AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-01, 08:47   Link #981
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I think we have differing definitions of "Main Character"; this is probably because I believe you can only have one 'Main character', a smaller group of 'primary characters', 'secondary characters', and then 'extras'. For example, in Lucky Star, the Main Character is Konata, but the Primary Characters are Miyuki, Kagami and Tsukasa. In Evangelion, the Main Character is Shinji, but the Primary Characters are Rei, Asuka, and Misato. In Gurren-Lagann, the main character is Simon, the other but Primary Characters are Kamina and Yoko.
Fullmetal Alchemist. Even though Ed's the title character(sorta), I'll be damned if you don't consider Al a main character.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-01, 08:47   Link #982
Jintor

Will Smith's character.

Al is a Primary character.

The Main character trumps all the other characters.
Old 2009-11-01, 08:51   Link #983
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Will Smith's character.
Funny... if I had to choose, I'd probably choose Tommy Lee Jones' character. He's the mentor figure after all. He's the guy who was an agent before Will was.

Who's the main character in the Superman/Batman comic?
Old 2009-11-01, 08:52   Link #984
Jintor

Will Smith's character?

I admit my theory fails when we get into things that are deliberately engineered as Duo creations...

/edit I chose Will Smith because we're generally supposed to empathise with Jay because he's the rookie; he's the one the story follows from the start to the end. MIB 2 might be different; I think that focuses more on Kay.
Old 2009-11-01, 08:56   Link #985
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Will Smith's character?
LOL

Quote:
I admit my theory fails when we get into things that are deliberately engineered as Duo creations...
Well, I'll admit that most fictional works do tend to have one particular main character. But there are exceptions.
Old 2009-11-01, 08:58   Link #986
Jintor

Like the Blues Brothers. They fail my litmus test as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I believe that the Kyon/Haruhi dynamic is a ying/yang one in many respects. Each has personality characteristics that would serve to make the other one more well-rounded. And, what we see through the novels, in my opinion, is each character gradually and slowly becoming more like the other one.

So, I tend to see Kyon and Haruhi sharing the center of the narrative, the rest of the SOS Brigade immediately surrounding them (with Nagato being perhaps a bit more prominent than Itsuki and Mikuru), and the the other characters surrounding the SOS Brigade.
You structure heirachy as a yin/yang circle surrounded by more circles, while I see it as a typical triangle. Interesting...

Last edited by Jintor; 2009-11-01 at 09:09.
Old 2009-11-01, 15:06   Link #987
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Al is a Primary character.
There are several times in the manga when Ed drops out of focus entirely, and it moves to Al... Al is one of the two main characters of the duo. In this way, I agree with Triple_R... some characters can share a main character role because they are designed that way.

Haruhi and Kyon, however, are really not designed that way... Kyon spends relatively little time in most of the stories (again, especially Vol. 7, you need to finish it before you make comments about it, Triple_R) by Haruhi's side, although he's with her most of the time OUT of the narrative's scope. By that I mean that he sits in front of her in class and generally does whatever she says.

I believe the character Kyon actually interacts most with might be Koizumi, like I suggested earlier. Koizumi is practically his confidante, precisely because he HAS no one else. (I'm sure he'd talk to Haruhi if what he was talking about didn't involve her, but...)

And wait, Triple_R, you're into Vol 7 already? Skip Melancholy of Mikuru until after the Prologue?
Old 2009-11-01, 15:19   Link #988
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
There are several times in the manga when Ed drops out of focus entirely, and it moves to Al... Al is one of the two main characters of the duo. In this way, I agree with Triple_R... some characters can share a main character role because they are designed that way.
Thank you. And I would argue that Kyon and Haruhi are designed that way as well. Due to the unique yin/yang element between them, as well as many other factors.

Quote:
Kyon spends relatively little time in most of the stories (again, especially Vol. 7, you need to finish it before you make comments about it, Triple_R)
Well, I'm not commenting on Vol. 7 as a whole. I was just pointing out how the opening narration of the Prologue of Volume 7 focuses very intensely on Haruhi, and for many paragraphs.

Quote:
...by Haruhi's side, although he's with her most of the time OUT of the narrative's scope. By that I mean that he sits in front of her in class and generally does whatever she says.

I believe the character Kyon actually interacts most with might be Koizumi, like I suggested earlier. Koizumi is practically his confidante, precisely because he HAS no one else. (I'm sure he'd talk to Haruhi if what he was talking about didn't involve her, but...)
Actually, I might agree with you here. However, this is about the only time we see Koizumi take center stage... when he's talking with Kyon one-on-one. Whereas Haruhi is unique in that she often takes center stage with out respect to Kyon. That is, to say, Koizumi, Nagato, and Mikuru are only center stage when Kyon focuses on them. Haruhi, OTOH, maintains a constant center stage presence by how she holds an authoritative stature compared to all the characters (not just Kyon), and also by how she consistently has great plot relevance.

