AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-03, 00:34   Link #1
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Velvet Underworld

So I searched the forums for this anime but didnt seem to find anything about it. Anyone got any info on what it is and when it will be released? The promo looks really awesome but it boardcasted last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHywRT3Q6Fk

Seems to me it's be on Hiatus for a while. Don't exactly know what's going on with production but it still doesn't have a release date. Moonphase has it listed as " --/--" which means it doesn't have a clue when this will ever be aired.
Here's the official site http://www.velvet-uw.com/

Found this info from another forum site (credit to JCDRANZER) this was posted 9 June 2007 so...:

The title to the first opening theme which was "Velvet Underworld" by Weiß of 1998's Weiß Kruez (Knight Hunters) TV series. As it turns out, both are the creative effort of Takehito Koyasu, best known as a highly prolific anime seiyuu (ie: Mosquiton, Zechs Marquise in Gundam Wing, Ilpalazzo in Excel Saga). His official title is "editor" and credited with conceiving the original story on the VU project, which at this point remains unformatted (ie: TV, Movie etc..), being referred to simply as "animation" and "multimedia". Character designs come courtesy Kuya Sakaki, production via RADIX mobanimation, Wedge Holdings. The producer is listed as Koichi Kikuchi, Planning and production are being carried out by Velvet Kingdom. An image song titled "ALTERNATIVE" has already been created, Shiu Kagaya, composed by Kazuya Nishioka and performed by The Man himself. The target audience at this point for the anime are women in their late 20's.

Plot:

The story occurs in Tokyo, Uruyu Tomoe is a new fresh detective who was seriously injured after becoming involved in a messy affair. The mysterious girl named Velvet rescued him and he survived, miraculously recovering. In an operation his left hand was replaced with an artificial one. His past memory before the time of his incident remains hazy. He was robbed of everything and the names of thirteen murderers who attacked him were engraved in his skin at that time. Tomoe is recruited as an underworld executioner by Velvet and inherited the legendary assassin's code name, Aya. He swears vengeance, seeking out the thirteen murderers one by one in an effort to bring out the ringleader. Velvet, alias V, who is the granddaughter of the superintendant general of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police recruits criminals (who have excellent abilities) to the underworld in order to have them execute outrageous villains cut loose by the court system and who are beyond the realm of arrest. Now there are 13 troops who have been retrained as underworld executioners including Aya. He organizes his the team depending on the situation, sometimes taking one person and sometimes all 13. The sides lock in battle, each utilizing their own secret martial arts fighting techniques.

Last edited by monir; 2009-11-12 at 20:14. Reason: added specifics; thanks goes to Kaijin!
Old 2008-04-03, 01:39   Link #2
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
I couldn't help but arch my brow at this a little bit. Isn't Velvet Underground the name of a vizkei band? Correct me if I'm wrong, been out of touch with the scene for a while and never was particularly deep into it.

Either way it looks interesting. The trailer had enough blood to say the least although the animation fluidity wasn't exactly the best I've ever seen. A catchy song and violence has me at least watching the first episode.
Old 2008-04-03, 06:32   Link #3
Kaijin
かいじん

Seems to me it's be on Hiatus for a while. Don't exactly know what's going on with production but it still doesn't have a release date. Moonphase has it listed as " --/--" which means it doesn't have a clue when this will ever be aired.
Here's the official site http://www.velvet-uw.com/

Found this info from another forum site (credit to JCDRANZER) this was posted 9 June 2007 so...:

The title to the first opening theme which was "Velvet Underworld" by Weiß of 1998's Weiß Kruez (Knight Hunters) TV series. As it turns out, both are the creative effort of Takehito Koyasu, best known as a highly prolific anime seiyuu (ie: Mosquiton, Zechs Marquise in Gundam Wing, Ilpalazzo in Excel Saga). His official title is "editor" and credited with conceiving the original story on the VU project, which at this point remains unformatted (ie: TV, Movie etc..), being referred to simply as "animation" and "multimedia". Character designs come courtesy Kuya Sakaki, production via RADIX mobanimation, Wedge Holdings. The producer is listed as Koichi Kikuchi, Planning and production are being carried out by Velvet Kingdom. An image song titled "ALTERNATIVE" has already been created, Shiu Kagaya, composed by Kazuya Nishioka and performed by The Man himself. The target audience at this point for the anime are women in their late 20's.

