AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-06-28, 23:35   Link #41
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Still the best post in this thread. The majority of the comments so far continue to confuse the flaws of specific shows with the shortcomings of an entire medium. So yeah, like james0246, what do I hate about anime? The fans.
Usually, I don't "hate" the fans... but I sometimes find them embarrassing in behavior or even hard to look at when they're doing some extraordinarily crappy cosplay (violating rule of character disrespect ). This is an anime con problem I have that dates back to Ye Olde Sci-Fi and Comic cons of the 70s.

As far as anime itself, yeah what james0246 says... many of the complaints seem confused (especially when labeling a genre one doesn't like ... you look less goofy if you can at least properly describe what you don't like).
Many series contain multiple elements (mecha, romance, drama, comedy, characters that generate 'moe' in the viewer, etc) so being overly simplistic usually gets you into trouble.
Old 2010-06-29, 00:49   Link #42
james0246

Does anyone else find it a little odd that we have two competing threads that diametrically oppose each other? First came "How do you deal with anime haters?" and now we have "What do you hate about anime?".
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 02:29   Link #43
Ending

If there is something that I dislike in the recent animes it has to be the excessive pantyshots. It's usually a young schoolgirl too, which makes me wonder if the producers are friends of Pedobear. Also... pantyshots do absolutely nothing to the story. If they don't have anything to say they only waste my time.

Predictability. The biggest reason why I can't get into anime anymore, period. When I started it was all great and whatnot, but after watching different series for six years I can recognize how the story will go from the first episode. E.g: if it's a harem anime, then there is bound to be only one "true" love for the protagonist. Which spoils the entire thing.

Or if it's an action anime, then the hero has to be so fast that nothing can touch him. Or if something touches it has to be for the dramatic effect that lasts exactly five second until the hero beats the crap out of anything and everything. Including the guy who had been invincible just a moment ago.

I also hate the antagonists, but not because of their role. I hate them because they are always made thoroughly evil and nothing like a normal human being. A caricatyre. They are also too random, often appearing out of nowhere for no reason other than to piss you off (so that the hero has something to beat the crap out of). Worse, sometimes they become sidekicks and or humorous side-characters, which is just lame. Especially if they wanted to kill everything the hero represents one episode before. So instead of killing the bitch the hero takes him/her in.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 03:05   Link #44
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
LOL... I would suggest you expand your anime experience. You won't find 'the hero dies' titles watching anything mainstream like Naruto, DBZ.

Problem is, you can't really ask for suggestions because then you'd be spoiled, now wouldn't you.
Heh... I knew I should have stayed away from this topic. I'm quoting myself because I got neg-rep for that. Now, I will agree, that was a bit of butthead way to try and make my point... so fine, I'll take the hit on that one with no regrets.

However, the comment that was left was, "51 and watching anime? really?"

Yes, my dear anonymous neg-repper, not only do I still watch anime, I collect figures and wall scrolls and things, too. Go ahead and fault me for making a snarky remark, but to try and get to me for my age just makes you a first class ignoramus.

Oh! I guess this little incident has given me something to actually add to this topic. I hate anime forum members who judge me for my age.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:21   Link #45
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

And that just goes to show what james, TinyRedLeaf and Vexx were saying all along.

Chin up, Mushi. Ignore the haters.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 03:33   Link #46
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Chin up, Mushi. Ignore the haters.
LOL... ignore the haters in a thread about hating? Nonsense!

I'm just being sarcastic about my "hate," I hope you all know.

I could hide my age and not have to hear about it anymore, but I display it so I can do my part in letting the community know how diverse we are. I don't mind taking some grief for it now and then, it comes with the territory.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:37   Link #47
Omusubi

I agree with Theowne.

Shows for adults can't make much money.
”Bad money drives out good."
Omusubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 03:43   Link #48
janipani

Too much loli, too much harem and too many hasted adaption of hit mangas.

-Best anime was made in 80s-
janipani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 03:55   Link #49
Omusubi

This is related with Japanese economy. Many JP Anime studios had financial capability to make experimental/explorative shows, until they experience the economy crash on 1990.

These days, they don't have money. loli,harem,moe anime is swift earner for them. So....
Omusubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 04:23   Link #50
Mihara Yuki
I...I don't know...
*Fansubber

Send a message via Yahoo to Mihara Yuki
When they make dakimakura out of it..

I support Black Battler
Mihara Yuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 04:28   Link #51
janipani

Omusubi, Hollywood studios have lots of money even today, and they still keep producing light headed average crap. I think the greediness is one of the reasons. People today care more about money than the glory of getting something great done. When movies or anime were invented they were new tools to express yourself, now they are tamed to be just money sources. It's the self rotting capitalism.

Old 2010-06-29, 06:44   Link #52
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
When movies or anime were invented they were new tools to express yourself, now they are tamed to be just money sources.
There is nothing new about the conflict between an artist's desire for the freedom of expression and the interests of "the business." It has been going on since the glory days of film making in the early 20th century.