Basically, even if we don't take her powers into account, Haruhi's stature is raised simply through being SOS Brigade Chief, and by her overt eccentricity. This causes her to be a point of focus for all of the characters of this anime and novel franchise. Apart from Haruhi, only Kyon enjoys such a "point of focus" stature, albeit for different reasons... reasons that directly relate back to Haruhi, usually.

Quote:
And wait, Triple_R, you're into Vol 7 already? Skip Melancholy of Mikuru until after the Prologue?
Yes, that's my approach.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-11-01 at 15:37.
Old 2009-11-01, 16:14   Link #989
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Basically, even if we don't take her powers into account, Haruhi's stature is raised simply through being SOS Brigade Chief, and by her overt eccentricity. This causes her to be a point of focus for all of the characters of this anime and novel franchise. Apart from Haruhi, only Kyon enjoys such a "point of focus" stature, albeit for different reasons... reasons that directly relate back to Haruhi, usually.
Haruhi's abilities are the center of the story... not Haruhi's character. Although one is an extension of the other, I feel that Haruhi-as-a-character is extremely unimportant compared to Haruhi-as-a-god.

I also really think the series is more about Kyon, as a direct consequence of his position as narrator, than anyone else.

It's like the exact opposite of The Great Gatsby.
Old 2009-11-01, 17:40   Link #990
Jintor

To modify my theory, maybe it's more that there can only be one Main Character at any given point in a story, and characters are moved in and out of the position as is narratively convenient? Acc. Kaisos (i haven't watched FMA the anime) in order for Al to be the main character role, Ed had to not be the main character. So perhaps it's more of a roving spotlight than a permenant feature, if you get my drift.
Old 2009-11-01, 17:53   Link #991
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
To modify my theory, maybe it's more that there can only be one Main Character at any given point in a story, and characters are moved in and out of the position as is narratively convenient?
You still end up with more than one Main Character for the series as a whole.
Old 2009-11-01, 20:35   Link #992
Jintor

Ah, but then they don't become the Main Character, they just occupy the position for a given amount of time. It's like, if a group continually switches who the person in the position of leader is, you don't get lots of leaders; you get a leader and a bunch of ex-leaders, and they just keep swapping around.

It's all Semantics anyway, because Haruhi always has Kyon as the viewpoint character.
Old 2009-11-01, 20:44   Link #993
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
To modify my theory, maybe it's more that there can only be one Main Character at any given point in a story, and characters are moved in and out of the position as is narratively convenient? Acc. Kaisos (i haven't watched FMA the anime) in order for Al to be the main character role, Ed had to not be the main character. So perhaps it's more of a roving spotlight than a permenant feature, if you get my drift.
Well, I doubt that your theory has universal application, but your theory may apply to this anime and novel franchise at least. If we use your theory...

Novel 1 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The main character is probably Kyon.

Novel 2 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya - The main character is probably Haruhi. This is where she is most of a catalyst, both directly and indirectly. This may also be the novel where Kyon's narration focuses on Haruhi the most.

Novel 4 - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - The main character is perhaps Nagato (she is the cause of the major disturbance in this novel, after all).

Snow Mountain Syndrome and Where Did the Cat go - You could actually argue that Koizumi is the main character in these two. Because he's the one that sets up the New Year's Eve trip, and basically provides running commentary on it. He really is almost like a game-show host, lol.

And, from what I understand, Mikuru does get a focus put on her in the later novels as well.

As an aside, your theory definitely applies to Star Trek, where it was common to have many episodes focusing on one or two particular crew members.
Old 2009-11-01, 22:08   Link #994
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Well, I doubt that your theory has universal application, but your theory may apply to this anime and novel franchise at least. If we use your theory...

Novel 1 - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - The main character is probably Kyon.

Novel 2 - The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya - The main character is probably Haruhi. This is where she is most of a catalyst, both directly and indirectly. This may also be the novel where Kyon's narration focuses on Haruhi the most.

Novel 4 - The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya - The main character is perhaps Nagato (she is the cause of the major disturbance in this novel, after all).

Snow Mountain Syndrome and Where Did the Cat go - You could actually argue that Koizumi is the main character in these two. Because he's the one that sets up the New Year's Eve trip, and basically provides running commentary on it. He really is almost like a game-show host, lol.

And, from what I understand, Mikuru does get a focus put on her in the later novels as well.

As an aside, your theory definitely applies to Star Trek, where it was common to have many episodes focusing on one or two particular crew members.
The focus character is different than the main character.

In my own honest opinion, there isn't any definate main character.

Kyon is basically a cameraman that won't shut up, though we all love him for that.
Haruhi is more or less an actual main character that gets bored sometimes and wanders off the set. Since she doesn't have the spotlight for a long enough time, she can't be called "the" main character.
Nagato is a classic silent (or stoic) side character, following in the footsteps of Rei Ayanami in this role.
Mikuru I could care less about, but honestly she is a typical "moe" side character (I say she's more of a femme fatale than anything else).
Koizumi gives me the creeps.
Tsuruya is pretty much another show's main character that is getting a cameo.

