AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-20, 08:40   Link #41
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Actually it might be fun for someone to write that fanfic. If done right, it'd be a parody of Claymore and fanfiction rolled into one.
LOL. Anyone else ever read an Neon genesis Evangelion fan fic called "A Self Insert That Wasn't Right"? That really nailed self inserts. Maybe one day I will write the Mary Sue. After I do the Hot Springs episode.
Old 2007-06-20, 11:09   Link #42
Yorae_paladin1

I got a good idea berserk/claymore crossover
Old 2007-06-20, 14:58   Link #43
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Maybe it is just my personal preference, but I've never liked crossover fics. I find that they reek of fanboyism. It is as though the writer finds that the idea of putting cool characters together is unavoidably cool, but they just don't fit. Different worlds simply work differently. Isn't one world at a time good enough?

Well, that's just the impression I take away from the experience when I encounter a crossover.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-06-20, 15:07   Link #44
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

*still has nightmares of 'Tekkadread' *

Crossing Claymore would be hard if you bring people into the Claymore world. Case in point - Berserk. As strong as Guts is, having him waking around, taking out Awakeneds, training Raki to become Chibi Guts, going after Abyssal Griffith...ain't gonna work...
Give the girls a break and take them out of Claymore - I'd think that would be much better if crossover ideas take root.
Old 2007-06-20, 15:11   Link #45
Yorae_paladin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Maybe it is just my personal preference, but I've never liked crossover fics. I find that they reek of fanboyism. It is as though the writer finds that the idea of putting cool characters together is unavoidably cool, but they just don't fit. Different worlds simply work differently. Isn't one world at a time good enough?

Well, that's just the impression I take away from the experience when I encounter a crossover.
It depends on what kind of crossover usually good crossovers are worlds that work in similar ways like berserk and claymore.
Old 2007-06-20, 15:45   Link #46
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorae_paladin1 View Post
It depends on what kind of crossover usually good crossovers are worlds that work in similar ways like berserk and claymore.
I agree with Tempest35. I'd also like to say that when you simply enough to say that those worlds work in similar ways, most of the time you are merely ignoring important differences.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-06-20, 18:02   Link #47
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

I'm also somewhat against Crossovers. Although I do enjoy Super Robot Wars.
Old 2007-06-20, 18:29   Link #48
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Now, if you make the shady Org somehow be in reality the world dominating ACROSS, and Excel is the newest Rank 47...then we might have something here - pure unadulterated insanity.

If you want to cross over, then cross over. Me I'm staying right here, awaiting healthy doses of cleavage and you get both kinds in Claymore - how much more win is that?

Spoiler for rant against the crossover:
Old 2007-06-20, 20:00   Link #49
SimplyEd
Claytard

Well, i decided to contribute at least a tiny little snippet to this thread. It's not exactly much. To be more precise, it's a tag along to something that i came up with while i was analyzing the mentality of an Awakened for the bio thread.
It's probably not fanfic per se, but it also didn't really fit into the other thread, so..

Musings of the other side

..Oh? Good

What was that just now? Feels so good

That is strange..my head feels so numb..and..what's that sweet taste in my mouth? More

I'm..alone. There's nobody here. All alone, again. Always...why? Where are the others? Did they leave me behind..again? You want more

Ughh..my head feels like it's about to burst..but..no. There's no pain. I feel... You feel

I..feel..I..who am i? Deidre

Number 35. Generation 49. Deidre

What was my mission? What am i doing out here? Feed

Ah..yes..yes..the youma. They were slaughtering those traveling merchants..we had to protect them. Feed

We...where are all the others? There's nobody here? No longer Where is everybody? So tasty but not enough

The sweet taste is gone. Nothing left I don't want it to be gone. You want more I have to find the others..I.. Deidre

That is my name. Always. That was always my name. The only thing that was always..I am Deidre

You are..I..oh! Disgusting

There are the others! They smell so disgusting

They taste so awful..huh?.. I have no use for them. They can't feel it. So weak, so small. So easy to break.

What? Why have they left already? All too easy. So weak.

Why did they look so scared? It's the same look. Oh! Yes that's right. Back then they looked the same! Yes

Why did they look the same? They don't feel it. They don't want to feel it. So weak.

Yes, back then, i see.. I am Deidre

Back then, there was no reason to hold back any longer. I was so foolish. Trusting in this weakness, trusting in the others.

