AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

View Poll Results: Higurashi Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 21 30.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 40.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 24.29%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 5.71%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-29, 13:58   Link #1
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Higurashi Episode 22 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Higurashi no Naku Koroni, Episode 22.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for RAWs.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the Game or Manga out of the anime thread. If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the Game / Manga, either PM them or use Spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Usage

Using Spoiler Tags is easy. Using this...

[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use the spoiler title[/spoiler]

....will get you this...

Spoiler for title:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR Higurashi no Naku Koroni
  • Make sure you read the English wikipedia article for Higurashi no Naku Koroni before you ask questions!!!
  • Feel free to utilize the info on the TIPS section as a complement to this series.
  • Feel free to share your theories and speculations. In fact, I encourage you to do so as this is what makes this series interesting.
  • I am designating Sushi-Y and Freakman to lead the discussion in the correct path without spoilers as they have played the game in advance. I put confidence in them that they will recognize a member has spilled the beans too far if any other members has begun to play the game.
  • SPOILERS FAR ADVANCED THAN THE CURRENT AIRED ANIME EPISODE WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THIS INCLUDES THOSE IN SPOILER TAGS!!!. People tend to peek at spoiler tags; especially when they do not know such tag is meant for the episode, only to find it spilling the beans too far advanced in the game storyline.
Old 2006-08-29, 20:51   Link #2
ShadowRift
Aku O Tatsu Tsurugi

Not much to say about this episode except this:

Kasai is the man.
Old 2006-08-29, 20:56   Link #3
Rasuberi
Give me things to draw!!!

Send a message via AIM to Rasuberi
First minute... o__O;

*continues watching*

Edit: Waha~ I feel like I did when I started watching Higurashi. XD

That was the best club activity yet. <3 The penalty game also... Rika-chama and Satoko were 本当にかぁあい!

And Rena... her points are sure adding up in how much I love her. XD She can't compare to Mion in my heart, but uuwa. I loved her little space in the junk mound. Go get Rina, Rena! Rena-chan omochikaeri! (her omochikaeri modes this time was <3 too.)

This episode made my dissapointment with DEEN lessen a bit, even though I still expect them to mess up on the rest of this... .__.; It's nice to see such lively scenes animated though. <3

Last edited by Rasuberi; 2006-08-29 at 21:23.
Old 2006-08-29, 21:00   Link #4
LuckyCat
Wise Kitty Cat

Rena is badass. The return of a happy Shion is welcome. I wish I could understand more of the conversation in the restaurant.

The penalty game penalty was great. Need to get some screen caps of that
Old 2006-08-29, 22:33   Link #5
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

O_o

Amazing, for once, I actually think they did a really good job with the episode. Hell, they even did Rena's confession scene at the dump in the beginning, just like it was in the game (although it's probably only natural, since they always do a spoiler scene at the beginning of every new scenario. But still, that intro was big for me in Tsumihoroboshi, so I'm very glad to see it in the beginning). To be picky, the scene felt a little too tense and aggressive, whereas my memory of the game intro was a very soft and melancholic one (probably because of the music).

The only unfortunate thing was that they had to practically cut out Rena's entire reminiscence of her childhood, leaving only a couple of short cutscenes. And they skipped her accounts about what happened between her and Oyashirosama completely.

But looking at the other parts of the episode, I realize that this can't be helped: if they tried to cover Rena's past more, then the other parts of the episode will be inevitably cut out. And considering how much I liked how they covered the other scenes (they did an especially good job with the water gun fight, and the cafe scene, because a large amount of the episode was devoted to them), I can't complain.

The sakuga quality for this episode is also far more stable compared to others (or maybe it's just because I'm used to seeing Shion's face collapse ). Shion's colorful expressions and Rena's "..gu!" at the very end were all very nice. See? you don't have to resort to weird faces to have a dramatic effect.

Rina's voice felt a little too mature at times, but generally, it matched her image well.

- 50 points for not showing Rena-pan.
- 50 points for not showing Mion's cheap-ass water machingun

but

+ 50 points for: Rena: 「見直したより、惚れ直したの方が嬉しいかな!」
+ 100 points for faithfully reproducing the punishment game costumes.
+ 200 points for faithfully reproducing maid maniac Iri.

Next week preview, ...they're going that far already?
Old 2006-08-30, 04:38   Link #6
Eleutheria
旅行癖

I really need subs for this one, since I didn't get most of the dialogue.

