AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-04-04, 12:12   Link #8601
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
I don't know. The way he gave the cosplayer character the worst end of them all sort of makes me think he wasn't so happy with his cosplayer wife, at least at the time.
Well, given Chisame's personality, it was a logical conclusion. I hated it, but I accepted the logic.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 13:25   Link #8602
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

I don't. Her entire character growth was about her realizing there was more to the world than just the internet. The ending shattered that for... no reason whatsoever.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 16:41   Link #8603
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
I don't. Her entire character growth was about her realizing there was more to the world than just the internet. The ending shattered that for... no reason whatsoever.
That's not the only problem with the "where are they now" bit, as other problems include a number of "where are they now" segments being too "sci-fi" for Negima (in terms of the 2010's), Ken Akamatsu pretty mych hand waving the whole situation with Ako's scar (which is pretty much the main character trait that people were interested in when it came to her), and him pretty much trolling readers by not revealing who ends up with Negi while suggesting that it's not the three most likely students (Asuna, Nodoka, and Yue).
Old 2013-04-04, 20:55   Link #8604
S.Freedom

Arika is my biggest peev honestly. She got no mention for 200 odd chapters. Than we're just supposed to except that those around Negi in on some big plan to keep the truth of who his mother is from him. Not to mention absolutely no clue how she died. Or even if she's dead, but suffering a fate similar to Nagi or Asuna.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 22:18   Link #8605
Spamamdorf

Quote:
Wait what, since when? Wasn't it realizing that she was actually alright with her life as it was and it wasn't as bad as she always said it was? I'm with Sumeragi on this one, I reacted to her ending as "Why did I not see this coming?" because it felt like something she'd do
Spamamdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 07:14   Link #8606
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamamdorf View Post
Wait what, since when? Wasn't it realizing that she was actually alright with her life as it was and it wasn't as bad as she always said it was? I'm with Sumeragi on this one, I reacted to her ending as "Why did I not see this coming?" because it felt like something she'd do
She was happy with her life at the time when she was stuck in a fantasy world with 'a bunch of idiots', risking her life, sticking close to Negi and without accessing her Chiu page in what had been months for Mundus Magicus. That's when Poyo showed her she was happy. And right before and right after that arc, she had shown she was finding her Internet life shallow and pointless.

So Akamatsu basically gave her the one ending that damned her to unhappiness, while everyone else at least got a happy even if awfully done end.
Old 2013-04-05, 10:32   Link #8607
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
You're missing one point: Her entire character growth was tied to Negi. If that tie is cut, then she'll revert to the main thing that was her life.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 11:34   Link #8608
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

That goes for well over half of the characters, yet Chisame's the only one cut.

Besides, it's that "cutting of ties" that's part of the problem. Why did those ties get cut?
Old 2013-04-05, 11:53   Link #8609
Dargor
Welp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
You're missing one point: Her entire character growth was tied to Negi.
The problem here is if that's the case, a characters growth is completely meaningless if they regress back into their own habits. Hell, that would practically mean it didn't happen to begin with.

I'd really like to see the girls function without the damn kid 99.9% of the time, but since this is by in large a harem series...

Quote:
If Akamatsu-sensei's new manga picks Negima! back up, then it is all academic -- he needed a break, but he didn't want to leave fans hanging on for a year or longer, assuming he didn't get a new deal with Kodansha (with Akamatsu-sensei retaining copyrights but granting license to Kodansha to publish and distribute the manga). So, he gives a quick wrap up chapter.
Honestly, you could put a semi-retarded chimp on a typewriter and get a better transition from one portion of the series to the next. Flat out giving us a conclusion to the whole song and dance and proceeding to pick it back up seems like the worst possible thing you can do with a series.

Last edited by Dargor; 2013-04-05 at 12:09.
Dargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 12:57   Link #8610
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargor View Post
The problem here is if that's the case, a characters growth is completely meaningless if they regress back into their own habits. Hell, that would practically mean it didn't happen to begin with.

