AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-12-28, 14:29   Link #9201
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

If it makes y'all feel better I have a project of my own in the works that'll get posted here when it's done.
Old 2010-12-30, 09:43   Link #9202
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Maybe it's just us? Maybe we're expecting too much... It is a 'magical girl' series after all, they have formulas to follow and their priorities lies in softer aspects...

...What the hell were we doing here in the first place ?!
We saw the Fate fanservice. But really, it was the Super Robots in Magical Girls that really got us going. Unfortunately, that's as far as it got. XD

Nevertheless, our notoriety and our community would've never been born if we did not first meet here.
Old 2010-12-30, 10:28   Link #9203
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Misfits united for the best and the worst by fanwank and nerdrage.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 15:37   Link #9204
Aaron008R

Odd. It almost sounds like people have completely quit.

Well, for one thing. I know I haven't posted in ages. But that doesn't mean I've dropped old OC-tan here. This little playpen of imagination may not be always active, but it's far from retirement just yet.

Well. I might as well step on the gas for some other material I'm writing for this place. I can't have you people speaking like it's all over, can I?

OC Profiles
Yagami Hayate: ver. GenerationS; Part 1, Part 2
Aaron008R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 18:45   Link #9205
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Please do. Who knows, you might re-ignite the creative spark of Cadia.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 20:41   Link #9206
LimitedEternal
Nuclear Fusion

I still lurk here, even if I don't really anything to say. Changing interests and all that.

So how's everyone's, uh...year...been?
LimitedEternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 21:22   Link #9207
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron008R View Post

Well, for one thing. I know I haven't posted in ages. But that doesn't mean I've dropped old OC-tan here. This little playpen of imagination may not be always active, but it's far from retirement just yet.

Well. I might as well step on the gas for some other material I'm writing for this place. I can't have you people speaking like it's all over, can I?
Zomg, it's GARbein Swirly-kun! Howya been, Aaron?

Actually, I'm glad you've arrived, I wanted to discuss with you an A's PSP fic detailing an certain pairing-

*CRACK*

*Goose is shot from offscreen*

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-30, 22:28   Link #9208
XenahortCharybdis
does whatever he wants.

Quote:

Right, right. In comes our eternal voice of reason to save the day!

Well, there's a 'please do' from me here too, frankly - can't say I'm not affected by the fact that every time I return from a long school-based hiatus there seems to be less than half the traffic from before.

Of course, the Cadian community's creative spark is still there - it's just being used...elsewhere, so to speak. To the neglect of Cadia itself, no doubt, but I guess it's a natural result of having done much here and thus feeling that there isn't much more to be done (When, well, there is - for example, doing something with those many OCs...though admittedly that's heck loads more difficult to continue to any significant progression.)

If it's any comfort, I too am working on something...I won't lie about the fact that keeping the juice flowing is something of a challenge though
XenahortCharybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 10:37   Link #9209
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Misfits united for the best and the worst by fanwank and nerdrage.
Dirty Dozen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
I still lurk here, even if I don't really anything to say. Changing interests and all that.
Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEternal View Post
So how's everyone's, uh...year...been?
Oh nothing, just conscripted into the army that's all... You know, usual stuff.

Oh wait, that was last year... I'M OUT! Woohoo!

...Crap, working life...

Quote:

Game over man! Game over!

Actually, I'm sure that tons of people have ideas. It's just that... It's kinda hard to work with the Nanohaverse- I notice that every other question in the theory or Q&A or technology thread doesn't have a straight answer, in the end we just make stuff up as we go along...
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 12:49   Link #9210
mielipuoli

But making stuff up as we go along is fun!
mielipuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-31, 21:02   Link #9211
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielipuoli View Post
But making stuff up as we go along is fun!
While that's true, I still would like to stick to canon as much as I can... It doesn't help that Canon doesn't provide a lot of concrete facts to their world settings...

The common example had been the [Barrier Jacket] issue and the [Magic damage] issue. Have we come to an agreement yet ?
Old 2010-12-31, 21:24   Link #9212
mielipuoli

Oh absolutely granted. Though I have my own Bureau OC kicking around in my head, and I need to sit down and find a proper framework to write her up with. I need to go through this whole thread...
Old 2011-01-01, 11:32   Link #9213
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Oh absolutely granted. Though I have my own Bureau OC kicking around in my head, and I need to sit down and find a proper framework to write her up with.
Chances are, you'll be changing her profile at least three times over

Quote:
I need to go through this whole thread...
Don't really have to, maybe at every 50 page interval...

I've got a question I'm hoping you guys can share some of you thoughts- If magic is so versatile, is there even a need for Vehicles? I mean what's the point if everything they're suppose to do, a mage can do as well?
Old 2011-01-01, 11:34   Link #9214
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Well, for one, most of the population can't fly. Neither can some of the CCs, so helis and cars are still needed.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 11:35   Link #9215
mielipuoli

Flight is only something for mages with very high talent, it's an uncommon skill. I imagine super-speed would be the same; there's also the (much larger?) non-mage population to consider as well.
Old 2011-01-01, 11:41   Link #9216
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicoX View Post
Well, for one, most of the population can't fly. Neither can some of the CCs, so helis and cars are still needed.
Quote:
Flight is only something for mages with very high talent, it's an uncommon skill. I imagine super-speed would be the same; there's also the (much larger?) non-mage population to consider as well.
My bad, I should specify- Do you think that the TSAB still have a need for vehicles like Armored Vehicles, Tanks, and Helicopters? Okay, transportation-wise I can understand, but what about for offensive?
Old 2011-01-01, 11:50   Link #9217
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I think it depends on what they would face. Any powerful army wouldn't forgo armored vehicles simply because they can use magic (I'd guess). It provides them with powerful defense and offense. Remember, what we see in the show and in the manga are the elite of the elite. The rest of the TSAB seems to be mere redshirts so they need a little extra something to stand on their own (not that it helped in StrikerS, but maybe it went better than if they hadn't used tanks).

