AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-11-26, 14:07   Link #2041
subwaygyal

just read the book called "The Lamb" really funny and interesting, a parody of jesus childhood written by his best friend perspective.
subwaygyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-04, 16:17   Link #2042
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

read the first two books of the mortal instruments and that has been a waste of my time. kept thinking throughout city of bones that it would get better and it just kept getting worse. and then when it came to the second book city of ashes that they would not make a second if it was not good and finally had to drop it after finishing the second book. the writing is so bad. the author ruined what could have been good by adding the wrong metaphors and similes, and she has no concept of what a Prose is.

moved onto H.I.V.E and The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel.
finished the first H.I.V.E Higher Institute of Villainous Education. and now reading The Overlord Protocol.
The Alchemyst was very good as well. reading The Magician now.

after i finish this i'm debating as to moving onto Don Quixote, Barsoom or Dune.
Old 2011-12-04, 17:02   Link #2043
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Cell & The Dead Zone, both Stephen King. And, jesus, knowing the fact I didn't like the Dark Tower, it really surprised me that I found these two to become some of my top favorites. King has the unprecedented ability to "put" the reader into the world. I can't count the hours I stayed up way too late just because I couldn't put them down. So now I need to read a lot more from him.

Currently on The Passing by Justin Cronin. Didn't know about the guy until my mom recommended this book. And, like King, I can't put the damn thing down...

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-13, 09:47   Link #2044
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

War and Peace by Tolstoi.
Old 2011-12-13, 15:27   Link #2045
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Scarecrow and the Army of Thieves by Matthew Reilly

Probably not Reilly's best work - Ice Station is still my favourite - but it was good to see a few new characters introduced who didn't die a fiery death.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-15, 02:06   Link #2046
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Kate Moss' The crypt. What starts out as slightly good turns AMAZINGLY boring, because of two things. First is the writing style of every page being at least half a page full of descriptions, which really drags out a lot more than I'd like...and then there's the supposedly intriguing plot, split in two time periods, each with two different places of action, resulting in a 4-way story. Reading the first 40 chapters hasn't been so exciting, and if you have to get to the middle of a book for it to get good, that says a lot about its quality.

EDIT: The other 60 chapters were just as boring, what a waste of my time.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2011-12-19 at 11:26.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-19, 05:29   Link #2047
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Comme un roman by Dannie Pennac and Les belles Images by Simonne de Beauvoir, as much as I did appreciated the former, the latter was under my expectation.
Old 2011-12-19, 16:54   Link #2048
Suomi
Kaiba

Finished Inheritance a while ago, then Mastiff, the third and final book in Tamora Pierce's Beka Cooper series, the last series currently in the overarching series called the Tortall Legends. Now re-reading all the Tortall Legends. Finished the Song of the Lioness quartet and now on the third Immortals book, Emperor Mage. Also going to read Crown of Earth by Hilari Bell because I read Shield of Stars and Sword of Waters a while ago and I couldn't just abandon it. Next up, after finishing the Immortals, is the Mortal Instruments series, beginning with City of Bones.
Old 2011-12-19, 17:03   Link #2049
kayote
Looking for ONE PIECE

finished The Warlock, 5th The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. very good read.

have finally started Harry Potter. never read it before. 1st book is good so far. am liking J.K.R's writing style.

H.I.V.E book 2 The Overlord Protocol is good as well. though i think that's gonna go on the back burner, I feel Potter fever coming on.
Old 2012-01-04, 17:19   Link #2050
Oblivion

Is there a book that is an opposite to George Orwell's 1984? Seeing as how it talks about one extreme, I'm curious as to what the other would be like?
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 17:36   Link #2051
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
Is there a book that is an opposite to George Orwell's 1984? Seeing as how it talks about one extreme, I'm curious as to what the other would be like?
Perhaps Lord of the Flies? It is about a bunch of kids stranded on an isolated island. Unwatched and unsupervised by adults, they organize themselves from scratch but the society eventually falls apart. The book has an interesting take on nature of humans and society.

---

I just finished reading Jerusalem: the Biography by Simon Sebag-Montefiore. Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in history of the city that is in some ways the centre of the world.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-04, 23:16   Link #2052
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Alcools, a compilation of poems by Apollinaire and Clair de Lune by Maupassant
Old 2012-01-06, 02:45   Link #2053
Marulash

Recently finished And Then There Were None and Hercule Poirot's Christmas, both by Agatha Christie. I thought they were pretty interesting.

I'm looking for some more whodunit/locked-room-mystery books, anyone recommend any?
Marulash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 00:13   Link #2054
Davkilla101

I finished reading "Invasion" by Robin Cook Which is a Medical Thriller (Though this certainly wasn't one of his best works, I'd recommend for people to read his book "Coma" instead), and I am now currently reading "The Last Samurai", Which, I have to say, I find pretty funny (I can't say what it's about though since I've no clue and am only in like the 1st or 2nd chapter).
Old 2012-01-08, 02:51   Link #2055
Suomi
Kaiba

Ohmygoodness.
Reading Mortal Instruments trilogy by Cassandra Clare (City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels...) and the prequel/companion series, Infernal Devices (Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince...
I just finished CoA and am reading Clockwork Angel, then CoG, then Clockwork Prince, then CoFA...

They are amazing. My friends got me into them and now it's an obsession. The story line is somewhat similar to Blue Bloods but much better/more interesting IMO.
Definitely recommend them!
Old 2012-01-08, 10:20   Link #2056
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Just finished George Martin's Game of thrones, it was quite a good read although it ended abruptly. Never saw that cliffhanger ending coming...and thankfully, I have another two books to read, otherwise I would be a very very angry reader right now.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 05:14   Link #2057
Noi

Currently reading A book of shadows, I still have like 10 bucks I have to finish reading from last year.
Noi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 14:32   Link #2058
Snow_Storm
Welcome to primetime!

Thinking about reading "There Eyes Where Watching God" and "Invisible Man". The former because it was lying in my room while I'm cleaning it and the later was a gift from a friend from 2008 and I have yet to read it, sadly.

Snow_Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:28   Link #2059
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Ready, Player One and Halo:Glasslands, so basically my mind is effed up right now.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 18:57   Link #2060
FireChick

I'm reading John Boyne's The Boy In The Striped Pajamas.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books