07 at 18:17.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 15:28   Link #186
Miraluka
Banned

Two confirmed facts:

1. Being Taichi is suffering.

But, it's time to move on, leave the kids playing games. Even sensei had to work despite loving playing Karuta. Props to him for not lashing out at her or something, he just steps asides and leaves.

2. Chihaya a shit.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2014-11-08 at 15:40.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-08, 17:06   Link #187
Mitcher
Ultimate Ojou

Hey, now it seems like Suetsugu-sensei is in love of an afflicted Taichi.
Mitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-09, 09:49   Link #188
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I hope he can get his life back on track.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 13:16   Link #189
Ulin

Noone still reading this?

Spoiler for ch169:
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 14:02   Link #190
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Eh, I don't really care about Tsukue.

I want to see where they go from here.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 03:22   Link #191
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
Noone still reading this?
Sounds like a rhetorical question but ... 192,358 people bought a copy of the latest volume (32) within the first five days of its release, so I'd say quite a few people are still reading.

They're not talking about it here though...
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-24, 03:54   Link #192
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso Sciolto View Post
Sounds like a rhetorical question but ... 192,358 people bought a copy of the latest volume (32) within the first five days of its release, so I'd say quite a few people are still reading.

They're not talking about it here though...
I know I meant here, refering as the lack of comments, specially as the story has been quite interesting in the latests issues (at least for me)
Old 2016-07-24, 09:32   Link #193
SuitUp
ˇGracias Totales!

I for one I'm just waiting for it to end, so they adapt it in a 3rd anime series
Old 2016-07-24, 09:59   Link #194
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
I for one I'm just waiting for it to end, so they adapt it in a 3rd anime series
I don't think we are even near the end.... Chihaya is still not close to the Queen title, and we will probably face a fierce battle between Arata and Taichi for the Meijin... maybe for the right to chalenge him or even with one of them already in the throne.

And don't forget the rest of the cast, that once HS is over will have to find time to meet or even to keep playing...
Old 2016-07-24, 16:09   Link #195
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
There's already enough chapters for a third (two cours) series, and in 5 months or so we'll have enough chapters for a fourth series. The pessimist in me thinks we won't ever get a third season if it doesn't get announced this year.

Quote:
I don't think we are even near the end.... Chihaya is still not close to the Queen title
Nope, Chihaya is very close to the Queen title it will happen this school year. The first chapter already revealed that Chihaya will be playing the Queen match in her third high school year and she's just lost to Shinobu and in sports manga/anime tropes that means she'll most likely win the rematch.
Old 2016-07-25, 12:23   Link #196
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Nope, Chihaya is very close to the Queen title it will happen this school year. The first chapter already revealed that Chihaya will be playing the Queen match in her third high school year and she's just lost to Shinobu and in sports manga/anime tropes that means she'll most likely win the rematch.
Ups, I totally forgot about it!! Then maybe we are getting to the climax (although there are so many plots waiting to be explored... and I'm almost as interested in the Arata-Taichi match for the Meijin title as I am in the Queen's one (specially since we can suposse that Chihaya will win, specially after losing to Sinobu this time again)
Old 2017-02-08, 01:19   Link #197
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Hastily posted links. Kodansha USA Lists Digital Releases for Chihayafuru, Tokyo Tarareba Girls, A Springtime With Ninjas Manga ... but with very little additional detail. Scheduled for release from February 14, 2017.

Direct link for the page with the first verse of volume one available online from this new electronic edition in English (Ages: 13+):
http://kodanshacomics.com/series/chihayafuru/

First impressions based on chapter one.
No poetic annotations on the pages themselves* - maybe appendix at the end of the volume?
The English translation is new, not the same as in the bilingual edition (Two volumes released in 2011 & 2012, together containing the first 17 chapters, corresponding with the first three Japanese volumes.)
Vol. 1 listed as 187 pages. That's the same number as the Japanese first volume, counting the pages with "character designs", the 4-panel omake and the "Welcome to the World of Competitive Karuta" text.

* [Edit: Too hasty in previous remark, Some -but not all- poems are identified on the page and their translations are the same as Stuart Varnam Atkin's translations included in the back of the two bi-lingual editions.]

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-05-14 at 07:03.
Old 2017-02-09, 06:18   Link #198
Ulin

I really hope they do a printed edition too... in that case I'll be inmediately on board
Old 2017-02-12, 02:42   Link #199
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
I really hope they do a printed edition too... in that case I'll be inmediately on board
I hope so too and although I will try to purchase this first digital volume regardless I wish they'd announce soon if they already have plans for a print edition in English as well. The reactions so far indicate that quite a few people still prefer physical copies but perhaps this makes more sense to Kodansha, at the moment, based on distribution and print costs?

