AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-06-25, 04:09   Link #1021
Flo
The Necessary Evil

I have no religion, mainly because most of what I do is collect material of many different religion and Mythology for personal interest and reference, such as Norse, Greek, Satanism etc.

My prized possession (in terms of religion material) is the Satanic Bible, which is friggin expensive and damn hard to get because it's banned in my Country. >_> (And it had left me broke for a week. )

Lastest religion I'm currently looking into. Kamen Riderism (LOL)

Last edited by Flo; 2008-06-25 at 04:19.
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-25, 06:49   Link #1022
Photonbeam
It's VACATION TIMEEEEE!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Photonbeam
Roman Catholic.
Old 2008-06-25, 19:22   Link #1023
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post
I have no religion, mainly because most of what I do is collect material of many different religion and Mythology for personal interest and reference, such as Norse, Greek, Satanism etc.

My prized possession (in terms of religion material) is the Satanic Bible, which is friggin expensive and damn hard to get because it's banned in my Country. >_> (And it had left me broke for a week. )

interesting that you mentioned satanism, been interested in that.

especially the evangelist interpretation of Satan.

that he is fact a force of chaotic good, punishing and hunting the evil with his minions of demons and reapers.

Old 2008-06-26, 01:15   Link #1024
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Guys, I worship machismo.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 04:03   Link #1025
Yggdrasil
Baumkuchen

Send a message via ICQ to Yggdrasil Send a message via MSN to Yggdrasil
And yet another Muslim here.
Yggdrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 09:43   Link #1026
wnkryo
HainShodan

Straying away from the typical one answer, linear bravado of some of the previous posters, I personally believe religion is an extension of the human psyche to eliminate the fear that the mind will eventually die and cease to exist and that an eternal afterlife is what's waiting for the mind after it's "death." It's also a means for the mind to explain all the things science has yet to figure out.

Really, religion is everything the mind needs to create a fabricated sanctuary for itself while living in complete denial.

That' being said, I'm not an atheist per say. I'm more of a realist.
wnkryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 12:35   Link #1027
Flo
The Necessary Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnkryo View Post
Straying away from the typical one answer, linear bravado of some of the previous posters, I personally believe religion is an extension of the human psyche to eliminate the fear that the mind will eventually die and cease to exist and that an eternal afterlife is what's waiting for the mind after it's "death." It's also a means for the mind to explain all the things science has yet to figure out.

Really, religion is everything the mind needs to create a fabricated sanctuary for itself while living in complete denial.

So what you mean is Religion is some sort of an invisible best friend forever even after you die or something like that?
Flo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-26, 12:44   Link #1028
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:

I think it's a bit more complex than that. I'm a Marxist, so I always tend to analyze things as a working element within a society... Religion definitely was a tool used to herd people in the past (and still is). I think it has a lot to do with those who used it as a tool pretending to have knowledge other people don't have, and making that difference in knowledge clear enough for everyone.

Quote:
Excuse me, but what the hell does that mean? How is an atheist not based on reality?

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 01:13   Link #1029
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

That's the agnostic way of telling the atheists: "get off your high horses"

<--- atheist. however I learned the hard way back in the 2003 how taxing Internet religion discussions can be. /me shudders from the memories
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-05, 02:00   Link #1030
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:

Science itself can be a religion to some
For all it's flaws and incompleteness, some folks strongly believe that all things could be explained by it.

Dont get me wrong though, i m not against scientific thinking. But i believe that science is not the concrete truth. More of a tool to calculate the most probable cause/consequence. Like most tools, it breaks down sometimes and requires updates from time to time.
Old 2008-07-06, 19:35   Link #1031
Gemstar
Banned

Religion is like food, not everyone likes the same kind.

*Some may like it*
Gemstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 20:25   Link #1032
Cipheric
Ciph

Send a message via MSN to Cipheric
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post
Just a little FYI so that we're all clear: you understand that atheism is not the same thing as saying you believe in scientific laws or principles. Atheism is simply the disbelief of deities such as God or Zeus. How you choose to view the universe from that point is up to you. Quite simply, the term could be defined as a philosophy.