I'd really like to see the girls function without the damn kid 99.9% of the time, but since this is by in large a harem series...
The finale was rather sexist. Yue is molested in her final fight, and then Negi effortlessly swoops in to save her because we hadn't been reminded enough he's that much better and stronger and smarter than everyone by now.

Ala Alba comes to be called 'Negi's Girls', defining their whole existence as sidekicks. Not even Ala Rubra spun so much around Nagi, but then again, most of them were MEN, right?

The end gave me seriously disgusting 'Negi is too good for any of them!' vibes, especially after the Sports Festival twisted most of them into immature abusive harpies.

Quote:
Honestly, you could put a semi-retarded chimp on a typewriter and get a better transition from one portion of the series to the next. Flat out giving us a conclusion to the whole song and dance and proceeding to pick it back up seems like the worst possible thing you can do with a series.
The author's words on the last volume seemed to hint towards any continuation being an Alternate Universe, though. Maybe picking up from some divergence point like Asuna's departure.

But I think that's just his escape way in case his next series tanks and circumstances FORCE him to do more Negima.

Quote:
Besides, it's that "cutting of ties" that's part of the problem. Why did those ties get cut?
The ties weren't exactly cut anyway, since the end says she kept on being his advisor.
Old 2013-04-05, 16:24   Link #8611
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
The finale was rather sexist. Yue is molested in her final fight, and then Negi effortlessly swoops in to save her because we hadn't been reminded enough he's that much better and stronger and smarter than everyone by now.

Ala Alba comes to be called 'Negi's Girls', defining their whole existence as sidekicks. Not even Ala Rubra spun so much around Nagi, but then again, most of them were MEN, right?

The end gave me seriously disgusting 'Negi is too good for any of them!' vibes, especially after the Sports Festival twisted most of them into immature abusive harpies.
Of course, if that's the case, then the whole "sexist" act would have likely begun with the introduction of the Fate clones.
Old 2013-04-06, 12:53   Link #8612
Dargor
Welp

Quote:
The finale was rather sexist.
If we're going to go there, harem series are rather sexist in their totality. You're right though, the prelude to Negima's end though was horribly done, and the girls twist into parodies of themselves the moment they decide to act against the lead. The Chizuru thing was especially uncomfortable, though that was for a totally different reason.

Quote:
Ala Rubra is their defining trait, though they had the good fortune of having their own lives once their adventures came to an end. They obviously maintained contact with one another, but they went off to do their own thing...except for Alberio, but there's something off about the man anyway.

The epilogue/"Where are they at" thing tried to diffuse this, but as you said, "Negi's girls" thing forces them to revolve around the kid. Only person that doesn't fall into this trap is Eva, for obvious reasons.

Quote:
The end gave me seriously disgusting 'Negi is too good for any of them!'
I admit, I was really pulling for the most of the girls to distance themselves from him, at least romantically, and do their own thing. I guess that's why I was kind of pumped during the early MM arc. But nope, battle tournament.

Quote:
But I think that's just his escape way in case his next series tanks and circumstances FORCE him to do more Negima.
Or he calls it quits all together and retires from the business.
Old 2013-04-06, 17:21   Link #8613
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargor View Post
Or he calls it quits all together and retires from the business.
I suppose it depends on if he has made enough money to retire by then or not. His saying he'd prefer being an editor makes me think he wouldn't even be doing the next series if he could help it. But becoming an editor demands a lot of money to use, invest and risk. More so in Japan, where the huge editorials rule the market with an iron grip. By himself, there isn't that much he can offer authors that editorials can't- Sure, they basically enslave mangaka, but they also get them lucrative contracts on anime adaptations, videogames and merchandise. That's something Akamatsu can't do on his own- even with Kodansha's financial backup, the man can't get a decent and long enough animated adaptation of his own works done.

In short, I see him retiring to pursue his own thing if the next series is another juggernaut, but if it fails, I can see him trying to gain his old fans back in hopes of hitting the jackpot again. He's been quoted in Tumblr as being somewhat disappointed with online publishing (read, J Comi, which is a dumpster for Z-grade manga). He needs another hit the old fashioned style, one way or another.
Old 2013-04-06, 19:48   Link #8614
S.Freedom

He could also work for kodansha/another such group. While his name may've taken a hit because of how Negima ended. I'd still think he commands enough respect within the community that perspective writers would want to work with him.