There were no Youmas. Only a few merchants. Only this...thing. The others. They just ran away. So weak. Why were the others so weak? Why was I ...?! So weak.

It was just a tiny flicker of a moment but i felt that there was no longer any need to hold it back any more, the power, the joy, the freedom. Everything.
It was flooding every single part of my body. The surge. It is with me, always.The other..that thing. It was weak, so weak.
No sadness,no fear, no remorse. I left all of that behind. I am Deidre. I am strong. I have awakened. I am.
Old 2007-06-21, 14:01   Link #50
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Very nicely done. Bravo.
Old 2007-06-21, 17:48   Link #51
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

Intersting one. I like it.
Old 2007-06-21, 20:55   Link #52
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Rank 47

I guess it's my turn now. ^^ Takes place just before our Fab 4 take on the Male Awakened. Miria's thoughts.

Rank 47 – although I did not show it on my face, I was astounded. She, who scarcely a few weeks ago, dispatched four mid-tier youma with ease was the lowest amongst us? I could not believe it. Something was definitely wrong here but at the time, I could not fathom what that could be. How could that poise and confidence, that overwhelmingly powerful aura I felt radiating from her that day belong to one who occupied the lowly rank of 47?

I felt my initial misgivings mirroring that of Helen, ranked 22nd amongst us, but I knew that something was up. It had to be. There’s no way that my eyes, my senses could been fooled that day. Whoever she truly was and whatever it was that she was hiding my curiosity demanded that I find out just what that may be.

Being the lowest number, of course Helen hazed her constantly. Even Deneve had some words to say about her and even though I ignored it as best I could, I felt slightly irritated at the general fact that we would bicker so easily about anything whenever we grouped together. Even so, when I heard Clare grab for her sword yet again, I sighed. The young boy she had brought with her seemed to be the hot topic of the Awakened Being hunt; every hunt has one and it is usually at the expense of the lowest ranked. Even as Helen and Devene made their complaints about her vocal once again, I found myself not listening to them at all but drawn to her diminutive figure between them. God, her eyes… They couldn’t see but I could. Deep down, I felt my innermost self shiver at the barely suppressed rage in those bright silver orbs. For a moment, a tiny part of me wanted to unleash all that glorious anger upon the other two, to glimpse that enticing overwhelming power in action with my own two eyes. Instead, I berated them yet again to let the matter of her joining us rest. Even as I said that, I realized that I did not want to wait any longer. I wanted to test her - to take the full measure of this enigma in my own way.

While Helen went to get food and Deneve rested inside the cave I found, I approached her, both our swords in my hands and threw her hers. Combat - it was the quickest way and I had to know once and for all - this was a perfect opportunity. Sparring with her in the rain, while it provided me with her sword skill level, did nothing to appease my curiosity. I felt nothing of that powerful aura. No great technique came into play. No superb swordsmanship. Even as we sparred, she moved…strangely, as if she was trying to use a different style from what was taught us. Her eyes rarely left my own, staring at me with such an intense concentration I never have felt or seen before. I ended the match quickly, not wanting to drag it out further than it already had. Or was it to prevent being drawn in…but drawn in by what? Was I the one who retreated from that match even though I had the upper hand? Impossible.

I left her where she had fallen and walked back into the cave, my own mind split on the decision to the question proposed by the two of them yet again. They’ll never let a moment slide to remind me that she was Rank 47 and that her dismal performance just now fit that ranking. I should have sent her away, but I didn’t. Even though the right thing to do would be to send her away, I refused, much to Helen’s chagrin. I knew that I was pushing my luck but maybe that power would come into play against the Awakened One. It was quite a gamble but one I felt I could work comfortably with. If worse came to worse, my technique should be enough to take out the Awakened One.

I look at them as they sleep. Deneve, her back against the rocky wall resting her sword along her shoulder…Helen sprawled out comfortably on the ground, hands behind her head. She even snores, the loudmouth. Figures she can’t keep quiet even while sleeping. I glance back outside as the rain continues to beat mercilessly against the slender form still outside. Staring at Clare’s rain-soaked and forlorn body, my eyes barely registered her slight breathing. Could she be dreaming? With a light sigh, I rest my back against my sword, impaled in the ground as is customary and close my eyes. Even now, my mind goes back to our first meeting as she appeared to me – gratingly self confident, and yet I feel an odd tingle race up my spine with just remembering that sensation. I can’t believe I am admitting this but maybe it is why I have been so preoccupied with her. I want to see that power…her power…for myself.

