AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Aquarion EVOL - Episode 26 [End] Rating
Perfect 10 25 27.47%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 17.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 7.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 12 13.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 10 10.99%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 6.59%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.20%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 2.20%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 11 12.09%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-25, 05:33   Link #201
OMG_Zerg_Rush

I just realized....after all this Amata and the others (except for Mikono) didn't know that Zessica had her body stolen and used by Mikage
Old 2012-06-25, 06:54   Link #202
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Two things that I'm still curious about this episode...

> Aquarion Love could cry?!
> Shu could fly?!
Old 2012-06-25, 06:54   Link #203
ReddyRedWolf

LOL I'm getting too old for this. Crea is Rena! The teleportation proved it.

The way I see it part of Apollo, Sirius and Touma's souls remained in the Aquarion. But part of Apollo and Touma reincarnated as they have issues.

It is similar to Apollonius death inside the Aquarion. His soul remained but part of it reincarnated into Fudo.

The big question is what is Crea? We know now she is in fact Rena. She's been alive long before the Great Incident that granted powers to Elements. Also she was the one who pointed Silvia to Apollo with a vision. (End of the OVA, Prologue of TV series)

Crea/Rena has been watching Fudo all these 24,000 years. Unlike Fudo she is proactive. Willing to unite with Aquarion pilots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
> Shu could fly?!
Definitely not a cat. I can't believe Shu is the third pilot for this chapter!

Whether its Apollonius and Celiane or Apollo and Silvia (OVA) their love could destroy the world without a third pilot to keep them grounded they should not destroy the world.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:03   Link #204
tootbrush

Location: In a better place. Like the beach. But NOT the moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoChan View Post
This is ridiculous. How come the poll says that Aquarion EVOL has more positive feedbacks while majority of the posters here says negatively?
Those are the people that never took Aquarion seriously in the first place and were basically in it for the absurdity of it all, laughed at all the trolling in EVOL (and at the people on the forums overthinking it) and moved on. Since I'm one of them, I'm quite satisfied. The rage and tears of the Zessica fans were especially delicious.

Well, at least until the next Aquarion, starring Shush as the female protagonist and Celiane/Silvia/Mikono as the male one. It's gonna be a riot.
Old 2012-06-25, 07:05   Link #205
Destined_Fate

Man you're a real piece of work if you believe anyone is crying over what happened. Regardless, Evol was bad but there's always hope that Terada will fix it in the future. He has done these things before with great effect so even a trainwreck like Evol isn't beyond fixing when in the hands of someone who's competent.

And there wont be another Aquarion. The main player has left the stage and no one is left to replace them unless they decide to make Zessica into an all powerful pissed off goddess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastek66 View Post
You now realize this can be also Kagura
Spoiler for kawamori you sick bastard:
The losers settling for someone they don't know or care for because the main pairing decided they should troll it up, eh?
Old 2012-06-25, 07:19   Link #206
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Two things that I'm still curious about this episode...

> Aquarion Love could cry?!
Well, on the 'Ippatsu Gyakuten Hen' movie, the original Solar Aquarion could sing and its song make flowers and plants growth, so......
Old 2012-06-25, 08:03   Link #207
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I've given this ep a 9. I adored this ep, but there were some weaknesses in the writing and a few problems carried over from previous eps that prevented me from giving it a 10.

What I liked:

- Mykage's mind has Escher stairs. Oh Mykage, so much style.
- SHRADE. Even dead, you bring sparkle to the series. Sparkly butterflies, even. So cool.
- Those Shrade/Cayenne moments were handled so well. I'm impressed.
- DEAR FRIENDS GATTAI!
- Yes, Shrade is just that cool. And Amata sounds so entranced by him that Cayenne should be worried that his dead man might get stolen.
- Crea in action just like Rena was! Yes!
- "You don't deserve to get killed over the likes of Amata." I don't dislike Amata, but Kagura was spot on there.
- As of part way through this ep, Zessica is no longer an angstbucket! YES. SHE SMILED! Cons: she turned cheerful again the very moment that the plot no longer required her to angst suicidally. That was cheap, and it makes all her angst before look even sillier than it already did. But I'll take it, since it means we have happy Zessica again.
- Silvia! Silvia showed up! And Apollo, Sirius and Toma!
- Mykage's angry? Oh no, he's bringing out the rainbow coloured feathers!
- Mykage got defeated by a Care Bear Stare. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
- Mikono and Amata were pretty cute together this ep (if subtracting the annoying name calling). I'm glad they got a good ending.
- I liked Apollonius' choice to take Mykage within himself. He's finally taking some action and some responsibility. Cons: It didn't sound very ship-worthy. More like the "Damn, I tried to get out of this, but I'd better clean up this Mykage-mess that my ex-fiance Toma left on the carpet."
- Fudo/Apollonius' troll there at the very end was glorious.

