Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-21, 08:14   Link #1
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Catastrophe manga/anime?

Im looking for mangas / anime about how the main characters try to survive after a catastrophe like a natural disaster 51 Ways to Save Her or even something like Highschool of the Dead (a group of random ppl trying to stay alive from a zombie plague xD).

It doesnt matter what kind of catastrophe or even if the main character is thrown to another world... im interested in what happens after that event and how he manages to stay alive and the interaction with the other characters.
Old 2009-11-21, 08:45   Link #2
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

You've probably already seen Tokyo Magnitude, so...

How about Eden no Ori (Cage of Eden)? Lord of the Flies-esque story about a plane full of high school students being transported to a...very wild island.

It's not natural disaster, but Suicide Island by the mangaka of Holyland is about people who are sent to a completely lawless island after failed attempts at suicide.

Also, the series Alive - Last Evolutionary Boy (also known as just "Alive") starts with a mass disaster. It's not a survival story, though, more like a very well done, more mature style of shounen -- with mystery, romance, comedy, and lots of kickass action. Great stuff, but I'm not sure if it's really what you're looking for.

A little digging around shows a manga called "Dragon Head;" never read it, but it looks like a survival story.
Old 2009-11-21, 10:14   Link #3
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

thx for the suggestions. Eden no Ori and Suicide Island seems what i was looking for but they are so short >.<

Alive seems very interesting.... =D

Any more recommendations?
Old 2009-11-21, 10:19   Link #4
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Bokurano maybe? Not sure how to explain what it's about without spoiling but it is many people dying, about self sacrifice, and of course the romance is there, but in a strange way. You will love this, if you haven't seen this

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...anime&aid=4861

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-11-21, 10:55   Link #5
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

And speaking of Bokurano, it's for the best interest of your mental state to NOT watch that when you're having a bad day.
Old 2009-11-21, 13:51   Link #6
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

You should definately watch Tokyo Magintude 8.0.
Old 2009-11-21, 14:06   Link #7
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I would have to suggest Coppelion. Its got the post-apocalyptic theme you're looking for plus the sci fi and suspense is top notch.
Old 2009-11-21, 14:10   Link #8
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Alive is definitely worth the read. Although right now, there hasn't been a new chapter release for quite awhile... and I don't know when there would be a new translated chapter release if there would be one.
Old 2009-11-21, 19:49   Link #9
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
You should definately watch Tokyo Magintude 8.0.
Just finished watching it and it has been a while since i rated a 10 for an anime The art was really well done and everything that happened till the very end felt so real.

I also started reading Alive but i think ill need couple days till i can pick up another anime / manga. It doesnt feel right to watch / read anything else with this bitter feeling
Old 2009-11-22, 14:58   Link #10
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

King of Thorn
Old 2009-11-22, 15:53   Link #11
-chii-
chii is chii

Jyu Oh Sei
Taiyou no Mokushiroku
Day the Earth Moved

i have no manga suggestions as i don't read a lot of it.
Old 2009-11-22, 16:39   Link #12
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Dragon Head - In the horror of witnessing so many classmates perish before his eyes in a violent train wreck, Teru discovers two survivors in the tunnel: Ako and Nobuo. But salvation from this bloody carnage is far from their grasp. As they try to dig out from the wreck in order to come up with a plan to stay alive, the lack of light and food, combined with the stench of death and decay, will lead one member of the group down a dark and demented path. And with sudden, violent earthquakes shaking the tunnel, escaping to the outside world may lead them to an even greater danger...

Battle Royale - In the future, random Jr. High School classes are chosen to compete in a game called Battle Royale. The rules: only one student can survive after 3 days on an island or else they all perish. Weapons are handed out and each student is sent out into the field alone and unprepared for the horror that awaits them. The classmates turn upon themselves in a battle for survival, treaties are made and broken, and former friends become foes as the relentless countdown continues. Amid the betrayals and rising body count, two classmates confess their love for each other and swear to survive this deadly game together.
Old 2009-11-22, 18:23   Link #13
Hayaku
Ecchi go Boom 0(^.^)0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
And speaking of Bokurano, it's for the best interest of your mental state to NOT watch that when you're having a bad day.
Yes, I agree 100% to what Meo said ^.^ This story will screw you over... I had problems watching it to the end, because of how bad it made me feel

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Old 2009-11-22, 20:56   Link #14
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Cage of Eden and Suicide Island were the kind i was looking for... are there any other similar manga / animes?