I think the problem with J Comi is that it's a new concept in a very old fashioned industry. They are still making a profit with printed media. So why risk going digital when the old way is still making them money.
S.Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 19:25   Link #8615
Kuze

There are a lot of magazines that were already digital only by the time Negima came to a end and there's only been more since then.

Comic Valkyrie has gone online. Comic Falcom has gone online. Viz has licensed One-Punch Man for the WSJ digital release, and that is already hosted by the author and Yusuke Murata on a website for anyone to see. seiga.niconico even has a section entirely for free reading of releases, with the authorization of the publishing companies. It just keeps going on and on.

If KA thought he was doing something exciting and hot with j-comi that would spark some kind of revolution, then I just don't know. Maybe he is blind to his industry or something.

Getting linked back to this topic through a relink site through ANN is weird.
Kuze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:26   Link #8616
Dargor
Welp

Quote:
While his name may've taken a hit because of how Negima ended...
I'm not sure how much of that is entirely true. While I certainly get that feeling, most reactions I've seen have been between mellow to rather disappointed, but there isn't a whole lot indicating to me that hes created some clusterfuck that groups like Bioware somehow manage to get themselves into (Then again, larger fanbase) on a consistent basis. I'm not even entirely sure how popular the series was, since the few places I've seen have been rather uninterested in it.

Quote:
If KA thought he was doing something exciting and hot with j-comi that would spark some kind of revolution, then I just don't know. Maybe he is blind to his industry or something.
I honestly haven't followed his work on that front, but the few snippits I've seen give me this impression. Maybe he hoped it would at the very least put another viable media to the industries table, but I'm not seeing any sign of that yet. I don't think you would be completely in the dark about your own craft if you're honestly trying to put something new out there for others to use, but hell, it wouldn't shock me.
Old 2013-04-14, 06:43   Link #8617
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Yeah, to continue the Bioware comparison, Bioware's reputation is in the gutter it is because many of their recent games had or were great disappointments. Dragon Age II, The Old Republic and of course the Mass Effect 3 ending debacle. It wasn't just one game, people were fully supporting Bioware after DAII and even TOR, ME3 was just the final straw in a line of disappointments.

Likewise for Akamatsu, his reputation has taken a hit due to the abysmal ending of Negima, but it's only one event, not enough for him to be completely blacklisted.
Old 2013-04-15, 12:38   Link #8618
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Likewise for Akamatsu, his reputation has taken a hit due to the abysmal ending of Negima, but it's only one event, not enough for him to be completely blacklisted.
It all will depend on how he starts his next series, especially on catching the fancy of the new Japanese readers (older hardcore Japanese otakus are very forgiving as long as you toss them some T&A, love pillows and a crappy video-game tie-in). The majority of the teen audience Shonen magazines aim to isn't particularly concerned with the authors' prior reputation, which is both good (when you have flopped in the past) and bad (when you want to bank on your good name- All the success of Takahashi Rumiko's works still hasn't made Rinn-e more than a series with so-so public recognition that doesn't even have an anime yet).

However, the Akamatsu who will start the next series is probably closer to the tired-of-his-job, rather-be-editing Akamatsu that couldn't be bothered to write a half decent end for Negima than to the man he was at the top of his game.
Old 2013-08-15, 10:55   Link #8619
Sakuratsuki

I just read on anime news network that Ken Akamatsu will begin serializing his new manga series titled Uo Holder in the 39th issue of Kodansha's Weekly Shōnen Magazine.

This means no continuation of Negima . I am a big fan of Ken Akamtsu and i am a bit disappointed. Well let us see what this new manga is like. It will be out on 28 of august. I hope it will be a great manga like Love Hina and Negima.
Sakuratsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 02:51   Link #8620
AstroNerdBoy

One can only hope that the new manga is good like Love Hina or Negima. I'm still hoping for some sort of publication to fill in the gaps left by Negima.

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy