AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-08-19, 10:29   Link #1
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

Cd-rom doesn't detect cd/dvd

i tried to made a image cd for the program, but my nero 7 said that the cd isn't the right format and it was cancelled in the middle.. then i tried to see what is on that cd, the setup start up for this program, and in the middle, my windows froze, and i had to restart it.. after that, my cd-rom didn't detect any cd or dvd (empty or full) .. any ideas whats wrong? i hope cd-rom isn't that sensitive that it can broke so easly?

My laptop is even not a year old... so the age of the computer or hardware isn't a problem...

i tried to restore the system, but that didn't help...
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Kazuma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 11:09   Link #2
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

So, you are saying that after the restart, the CD/DVD ROM is not being detected? A lot of things can occur for this to happen. Even adding/removing the drive through the use of Device Manager could solve this problem. To try this, go to My Computer, right-click, and select Manage.

Go to "Device Manager" and find your CD/DVD ROM drive, right-click it and "uninstall it." After it uninstalled, you can either go to "Action" and "Scan for hardware changes" or restart the system - whichever you prefer. It should, hopefully, detect the drive.
Spoiler for Device Manager:
TakutoKun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 11:36   Link #3
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

"After it uninstalled, you can either go to "Action" and "Scan for hardware changes" or restart the system - whichever you prefer. It should, hopefully, detect the drive.
"

so where do i find action and scan for hardware changes? i am doing this for the first time...
~Ladies, if a guy ever tells you, he wants to cover you from head to toe in honey, and lick it all off inch by inch, that's the man who hasn't done it before. You start at her toes, and before you get to anything interesting, she is asleep and you are in diabetic coma ~
Old 2007-08-19, 12:23   Link #4
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuma77 View Post
"After it uninstalled, you can either go to "Action" and "Scan for hardware changes" or restart the system - whichever you prefer. It should, hopefully, detect the drive.
"

so where do i find action and scan for hardware changes? i am doing this for the first time...
Simple. Look in the upper left corner of the Device Manager window. "Action" is directly on the right side of "File," the second command in a row of four. Directly below the four commands, you should see eight icons, the first two being a left arrow and a right arrow. "Scan for Hardware Changes" is the eighth one, a.k.a. the one farthest to the right.

I'm using Windows Vista, so this is based on my computer setup... it would help if you told me what OS you're using. Some form of Windows...
Urotsukidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 12:56   Link #5
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

In Windows XP, you should see this:

Old 2007-08-19, 14:03   Link #6
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

I am using Windows XP SP2 ..i will try it, and i will get back to you... if i get lost i will post a image here....
Old 2007-08-19, 14:04   Link #7
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
I am using Windows XP SP2
My image, above, is your answer.
Old 2007-08-19, 14:40   Link #8
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Quote:
I am using Windows XP SP2 ..i will try it, and i will get back to you... if i get lost i will post a image here....
Let's all hope it works out. Even so, Matradley may be better equipped to help than I, what with the difference in operating systems...
Old 2007-08-19, 14:46   Link #9
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
Let's all hope it works out. Even so, Matradley may be better equipped to help than I, what with the difference in operating systems...
The MMC for Vista has no real change to it. You can still help.
Old 2007-08-19, 15:32   Link #10
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
So, you are saying that after the restart, the CD/DVD ROM is not being detected? A lot of things can occur for this to happen. Even adding/removing the drive through the use of Device Manager could solve this problem. To try this, go to My Computer, right-click, and select Manage.