And that pretty much covers everyone with enough screen time to make a case for. None of them are true main characters, the last four especially.

Of course, this is Haruhi we're talking about. Tanigawa isn't exactly known for playing his tropes straight down the line like everybody else.

All Glory to the Greentext.
Old 2009-11-01, 22:33   Link #995
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
The focus character is different than the main character.

In my own honest opinion, there isn't any definate main character.

Kyon is basically a cameraman that won't shut up, though we all love him for that.
Haruhi is more or less an actual main character that gets bored sometimes and wanders off the set. Since she doesn't have the spotlight for a long enough time, she can't be called "the" main character.
Nagato is a classic silent (or stoic) side character, following in the footsteps of Rei Ayanami in this role.
Mikuru I could care less about, but honestly she is a typical "moe" side character (I say she's more of a femme fatale than anything else).
Koizumi gives me the creeps.
Tsuruya is pretty much another show's main character that is getting a cameo.

And that pretty much covers everyone with enough screen time to make a case for. None of them are true main characters, the last four especially.

Of course, this is Haruhi we're talking about. Tanigawa isn't exactly known for playing his tropes straight down the line like everybody else.
That is a neat way of looking at it. I particularly like your take on Tsuruya... it really does fit with how she's used in this novel and anime franchise.
Old 2009-11-02, 00:14   Link #996
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
I don't think Disappearance was about Nagato.
It was about Kyon and his epic adventure to get back to his real dimension, with the help of his (now altered) friends.
I don't think Nagato was what the story was about. Granted, she was probably the second main character in this story, but since It focused on Kyon, I'll say It's about Kyon.
Old 2009-11-02, 00:44   Link #997
Jintor

Quote:
That is a neat way of looking at it. I particularly like your take on Tsuruya... it really does fit with how she's used in this novel and anime franchise.
But I've been saying that forever! D:
Old 2009-11-02, 00:49   Link #998
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I'd say she's more of a fan character based largely on Haruhi, but that's just me. What does this have to do with speculation, anyway?
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-11-02, 01:04   Link #999
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Who's the main character in the Superman/Batman comic?
Bad example. Batman is always the main character. In everything. In the current DC storyline, he's "dead". But he's still the main character.

You know, I think I finally understand your Haruhi argument, although I still disagree. See, she's no Batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Haruhi's abilities are the center of the story... not Haruhi's character. Although one is an extension of the other, I feel that Haruhi-as-a-character is extremely unimportant compared to Haruhi-as-a-god.
^ This. Perfectly stated.

This is what I was getting at with the characters' personal (read "emotional") foci. The SOS-dan members didn't show up because of Haruhi's supposed magnetic personality. They were there due to her powers. Now, that's still the primary reason they are there, but the only major additional reason (except for Itsuki, who may or may not have a thing for Haruhi) is Kyon. Yuki (and again, maybe Itsuki—can't really tell) definitely has personal feelings for him, and he's Mikuru's all-important personal cheat code/plot coupon (finish Volume 7 already, Trip). And in later books he especially becomes a focus for some new characters, which will probably help you to understand my seeing "Mary-Sue-like" qualities in him.
Old 2009-11-02, 01:06   Link #1000
Triple_R
*Author

Recently finished the Prologue for Novel 7. Was debating if it was worth reviewing on its own. After discussing it over with another AS regular here that's read through all the novels, I decided that it probably was (like that person said, the Prologue is about the length of a chapter, anyway). So, some brief points. Spoiler space to save space...

Spoiler for Novel 7 Prologue:

Well, that's all for this one. Hope people took something form my review at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Bad example. Batman is always the main character. In everything. In the current DC storyline, he's "dead". But he's still the main character.
If you're joking here, and just being a big Batman fan, a smilie would help, but it's fine.

If you're serious here, you underestimate Superman's importance as a character.

Quote:
You know, I think I finally understand your Haruhi argument, although I still disagree. See, she's no Batman.
Nor is Kyon.

Quote:
^ This. Perfectly stated.
I'm going to be frank here; both you and Kaisos have been very critical of Haruhi's character... and frankly (and especially after recently reading Novels 5 and 6), I don't quite see why.

So... it's not surprising at all to me that both you and Kaisos hold a low view of Haruhi's quality and value as a character, apart from her God-like powers, imo.

There's no question that Haruhi was guilty of some awful behavior pre-Disappearance, but she comes across pretty well post-Disappearance. Honestly, she's a bit of a caring sweetheart post-Disappearance.

If a character moves past earlier transgressions, I tend to forgive him or her for it, unless it's something hugely bad.

Quote:
This is what I was getting at with the characters' personal (read "emotional") foci. The SOS-dan members didn't show up because of Haruhi's supposed magnetic personality. They were there due to her powers. Now, that's still the primary reason they are there, etc...
I somewhat disagree. I think that they're growing to like Haruhi for who she is.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-11-02 at 02:31. Reason: Editing in reply to Quigon
Closed Thread