August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Spoiler for Ghost in the Machine:
Spoiler for Ghosts of Mars:
Old 2012-05-13, 23:48   Link #402
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Might not be time to get Sasha's body from Mars this trip. But what about another trip (if they follow the old timeline/plotline somewhat)? As a meta perspective of course. They can't assume they will even make it to Iscandar at this point. They can't even assume they will make it past the Gamilus Fleet at Pluto at this point.

As we've not (I assume) seen much more than the preview of this episode, we can't be entirely certain about what is going on by the time Yamato gets to Mars. In the original version is was the Moon to Mars and they were under attack by another Gamilas carrier and its fighter wing.

Spoiler for Woman at the airlock:

Spoiler for Speculation on Mori:

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-14 at 01:00. Reason: Mori on Yamato
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 05:19   Link #403
macdawson

Spoiler:
macdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 17:39   Link #404
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Most of this is speculation since we don't know all that much yet.

Spoiler for "Grave mistakes":
Old 2012-05-14, 18:57   Link #405
macdawson

As for goodbyes on Earth i don't know if Yuki is seen with her parents or not (guess that would either disprove her as an alien or give creedence to her being a vessel for one). We see Tokugawa with his family, especially his grandaughter (Kathleen in SB), Shima with his brother (wich is the "main kid" in Yuki's class), Akira cutting her hair and Kodai in what i'm guessing is Mamoru's appartment. This may be a way of putting the goodbyes from the original's ep. 10 out of the way, as you say.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:41   Link #406
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The inclusion of some of those characters in Tim Eldred's version of the Rebirth story made it feel more real to me than the 2009 movie from Japan. Even though I liked the Japanes film as well (aside from a personal issues I have with the music not fitting scenes from about halfway into the film to near the ending. Though I think they fixed that in the Director's Cut, I've not seen that version yet), the webcomic seemed to fit the character (at least of the Star Blazers style) better. Though I suppose having the crew of Yamato be partially generational and having pretty much anyone that survived have a high ranking position in the fleet is very Star Trekish, it felt right having (Kathleen) and Miyuki serving on the "Argo". As well as having various relatives to older crew members assigned to the ship. It felt like it should. Along with Desslok of course...can't have a version without him effectively...right?

As for 2199: it will be interesting to see what they decide to do for those middle episodes. The ones that can be altered without effectively changing the plot, nor the potental sequels in any measureable way.

I take the movies (the 1976 version of the original and the live action version in 2010) to see what the main elements of the plot that remained nearly or completely intact were so a messure of what they will probably keep come post-Pluto 2199.

Spoiler for Main Plot Points/events:

Though as I've mentioned before, I'm hoping for Yamato: 2201...because with today's technology, I really want to see the Andromeda and the EDF in action against the Comet Empire's fleets. Even though that series was probably the best written and animated of the while series...there are things you can do today that you could not do in 1978.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:21   Link #407
macdawson

A whole fleet of ships is doing battle in the Shizuoka Hobby Show. The Gamilas ships look pretty impressive. 1/1000 scale (damn!!! my 1/500 Yamato will be off scale XDDD )

http://ga.sbcr.jp/mreport/020189/
Old 2012-05-17, 13:30   Link #408
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Want!

Endless "Gimme!" Soul
Old 2012-05-17, 13:40   Link #409
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Assuming I am not presented with something more interesting to play out by September, I plan an running a modified version of the Battle of Pluto using a slightly modified version of the Star Blazers Fleet Battle System. This will be at Celesticon in California.

I intend to modify the ship specs to reflect the new 2199 version. This means larger ships for some (not a lot larger) and making up an Earth cruiser. I will be using mostly miniatures from Musashi Enterprises, but also some candy toys to reflect scale for the larger ships.

We also will need to come up with something to fill in for the Earth cruiser type on the table top. Will either use a candy toy Yukikaze for the cruisers (with the "Lightning" miniatures being the destroyers) or paint some of the odder shaped Earth battleships from much later on in old style colors ans make them look like the cruisers verses the larger Kirishima candy toy/model.
Old 2012-05-21, 14:47   Link #410
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Only a few days before other people start getting their copies of Yamato2199 disc 1.

Though at the current exchange rate, getting disc 1 and 2 seems to be about $140 US on amazon.jp. A little out of my price range since I also need to puchase a BD player to do anything with them (never had a need for one until now). Maybe a little later when I have more funds.

Same thing with the new models. I'm certain some of them will show up in the area eventually, but until then I will make due with what I have access to presently.
Old 2012-05-21, 19:29   Link #411
Ryuudou

I downloaded this movie once because it was at the top of the tracker for an asian media torrent site that I use, but I found it pretty corny and couldn't finish.
Ryuudou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-21, 19:58   Link #412
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Which movie? There are lots of them. Animated and live action. From the 1970s, 1980s, 2000s, and 2010s. (Note that Space Battleship Yamato 2199 won't be out on DVD for a few more days, so it wasnt this movie)

As long as you didn't pick up Space Cruiser with the really bad Englush dub from 1977.