What I didn't like:
- Mykage gets a Buddha palm attack? He may be an angel, but he's no Buddha...
- All of this "Mikono-san!" "Amata-kun!" makes me feel as if I'm watching Fushigi Yuugi again.
- There were multiple very cheap shots of Zessica's boobs when she was stuck in that plant. Seemed disrespectful towards her. (Well, given the first op sequence where she gets introduced by waggling her bottom and jiggling her boobs at the camera, I suppose that should be expected of the animators for this series...Still annoying.)
- I honestly don't get why Kagura had so much of a change of heart. There was no reason for it that I could see.
- What is it with all the "reincarnations shouldn't be seen as the same person" stuff in Genesis, and then having Mikono apologise for everything Celiane and Silvia ever did? Yeesh.
- I am disappointed that we didn't get to see a Mikonokage.
- I'm also disappointed that most characters only played a token role in the resolution to the series. MIX and Andy just opened some holes, Kagura gave Amata a reverse-power boost, etc. But I suppose that was necessary for all the cast to get to do something, which also counts as a plus. (Sparkly butterfly Shrade is never a negative!)

I am beginning to think that the writers really hate women getting an active plot role. Zessica? Eaten by a damn great carnivorous plant in Mykage's mind, languishing naked and wishing for death. Mikono? Caught in a "violation gattai" then literally stuck as a window. A WINDOW. When you have to stick your female protagonists in carnivorous plants and turn them into windows in order to keep them from influencing the story, you have problems, Kawamori. Annoying. At least in Genesis Silvia and Reika got to do more, even though I think Silvia didn't get enough combat.

For a moment there, I was worried that we were going to get Mykage defeated by being talked out of it by Mikono. Thank goodness it didn't happen and we got an excellent conclusion brought in by Apollonius/Fudo instead.

What this ep did well was involve all of the cast members and give them a moment in the spotlight. I also loved seeing the ending where we find out how the characters are. So MIX is a girl again? Maybe Kagura used his reverse powers. I liked seeing all the cast together and happy. Until this ep, I think EVOL had been suffering from not making the cast feel like a big group working together. But many characters managed to work together this time.

One thing I liked about this ep in regard to Amata and Mikono, and which I wish there had been more focus on, is the way that their previous lives have been influencing them in this one. This ep had Amata thinking that the abandonment he went through was so he could learn how he/Apollo made Sylvia feel. And although it wasn't stated, we might be able to infer that one of the reasons behind Mikono's constant guilt and lack of confidence is because of what Sylvia may have seen as her role in sending Apollo and her brother off to sacrifice their lives. This should have been explored with more nuance.

So, we probably have a future Zessica/Kagura end? They seemed to get along well. Kagura seems to value Zessica, and Zessica seemed happy when interacting with him this ep. Good for them, if so. Although I still, still don't understand why Kagura has changed so much. Maybe it's because Mykage's gone? He did have a vast negative impact on the kid. Anyway, Zess/Kag seems like a pair the spares sort of move, but then, EVOL never had proper love triangles anyway, and it's hardly the weakest writing move EVOL's pulled.

The art was gorgeous, there was plenty of good music, and there was finally a resolution to Mykage's angst and many plot points. It was a good, fun ep overall, and watching EVOL has been plenty of fun. I'll have to buy the English subbed DVDs. I'm very happy with the conclusion to the series. I would have much preferred if the staff made a number of changes to the pacing and characterisation of EVOL, but the last few eps were satisfactory.

The ending was also sufficiently cheesy, and we finally got to have the Aquarion LOVE that we all knew was coming from the beginning.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:19   Link #208
Zuul

^ You shouldn't put Zessica and Mikono in the same category.

When it comes to be useful and not looking like helpless crap, Mikono really gets nothing good.

Now, I'm more than convinced Okada doesn't like her, because she didn't do
jackshit in the finale in spite of very OP and trollish ability.

In a way she's the character with the crappier end.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:23   Link #209
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Wow... I never thought I'd ever see an anime top Mai HiME for most ridiculously inappropriate complete happy ending, but this one did it.