Every once in a while you have an independent come along who retains a lot of creative control over their work, Shinkai Makoto for example (who takes yeeears to make a film), but for the most part, directors NEED money to see their visions through and that means cooperation with studios and their resources.

Quote:
It's the self rotting capitalism.
Oh, puh-leezzz!

If it wasn't for the "self-rotting capitalism," you'd be getting a dozen or so titles to chose from each year, instead of the two or more dozen you get each season.
Old 2010-06-29, 06:57   Link #53
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by janipani View Post
Omusubi, Hollywood studios have lots of money even today, and they still keep producing light headed average crap.

Yeah, when you have titles like The Hangover, the upcoming Scott Pilgrim vs The World and other pearls you may have missed, you have every rights to complain, right?

Did it ever occur to you that you have to dig through shit and garbage to find the diamonds?
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 08:07   Link #54
janipani

No reason to lose your temper. I know there are diamonds among big loads of garbage, but I have tendency to see things edgier than they are. This goes along with the line "self-rotten capitalism" too.

Old 2010-06-29, 08:17   Link #55
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
LOL... ignore the haters in a thread about hating? Nonsense!

I'm just being sarcastic about my "hate," I hope you all know.

I could hide my age and not have to hear about it anymore, but I display it so I can do my part in letting the community know how diverse we are. I don't mind taking some grief for it now and then, it comes with the territory.
HAH! I was called a "dirty old man" by one pathetic little anon negrep for showing interest in one series. Seems we have at least one "age prejudiced" little lamer in the shadows

But really, your remark about "expand your horizons" was spot on --- if one has only seen a handful of anime then one looks rather silly drawing sweeping generalizations from that. Then again.... we've got some people who can't even accurately describe what they hate
Old 2010-06-29, 08:29   Link #56
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Wow there some highlight on this thread, I don't want to disturb

What I hate in anime : people without nose, just that.

*run, and continue watch some GAR member (u-know-who) pawning everyone. "
Old 2010-06-29, 09:02   Link #57
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
HAH! I was called a "dirty old man" by one pathetic little anon negrep for showing interest in one series. Seems we have at least one "age prejudiced" little lamer in the shadows
Yeah, he did a rant on me too for defending women and told me that being a teen would be a better career path. Trolling and the Internet - they go hand in hand.
Last Sinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-29, 09:39   Link #58
janipani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Character Balancing and Focus

The thing that annoys me the most that some popular characters completely overtake the manga because the author loves them too much or just something to place the fans. Usually when you have a lot characters, some characters especiially in shonen get shafted or just plain never seen again. Some manga such as Negima are able to focus on a lot of characters although it isn't completely free from the 'Put on the Bus' thing, it was very well done when it came to giving an equal amount focus to the many characters in the manga. The author/writer should give focus to the other characters in their work and not a few characters carry the manga but also not abuse the characters to the point where the suffer derailment.
Yeah I too agree with you that Naruto has failed.

Old 2010-06-29, 09:48   Link #59
zette

It's been mentioned many times in this thread, but yeah I can't stand blatant fanservice. I do like to see some fanservice from time to time but it's annoying when it's done excessively. I don't mind fanservice that actually fits the scene and is done subtly (eg. in Clannad where the girls were stretching in the drama club room and there were close-up shots on their boobs), but when it's terribly obvious (eg. Haruhi series with all those bunny girl / waitress / maid outfits for Mikuru), then there's a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katz View Post
The only thing I really don't like about anime is the social stigma that goes along with it. I guess anime is considered weird/nerdy and usually I don't tell people I like anime unless I know that they do also, or I know that they're decent people who won't care (generally my friends know but not acquaintances don't).
This. I hate how it's almost impossible to tell someone who is not an anime fan that you like anime without them going 'lol nerd'.
Old 2010-06-29, 10:42   Link #60
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
HAH! I was called a "dirty old man" by one pathetic little anon negrep for showing interest in one series.
Hehe... yeah, watch out for those old farts who have avatars of cute, winking girls.

Quote:
It's been mentioned many times in this thread, but yeah I can't stand blatant fanservice... (eg. Haruhi series with all those bunny girl / waitress / maid outfits for Mikuru)
You really thought Haruhi had intolerable fanservice!?

I used to feel put off by fanservice, back in my days when I preferred action/sci-fi/drama/paranormal titles, mostly. But then, I began to "expand my horizons" and found out what a hopeless romantic I was. Naturally, I began to watch a lot more harem/moe/slice of life type stuff.

I eventually came to accept the fanservice as part of the way things were. There are degrees of it in different series, and I usually decide how seriously I'm going to take it as soon as I figure out what the degree is. If it's light, I go along with it. If it's being shoved down my throat (like the panty-shot-per-minute in episode one of Rosario+Vampire), then I basically ignore it... if the rest of the series has some redeeming quality of some kind.

So, being the old fart that I am, if the story and characters are something I think I can get into, I basically brush off the fanservice as something intended for the younger crowd, and focus on getting the most out of the other elements of the series -- art/direction/seiyuu/story/characters/music/etc.