AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-06-29, 18:07   Link #1
Kariko

22"-24" Monitor Recommendations

Heys, I'm looking for a nice widescreen monitor and trying to keep it under $200. Vibrant colors and good contrast for anime as well as gaming is what I'm mostly looking for. I don't game that often but still want the option open when I do. And I don't mind black bars on the sides too much as I'm using a 4:3 17" right now.

I was going with this 22" at first because any bigger wouldn't physically fit in the monitor space on this desk, but then I started looking at 23"+ and the choices are huge and 1980 seems better the more I look at it (Yes, I did go see them in a store to make sure it's comfortable to use, not like those 21.5s, although, I never did find a 22"). I would have to switch my monitor to my other desk though, but that's no big deal...

Basically my options are
16:10 or 16:9? Any first hand monitor suggestions?
Kariko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 21:35   Link #2
Revenger1589
otaku against own will

I can't recommend you a specific monitor, but if you can find a 16:10 that doesn't suck, go for it. For a desktop computer, a bigger vertical axis is very useful.

Edit: Also, I think 1680x1050 is a horrible resolution, your player is always going to upscale or downscale videos because it's bigger than 720p but smaller than 1080p. 24" 1920x1200 >* in my opinion.
Revenger1589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 22:31   Link #3
spikexp

For the size, good 24 inch under 200$ are hard to find.
If you want a good and sharp image, it's better to use a screen smaller with a higher resolution (like my 20inch at 1680x1050(god, I love my screen)).
The difference between 16:10 and 16:9, you chose which one you prefer, if you don't mind the 120 lost pixel on a full HD screen. It's all about what you want and if you care a lot about height (I have 1050 pixel and I find it really okay, but the 768 pixel of my laptop is a real pain).
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...nufacture=ASUS

This monitor seem pretty good, the best is too check it in store to see if you like the color and the feeling of the screen.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 23:03   Link #4
Kariko

The ones I mostly find in stores are HP, Dell, Gateway ones, and I'm going on the assumption that superior brands like Samsung, ASUS, etc. will match and/or surpass them.

And I was mostly thinking of a 23" anyways. 20" seems too small for me like 21.5"s at those resolutions and I would much rather have easy on the eyes then sharpness. And I'm on a 1024 height right now, so it wouldn't be too different vertically.
Old 2010-06-30, 00:06   Link #5
spikexp

Asus, samsung, LG, all good screen.
The 20 inch was only and example to a smaller screen with a bigger resolution (20 inch with a 22 inch resolution).
I think you should be just fine with the asus posted above, asus does good screen and you shouldn't have problem with it in any way.

PS. Depending on the shipping fee with ncix, you could go with newegg.ca for 10$ less or do a pricematch on ncix (but i think pricematch void the mail-in-rebate... too lazy to go check... )
Old 2010-06-30, 00:20   Link #6
Kariko

Ah, it is way cheaper on newegg (169 after rebate) but I like NCIX's zero dead pixel policy. That's the only thing I'm afraid of for buying a monitor online, having it arrive in poor condition.
Old 2010-06-30, 09:40   Link #7
spikexp

Yeah, that's a risk, I'm pretty sure newegg can also exchange it if there is a problem, but I've never bought at them so I can't know.
But since newegg is well know I think there shouldn't be any problem.

The zero dead pixel policy cost you to buy express coverage for 10$ + the shipping that cost more at ncix.
But you could do ncix + pricematch at 189.99 + express coverage + shipping, but it will still cost you more at the end.
If i was you, I would buy it at newegg, if there is a problem they will exchange it I'm sure, but it's a good screen so there should be no problem, and if problem come out just use the asus warranty of 3 years.
I have my screen since 3 years(LG) and I have no dead pixel, so you will only have dead pixel if your unlucky, since it's only a small percentage of screen that have problem.
Old 2010-06-30, 09:59   Link #8
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Assuming you game, 1680x1050 is the best resolution to have if you don't have a $300+ GPU. Midrange GPUs can handle running games at native resolution without having to cut off too many effects. You'd need something in the high-range for 1920x1200, though.

If you've got a Radeon 5830 or better though, 1920x1200 is the way to go.
Old 2010-06-30, 10:45   Link #9
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

I'd very adore the brand new LG W2363v
High spec, can switch from your computer display to play the console game just with one button. But the price is quite High. 330$
And I think its not Available yet on market.

Sorry OP, but I think this one will solve what your needs. That why I recommend this one. But Dell ST series is good option too.
Old 2010-06-30, 11:51   Link #10
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Dell U2311H, end thread.

Yes, the MSRP is $100 over your target budget but you can usually get coupons and shit from Dell and save at least $50 or so. For the price you get a 23" 1920x1080 e-IPS panel tiltable to vertical/portrait mode (great if you like to read manga) with good color calibration right out of the box (no need to fuck around with ICC profiles or colorimeters to get it to look right), great gaming performance, great contrast, and a 4-port USB hub thrown in for good measure. An IPS panel of this size for that price has previously been unheard of (its predecessor, the U2410, cost almost twice as much) and is really a fucking steal. It is by far the best bang for your monitor buck you can get right now. I have one myself and it is awesome.

If you're really short on cash I guess you could go with the U2211H instead which is pretty much the same thing (same resolution) but 1.5 inches smaller and $40 cheaper.