... You gotta love the total nonsense of Kagura and Zessica turning into Amata/Mikono shippers.

Maybe Fudo slipped them some strong mild-altering drugs off-screen during this episode, because otherwise, both just quitting on (and easily getting over) the respective object of their affections is one of the biggest asspulls I've ever seen. I'd almost like to think that they did it simply due to Kagura and Zessica having love at first sight for each other, but they have met (outside of mechas) at least two or three times before. Briefly, but still.

I will say this, though - Aside from how they clearly wrote themselves into a corner with Kagura and Zessica, the rest of this episode was pretty great. I mean, presuming they had their heart set on Amata/Mikono from the very beginning, this is the best possible job they could have done of salvaging it at this point.

Short of a plot-twisty ending, I don't think they could have done a better job... but that also speaks to how they wrote themselves into a nasty corner with the love quadrangle, where the only way to make it work is have Kagura and Zessica go through almost hilariously bad characterization change in the very last episode.

But for a salvaging operation, I guess this might be the best they could do.

I'll give it 7/10. It was a fun watch, anyway.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:26   Link #210
mayumi

I don't know the reason kagura does a 180 degree turn. does he know and feel something about zessica that we don't know yet? it is just pretty strange. eh whatever.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:31   Link #211
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
I don't know the reason kagura does a 180 degree turn. does he know and feel something about zessica that we don't know yet? it is just pretty strange. eh whatever.
Be happy the asspull gives Zessica and Kagura a good end.

In the end, they serve no other purpose than making the main characters and romance look like crap. And Zessica to satisfy Kawamori's hate for Chinese girls with her pointless love martyr.

Is there still original shows with consistent plots and characterizations and an end that makes sense ?
Old 2012-06-25, 08:39   Link #212
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuul View Post
^ You shouldn't put Zessica and Mikono in the same category.

When it comes to be useful and not looking like helpless crap, Mikono really gets nothing good.

Now, I'm more than convinced Okada doesn't like her, because she didn't do
jackshit in the finale in spite of very OP and trollish ability.

In a way she's the character with the crappier end.
I agree that Mikono gets the worst treatment in terms of agency overall, but Zessica still got bodysnatched for several episodes, and ended up helpless and only able to watch and ask Kagura to kill her, until Mykage decided he didn't need her body any more. And that was only because Kagura throttled her for a little while. I didn't like it. Here, viewers, Kagura who is allowed to do such things as running and moving, will meet Mikono the window! And now, he will meet Zessica the human fly caught in a flytrap!...It didn't look good all together like that. The main two female characters were firmly put in the category where they were unable to do anything on their own. Mikono didn't even seem to be conscious.

Mikono got the bad end of the deal in that she never got the opportunity to do anything much. She was always put in situations where she had no means of taking action. It's not really her fault as a character, because she has tried to do things, only to get blocked. I had been expecting Kawamori to include something at the last minute, but even then, Mikono was only allowed to take action with Amata's help. Disappointing. They didn't even give her a token at the end. I think the Amata-Mikono stuff this ep was quite sweet, or some of it was, but the writers really let us down in terms of allowing Mikono agency. It seemed as if the message was partially "Mikono! You should stop trying to do things yourself! To succeed we have to work together!" It's cute to have the power of love making people strong and all, but before then, characters should have the opportunity to stand on their own feet.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:44   Link #213
Destined_Fate

That asspull didn't give them a good end. The losers hooking up together because they lost isn't a good end at all especially when Zessica and Kagura never interacted before this episode. Up to this point Kagura was an enemy that has killed innocents and who Zessica has tried to take out more than once on the battlefield. This is just their way to forcibly push those two out of the way so there's no other better options to get in the way of the main pair.

It also cheapens Zessica's love because even though she was interested in Amata at the start she didn't fall in love with him until after she got to know him. Her suddenly going for the mass murderer and abductor just because he's part Amata is stupid and a very horrible asspull since it means they can say she "Technically" got with Amata only she didn't. Which ignores the reasons why she fell in love with Amata, reasons that Kagura has shown to lack in every angle.
Old 2012-06-25, 08:52   Link #214
Zuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I think the Amata-Mikono stuff this ep was quite sweet, or some of it was, but the writers really let us down in terms of allowing Mikono agency. It seemed as if the message was partially "Mikono! You should stop trying to do things yourself! To succeed we have to work together!" It's cute to have the power of love making people strong and all, but before then, characters should have the opportunity to stand on their own feet.
I think the message is nastier than that :
Don't try to be useful Mikono, now your dear BF is going to take charge for everything. Just look pretty, that's enough.