What I think I got out of it:
Spoiler:

And yes, Kasai is the man.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-30, 05:24   Link #7
stipl

In Tsumihoroboshi arc, Rena became as Kenchi. Answer everthing in Onikakushi arc but as reverse situation.
Old 2006-08-30, 06:00   Link #8
Eleutheria
旅行癖

Quote:
Originally Posted by stipl
In Tsumihoroboshi arc, Rena became as Kenchi. Answer everthing in Onikakushi arc but as reverse situation.
Hmm, yes, thanks for quoting the wikipedia.
Old 2006-08-30, 09:11   Link #9
sagematt
Magician of Words

Great episode, kinda makes me forget that they will ultimately screw up anyways.
Old 2006-08-30, 10:10   Link #10
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

How low can Rina's pants go? And Rena in her black jumpsuit was definitely a surprise... She looks good in it, but I still recommend a skirt. As for Dr. Lolipedofin Irie, I wouldn't mind borrowing Rena's cleaver and personally going after him now.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-08-31 at 21:13.
Old 2006-08-30, 15:33   Link #11
Shuin4
You faked all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
O_o

Amazing, for once, I actually think they did a really good job with the episode. Hell, they even did Rena's confession scene at the dump in the beginning, just like it was in the game (although it's probably only natural, since they always do a spoiler scene at the beginning of every new scenario. But still, that intro was big for me in Tsumihoroboshi, so I'm very glad to see it in the beginning). To be picky, the scene felt a little too tense and aggressive, whereas my memory of the game intro was a very soft and melancholic one (probably because of the music).
Speaking of the beginning, I really liked the music they played. I couldn't understand it (I watched the raw to do a sort-of test on my Japanese skills, and because it's rena) but I kind of got that the last line may have been something like "Ryuguu Rena will do her best to start a happy life" (not sure, but i know the speech did have to deal with happiness)

The rest of the episode was pretty good, and I can already assume that

Spoiler:
Old 2006-08-30, 15:48   Link #12
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
lols at Irie's omochikaeri mode
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang
And Rena in her black jumpsuit was definitely a surprise... She looks good in it
I think so too!!

Too bad we didn't get to see Rena's super chubby hands of death in action. That would be so cute

Lot's of plus points for Satoko from me in this episode.

That smirk she had right there is so awesome. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiosai
The penalty game penalty was great. Need to get some screen caps of that
Hai nanodesuyo

It would have been nice with Rena maid cosplaying too

But we got something even better:

Super agent 007th in action
Rena is coolest after all!!
They even gave her the cool gun girl pose

Rena!! If I would get a Rena figurine it would have to be in that pose

And this expression here is just priceless. It chaotically mixes the insides of me with sharp :fear: and chubby :cuteness:

I don't know what else to say. It's like the animators found out my weakness
So much omochikaeriiiiiness, it made me want to go into *omochikaeriiii* mode too several times. And also lots of kana kananess from Rena
They even equiped Rena with the kanakanakana laughter **
plus point +++++++++++
yep, they definitely found out my weakness *worries*

Now I don't know what else to do other than rewatching untill I can see Rena's bloody cleaver in action...O_o
*expects a lot of bloody awesomeness next episode*
Old 2006-08-30, 17:53   Link #13
Wanderer
Goat

I'm another one of those people who is still just practicing Japanese in these raws. It'll be a long week waiting for LostBlue-sama and the rest of the WinD crew to sub this one.

But, whoa, after Meakashi-hen I did not expect a format like this... I had managed so far to not be spoiled as to which question arc Tsumihoroboshi-hen answers (though, since it is Rena-centric it seems like it answers Onikakushi-hen). I was expecting something like Meakashi-hen where we would see (more or less) the same events from someone else's perspective. Once again I have to give kudos to the Higurashi writer(s) for keeping me off balance.

And what a preview teaser! I love how one brief image can invoke so much anticipation. It looks like we're gonna actually see Rena's nasty looking knife put into action! Though, judging by Sushi-Y's response they're gonna skip a lot. Makes sense, considering they're only putting 5 episodes for Tsumihoroboshi-hen

Anyway, I'm really exited to see what's next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuin4
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Also, I've just seen Onikakushi-hen again recently and I've noticed a couple possible patterns for the trigger to K1's insanity.
Pattern 1- The more K1 hid from Rena and Mion, the more his level of insanity would increase.
Pattern 2- Every time K1 spoke with Ooishi, his level of insanity would increase.

In Onikakushi-hen, the whole thing is about secrets and trust. The less that K1 trusted Rena and Mion, the more nuts he would get. Whether it was with malice or not, Ooishi was always undermining that trust.

In Watanagashi-hen/Meakashi-hen, K1 trusted his friends until the very end. He believed in Mion even when he thought that Mion was a torturous murderer and was gonna kill him. Unlike K1 though, Shion mistrusted Mion and her family... and she went crazy. Takano was the one undermining Shion's trust this time.