Plot:

The story occurs in Tokyo, Uruyu Tomoe is a new fresh detective who was seriously injured after becoming involved in a messy affair. The mysterious girl named Velvet rescued him and he survived, miraculously recovering. In an operation his left hand was replaced with an artificial one. His past memory before the time of his incident remains hazy. He was robbed of everything and the names of thirteen murderers who attacked him were engraved in his skin at that time. Tomoe is recruited as an underworld executioner by Velvet and inherited the legendary assassin's code name, Aya. He swears vengeance, seeking out the thirteen murderers one by one in an effort to bring out the ringleader. Velvet, alias V, who is the granddaughter of the superintendant general of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police recruits criminals (who have excellent abilities) to the underworld in order to have them execute outrageous villains cut loose by the court system and who are beyond the realm of arrest. Now there are 13 troops who have been retrained as underworld executioners including Aya. He organizes his the team depending on the situation, sometimes taking one person and sometimes all 13. The sides lock in battle, each utilizing their own secret martial arts fighting techniques.
Old 2008-04-03, 07:34   Link #4
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ama no Kagaseo View Post
I couldn't help but arch my brow at this a little bit. Isn't Velvet Underground the name of a vizkei band?
Velvet Underground was one of the early "art-rock" bands. They became intimates of Andy Warhol in the late 60's/early 70's which helped them gain publicity. They did get more television exposure than the "15 minutes" Warhol once claimed all Americans would eventually receive (raises hand).

I have no idea what a "vizkel" band is, but I've never heard that term applied to the Velvet Underground.
Old 2008-04-03, 07:36   Link #5
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I have no idea what a "vizkel" band is, but I've never heard that term applied to the Velvet Underground.
I think he means "Visual Kei" which is a subgenre of J-Rock where the artists dress punk/goth with heavy makeup and crazy hair, hence the "visual" aspect of it.
Old 2008-04-03, 09:32   Link #6
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The plot sounds really good this series gotten me hooked I cant wait for a subbed release. I to had what the fudge expression when I saw the title, reminded me of the band
Old 2008-04-03, 12:04   Link #7
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

I hope they did not decided to stop producing the anime, it sounds really good.
Old 2008-04-03, 17:33   Link #8
Ama no Kagaseo
Your local dark deity.

Send a message via MSN to Ama no Kagaseo Send a message via Yahoo to Ama no Kagaseo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Velvet Underground was one of the early "art-rock" bands. They became intimates of Andy Warhol in the late 60's/early 70's which helped them gain publicity. They did get more television exposure than the "15 minutes" Warhol once claimed all Americans would eventually receive (raises hand).

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. In fact there are a lot of bands that start with 'Velvet' so I think there's one more I'm missing. But at least now I know from Velvet Underground now.

As for visual kei, yeah that's what I meant. The band I was actually reaching for too starts with Velvet, headed by Yoshiki of X Japan fame I believe.

Either way sorry for the confusion in the end.
Old 2008-04-03, 20:52   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I wasnt thinking about the JRock band but this one Velvet Underground . I have a few classic rock compilation CDS and in that Velvet Underground was featured a few times
Old 2009-03-05, 09:57   Link #10
seraphim_grace

As of March 5th they've just announced that there is a drama cd coming out and Koyasu is mentioning it a lot on his blog,
other than that we still have little information
they had a poll to name seiyuu and the first four have been named

<i>
Let us introduce the first four members of the “VELVET UNDERWORLD“ seiyuu unit!