Go to "Device Manager" and find your CD/DVD ROM drive, right-click it and "uninstall it." After it uninstalled, you can either go to "Action" and "Scan for hardware changes" or restart the system - whichever you prefer. It should, hopefully, detect the drive.
I am having similar issues with my older pc that has XP on it. The DVD and CD drive are not being detected. In the past I have tried to un-install and install the drives back but no matter what I do they are not being detected. I swear, one day I got on my old pc to move so stored data and the DVD and CD drives were not responding . . . .. I don't know what could have occured. The only good thing out of the matter is the fact I have a much newer pc so I am not in big trouble. It would be nice to have those drives on my old pc working again though . . . .any ideas of what else I could try to get them to work correct??
Gundam Zero Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 16:06   Link #11
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
I am having similar issues with my older pc that has XP on it. The DVD and CD drive are not being detected. In the past I have tried to un-install and install the drives back but no matter what I do they are not being detected. I swear, one day I got on my old pc to move so stored data and the DVD and CD drives were not responding . . . .. I don't know what could have occured. The only good thing out of the matter is the fact I have a much newer pc so I am not in big trouble. It would be nice to have those drives on my old pc working again though . . . .any ideas of what else I could try to get them to work correct??
Possibly the only problem I can think of right now is that the IDE cables inside the computer somehow came loose or are not aligned properly... This is a problem you can easily fix yourself, but it does involve taking apart the computer. In case you don't know, the IDE cables are special cables that connect the CD/DVD drive to the motherboard. Malfunctioning or absent IDE cable = a drive that essentially functions as nothing more than a decent paperweight.
Old 2007-08-19, 16:09   Link #12
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urotsukidoji View Post
Possibly the only problem I can think of right now is that the IDE cables inside the computer somehow came loose or are not aligned properly... This is a problem you can easily fix yourself, but it does involve taking apart the computer. In case you don't know, the IDE cables are special cables that connect the CD/DVD drive to the motherboard. Malfunctioning or absent IDE cable = a drive that essentially functions as nothing more than a decent paperweight.
Mmmm... expensive paperweights. Here is a great place if you need some help and pictures - http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/...ct_ide_hd.html .
Old 2007-08-19, 16:10   Link #13
Gundam Zero Force

Yes I already checked the IDE cables. sorry I forgot to mention that I did check the inside of the computer already for any issues. Everything seems to be hooked up fine.

On my pc it shows my DVD and CD drive are installed but not detected. I have already tried updating the drives but I cannot since they are not detected . . . . so I seem to be stuck in a rut right now
Old 2007-08-19, 16:14   Link #14
TakutoKun
Mew Member
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundam Zero Force View Post
Yes I already checked the IDE cables. sorry I forgot to mention that I did check the inside of the computer already for any issues. Everything seems to be hooked up fine.

On my pc it shows my DVD and CD drive are installed but not detected. I have already tried updating the drives but I cannot since they are not detected . . . . so I seem to be stuck in a rut right now
I don't suppose this could be an issue between an 80- or 40-pin cable. Some systems cannot use an 80-pin cable.
Old 2007-08-19, 16:38   Link #15
Gundam Zero Force

Quote:
I don't suppose this could be an issue between an 80- or 40-pin cable. Some systems cannot use an 80-pin cable.
No I don't beleive that is the issue. The CD and DVD drives that are in my old pc right now have been working for over 2 years or so. I've burned numerous discs and watched numerous shows with them. I don't see how both drives that have been compatiable for a long all of the sudden decide to not work.

I am getting the feeling this may be a software issue, like something is missing inside the computer. When I try to un-install the drives and then I install them again this is what shows up next to the two drives:

Spoiler for device manager:

Then in the lower corner of my screen it says "new devices installed, DVD and cd drives" . . . . . then right after that notice it says "a problem occured during hardware installation. Your devices may not work properly". That is where I have been stuck for a long time now. I am beginning to wonder if I may have to buy a new CD and DVD to fix this issue, I don't know really . . . .
Old 2007-08-19, 16:40   Link #16
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

after i click "Action - Scan for hardware changes" its said found new hardware - does it install itself? it looks like it did...and thats it?

before it was DVD Pioneer, now its only Cd-rom Drive...

after i restart my computer it again showed DVD Pioneer

Last edited by Kazuma77; 2007-08-19 at 16:54. Reason: result of restarting...
Old 2007-08-19, 16:46   Link #17
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

@Kazuma:
I used to use Windows XP... my memory may be faulty, but I believe you have to go through the steps of installing the hardware first. Once you've done that, try testing it to see if it works... without Nero 7. :P

@Gundam Zero Force:
The average life span of a hard drive is three to five years. Is it possible that the drives somehow became corrupt?

Last edited by Urotsukidoji; 2007-08-19 at 16:50. Reason: Forgot about GZF's problem...
Old 2007-08-19, 16:53   Link #18
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

after i restart the computer, and tried with a cd, it still doesn't detect it...like right now i have a cd in... and my program shows this:

and when i open it, it shows nothing...like i dont have anything in it:

Old 2007-08-19, 17:19   Link #19
Urotsukidoji
*IT Support

Well, I have to admit that I'm completely stumped. You restarted your computer, and it listed DVD Pioneer?
Old 2007-08-19, 17:20   Link #20
Kazuma77
Kakashi Fangirl

i cannot copy it.... cause it doesnt detect the cd... i tried to open nero 7 so i could try to burn a file, but when i come to the finish step i couldnt continue cause it said i dont have a cd in my drive...

it acually says:

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16RS - that is only the name of the drive i reinstall.... that doesnt mean it detect the cd...