IIRC, there aren't much canon info on it, but this would be my guess.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 12:05   Link #9218
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Okay, so my next question is- Do those Vehicles require a mage to pilot them, which would imply that they run on their magic, specifically the attack vehicles like the Tanks that we know exist?

A) If the answer is yes, then isn't it possible that there is a means to increase your average mage's firepower? After all that is the reason for a Tank- There's no point if his firepower remains the same.

B) If it's not powered by a mage's magic- wouldn't that mean that the TSAB has been able to mass produce a weapon that doesn't use magic all along?

(Actually now that I think about it... In the first place, Vehicles can be devices right? And it's quite common for devices to have different forms...)

And yes I know that we'll never get a straight answer so humor me. But my point is- Doesn't this mean that the TSAB forces has a means to boost their fighting strength without relying on powerful mages alone? I mean, we can't have the named characters solve every problem right?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2011-01-01 at 12:36.
Old 2011-01-01, 13:25   Link #9219
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Okay, so my next question is- Do those Vehicles require a mage to pilot them, which would imply that they run on their magic, specifically the attack vehicles like the Tanks that we know exist?

A) If the answer is yes, then isn't it possible that there is a means to increase your average mage's firepower? After all that is the reason for a Tank- There's no point if his firepower remains the same.

B) If it's not powered by a mage's magic- wouldn't that mean that the TSAB has been able to mass produce a weapon that doesn't use magic all along?

(Actually now that I think about it... In the first place, Vehicles can be devices right? And it's quite common for devices to have different forms...)
As far as I know, the military vehicles we have seen so far are meant to be used by anyone with the necessary training, magi or not (e.g. Vice and Alto are heli pilots even though the former is a magus while the latter isn't). So the answer, as far as I know, is no, the vehicles don't run on mana.

As to A, I think Force has your answer. The Bureau does conduct research on equipment that could augment their magi's performance, which leads us to the subjectively lamentable mechanisation of the cast (I still think Fortress Nanoha is freaking ugly.....). If one is to argue that the equipment we see in Force comes only as a response to the Hucklebein threat and is thus not SOP, I would say that even before Force we already have, at least, hints of the Bureau's efforts in this area, namingly the devices that their magi use. Maybe not stuff like powered exoskeletons, but for the magi, improving the quality of their devices is an essential upgrade nonetheless, as the devices will influence how they perform in the field. I doubt even the Aces, skilled as they are, will perform as well as they do now if their devices are not up to par. Bardiche was in fact created to improve Fate's combat abilities, and as for someone like Hayate who uses ceremonial-level magic day-in-day-out, the lack of a good device that could handle the complex preparations for the spells she uses (like Rein Zwei and the rebuilt Tome of the Night Sky), will pretty much render her useless (thus shafting her even more ).

As for B, the reason I think is already covered in StrikerS. General disapproval to the use of mass weaponry is the major stumbling block to its development. The Bureau is certainly capable of producing them; the problem is that they are unwilling to do so, or at least on a massive scale.

Quote:
But my point is- Doesn't this mean that the TSAB forces has a means to boost their fighting strength without relying on powerful mages alone? I mean, we can't have the named characters solve every problem right?
The fact that Genya's squadron managed to keep the drones at bay long enough suggest that the magi supply in the Bureau is not as strained as some of us may suspect. Also, this may be speculation on my part, but I do believe the Bureau does keep enough non-direct-human-powered weapons (like her warships) to maintain the balance. The implied threat to blast your capital (and you with it) from outer space should aid somewhat in negotiations. And then we have people like Lunessa who are allowed to carry firearms, abeit with a license. So they do bend the rules here and there to make do.

Of course, otoh there's always diplomacy, leaving the Administrated Worlds to handle day-to-day stuff on their own, and the discreet use of mercenaries or "private military companies", all to get things done. That said, with cases like Orussia, it's safe to assume that Midchilda avoids taking on more than it can chew, and there will be times when nothing can be done or solved, even by named characters. If the Nanoha series is willing to take a darker, more realistic and, dare I say, more complex approach to its story, this kind of scenario pop out quite frequently, scenarios where the main characters can do no more than just what they're supposed to do as law enforcers, and watch, with relative helplessness and pent-up righteous rage, as scum protected by the law go free and safe, and moral justice is left unfulfilled.

That would be nice.

Signature by liro

Last edited by Estavali; 2011-03-02 at 15:32. Reason: Amending "useful" to "useless"
Estavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-01, 18:48   Link #9220
mielipuoli

BetrayerS?

Tags
hayaurion, kaonland, keroland, khrack, original content