As for Tatarigoroshi-hen, K1's trust of his friend's was never really questioned. What happened in Tatarigoroshi-hen I am pretty certain was a different thing than what happened in Onikakushi-hen. The only person I think who may have had the Onikakushi-hen "curse" was Satoko.

Now the question is: Is this mistrust another symptom of the "curse"? Or is it related to the cause?

Well I've written enough, and should stop now. Just one more thing:

Quote:
I don't know how others might feel about it, but to me, this is a spoiler. I have been avoiding reading the yet-aired arc descriptions on wiki for this very reason.
Old 2006-08-30, 18:12   Link #14
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Quote:
I don't know how others might feel about it, but to me, this is a spoiler. I have been avoiding reading the yet-aired arc descriptions on wiki for this very reason.
That's ok, because it's not really true. The main character of Tsumihoroboshi-hen is indeed Rena, but the story is certainly not "Rena becoming Keiichi and doing the stuff Keiichi did in Onikakushi-hen". Their circumstances may appear similiar, but their stories aren't the same.

*phew, that's better*
Old 2006-08-30, 18:32   Link #15
Shuin4
You faked all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer

Spoiler:
Oh wow, I completely forgot about that!

Spoiler:

I still have no idea where this arc is going though. But I do like how all the chapters have a different theme to them

Onikakushi= Paranoia
Watanagashi= Love/Revenge(though we don't know it was revenge at first)
Tatarigoroshi= Protecting your friends, even if it meant going to the extreme
Himatsubishi= i guess it can be Trust, though the arc was pretty much just a flashback
Meakashi= Love/Revenge, again, but the story was told from the killer's POV
Tsumihoroboshi= Happiness
Old 2006-09-02, 01:06   Link #16
solwyvern
▲wight
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
O_o

well, I've seen the raw, and I understood very little, but...
I'm in love with Rena all over again. ○_○
Really, I can't believe how well that scene went. It almost felt like watching Higurashi for the very first time.
I am really glad that they used that song as the Background for that scene. It went so perfectly.

And the water-gun fight scene was just amazing. I can only imagine how the fight between Rena and K1 will go. This episode has surely jolted me back up, especially since the previous arcs were not following my expectations..

Quote:
O_o
Next week preview, ...they're going that far already?
*sigh* I have an ominous feeling... I want to see more! >_<;

I couldn't help myself. Made a quick-vector of that scene. I'll fix it up later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimfe
I don't know what else to say. It's like the animators found out my weakness
So much omochikaeriiiiiness, it made me want to go into *omochikaeriiii* mode too several times.
You and me both, arimfe, you and me both.

Last edited by solwyvern; 2006-09-02 at 01:22.
Old 2006-09-03, 10:31   Link #17
PU-36PlotDevice
Angel's Egg

A small detail and not important, I'm sure, but one of the things that stood out to me while watching this episode: one of the items on the pile that Rena's dad was saying that he was going to throw out was the Kenta-kun figure that Rena was trying to dig out of the trash dump in the first story arch. The left lens of its glasses was broken just like the original doll in the dump.

It maked me wonder: in this arch, I guess Keiichi must have helped her dig it out before the story starts?
Old 2006-09-04, 15:19   Link #18
LostBlue
祭囃子

Finally saw the EP. ^__________________^ 10

Reina's past was the only major thing skipped which is understandable considering the time constraint. Actually, I think those flashback scenes gave a good feel for the short amount of time dedicated to them.

Reina's past should go up in the TIPs section... It's a bit fast how far they'll go with the next EP but being that there is only 4 EPs left the pacing is about right.

My only wish they kept the momentary silence before Rena started her speech. The description of everyone's expression was very... sentimental. Keiichi looking around, Satoko squatting on the ground, Mion looking away, Rika starring into space looking straight up in the sky... with a difficult expression on her face. The everyone following her lead before Rena breaks the silence with her speech. It was powerful, but not terrible important. Loved the EP.
Old 2006-09-06, 07:10   Link #19
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
A great episode - it just draws you in.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-09-06, 09:11   Link #20
i0td

First half was just too much fun. It's been ages since there has been a club activity with bonus penalty game. What a hot duel at the end. And just watching Satoko be the tough girl, Rika with her adorable smile, and Rena's i-want-to-take-you-all-home attitude has made my day .

But unfortunately, all happy moments must come to an end sooner or later. And in this case, it was just too soon . Having never read the manga or played the game, it was quite depressing for me to learn about Rena's past and present situation. Oh why oh why does she have to take up shelter in such a sad and empty place... why do all these terrible things have to happen to sweet Rena... but the story has now been set up and I cheer Rena on. Please be happy.
Closed Thread