Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 22:35   Link #821
Ami-chan
Raging Ami-chan Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mean, if Chihaya keeps having these sorts of "folding under the pressure" moments where she just kind of phases out, it'll make her seem a bit like what pro sports fans call "chokers". That's not really the characterization I personally want to see in the lead of a sports anime.
But that's how they transition into the scene where everything comes together and the lead doesn't choke anymore, becoming a true hero and going apesh*t on everyone.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mrjasonpark/Sigs%20and%20Avys/Momo-01-1.jpg
Ami-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 23:44   Link #822
Undertaker

That's the problem I see with Chihaya, as someone mentioned, she's easily influenced by surrounding and it both her biggest strength and weakness.

Though on the flip side, she also recovers fairly quick (which is where Taichi and Arata flashbacks comes in)
Old 2012-01-09, 10:52   Link #823
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

The hotel Chihaya et al are staying at is the Biwako Onsen Koyo. Here's a link to a picture that's pretty close to the animation of the place we see late in the episode.

Just a detail to underline how the show draws its details from real life. Also, since Sudo originally had recommended the hotel to the Mizusawa team, it's less surprising that he's there. Although I still give him credit for checking up on Chihaya...

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 01:47   Link #824
GundamZZ
残念美人

Nice finding, hyperborealis.

The guy who teased Chihaya has his own reason to be there. Somehow, he doesn't explain his reason. He probably will explain it in the upcoming episode.
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 02:46   Link #825
Undertaker

Didn't he already stated that he's there for the individual competition for the next day. Day 1 is team, Day 2 is individual.
Old 2012-01-10, 13:27   Link #826
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
This show honestly makes up for anything lacklustre that is going on early in the new season. Just so much genuine emotion flowing through this episode in particular and the writing being IMO light years ahead of any other anime that's on TV right now.

Where to even start...right from the get go when Chihaya gets sick and isn't able to finish the tournament you know the episode is going to be a roller coaster of emotion and passion. Then we get some Arata moments with his Grandfather telling him that in spite of the stroke he'll learn to play with only his left hand and we sort of see just why Arata was so inspired by this man like Chihaya is inspired by him. Then the show pulls the rug right out from under me by having Grandpa eventually not even be able to recognize his own grandson nor the Karuta cards, which is just frankly one of the most devastating scenes I've had to watch in a while. THEN it does the classic Chihayafuru and he's able to pull himself together at the crunch time, gets Arata to go to the tournament and he's able to see Chihaya in her tournament in the present as well, though not in the capacity he would have wished. THEN we learn that Desktomu was able to pull the team together in the captains absence so that they could represent Tokyo and not go out floundering in the very first round.

Just fantastic stuff all around. Who is writing this show and when can they do more...seriously?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 14:43   Link #827
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Episode 14

The karuta queen reveals herself. Here were the take-away messages.
  • She's in her first year and is the youngest ever karuta queen (Scary!)
  • Her personality is even more sadistic than Sudo (Even scarier!)
  • She has no fashion sense (Even more scary!)
  • She brings her own cup for hot tea (Run, while you still can!)
  • She's left handed (Oh God no!)

Poor Amakasu succumbs to the Worf Effect and it seems Shinobu is one freaking ninja or something (SILENT KARUTA JUTSU!!). Good episode though. Obviously we knew what the result was going to be. Chihaya was going to lose but show she's no push over. Looks like the match will continue to the next episode.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 17:17   Link #828
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Shinobu is awesome. Surprised Chihaya got to play her so soon. Was worried at the beginning. Luckily for her that guy turned the lights off and let her regroup. Looks like she's angered the queen. Can't wait to see the rest of the match. Lol they both have the same likes in shirts.
Old 2012-01-10, 17:40   Link #829
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So that girl truly was the Queen. The youngest Queen in history to boot. It turns out she is another "useless beauty" like Chihaya, the two even have a similar fashion sense apparently. The daddy bear/Snowmaru part was so cute by the way, I didn't see that coming at all so it had an even bigger impact on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Her personality is even more sadistic than Sudo (Even scarier!)
I don't think she's sadistic. She's the same as Arata in that she never goes easy on her opponents; in their case that is a mark of respect rather than pure ruthlessness. When it seemed like Chihaya was about to throw the towel, she was disappointed and deemed her as an unworthy opponent, so she decided to end it quickly. Furthermore, playing against someone who stopped fighting back is not fun. I would have reacted the same way as her.