My guess it the live action movie.
Old 2012-05-22, 16:07   Link #413
August138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuudou View Post
I downloaded this movie once because it was at the top of the tracker for an asian media torrent site that I use, but I found it pretty corny and couldn't finish.
How can anyone call classic anime "corny", when you are an avid fan of modern anime, which is decidedly "tongue-in-cheek"? Plus, if you have nothing to bring to a conversation, but an off-handed (and seemingly ignorant) dismissal, why bother posting at all? It's just rude and childish.
Old 2012-05-23, 00:51   Link #414
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Eh. Something like that happens to almost every show. And I can see how someone could call it "corny" depending on what version they saw and what else they were exposed to before seeing it. While Yamato has aged well for the most part, some dubs of it come off a little weird depending on how ones views these sorts of things.

The indication of movie recently suggests one of three things. The Live Action film (which is a bit different from everything else). The Yamato: Resurrection film from 2009, which I can't call corny, but not the best work of the series. Or the 1977 film...which is alright, if editted weird sometimes. If it was that film, it could have been the English dub...which is really bad. The pre-Star Blazers dub as the Star Blazers dub is fine (mostly).

Star Blazers does have places were they added dialog to scenes were in Japan no one was talking, or even on screen. Usually these were humorous additions:

Quote:
SANDOR: "Is everyone alright?"
EAGER: "I feel dizy."
SANDOR: Well that is normal for you Eager"

(This is during the aftermath of a battle with Gamilon and all you see are scenes of the damage on the Argo and bodies of the crew on the floor. This is before Wildstar enters the scene and finds Nova outside crying. The Japanese scene was extended with only a wind noise until later you can hear Yuki crying.)
or there to cover part of what might be a long explaination that wouldn't fit the character's screen time in translation from Japanese to English.

I am thinking this place probably needs a bunch of images from Pixiv dumped on it, but I have no account there.

Also I keep thinking there is a need for avatars and signatures, but my skills are limited to MS Paint and whatever images I can find. Suggestions for what people would like? The BD-DVDs come out Friday so I image a bunch more stuff will star showing up by next week as more and more people get their hands on those discs.
Old 2012-05-23, 13:21   Link #415
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Some images.

Or old school uniforms

There is this little story
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And not everything is about the girls:

And of course mecha, which I'm sure there will be more of really soon.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-23 at 15:21. Reason: More sources
Old 2012-05-23, 15:14   Link #416
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Well since we're talking about pixiv...

From this artist.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 00:38   Link #417
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Much larger selection now that just Yuki. (Most popular on Danbooru seems to be Niimi Kaoru, though on Pixiv the popular one is Harada Makoto. Both after Mori Yuki of course.)

(Might be fair to have some of the guys shown as well...there are a lot more of them. But ships too I think)

Though my imagination says that most of them will die.

But then Akihiro Enomoto and Yutaka Izubuchi aren't Leiji Matsumoto or Yoshinobu Nishizaki. They might have a different ideology than those two who conflicted with each other several times as Yamato went on. Especially when it came to character deaths and motives for those deaths.

We will see how far they get into the combined story arcs over the course of 2199 to 2203-ish.

Though I had a thought about a theoretical third season. Yamato 2199 has a known arc that has a very defined beginning and a roughly defined ending. Yamato 2201 as a very tightly crafted story that can take two known paths depending on if the story follows the movie ending or the TV ending. The orignal third season was done after two films (one TV and one theatrical)...I would propose instead doing a third season out of those two films and elements of the another plotline that would setup the plot for a better version of what was the original third season.

Spoiler for Plot related stuff for the films and background for Yamato III (and long):

This proposed season sets up what was the original Yamato III by filling in the backstory and motivations of the other side that were more of less crammed into one or two episodes in the middle of the series that could (or should) have been expanded on. With that sort of out the way, a new version of Yamato 2203 could not only make the Galman's more interesting, but also could give room for the originally dropped plotline for Space Battleship Arizona even in a 26 episode TV series. Since the proposed Yamato 2199 story notes suggest they are going to make the Gamilus more interesting, the logical flow suggests that they could go as far as to make Dessler a main character (if he survives of course) and thus give him a core group of interesting characters for us to follow around at times when Yamato is not really doing anything.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-05-24 at 01:37. Reason: spelling
Old 2012-05-24, 05:40   Link #418
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Ithekro, are you already planning how things will progress beyond this first season? You sure are putting ALLOT of thought into it
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 09:47   Link #419
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

That's the sign of a true fan.

Endless "Third season" Soul
Old 2012-05-24, 11:07   Link #420
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Some images.

Or old school uniforms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well since we're talking about pixiv...

From this artist.
Sometimes I wonder if the producer enjoys Dog Days - after naming a torpedo assault warship the Yukikaze, they now proceed to line the cast with sexy girls in skintight suits.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic, remake, science fiction, space opera, yamato