AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-07-18, 05:02   Link #401
flick
電脳コイル'd

Hehe, loved the end of episode 7.... Isako is awesome really, although I was bit worried about how cold she was in earlier episodes. Icequeen melting!

Wao: Thanks for translating the prologue! Again google was my friend with Michiko (probably should have remembered this) but I was wondering if it's made clear at the start who's perspective the reader is viewing from? I'm tempted to guess Isako or Yasako, but then again it may be 'Kiname Yoshifumi'?

I must go and watch episode one again...
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 05:04   Link #402
wao
OK.

For the prologue, not really - although I'm pretty sure it's Yasako's, because Isako speaks more "confidently" and she tends to use "atashi" and not "watashi". For the rest of the novel as far as I know they largely make it clear. I remember there was a short section with Haraken speaking as well.

The second part of the prologue is just a news report thing. It was all in bold in the original.
Old 2007-07-18, 17:18   Link #403
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
...does that mean Kyouko's going to be a tsundere too? She seems like she could be more of a yandere. I think she looks cute with her hair down, though.
Kyoko The Killer Loli, anyone?! 8)

PS: Wao, your spoilers are driving me mad. Especially the revelation about 4423. Argh, I wish I could unread that. Not that it's impossible to come up with, but still.. I wish I was more uncertain about it.

Spoiler:
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 18:03   Link #404
flick
電脳コイル'd

So desu ne! *has learnt even more Japanese today* Thanks, Wao! You're definitely a diamond (or gold?) mine of information on Denno Coil! I don't think the 'Kiname Yoshifumi' has featured in the anime yet (AFAIK) at least till episode 7, so I guess he/she might be an important character later?

On another note, I was looking through the news things on the manga. I'm surprised they've used such a cute chibi(?) style for the Denno Coil manga. Although I'm not against 'chibi' style, I would have preferred them to keep the anime-style artwork for the manga.
Old 2007-07-21, 06:46   Link #405
wao
OK.

Holy asfaksfasf;, I've just watched the first half of Dennou Coil 11, and while it doesnt' seem like the animation has gotten super YET (I think Inoue will shine more in the 2nd half?), just seeing
Spoiler:

And you wouldn't believe me but if you thought Kyoko was annoying and useless until now, you might want to think again.

Crap, I won't get to watch the second half till I return from a dinner...
Old 2007-07-21, 16:48   Link #406
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Thumbs up

Quote:
Daichi explaining how to get "textures" out of the dennou world was SO COOL. Seriously.
I was also surprised by how incredibly imaginative that was, smacking texels (voxels?) off of unstable areas of the world, covering your glasses to prevent world sync/updates.

The episode on the whole was a blast
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-21, 21:15   Link #407
wao
OK.

Yeah. Man, I watched the second half of it and it was so
Spoiler:

Also, if next episode isn't a gag episode then I don't know what the hell it is, but LOL (screenshots).

And I just feel like laughing all over again thinking that Mr. Unfunny Onii-san/Daichi/Unchi is voiced by Real's seiyuu, and Kyoko by Pino's. Nekome by Vincent's... so he just needs to come in and be kind of 'uh... guys... uh...' and get ordered around by Unchi, and voila!

EDIT: Okay, and I guess you can't go by mentioning ep 11 without opening your jaw a little at hte list of animators there. K seriously. You look at this adn don't tell me it's bloody amazing (if you can bother to google the animators since I am lazy to provide links.)
These are the most prominent ones...

Ei Inoue
Hisashi Eguchi
Masashi Ando
Masashi Ishihama
Kazuchika Kise
Hiroyuki Aoyama
Hirofumi Suzuki
Noriyuki (or was it Tokuyuki) Matsutake
Tatsuzou Nishida
Takeshi Honda
Toshiyuki Inoue

Exactly 50% of all the key animators for this episode are either character-design and/or feature-level animators. This is like movie-level proportions.

But for some reason it felt like the animation didn't stand out as much to me as episode 10 did. Not in the sense of hey-radical-animation, but it didn't feel particularly amazing in many sections (then again, that's probably expecting too much, and it's mid-series after all). I was kinda expecting something on the level of episode 1 what with the Holy Inoue-sama actually descending to sakkan a TV episode of all things.