I mean like me - I have a strong faith toward science. I think the universe was created through big bangs and eons of dust gathering and comet impact. But at the same time, I believe that there are many things about the universe that we do not understand nor will I ever be able to understand in the 77 years I have left on this Earth. The world, in my point of view, was created according to complex yet natural laws. But I don't deny the possibility that there are deities out there who may or may not have contributed to the forming of the cosmos. Star Trek has taught me this and to keep an open mind.
Couldn't have said it any better :], i'll be in the same class as you are .
Cipheric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-06, 21:30   Link #1033
ItsATag
Protagonst of Life

I'm not sure what I believe but I've been agnostic for awhile. I've tried out many, many religions but none seemed right.

And it could be I'm just too lazy to devote myself to something that should take up 50% of my thoughts. I have enough trouble just getting out of bed.
ItsATag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-13, 01:54   Link #1034
Captain Falcon
Show me Ya Moves!!

Captain Falcon's religion is Captain Falcon.

When Captain Falcon said to God: "Show me ya Moves!!" God created the Great Flood.

Captain Falcon Falcon Punches God, God now lives in a shack in Guam.

The true religion is yourself.

You are nothing when you don't believe or follow yourself.

Like Captain Falcon believes and follows Captain Falcon.

You should believe and follow yourself.
Captain Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-14, 14:28   Link #1035
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Any brits involved in this thread may wanna check this out now (think you can watch online too)

The Qur'an on C4 @ 8pm

It basically is a documentary on how Muslims follow their faith around the world, the difference and variety is amazing. (Some countries women have more religious stance than the men O.o)
The messages and study of their text certainly dispells a hell of a lot of myth portrayed by the media (and muslim extremists) ever since 9/11 - I particulary aim this at any Christians or Jews in here, just to have a wee think on the basis of our own religion and how Muslims percieve Jesus and Moses in their text, you'll probably find it a pleasant surprise

As for athiests well... if you're at least curious for acquiring the knowledge even if you don't believe, feel free to check this program out too ^^
Religion aside, it's always fascinating to step out of our comfort zones and the world we know and live in to get a glance into how other humans thousands of miles away live their lives. In this case it includes how humans with deep, unwavered faith use it to strengthen their spirits and lives.

Sometimes, it's a refreshing change to observe something different the the dull and monotone of our own daily lives

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2008-07-14 at 14:40.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-23, 19:54   Link #1036
khouram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furuno View Post
Me too

Praying 5 times a day and fasting during Ramadhan...
But i'm far away from those "extreme" muslims in Afghan/Iraq, Islam's a peaceful religion and i think they're kinda wrong...
im also a muslim and i agree with you Islam is a peaceful religion and soon its gonna be time for Ramadhan soon looking forward to it.
khouram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 08:57   Link #1037
Solidus1321

Send a message via Yahoo to Solidus1321
Christian here, Just simply said I enjoy life and there are many people in my community and church that I know that are always there for me like a 2nd family. I will raise my children christain faith and enjoy the peace, There is no need to think of religon as a job to do as long as you have people that love you and you stay strong in what you belive in you should never have any worries in your life. I have nothing aganist anyone else religon or if they just dont have one. Unless your killing in the name of your lord, thats just messed up, give peace a chance, if god told me to kill then i would just think I am haveing some mental problems and I might need to see a doctor.
Solidus1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 09:05   Link #1038
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flo View Post

that cracked me up

muslim here
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 11:02   Link #1039
Phantom-Takaya
INTJ
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via MSN to Phantom-Takaya Send a message via Yahoo to Phantom-Takaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
Captain Falcon's religion is Captain Falcon.

When Captain Falcon said to God: "Show me ya Moves!!" God created the Great Flood.

Captain Falcon Falcon Punches God, God now lives in a shack in Guam.

The true religion is yourself.

You are nothing when you don't believe or follow yourself.

Like Captain Falcon believes and follows Captain Falcon.

You should believe and follow yourself.
Isn't that something called self-confidence?
Phantom-Takaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-24, 12:39   Link #1040
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Either that or hubris/insanity --- it can as easily lead to violent nihilism as to beatific benevolence since it is all about the self rather than the connections one has with others.

Tags
not a debate, philosophy, religion