I want you to know who you really are, Rank 47. I won’t rest until I do.

Last edited by Tempest35; 2007-08-12 at 07:54. Reason: UPDATED
Old 2007-06-22, 00:25   Link #53
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Very nice story indeed. That is so much Miria's "voice" that I can really believe that was in her mind at the time.
Spoiler for volume 12:

Old 2007-06-22, 03:20   Link #54
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

"No one knew from whence they came. We only knew when people started dying.

"The first deaths occurred in the pleasure districts. No one cared about the loss of one or two streetwalkers. But then, young nobles, hotbloods eager to sow their seeds, also began disappearing, only to turn up a few days later, their bodies torn beyond recognition.

"Whispers of anxiety became murmurs of fear, which grew eventually into a swell of full-blown panic. By then, it was clear that a monster walked among the people, undetected and unknown. Not surprisingly, those who could do so, fled the city. First a trickle, then a flood. More people died in the ensuing stampede than had died in the hands of the unseen monster.

"It was clear that the Emperor had to do something, or risk losing the capital. A quarantine was imposed, and martial law declared. The Temple Knights were called upon to hunt the monster, and to destroy it with extreme prejudice.

"We could not have known how many demons we truly faced. Through the folly of our actions, we turned a city of half a million souls into a macabre buffet for the hidden host that soon revealed themselves from among our midst.

"Grandia, the citadel of the East, the mighty bastion that withstood a thousand sieges — it fell in a matter of days, a ruined city wiped clean of all life.

"The plague had come. May God have mercy on our souls."

Chronicles of the Fall

Spoiler for Volume 10 onwards:

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2007-06-22 at 04:56. Reason: Apologies for spoilers ^_^;
Old 2007-06-22, 04:42   Link #55
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I'd have to say that there is a minor spoiler hidden in that fanfic, but I suppose I'm not feeling picky enough to punish you for it right now. It is really minor and most of the story is invented by you, but you're writing about a relationship that hasn't yet been revealed in either the anime or the Viz translation of the manga. Please put an appropriate spoiler tag on that before I wake up in the morning and we'll just pretend it didn't happen.

Aside from that, I'd have to say that it is an interesting take on what might have existed in the days before there was an Organization. I look forward to seeing how you develop it.

Old 2007-06-22, 06:43   Link #56
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Sounds like something out of the WoW mythos with the style of writing. ^^ sounds very epic-ish.
Old 2007-06-22, 08:34   Link #57
Negativedark
Proud Yuma Lover.

I really liked Tempest35's fic from Miria's pov. So much I may rip it off and do Miria's "files" on various things.
TinyRedLeaf, yours is shaping up interesting as well. My biggest worry would be that eventually the Manga could reveal things that compleatly contridict it. That's why I never wrote one for
Spoiler for recent chapters:
Well It's still fairly good.
Old 2007-06-22, 14:35   Link #58
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Heh, it's such a small one but I specialize in those. Besides, POV's give me an excuse to get inside the head of a particular character.

My 'Author's Notes' on Miria

I like Miria because as complex as some people think she is, she's actually a more simple character to understand than say, Ophelia. She just puts off an 'untouchable' aura because of how quick-thinking she is and how much knowledge she has. At he heart of it, Miria's just innately curious about the world and how everything works. She wants to know the 'why' more than anything, especially with the entire Youma-Claymore-Awakened business. Like a young, brand-new scientist/researcher who wants to explore as much as possible.

That's why I see Clare as being the biggest mystery that Miria's come across and for lack of a better term, she's hooked. Now that she has this living mystery to work with, she won't really rest until she's totally figured Clare out.
Old 2007-06-23, 09:11   Link #59
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

All Work and No Play?

Wanted to write something with a more lighthearted theme than we are used to seeing. Not for the anime purists.
Spoiler for during the timeskip - NORTH:

Last edited by Tempest35; 2007-08-11 at 11:10. Reason: Made it better
Old 2007-06-23, 09:56   Link #60
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
Wanted to write something with a more lighthearted theme than we are used to seeing. Not for the anime purists.
Spoiler for during the timeskip - NORTH:
Very nice Tempest your insight of the characters is quite impressive.
I could easily see them doing that. And the finishing move of Miria is not much out of character I could easily imagine her doing it when in a playful mood.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-06-23 at 16:42.
Closed Thread

Tags
fanfiction