Or perhaps my mind was so preoccupied by the lovely animation of Paprika, which I saw the day before, and was a primarily Inoue-animated work itself (dude, you should see his running and human movements). And of course it's an unfair comparison because that's a movie that took a long time to produce...
Also, with this episode I felt like during the parts where they're supposed to show off the animation (water effects etc.) I was too concerned with the events of the episiode to properly notice what would have been the nicer bits in the episode. I guess I'll watch the episode again!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my major complaint is that there's NOT ENOUGH MOJO
When's the last time we saw them? Honestly!~ Come back!

EDIT2: Another thing - I really lol'd at how heavily "jikkyo'd" this is on 2ch. That is people type their responses and talk during the show itself. And evidently this show gets a lot (1400 replies per minute is a helluva lot!) http://www.tv2ch.info/kakoimg/2007/0..._00-24_etv.png Take a look between 18:00 and 19:00...the first half is major and the second half with the ridiculous peaks is Dennou Coil.

EDIT3 (how many times...): I grinned when some guys found this out as well:

From episode 11. The book says "作画入門(?)ソミツオ" - Introduction to Sakuga, by (?)so Mitsuo And I think it's published by Tokuma too! LOL.

Last edited by wao; 2007-07-22 at 08:29.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 07:43   Link #408
wao
OK.

I suppose nobody was impressed by episode 11... (well, it wasn't as good as episode 10 IMO and I figure nobody likes Daichi or Denpa very much so I s'pose it's not surprising)

Anyway, I've been unable to translate much the past few days due to certain things going on, but FINALLY! The main site actually UPDATED! With STORY SUMMARIES to boot! They even have episode 12's ttp://www.tokuma.co.jp/coil/story/12.html

Good god, it's the attack of
Spoiler:
Old 2007-07-27, 09:28   Link #409
Huw M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I suppose nobody was impressed by episode 11...
Not at all. I was very impressed myself, just haven't had time to write about it.

The animation was great (duh). I loved the drawings in the dinner scene with the 2 girls at the start (Takeshi Honda I think). And the big fish was great (Kazuchika Kise? He is an expert at animating animals...). Inoue's water was excellent, and I'm sure Nishida animated some of the more impressive water scenes as well. (The bit with the jet of water shooting into the invisible cube and out the top, filling it up.....ridiculous. How does someone animate that?!). Also, the short shot of the kids running was definitely Inoue, and totally awesome. The shot of Yasako entering the frame with the pool in it was a really weighty and nice bit of movement, but my favorite shot was probably the Fish chomping the kyuu-san.

(I know, I know, I'm overly enthusiastic about animation.)

Disclaimer: I have no idea if any of the above animators did those scenes, anyone have any ideas?

And Wao, thanks for putting so much effort into this thread! It would be a lot less lively without your insight and info.
Huw M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 09:44   Link #410
wao
OK.

I wish I knew the same, really - for all the yapping I go on about here and elsewhere about animation, 99% of it is simply rehashing from Ben's blog and the other 1% is just me making wild guesses
Spoiler for ep 11:

And I almost feel obliged to bump this thread and put effort into it because otherwise there's pretty much nobody doing it (in terms of non-sakuga aspects)... in English, anyway.
Doesn't help that there's like about only one regularly updating blog that does the raws and it's not the most accurate of them either. Oh well. I hope more people eventually stumble upon it realising it is not a cheesy childish wreck of a show and is quite the opposite!
Old 2007-07-27, 13:43   Link #411
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm enjoying this show a great deal.... I just don't have a lot to say about it because its pretty much all laid out in terms of story and the animation is just 'delicious'(?).
Old 2007-07-27, 14:57   Link #412
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Wao, you make some pretty neat posts but I've only been skimming them -- you are way ahead of me and I often have no idea what you're talking about (unless it's something like "the animation was good right here and here"...). This is one of those series I wouldn't benefit from by watching the raw, so I've been following Ureshii's releases (darnit I'm ticked they dropped Les Misérables.... can't really blame them, but now it's too late to get any raws ). And by the time I see a new episode, it seems most people here have gotten even further so instead of breaking the discussion, I prefer to hide in my lair. I'll probably rewatch the series when it's over and make a mondo post at my blog...

But yeah... letting you know I like this series very much so far and am still following it.
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-27, 15:06   Link #413
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Plus the subs are behind the raws so those of us who rely on them are lurking.

