AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Utawarerumono

Notices

Old 2006-11-09, 08:59   Link #1
Asrialys

ADV Universe has the first dubbed episode for $4.99. Yeah...I got it...

Actually, the dub seems pretty good to me. And Eruruu's name-change sounds fine...sort of. It surprised me to be alright with it after hearing it used. It's not like every dub can practice pronunciation till they get it right like Bleach. Sure, they don't do their Rs like the Japanese, but at least their consistent (heh). Anyway, Everyone sounds fine in the dub. Except I can only see Greg Ayres as Chrno, but whatever. He still does a great job.

But of course, you're all gonna say that everyone sounds wrong. That they lack emotion. That the females sound older. Etcetera, etcetera.

Putting aside the obvious language difference, how English and Japanese are spoken are completely different. And it's not like there are many English voice actressess who can do a good small and cute voice to come close to Eruruu's and Aruruu's.

I'd show you bits and pieces through YouTube or something, but I don't know how to edit a video and since ADV Universe's downloads are supposed to be protected, I don't want to get in trouble. Well, I probably won't get anything except a deleted video, but whatever.

EDIT: Alright, here are some videos I recorded. And yes, I really did use my camera...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...2E45518F7C71E2

EDIT2: http://www.advfilms.com/titles/utawarerumono/index.html <---ADV's site

Last edited by Asrialys; 2006-12-19 at 12:11.
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 16:21   Link #2
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
Does the V.A. for the dubbed Nuwangi effectively pull off the knucklehead voice? heh Actually, I'm more interested to hear how different the tail pull scene went. O_o
Zaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-09, 19:24   Link #3
Asrialys

Nuwangi is voiced by Greg Ayres. Hm...if you've ever watched Chrno Chrusade dubbed, Nuwangi sounds almost like Chrno. lol But no, that edge in Japanese Nuwangi is not in the dub. I don't know if that's even within the capabilities of English (or any other language) voice actors.

Yeah, I was going to post about the tail part. It's alright, except the "Houououo~" (sp? lol) part is much better in Japanese. Well, might be because the Japanese VA has a smaller voice, making it sound cuter. Whatever.

I can't wait to hear more of Aruruu and see how well her English voice is. But that'll have to wait till the DVDs. By the way, the DVD box art (only assuming by the image on ADV Universe) looks ugly.

I will try to take scenes from the episode and them on YouTube or something. Can the Nero player do that? Never tried...

EDIT: Oh, and if this episode is any indication of future episodes, the titles are still in Japanese. However, there were no subtitles for the downloaded version.

EDIT2: Forget it! I'm just gonna take my digital camera and record the parts of the episode. Much easier and quicker.
Old 2006-11-10, 12:41   Link #4
Flame-X
Anti-fan

LOL do they pronounce Eruru's name as Elulu? ^^
Old 2006-11-12, 10:34   Link #5
Asrialys

Alright, here are some videos I recorded. And yes, I really did use my camera...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...2E45518F7C71E2
Old 2006-11-12, 10:44   Link #6
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
thankyou asrialys for the upload ^_^ really they dont sound half bad...the voices fit well and the "tail" scene was done properly
only pitfall...her name is not elulu! >.<

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-12, 11:49   Link #7
Asrialys

Meh, not like they practice pronunciations all the time anyway. Can't wait to see them with the longer names. Like Kuuya's...
Old 2006-11-12, 14:56   Link #8
Flame-X
Anti-fan

OMG ewwwwwww. holy crap! im sorry but most of those voices dont fit. ERURU is probably is only voice that's decent. the first 15 sec sounds wrong so in many levels LOL. do english voice actors ever watch the subbed version before voicing it?
Old 2006-11-12, 15:39   Link #9
Asrialys

I would think they do...Just finding matching voices is probably hard to impossible. So they gotta use what they got.
Old 2006-11-12, 21:19   Link #10
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, finding voices that match the Japanese voices isn't the goal per se either (even if they could). It's more to find voices that give off the equivalent qualities in the character to an English audience. Sometimes that's actually quite different than the equivalent sounding voice in Japanese. (For example, Eruru's voice does sound like a young but caring/motherly woman, but is a much lower pitch than the Japanese equivalent, and so on.)

I think the main problem asking for dub opinions around here is that it seems a lot of fansub watchers suffer from "voice imprinting" - meaning, they can't detach the character from the first voice they heard. So it doesn't matter whether the dub voice is good, bad, or indifferent; if you've imprinted the voice, any other voice will sound bad. For my part, I don't "imprint" that much, I guess. I always tend to watch the dubs of shows I buy on R1 DVD, even (and especially) when I've already seen the fansubs. I always take it as a reinterpretation of the show, so I don't tend to get too worked up over some liberties (so long as they make sense). For what it's worth, I think the dub voices (at least from those clips provided) do a pretty good job of capturing the personalities of the characters, and there isn't too much in the way of "mouth-flap-fitting" awkwardness (a constant and unenviable struggle for dub actors). If my sisters (who prefer dubs) were to watch the show, I don't think they'd get a different or less favourable impression of the characters due to the voice acting, which is sort of my benchmark. So, I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the rest of the show in the dub.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2006-11-13 at 00:13. Reason: fixed a typo ^^;
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 21:38   Link #11
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

I bet if you watched Utawarerumono in English first you're opinions would be diffrent =\
Old 2006-11-23, 23:46   Link #12
Ezen
Utawarerumono Obsessor D;

Location: Helping Touka kick some ass and listening to: "Kimi Ga Tame"
Send a message via AIM to Ezen Send a message via MSN to Ezen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
I bet if you watched Utawarerumono in English first you're opinions would be diffrent =\
So true.

I think the voices are decent, it's actually one of the better dubs I've seen. The Eluluu thing is really getting on my nerves though. Personally I hate Eruruu's new voice the most, but that's because I just loved how the Japanese voice fit.
Ezen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-24, 02:31   Link #13
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

yea Japanese Voice Eruruu > English

her japanese voice sounds cuter ^_^
Old 2006-11-25, 01:32   Link #14
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

What is the release date for the first DVD? I'd like to pick up the series on DVD.
Old 2006-11-25, 01:40   Link #15
Xerion12
Rawr! And stuff.. D:!

I happen to like this Dub!!
Thanks for the vids. ^-^
Xerion12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 17:40   Link #16
Asrialys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
What is the release date for the first DVD? I'd like to pick up the series on DVD.
January 16.
Old 2006-11-27, 08:10   Link #17
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
January 16.

awesome! Same day for World of Warcraft the Burning Crusade

sweet!
Old 2006-11-28, 09:32   Link #18
Asrialys

Hm...I never noticed before but RightStuf has "'Omake Theatre' Video Short" listed as one of the DVD Volume 1 features...I wonder what that could be...
Old 2006-11-28, 14:13   Link #19
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Hm...I never noticed before but RightStuf has "'Omake Theatre' Video Short" listed as one of the DVD Volume 1 features...I wonder what that could be...
Aww... this is good news. Seems ADV did license the little shorts released on the R2 DVD's. This makes FPB happy
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-29, 16:50   Link #20
Ezen
Utawarerumono Obsessor D;

Location: Helping Touka kick some ass and listening to: "Kimi Ga Tame"
Send a message via AIM to Ezen Send a message via MSN to Ezen
Quote:
January 16.
Me = get. This also makes Ezen happy that they got the little short-movies on the DVD. "Dive. Dive. Dive."
Ezen is offline   Reply With Quote