AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Chuunibyou

Notices

View Poll Results: Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 5 14.29%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 14 40.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 17.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 17.14%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 8.57%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.86%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-07, 03:07   Link #21
teja208
Critical fanboy

Yuuta's lack of action this episode is kind of a letdown. Sometime I forget he's Rikka's boyfriend. It would be better if the beach trip continues into another episode. Lack of DekoxShinka also doesn't help. Touka just show up and doesn't contribute much as I expected.

On the brighter side, we have a new development regarding Sophia at the end maybe she will start getting more awkward around Yuuta. Also, watching Rikka conversation with her was quite amusing with Rikka fighting the urge to recover from her chu2byo. There were slight yuri moment between them as Sophia attempted to make Rikka to join her and ditch Yuuta. Rikka even called her Shichimiya at one point lol.

7/10, Guess I expected too much from Yuuta and Touka this episode.
Old 2014-03-07, 07:45   Link #22
novalysis

The scene at the end....

It's evoked a feeling in me not felt since White Album 2.
Old 2014-03-07, 08:10   Link #23
kache
Asobo~
*IT Support

I love this series more with every episode.

Watching at the moment: click on the image.

Old 2014-03-07, 08:24   Link #24
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Fuck, I really wanna root for Sophia. I reallllllly do, but there's just no way she can win.
Old 2014-03-07, 10:18   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Sophia is starting to think that maybe the choice between romantic love and holding tightly unto your chuunibyou persona was a false choice. And so, a part of her is now regretting not trying harder to have both.

Sophia never stopped loving Yuuta, it's just that she felt like she had to choose between him and continuing to be her Chuuni self, and she chose the latter as her greater love.

Sophia likes Rikka, and wants her and Yuuta to be happy together, so I doubt Sophia will really try hard to get back with Yuuta. You'll probably see some angst, awkwardness, and all of that going forward. But I very much doubt you'll see a love triangle on the level of True Tears or Kimi no iru Machi.

In any event, very entertaining episode that was a pleasant watch.
Old 2014-03-07, 10:34   Link #26
teja208
Critical fanboy

Sophia at the end of ep. 3: NYAHAHAHAHAHAHA I will remain unchanged for all eternity!

Sophia at the end of ep. 9: What... WHAT!?

Me: MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Six episodes doesn't sound like eternity to me.

Seriously, the anime is treating LOVE like some kind of chu2byo patient worst nightmare or something.

Wait.. actually come to think of it, it does makes sense from the title. "Despite Chuunibyou, I Want to Fall in Love" guess the anime staffs interpret it as "Can You Fall in Love Despite Chuunibyou?" An interesting take on the story title if you ask me.
Old 2014-03-07, 10:45   Link #27
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Fuck, I really wanna root for Sophia. I reallllllly do, but there's just no way she can win.
i know....she has no chance in winning so why the hell did the creators pull out that plot line for!? now im just gonna feel sorry for her for the rest of the season cause theres no way in hell shes gonna win

10/10 for swimsuit mayhem
-5 for useless plot device
Old 2014-03-07, 10:54   Link #28
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
i dont see that as all "that bad" if as she grow she learn to "control it", and can be good to play with their childrens, my grandfather(and was like my father) he not was a chu2byou but he was very playfull person, aways liked to smile and try do enjoy his life.

i'm not saying who adults walking in street and yelling who their have powers and bla bla bla is good, but knowing where, when and with whom also not bad.