I'm following this series too. Thanks for the updates wao.
Old 2007-07-28, 05:29   Link #414
wao
OK.

Ah, it's nice to know there are other people here too... I really do wish the subs were a leetle bit faster so I could have more people to talk to (also it's teh problem in every thread where the raw discussion has left the sub discussion so far behind that those who follow subs don't feel like talking about it). Argh. Here I curse my exams again that I can't consistently do anything about this.

At any rate, 12 has aired and it seems like it was a complete riot. I am trying to keep away from too many spoilers but I saw the summary-picture thing and absolutely couldn't stop myself making very... strange and funny noises. If anything I am a bit sad that Isako largely doesn't seem to appear, but I'm sure we'll see an episode mainly about her very soon. Argh, I can't wait!!

Also, it appears that episode 14 is going to be a recap episode from what I hear. Or rather a 'summary episode'. Why Oh well. Some recaps have been pretty good actually...

(Stupid formatting errors. Also, I didn't know you could delete your own posts now!!)
Old 2007-07-28, 09:06   Link #415
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Didn't watch 11 yet, too busy this week. Don't worry, wao, people care. You are not alone. 8)

By the way, to make this post post a little bit less redundant, here are the ratings for Dennou Coil.

12/05/07 - Episode 01 - 3.0%
19/05/07 - Episode 02 - 2.8%
26/05/07 - Episode 03 - 1.7%
02/06/07 - Episode 04 - 2.2.%
09/06/07 - Episode 05 - 3.6%
16/06/07 - Episode 06 - 2.8%
23/06/07 - Episode 07 - ?
30/06/07 - Episode 08 - 4.0%
07/07/07 - Episode 09 - ?
14/07/07 - Episode 10 - 3.1%
21/07/07 - Episode 11 - 3.3%

Fairly weak for a prime time airing, but still respectable numbers. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 09:29   Link #416
wao
OK.

You're right, I kinda forgot that unlike my lazy self, other people out there are actually spending their time doing proper work and not lazing around watching anime... maybe it wouldn't feel so bad if I actually could post on 2ch or blogs or something, or alternatively get a life.

Still haven't watched 12 because it hasn't Appeared and I'm getting so tired I'll just watch it tomorrow although I'm so keen on watching it (and I think I've half spoiled myself for the episode reading through the damned thread... seems like if there's any Civ players here you'll find this episode highly interesting.)

Also, I keep hearing on some COil and TV rating threads that NHK's ratings are usually very misrepresentative of actual viewership although I have no idea why and how. It seems to be popular enough though. I also heard Kio Shimoku (the Genshiken mangaka) mentioned that Coil was "suteki" in the latest issue of Afternoon although again, I have no way of checking and am too lazy to.

I guess I'll sleep! Have a random spoiler pic from 12 that will make you go a little WTF (not responsible for any keyboard damage through spilt beverages)

Spoiler for ep 12:

Oh yeah, it seems like anon's been subbing this since evidently someone's not happy with the speed of subbing. Whoever you are anon, thank you! I hope it means people can get to watch the greatness of episode 10 soon.

Although I have no idea what their quality is like because I'm out of disk space and you can fill in the rest (hint: laziness). Anyone who happens to flutter by this thread and has watched it...?
Old 2007-07-28, 10:55   Link #417
Jimmy C

I've just seen anon's ep8 sub. Some mistakes here and there, and it looks like they're not sticking with the HD videos. But bearable until Ureshii catches up. And the mistakes are correctable since it's a softsub.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 11:41   Link #418
flick
電脳コイル'd

I was about to ask about the quality of the 'Anon' subs. Thanks, Jimmy! If my patience really wears thin (can hardly wait tbh), I'll be taking up the anon subs until Ureshii catches up as well!
Old 2007-07-28, 16:23   Link #419
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Totally blown away by Episode 12. It's so damn brilliant that to even hide what happens in this episode behind multiple spoilers would be a disservice as this episode needs to be watched unknown. It's absolutely hilarious and yet presents us with something mindblowing.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-28, 17:31   Link #420
flick
電脳コイル'd

Anonymous have released episodes 8-10! So tempting, especially after wao's enthusiastic comments about episode 10!

Tags
science fiction