AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-27, 10:52   Link #1
OrangeHat

Sentimental & No humor anime/manga

Sentimental is a must but no humor is not neccessarily a must , as little as possible ,

few great examples - Clannad - I don't mind if there's only one character who is an idiot (no hard feelings) like sunohara youhei Phantom : Requiem for the Phantom is another example , of course we don't want forget AnoHana and Elfen Lied , Shiki , Higurashi & Umineko , True Tears , almost forgot - Steins;Gate - beginning doesn't count.

my anime list just in case - http://myanimelist.net/animelist/OrangeHat
Thank you very much in advance and I hope I am not asking for the impossible (:
OrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 10:55   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Bartender would top my list.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 14:33   Link #3
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Assuming anime movies are acceptable I would highly suggest Bungaku Shoujo and Colorful for this.

Series:
Shigofumi very little humor and pretty sentimental seeing as the title means "letters from the departed".

Little Busters! it probably has slightly more humor than Clannad does overall, but has similar levels of sentimental to it. (It's also by Key afterall)
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 14:48   Link #4
OrangeHat

@SeijiSensei , looks pretty decent , absolutely will try it! Thanks for rec (:

@Konakaga , yeah i don't mind movies too. K-Key works? then it is must watch! I thought Little Busters was plain moe? Bungaku shoujo cathed my eye , added to ptw and everything else too.
Thanks for rec (:
OrangeHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 20:13   Link #5
kitten320

Sadly Little Busters don't live up to any of the Key works. It is full of shockingly dumb characters x_x

Not bad series but doesn't come close to every other Key work feeling and character wise.

Not entirely sure what you mean by sentimental though... but going by series you mentioned I recommend the following:
Aria series - touching slice of life show with some magical elements. those are episodic series but they still build the things up that lead to a touching final in last season. Series get better with each season. Most of the stories are entertaining and characters are lovely. Each story and character has something to offer. 1st season is called Aria the animation.
Slightly gives Key vibes.

Bungaku Shoujo - nice, touching movie with some OVAs. I would recommend to watch 1st and 3rd OVA first. then the movie and after that OVA 2.

Dennou Coil - a comedy that gradually turns into something more dramatic and suspenseful. It has good start, slow middle part but engaging last part.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - a movie about the end of the world where small part of survivors try to fight and survive against weird spirits that can suck your soul out by just touching.
Pretty underestimated movie in my opinion.

Ga-Rei: Zero - one of my faves just like Shiki and Phantom. These are action series with strong drama and give a bit of an Elfen Lied feel to it. It has comedy in between but eventually all of it turns into drama.

Ghost Hunt - by same author as Shiki. Great series about ghost hunting.

Great Teacher Onizuka - classic! A lot of comedy but beneath all of it lies string drama and varieties with themes with which most viewers could easily relate too. Onizuka is an ex-gang member who strives to become the best teacher in Japan. He becomes homeroom teacher for one of the most messed up classes at school. Onizuka will try to help each one of them but his methods are not something you would expect.
Great series!

Hakuouki - not the best series ever but they focus on the famous Shinsengumi samurai organization that existed centuries ago. It is not strong action wise, but I like the story and characters. I would recommend to start with prequel Hakuouki Reimeiroku.

Jigoku Shoujo - episodic series about Hell Girl that will fulfill your hatred by dragging the person you hate to hell. In exchange your soul will go to hell as well but after you die.
Series mostly focuses on different kinds of problems and hatreds that exist in this world while gradually telling us more about who exactly Hell Girl actually is.

Kanon 2006 - since you like Key works, I'm surprised you didn't watch this one. Much better than Little Busters.

Katanagatari - if you liked Bakemonogatari series, you have to watch this one since it is the same author.

Mawaru Penguindrum - similar, symbolic style to Bakemonogatari. Slow and weird start but eventually it turns into a good ride.

Monster - detective series based in a real life setting. Famous surgeon saved a child once and years later learns that child became a famous serial killer. To make it worse he is suspected in some of the crimes. He is determined to stop the killer and on his way encounters a lot of different people.

Natsume Yuujinchou - nice, sweet and touching episodic series.

NHK ni Youkoso! - a lot of comedy but at the same time a lot of drama and seriouse, real life problems and themes.

Psycho-Pass - finished airing few days ago. Same creator as Madoka series what means you'll get a good, engaging ride in a new dark world with its new secrets.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - gave me similar vibes as Phantom. Dramatic, touching as well as inspiring series about group of friends who struggle for better lives. Their journey starts during imprisonment and then follows their lives after release.

Sakamichi no Apollon - pretty realistic series with some drama about 3 school friends and Jazz.

Seirei no Moribito - great adventure series with engaging plot and characters.Female bodyguard Balsa was forced to protect a young prince Chagum who is hunted down by his own father, emperor because he is possessed by a water spirit.
Series follow their adventure and struggle through all the burdens that are frown at them.

Well... that's a lot for you to look through
Old 2013-03-27, 22:59   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

on kitten's suggestion:
Mawaru Penguindrum and Katanagatari have fair bit humor to them imo, so I am not sure about them for this suggestion.

While Psycho-Pass is more on thriller/suspense side than what I would consider a "Sentimental" series

I suppose Seirei no Moribito would fit somewhat, it's just not the first title to come to mind under Sentimental.
MAL
Old 2013-03-28, 06:22   Link #7
AntonKutovoi

Hokuto no Ken. Better read the manga (anime is from the early 80-th, so it's dificult to watch it now. And it's also got a lot of fillers)
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-28, 13:18   Link #8
kitten320

Well it is really hard to call Umineko sentimental when people get killed over and over for fun.

Bakemonogatari also has humour.

Besides Penguin and Katanagatari have drama towards the end. If we are to go in full depression mode, Clannad is out of place as well then.
Old 2013-03-29, 00:35   Link #9
mit7059

Natsume Yuujinchou
5cm per Second

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:54   Link #10
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Having watched this week's episode of Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") this morning, I'm adding that to this list as well, and not just because of this episode.
Old 2013-03-31, 13:34   Link #11
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'd say Bunny Drop is very sentimental, but not very humorous.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 13:50   Link #12
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'd say Bunny Drop is very sentimental, but not very humorous.
I forgot about this at time of posting, I'd 2nd it.
MAL
Old 2013-03-31, 14:26   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

With the risk of sounding like a broken record, here I am suggesting Zetsuen no Tempest again . It’s an excellent action fantasy anime that quite fits your “sentimental and no humor” requirement .
Spoiler for Preview:
Old 2013-03-31, 20:18   Link #14
mit7059

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Having watched this week's episode of Uchuu Kyoudai ("Space Brothers") this morning, I'm adding that to this list as well, and not just because of this episode.
I'd say that Space Brothers is full of comedy. It's a fantastic show and I absolutely recommend it but if you're looking for a show lacking comedy I wouldn't include Space Brothers on that list.

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
mit7059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 21:50   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Space Brothers, like most shows with strong ties to the slice-of-life genre, includes a mixture of comedy and drama. Mutta can be very funny, to be sure, but he is still a serious person at heart. So is the rest of the cast. I suppose Space Brothers doesn't qualify as a show with as little comedy as possible, as the OP requested, but to classify it as primarily a comedy doesn't really do the show justice.

Usagi Drop has a number of funny moments, but it's not really a comedy. Showa Monogatari drips with nostalgia given its depiction of daily life in 1964 Tokyo. It has humorous moments but is solidly in the slice-of-life genre as well. I'd add that to the list of shows that meet the OP's request.