if we take the "grow" context literally then peoples 20+ years watching animes/cartoons or reading mangas and things like that or being fan of heroes really could be completly wrong.
in this context i agree with kyouto, you dont need to lost everything from your childhood or youth to grow, you can keep some things aslong their can't give problems to your life is a matter of balance and grow right.
If she grows up and learns to control her chuunibyou, it's fine. I'm not saying she should completely leave her fantasies behind and become a soulless adult. The problem is that it doesn't look like she intends to grow up. She wants to remain the Tyrant's eye for eternity. She needs to find a balance between somebody like Shinka who denies her past and Satone who refuses to become an adult. This isn't really what happened in this episode in my view. She wants to remain as she is and be Yuuta's lover, so basically have her cake and eat it too. That's not how it works. She has to change, even if only a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
You can either indulge in the fantasy to the point it ruins your real life (like Satone, and most of the target audience) or you can leave your inner child behind completely and "grow up." But the third option, to grow up while keeping at least a part of your inner child with you, is typically presented as the best option. I think Rikka's personal journey is in line with this way of thinking.
Thing is, I'm not seeing a lot of growing up going on. Rikka is the same as she was at the beginning of the season, in chuunibyou mode 90% of the time. Given that she's already 17, this is pretty worrisome. The only reason her chuunibyou isn't ruining her life is that Yuuta is extremely patient and understanding. Once again, she's very lucky to have him.
Old 2014-03-07, 12:33   Link #29
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She needs to find a balance between somebody like Shinka who denies her past and Satone who refuses to become an adult.
In addition to Shinka, Touka's also a good choice to represent the "adult" side of the spectrum, I think - during the first season, despite being unfailingly mature and realistic, she was also a lifeless and worn out husk of a person. Touka's proof that some amount of escapism is likely better than none at all. I think she's doing somewhat better in Ren, though, since the family problems were largely fixed during the original. It was cute whenever she got annoyed because nobody laughed at the joke about the seven year old being her daughter. (I thought it was funny... certainly better than Kumin's puns. And I thought it kind of neat that Touka being 17 or 18 "seven years ago" means that she was probably born in the very late 1980s. We're a dying breed far as important characters in anime go.)
Old 2014-03-07, 13:53   Link #30
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
If she grows up and learns to control her chuunibyou, it's fine. I'm not saying she should completely leave her fantasies behind and become a soulless adult. The problem is that it doesn't look like she intends to grow up. She wants to remain the Tyrant's eye for eternity. She needs to find a balance between somebody like Shinka who denies her past and Satone who refuses to become an adult. This isn't really what happened in this episode in my view. She wants to remain as she is and be Yuuta's lover, so basically have her cake and eat it too. That's not how it works. She has to change, even if only a bit.

Thing is, I'm not seeing a lot of growing up going on. Rikka is the same as she was at the beginning of the season, in chuunibyou mode 90% of the time. Given that she's already 17, this is pretty worrisome. The only reason her chuunibyou isn't ruining her life is that Yuuta is extremely patient and understanding. Once again, she's very lucky to have him.
i'm partially agree with you cuz rikka is showing grow, remember first season when her classmaters started to ignore her and now their are very friendly to her, and how when she is with then she can behavious more "normal", the thing here is who what is matter for rikka is if the person who i like and close friends are "fine with me being like that" then i'm fine.

this is the case here, rikka is change in her way, in a way who when will be needed she can be "normal" but when she dont need it she can be herself, what she feared and what this season showed is who even with "love" you can still being a ch2byou, or chu2byous also can "love", what you need is to find the balance where, when is needed you can be mature and when not needed you can be childshi, even if this is crazy idea.
Old 2014-03-07, 13:53   Link #31
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I agree that there needs to be a balance. 80% of my life, I'm a normal, regular person. I eat, I sleep, I go to work, pay bills and I live in the real world. 20% of my life I spend playing games, reading manga, watching anime and superhero shows, doing tabletop RPGs with my friends, etc. I know magic and the like aren't real, but it's fun to pretend sometimes.