If they publish a print edition at some point I hope they follow the Japanese originals, which I've been told are also echoed in the way the French print edition is published as well. I hope they follow that pattern for the new English version too because of the cover designs for each volume and other elements such a flap texts. Some details from which appear to have been omitted for this digital edition - based on the preview for chapter one.

The bi-lingual print edition essentially erased some of that detail by bundling parts from more than one volume - especially the second and third volumes which ended at the end of the second bi-ligual book and thus eradicated one cover and erased the
Spoiler:

Side note: The illustration by Yuki Suetsugu was nice at the end of episode 17 of
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Hospitalisation / release from... Feb. 2017.:
Hopefully the issues are behind her - she returned in March, like a lion. As it turns out Suetsugu-sensei was only working one chapter ahead. The panels from this work-in-progress-photo, linked above, have now appeared, looking better, on the second page of chapter 179, in Be・Love number 7, released today. A chapter which, like the latest tankobon (34), appeared on the scheduled date and both were well worth the wait.
Hope she can sustain this, craving more than chocolate.
Spoiler:
Spoiler for Ch. 176 & 178:

Edit April 15, 2017 (Updated April 19):
In Chapter 180
Spoiler for Poetry and Japanese history related to chapters 149 and 180, primarily.:

Update May 1, 2017:
There is no new Chihayafuru chapter in the most recently released magazine issue - Be Love 10 - which does have a full colour introduction for the third live action film, "Chihayafuru: Musubi", on its inside "end page". Showing Suzu Hirose and the four new cast members. The regular preview page for the next issue also has an image of Chihaya this time - to go with an announcement for the continuation of the manga. In short, the next chapter, 181, is scheduled to appear in Be Love 11, to be released around May 15, 2017...

The Be Love website has been updated. Behind spoiler tags below is the preview image as currently hosted there - as also printed in Be Love 10. Chihaya Ayase is pictured as she appeared in chapter 180. As she appeared during the karuta qualification match with Setsuna Hayami (速水節奈).

In this preview we're shown the moment when the card for the "tago no ura" poem (04) starts to levitate, as it lifts off the tatami, in Chihaya's mind. The visualisation of a transformative moment for Chihaya as she continues her match with Hayami. Hayami who is a life-long student of calligraphy, whose love for the set originally created by Ogata Kōrin connected her with competitive karuta. Someone whose karuta further developed under the guidance of, former queen, one time women's karuta title holder, Yumi Yamamoto (山本由美). The opponent who stopped Chihaya's qualifying progress in a previous year's cycle, but whose own transformation during that match facilitated Chihaya's mental progress in the process of defeating herself - as she was defeated by Yamamoto. Both Hayami and Yamamoto are members of Suihoku-kai (翠北会), a Tokyo based karuta association/society.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-04-30 at 23:17.
Old 2017-05-13, 22:39   Link #200
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Tonight, at midnight, Be Love 11, for 2017, will be released, containing chapter 181, song one hundred and eighty one.

The day after that, Kodansha Comics (USA) will release the new English translation of Volume Two in their digital edition of the manga series. Unfortunately, it looks like the same Geo-blocking will be in place which restricted access to Volume One as well. No news on opening the borders or on a print edition of the English translation.

In 2015, the cover design of the second tankōbon became the basis for "Chihayafuru Kami no Ku's" promotional materials. A hand holding the playing card for the poem printed in volume one, was added. Suzu Hirose became the face of Chihaya in the image created for the first film adaptation for the series. The substitution of flowers framing the actress' face was another change made from the original artwork. For the eText of the manga, Kodansha has returned to the original image and thereby preserved the associations of this specific flower. Through Hanakotoba, the language of flowers, this enigmatic cover flower is telling part of the Chihayafuru story. A flower getting a message across.

Based on the preview of Volume One, I'm assuming no poem will be shown in the beginning of the second eBook either.
Spoiler for Cover Poems:

One day after that, the print edition of "Tome 20" will be released in Pika Edition's ongoing French language run of the series.
Spoiler for content:

The third, and final live action movie, "Chihayafuru -Musubi-" is currently being filmed. Recruitment for volunteer extras continues, for on location shooting throughout May and June 2017. Looks like they're in Ashikaga today.
http://movies.robot.co.jp/extra/chihayafuru/

Lots of wonderful developments. It's a good time to be a Chihayafuru fan, I think.