Difficult to admit that in these days and ages.
Old 2012-06-25, 09:11   Link #215
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Thinking about it more, Apollonius turned out to be a real jerk, didn't he? It took him this long to take action himself about Mykage/Toma. Mykage wouldn't have happened in the first place if he hadn't trolled Toma into thinking Apollo was him. And Apollonius was more or less using Silvia/Mikono, Apollo/Amata and various other cast members as his tools.

Quote:
Don't try to be useful Mikono, now your dear BF is going to take charge for everything. Just look pretty, that's enough.
You may be right about that.

Mikono's agency progression through the series:
- She started out liking Amata because they were a "useless pair", but already wanted to change herself into someone stronger.
-When she found out Amata had superpowers and wasn't "useless", her confidence was knocked.
- She decided that she wanted to be strong and not need protecting, and started to participate properly in fights.
- Occasionally she gets picked up and hauled around by Kagura, who is able to do so because Mikono's physically weak and has no combat element power.
- But in the special grave training, she finds her nerve and stands up for the others, going against Fudo. This looks good! Character development!
- When MIX is caught, she's the only one who is willing to strike out on her own and bring back Fudo.Wonderful, she's getting character development and progression that shows the difference between her at the start of the series and now. Maybe she will get to do stuff. This looks good! She's taking independent action.
- ...Right up until the point where, so that Kagura and Amata can fight over her, the writers put her on a tall object she has no means of getting down from, making sure she can't do anything but call. Which she does.
- Then she gets kidnapped and is unconscious for a while.
- Then she is lugged about by Kagura and has to help pilot the mecha with him and Zessikage, because Altair wants Eve.
- Then Zessikage forces her into a gattai and turns her into a window...
- Then Fudo shows up, gives her plot exposition...
- And then she gets interrupted from taking independent action by Amata.

Her character development isn't bad, but right at the point where she ought to be showing off that development, the writers don't give her any chance to use it. It's one of the worst writing choices on the show. From the point after the legendary Aquarion shows up and she's fought over, she's not given any real choices as a character.
Old 2012-06-25, 09:21   Link #216
Zuul

^^ She didn't even have a say in her own love life.

demeaning treatment to the very end.
Old 2012-06-25, 09:22   Link #217
mayumi

Quote:

Difficult to admit that in these days and ages.
it really is. it just pisses me off. she is pretty and needs to be protected, can't do anything by her little old self.

but zessica really got the worse treatment. heck even kagura felt bad for her and he was the only one to tell amata that he made zessica cry and that zessica dying for someone like amata is not worth it. how insane. they could have done something there if they didn't write kagura and zessica like plot devices to change at their convenience.
Old 2012-06-25, 09:24   Link #218
Destined_Fate

I'm guessing that Gen was just angry that he's supposed to do nothing but serve as a guide. So I'm sure he was more than happy that Apollo died and didn't end up with his reincarnated lover even if he had long since discarded her for not being the Celiane he fell in love with 12,000(24,000? Considering the OVA...) years ago. Or that Gen was never supposed to be Apollonius anyway, the OVA especially where Apollo was undeniably Apollonius there.

Sad that Apollonius was the only one that didn't bother with the reincarnated lovers things when he saw how things turned out in the next cycle. While Apollo didn't learn that even if you reincarnate in another life the one you loved in the past life wont be the same in a new life. Such as Silvia being way different than the useless Mikono. I'm guessing the merging of Silvia and Sirius somehow made Mikono useless instead of a badass.
Old 2012-06-25, 09:32   Link #219
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

I am very bothered by Donar's reaction when Suomi whispers something to him. Did they do it and Suomi conceives? Crea's earlier comment about them being Adam and Eve certainly alludes to them engaging in ^&&^&(*%$.

Now for the ending, at the very least, Zessica is not dead. For that alone, and also for Amata's rather badass look when he reappears with Mikono, I gave this episode a rating of 7.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help
Old 2012-06-25, 09:42   Link #220
bastek66

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahahahahaha View Post
i am very bothered by donar's reaction when suomi whispers something to him. Did they do it and suomi conceives? Crea's earlier comment about them being adam and eve certainly alludes to them engaging in ^&&^&(*%$.
Spoiler for absolute truth:
Closed Thread