A.Y.A ・・・ Koyasu Takehito
Kuro ・・・ Suzumura Ken'ichi
Dry ・・・ KENN
Pawn ・・・ Toyonaga Toshiyuki<i/>

there is also an 8 page minicomic currently available with
"Koyasu/Iwata no VOICE Kyarabi" magazine

although apparently they are still denying it has anything to do with Weiss Kreuz, although no one believes them
Old 2009-03-06, 17:27   Link #11
FJ-Kowz

Awwww the anime looked interesting, i added it to my "to watch" list before checking the dates of your posts.

Oh well.
Old 2009-03-07, 21:10   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

I get the feeling that Velvet Underworld is a spinoff of Weiss Kreuz which sounds great! :P
Old 2009-08-11, 18:53   Link #13
Kaijin
かいじん

Trailer:

Anyone have any info on this???
Has it already aired? Is it on DVD? Thanks.
Old 2009-08-13, 19:26   Link #14
Kaijin
かいじん

Ok, well this is what a google search got me (if anyone else was wondering what was going on with the anime).

from Animenation News Blog:

After first debuting as a promotional video in 2007, creator Takehito Koyasu’s Velvet Underground music & anime project is now scheduled to be released on May 28th as a series of four “music clip animation” DVDs titled “Velvet Underworld: Fragment Person.”

Takehito Koyasu is best known as a voice actor whose roles include Ilpalazzo in Excel Saga and Rezo in Slayers.

Source: Saishin Anime Jouhouk

So there you have it.
Old 2009-08-14, 02:02   Link #15
Shadow Kira01

Velvet Under World

The anime isn't available yet. You can get the drama albums which also features image songs and also promotional ova for each of the four main characters. Check here for the trailer that takes awhile to load due to its high video quality.
Old 2009-09-28, 15:17   Link #16
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The trailer looks simply marvelous and thanx for all the updates Kaijin . I had lost track and forgotten about this show all together . When I saw the thread I was like wait haven't I posted in this thread . Thanx to Velvet Undrgrnd and C.Designs I am going to follow this show for sure .
Old 2009-11-12, 19:22   Link #17
Beautiful_Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
I get the feeling that Velvet Underworld is a spinoff of Weiss Kreuz which sounds great! :P
I don't think it was ever supposed to have anything to do w/Weiß. I think Koyasu Takehito's thinking was that of "built in audience", yah know? Though it's interesting to note just how much of Weiß makes an appearance in this new story...Velvet Underworld, Aya, Birman and there's another character w/a cat name (play off of the Weiß boys Codenames?!?). Either from lack of creativity, or marketing ploy, or maybe it's just how connected Koyasu Takehito still is to his original brainchild.

When this project was first announced, all the Weiß kreuz fans were hoping Takehito would get all the Weiß members reunited for this, whether it be a spin-off or not. Personally, I wish Takehito would let the Weiß franchise rest...it's to this day my favourite, and I don't want to see it dragged out anymore than it has been (alas, Glühen and Side B *wince*).
Old 2009-11-12, 19:35   Link #18
Beautiful_Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijin View Post
An image song titled "ALTERNATIVE" has already been created, Shiu Kagaya, composed by Kazuya Nishioka
So it's gonna sound like Weiß kreuz, too.

Kazuya Nishioka was the Composer/Arranger for all of the Weiß songs as well as band leader for MIND DIVE, the group who played for all the Weiß concerts except the "Last Live 2003: Tagesanbruch" (when they reuinted for the Glühen series) though Nishioka was there.
Old 2014-03-11, 08:46   Link #19
Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius

Send a message via Yahoo to Satsuki Yuuhi Ramius
Anyone have more new information regarding this anime (?). It's been already 5 years but no new information yet :/
Old 2014-03-11, 10:13   Link #20
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Jesus , that bump
Closed Thread