Review of the 2311: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm
And of the 2211: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2211h.htm

Required reading for prospective TFT buyers: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226 (2311 and 2211 not featured because it hasn't been updated since they were released in may this year)
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2010-06-30 at 12:05.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 12:20   Link #11
spikexp

Since in it's first post he posts the link to ncix Canada, I suppose he is Canadians.
The Dell U2311 is 340$ can. a lot more than 170 at newegg.ca.
Old 2010-06-30, 15:11   Link #12
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

@TheFluff: Holy crap that is a good price for an IPS panel.
Old 2010-06-30, 18:16   Link #13
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
@TheFluff: Holy crap that is a good price for an IPS panel.
It really is and if this trend continues we can finally say goodbye to TN panels forever soon.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2010-06-30, 18:34   Link #14
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Since in it's first post he posts the link to ncix Canada, I suppose he is Canadians.
The Dell U2311 is 340$ can. a lot more than 170 at newegg.ca.
I have seen the Ultrasharp 2009WA (1680X1050 IPS panel) go for somewhere in the low $200s in Canada before. Problem is that when they do that sort of price, it's always for like 24 or 48 hours, and then it's back into the $300s for quite a long time.

I know the US gets great coupon offers from Dell all the time but I've never found anything similar in this country.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-30, 22:35   Link #15
Kariko

Can someone briefly explain what the different between a TN and an IPS monitor? Googling it gave me complex explanations. :x From what I could tell, it only affects the viewing angle which isn't something I really care about.

That LG monitor looks really nice but the price is a tad high. I'm planning on a new PC by the end of this summer too so any extra money would be nice.

And I'm using an old 9800GT video card right now but the games I play are mostly MMOs with low specs and I don't plan on playing anything demanding for awhile yet.

The main thing that's keeping me from going 16:9 is compatibility. I keep hearing about how 16:10 monitors can switch to a 4:3 mode for older games so it doesn't get stretched, so I'm assuming that those games will look horrible on 16:9. How often does this really happen though?
Old 2010-07-01, 03:57   Link #16
TheFluff

TN and IPS are different technologies used for building a TFT monitor panel. TN is an older technology used in most monitors, while IPS is newer and used to be extremely expensive and only used in monitors intended for professional photo editors and the like.

As for the benefits, an IPS panel is better in almost every possible way; you've already mentioned the viewing angles (which is more significant than you might think), but an IPS panel will also have significantly better contrast, extremely much better color reproduction, better panel uniformity (that is, the monitor performs evenly all over its surface, with no brighter or darker spots etc) etc etc. The only advantage TN panels used to have were lower input lag (good for gaming), but IPS is rapidly catching up on that too and nowadays there's no real perceivable difference if you have a good IPS monitor.

The benefits are particularly big if you watch movies a lot or do color-sensitive things like photo handling or web design. For gaming the difference isn't that big unless you play horror games with dark scenes all over a lot, then you'll get a better experience on an IPS panel because of the better contrast and blacklevels.

Also, any decent widescreen monitor should have a 4:3 mode. I know the U2311H has one.

Old 2010-07-01, 09:41   Link #17
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
Hello.
I have NEC 2490 WUXI2

I bought it as a New Year present to myself (this year). The display is absolutely awesome. It's an ISP monitor and it is much better than Dell.
I also thought that my sony laptop display was nice but it pales in comparison to this.

It's a 16:10 but you won't have any problems with 16:9. I play my japanese xbox 360 using this and the picture is crystal clear. The only thing that happens when you switch from 1920x1200 to 1080p is two black lines on top and bottom of the screen but other than that the picture remains awesome.

Quote:
Also, any decent widescreen monitor should have a 4:3 mode.
And yes, NEC supports scaling in any possible way. You can choose stretched, keep aspect mode, or 1 to 1 picture. So for example if you choose 1 to 1, the resolution such as 640x480 will appear as a small picture at the center of the screen.

ps. The only problem with NEC is that you can't fit it into a $200 budget. If you find 1000 more to your 200 presidents you'll feel much better.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru

Last edited by nikorai; 2010-07-01 at 09:46. Reason: addition
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 10:39   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Any monitor should be able to do 4:3 as long as your video card will let it.

LOL, that NEC is a bit overkill for the OP's purposes. If you're not a professional photographer or graphic designer, I don't really believe you need to spend $1200 on a high-end IPS panel, and a sub-$500 eIPS LCD like the Dell U2311 or the U2209WA is a better bet.
Old 2010-07-01, 10:41   Link #19
TheFluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikorai View Post
Hello.
I have NEC 2490 WUXI2

I bought it as a New Year present to myself (this year). The display is absolutely awesome. It's an ISP monitor and it is much better than Dell.
I also thought that my sony laptop display was nice but it pales in comparison to this.
That's a high-end professional grade photo editing monitor (with a price to match), so it's not that strange that it beats almost everything else in the market

Last edited by TheFluff; 2010-07-01 at 11:44.
Old 2010-07-02, 12:50   Link #20
Kariko

Thanks for all the suggestion but I think I'll go with the 23" ASUS and it's a pretty good price at $169. From the reviews I've seen, it's the best monitor at it's price and I don't really need high-end technology yet. Anything has to be better then this crappy bad-brand 17".