AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-06-04, 18:10   Link #3681
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
From what I understand, and I could be wrong on this, radicals mostly help to give kanji their meanings. The radical that I know the best is the one for water.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 00:39   Link #3682
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I'm about to visit Japan again soon, except the first stop is Osaka. I'm wondering if there are differences since my Japanese (decent though) is not Osaka-ben for obvious reasons.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-30, 21:06   Link #3683
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

So, I haven't been in this thread in a while. Usual excuses: work, children, etc. but I had a question about something I figured someone might have some experience with.

I'm attempting to teach myself Classical Japanese, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice / recommendations for study resources.

So far, my main comments are:

1. Conjugation/spelling is so much more regular, and irregularities in the modern language begin to make more sense (aogu, "to fan", vs. ōgi, "a fan", for instance). But there are so many conjugations to memorize....

2. Kakari-musubi is annoying to remember, and baffling to encounter, until you get used to it. Crops up surprisingly often in Meiji-era songs, though.

3. Verbs in their attributive form (rentaikei) can be used without a noun after to make a verbal noun of sorts (like "[verb] + koto" in the modern language). That's kinda cool.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:06   Link #3684
walkofshane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
I'm about to visit Japan again soon, except the first stop is Osaka. I'm wondering if there are differences since my Japanese (decent though) is not Osaka-ben for obvious reasons.
If I may
You should not have any problems with your Japanese since you said it is decent enough. You will be able to get by properly on your standard Nihongo.
You will rarely encounter people speaking to you in Kansai-ben unless you happen to meet an elderly person. Happened to me once. An old lady smiled at me in the street and she started chatting away and pointing at my school. All I could manage was "hai..." ^_^;;
Enjoy your trip!
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:27   Link #3685
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Well, unless you want to have a deep philosophical or political conversation, elementary school japanese are more then enough, and if you stay more than a couple of months, your language skills will improve dramatically beyond that level very quickly, anyway
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-01, 08:40   Link #3686
walkofshane

yeah, nothing better than being surrounded by Japanese 24/7. Everything you hear is Japanese, everything you see in Japanese (well, not exactly but...).
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 15:46   Link #3687
paulo.no.1

日本語を勉強しているのから、誰かいい?教えてください!(I'm studying Japanese, so who's good? Please teach me more!)
paulo.no.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-03, 23:37   Link #3688
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo.no.1 View Post
日本語を勉強しているのから、誰かいい?教えてください!(I'm studying Japanese, so who's good? Please teach me more!)
先生として教えるのはちょっとアレなんだけど、何か質問あれば答えてみるよ。
(None too keen on doing actual teaching, but if you have a question, I'll try and answer.)
Old 2013-07-05, 10:07   Link #3689
hoshino_crimsonwings

My biggest problem is Keigo, even after N1, it's so rarely used in media that I can't really pick it up again. (I live in Hong Kong) Anyone have a good guide?
Old 2013-07-06, 10:08   Link #3690
SummeryDreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomguy View Post
先生として教えるのはちょっとアレなんだけど、何か質問あれば答えてみるよ。
(none too keen on doing actual teaching, but if you have a question, i'll try and answer.)
私も、日本語が一番好きから、でもちょっと難しいでしょう。。だから、助けてください。。。それより、あな たは日本人ですか?そして、お名前をおしえてもらえますか。お願いします!!
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-07, 17:51   Link #3691
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummeryDreams View Post
私も、日本語が一番好きから、でもちょっと難しいでしょう。。だから、助けてください。。。それより、あな たは日本人ですか?そして、お名前をおしえてもらえますか。お願いします!!
[rough translation by RandomGuy:] "Since I too like the Japanese language the best, but it must be a bit difficult. So, please save me... Or rather, are you Japanese? Then, could you tell me your name? Please!"
It's really not polite to just type in Japanese when not everyone who's on the thread can read it. Plus you need more practice.

Like I said before, I can help you, but I'm not going to be your teacher. I'm not Japanese (though my wife and children are), and I'm not a native speaker, but I am pretty fluent (passed JLPT Level 1 by a comfortable margin) and have a good grasp of the grammatical concepts.

So, what is it you want to know?
Old 2013-07-07, 19:05   Link #3692
Pink Cow
This is my title.

I have a few questions regarding Japanese. It's more on how to say some sentence starters like...

Anyway,
By the way,
Well,
etc..

And how to say "maybe" or "probably".

教えてください~

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Pink Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 00:05   Link #3693
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
I'm not sure about Anyway or By the Way, but I suspect that Anyway and Well can both be expressed using じゃあ

And I believe that maybe/ probably is たぶん (or as I usually hear it, たぶねえ)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 00:40   Link #3694
Seitsuki
Onee!

'Anyway' is probably just とにかく most of the time.
'By the way', ところで

たぶん certainly seems like the most common word used, but おそらく works too.
Old 2013-07-08, 00:46   Link #3695
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
I have a few questions regarding Japanese. It's more on how to say some sentence starters like...

Anyway,
By the way,
Well,
etc..

And how to say "maybe" or "probably".

教えてください~
There are really many many different ways to say and convey the meanings of what you listed; it really depends on what you want to say and convey in your entire sentence.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 02:26   Link #3696
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
anyway = とにかく
by the way = ところで
well = えと
etc = など

There are more, but these are my first choices. The choice also depends on context too.
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-08, 17:20   Link #3697
Pink Cow
This is my title.

How about ちなみに?

I've read someone use this before as "by the way". What makes it different from ところで?

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2013-07-08, 18:12   Link #3698
勝利は単純な魂の中に

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Cow View Post
How about ちなみに?

I've read someone use this before as "by the way". What makes it different from ところで?
ちなみに derives from the verb ちなむ which means "to have a connection to" something. Therefore ちなみに is used when you want to bring up a topic that is related to what was being talked about beforehand.

For example:
I took my exams today. By the way you have one coming up tomorrow right?

In contrast ところで is generally used when you want to change the topic. This does not mean there aren't cases where both are acceptable but rather that the nuance changes slightly depending on which term you use.
Avatar of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-09, 00:30   Link #3699
Pink Cow
This is my title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar of Dreams View Post
ちなみに derives from the verb ちなむ which means "to have a connection to" something. Therefore ちなみに is used when you want to bring up a topic that is related to what was being talked about beforehand.

For example:
I took my exams today. By the way you have one coming up tomorrow right?

In contrast ところで is generally used when you want to change the topic. This does not mean there aren't cases where both are acceptable but rather that the nuance changes slightly depending on which term you use.
I see! Thanks! That really cleared that up for me!

自由を愛しちゃう女の子だけ
Instagram
Old 2013-07-09, 13:05   Link #3700
SummeryDreams

Okay my thread got closed, so I guess we're back here xD So who still interested? 日本語がぜったいに勉強したいな!!!誰かいい???
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hiragana