That's where Rikka needs to get, imo. Realize that it isn't real and live as a normal person, but also realize that it's perfectly fine to have fun every now and then. That's what growing up is. I think the problem is they try at times to portray chuu2 as a real thing-- like when Yuuta said he didn't realize it, but Rikka was beginning to "lose her powers". In truth, it should have been, losing her delusions as there were no powers to lose in the first place. It's make believe.
Old 2014-03-07, 14:11   Link #32
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
In addition to Shinka, Touka's also a good choice to represent the "adult" side of the spectrum, I think - during the first season, despite being unfailingly mature and realistic, she was also a lifeless and worn out husk of a person. Touka's proof that some amount of escapism is likely better than none at all. I think she's doing somewhat better in Ren, though, since the family problems were largely fixed during the original. It was cute whenever she got annoyed because nobody laughed at the joke about the seven year old being her daughter. (I thought it was funny... certainly better than Kumin's puns. And I thought it kind of neat that Touka being 17 or 18 "seven years ago" means that she was probably born in the very late 1980s. We're a dying breed far as important characters in anime go.)
talkin smack about Kumin's puns, bruh? Wanna fight, bruh?
Old 2014-03-07, 15:09   Link #33
ellessarr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
I agree that there needs to be a balance. 80% of my life, I'm a normal, regular person. I eat, I sleep, I go to work, pay bills and I live in the real world. 20% of my life I spend playing games, reading manga, watching anime and superhero shows, doing tabletop RPGs with my friends, etc. I know magic and the like aren't real, but it's fun to pretend sometimes.

That's where Rikka needs to get, imo. Realize that it isn't real and live as a normal person, but also realize that it's perfectly fine to have fun every now and then. That's what growing up is. I think the problem is they try at times to portray chuu2 as a real thing-- like when Yuuta said he didn't realize it, but Rikka was beginning to "lose her powers". In truth, it should have been, losing her delusions as there were no powers to lose in the first place. It's make believe.
but actually is indeed a "real thing" in japan, but how their try to portrait, is "more weird" in real life or look more really like a problem, not just something fun :P

this anime is somesort of "hey please dont hate that weird/crazy peoples, their "are peoples" their just a little out of the world
Old 2014-03-07, 16:33   Link #34
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellessarr View Post
but actually is indeed a "real thing" in japan, but how their try to portrait, is "more weird" in real life or look more really like a problem, not just something fun :P

this anime is somesort of "hey please dont hate that weird/crazy peoples, their "are peoples" their just a little out of the world
What I meant, was that they try to portray it like they really do have magical powers, which of course, they don't. The anime even shows that they don't, but everyone seems to act like they do or did at one point. They rarely acknowledge that it was make-believe or a made-up character. I think the only one who did was Nibutani.
Old 2014-03-07, 22:40   Link #35
Gault
inc_mplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I'm with you on this

I would like to see her desires fulfilled however I guess those glimpses at the end is closest we'll get
Old 2014-03-08, 02:40   Link #36
BladeEntity
Anything's Possible
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gault View Post
I'm with you on this

I would like to see her desires fulfilled however I guess those glimpses at the end is closest we'll get
Oh the dilemma I would love to support Satone too buts you also don't see how Rikka can lose especially after the first season. Love triangle just complicates things. I for one hope it doesn't become a full blown problem.
Old 2014-03-08, 02:43   Link #37
The Green One

Satone getting lovesick at the 11th hour of the 2nd season is not a smart place to take this...
Old 2014-03-08, 05:25   Link #38
Anime Online

Only in anime can the choice of hanging on to your chuunibyou for the rest of your life seem like such a great decision.
Old 2014-03-08, 14:22   Link #39
R.LocK
My turn

Just about time for Sophia to ripe. I waited for this for so looong. Hell yes.

Rikka on the other hand... That was so lame. I don't even want to comment on that. It was cute during the first season. It is ridiculous this time around. Damn, I'm frustrated.
Old 2014-03-09, 00:00   Link #40
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Sophia likes Rikka, and wants her and Yuuta to be happy together, so I doubt Sophia will really try hard to get back with Yuuta. You'll probably see some angst, awkwardness, and all of that going forward. But I very much doubt you'll see a love triangle on the level of True Tears or Kimi no iru Machi.
My thoughts exactly. I don't understand why people are crying love triangle this and love triangle that. Pretty sure we aren't going to get any of that idiotic back and forth bullshit you see in most anime. Shichimiya doesn't exist for such a petty reason.