Update, May 15:
The preview page is up for Be Love 12. Although there is no “Chihayafuru” related illustration, the series is listed in the line-up for that issue, meaning chapter 182 will be in print by June 1, 2017.
Spoiler for Previews page for Be Love 12:
(“Chihayafuru” will be appearing alongside the second part of a 「ギャルボーイ!」 (“Gal Boy!”) revival special by Mariko Nakamura.)

The title page for “Chihayafuru” chapter 181 was uploaded to Be Love’s Twitter feed. The image shows Chihaya, in a very elaborately decorated, flowery kimono. So much going on there, with the "river", the cranes and the Heian era carriage. She is tying tasuki and the film title is tied in through her hair ornaments. The page also reveals the scheduled August 10, 2017 release of the next tankōbon in the series, Volume 35.
Spoiler for Chapter 181 title page image:
Update June 15, 2017. The story continues as scheduled. A string of consecutive chapters. Chihaya's image -full of symbolism- partially reappears on the preview page for Be Love 14. I found the chapters in between very interesting.
Spoiler:
June 30, 2017 -Update and a bit of slightly older news. Today Chapter 184 came out in Be Love 14. Haven't read it yet. Based on the sample pages released via Be Love’s Twitter feed I can’t help but wonder again what role in the story - and what potential influence on Chihaya- Suetsugu-sensei has in mind for
Spoiler for character’s name:
In the upcoming karuta match he's facing quite a formidable opponent.

The following is probably going to a put a dent in this thread's commentary traffic but it looks like we’re headed for a hiatus. As posted on Be Love’s website, the preview for Be Love 15 does not show Chihayafuru in the line-up for that issue, to be released July 15, 2017:
Spoiler:

On June 13, 2017 Kodansha Comics released volume three in English in their Digital Edition of the series licensed for the market in the USA.

According to the website for volunteer extra recruitment, all filming on the Chihayafuru Musubi sets came to an end on June 30, 2017. Thanks to all the thousands of on set and behind the scenes participants. Looking forward to your finished film.

July 11, 2017. From sketches to finished images in six steps to illustrate how bonus artwork was created to be used in conjunction with a collaboration advertisement campaign. Only the first image without any brand names, the rest of the "six-step sets" of "work in progress" drawings was uploaded to Suetsugu's Twitter Feed earlier today.
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

July 15, 2017. Definitive confirmation, no new chapter released today, only Chihayafuru week in Awara related content on the back cover of the magazine.

The preview pages for Be Love No. 16 show Chihayafuru in the line-up for that issue, scheduled to be released on August 1, 2017.
Spoiler:

Perhaps also a good moment to edit and remark on other available translations. Please expand if you have additional info or corrections. Of the available translations, I'm aware of, the Korean edition, published by Haksan Culture Company appears to be the furthest along, with thirty-one volumes in print, as of May 26, 2017. Printed as: 치하야후루 31권.
Thirty volumes have been released in Chinese by the Taiwanese company Tong Li Publishing, the latest of which was released on June 15, 2017. Printed as: 花牌情緣 30.
"Chihayafuru Tome 21" will be released in French by Pika Édition on August 23, 2017.

It is my understanding that these are the only print editions currently still being released, besides Japanese serialisation of individual chapters in Be Love magazine - with Japanese print editions of collected volumes appearing approximately twice a year.
The Japanese language magazine and tankōbon can also be purchased in "eBook" formats from various online bookstores.

Anyone know of other language editions or different versions of Chihayafuru being published at the moment?

Update, July 23, 2017.
One week before the release of the next chapter, Suetsugu-sensei wrote some Twitter observations about the national high school karuta championships - because this year's finals of the competition took place this weekend. Looking towards the future, with some trepidations about changes, while reminiscing about tournaments of the recent past she attended, observed and incorporated into her manga series. A series with its own profound impact on such events. The core of the series for such a long time. Bracketed in a single image:
Images

As her previous messages indicated, Saturday's live coverage of the team competition of the 39th tournament was hosted on niconico online. (Still available as "time shift".)

T-shirts -blue or red- for sale at Omi Jingu for competitors participating in the events -with Chihaya from a panel of the manga printed on the back and a poem card printed on the front:
Images

Also -edited- to include these links, for reference and search tools, the website of "Shigureden", the hall of Ogura Hyakunin Isshu, a museum in Kyōtō for the One Hundred Poems by One Hundred Poets. In Japanese and partially translated into English. Not sure if this museum site had been mentioned here before but the Japanese version has search functions which enable searching for poems by clicking the hiragana keyboard for the first character of the "first verse" 「上の句 」or the first character of the "second verse" 「下の句」or by typing words or text portions into the search field.

Last edited by Verso Sciolto; 2017-07-22 at 21:44.

Tags
josei, karuta