I loved her "ninja" playing style, the lack of sound makes it quite eerie. I like how her karuta is basically the polar opposite of Chihaya's too: she's a defensive player and she relies on speed and dexterity (the way she took the card at 13:25 was insane) rather than on her hearing. Each of them has an advantage over the other and that makes the match even more interesting. I don't think there is any way Chihaya will win though.
Old 2012-01-10, 17:48   Link #830
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't think she's sadistic. She's the same as Arata in that she never goes easy on her opponents; in their case that is a mark of respect rather than pure ruthlessness. When it seemed like Chihaya was about to throw the towel, she was disappointed and deemed her as an unworthy opponent, so she decided to end it quickly. Furthermore, playing against someone who stopped fighting back is not fun. I would have reacted the same way as her.
That was based more on her trolling Sudo than anything else. Maybe not sadism but she definitely likes winding people up.
Old 2012-01-10, 18:22   Link #831
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
That was based more on her trolling Sudo than anything else. Maybe not sadism but she definitely likes winding people up.
I had forgotten about that. She did make fun of him, and to be fair, he deserved it
Old 2012-01-10, 18:33   Link #832
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

On second thought, maybe it's just him she likes winding up. I could certainly see why. In any case i'm just about ready to ship them two together. Karuta would be their sex...
Old 2012-01-10, 19:56   Link #833
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Wow the queen is so sexy ;__;
Old 2012-01-10, 21:25   Link #834
Kirarakim

Oh there are too many great female characters in this series: Chihaya, Kana, and now the queen. I love it.

Anyways great match between Chihaya and the Queen. Although I am sure Chihaya won't beat the queen this early on, I am glad it looks like it will be a real match not a slaughter. Can't wait for the conclusion in the 2nd ep.

But I have to say my favorite moment is when they got excited over each other's t-shirts.
Old 2012-01-10, 22:57   Link #835
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
On second thought, maybe it's just him she likes winding up. I could certainly see why. In any case i'm just about ready to ship them two together. Karuta would be their sex...
Really, 'cause I'm ready to go Sudo/Chihaya. Forget Taichi and Arata, go for the male tsundere.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 23:21   Link #836
GundamZZ
残念美人

It's another great episode about Chihaya's growth, and her opponents' character development.
It's a party of Karuta lovers. They gather together to pursue their goals: to become Master and Queen. They use their own style and form to achieve it. It's 50% martial art and 50% sport.

天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-10, 23:27   Link #837
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

^ Wow, that shot is just perfect, I'm surprised there are even people who've done Chihayafuru cosplay!
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 00:41   Link #838
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Just fantastic stuff all around. Who is writing this show and when can they do more...seriously?
Yuki Setsugu is the mangaka, so the show already has a very good story to work with. We also know that good story isn't enough for a decent anime adaptation. Naoya Takayama is doing the series composition. They have also got a very good group of script writer working on it as evident from episodes like 12, 13, and now 14. The list of episode directors that are involved echoes how this show remains so consistently good with the anime adaptation. I totally agree with you that this show is so very good just because how balanced it has been at projecting the right amount of emotion for the audience. I've caught up to this show about 6 weeks ago and since then it is the only show that I've regularly made time for every week.

Episode 14 was superb! I can hardly wait for episode 15.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 01:23   Link #839
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Loved Episode 14.

It provided two key things that I think the show needed at precisely this moment:

1. A new, good, and very strong antagonist. The Queen serves this role very well.

2. Chihaya not folding under pressure, and keeping her wits/faculties about her. Chihaya is losing, but it's due to the sheer strength of her opponent, and not due to Chihaya succumbing to psychological stress or sickness. Plus, it does help that Chihaya at least won a short match, partly off-camera.

It's also nice to see Chihaya showcased in individual competition. As compelling and fun as the team competitions have been, it was a good change of pace to see the titular character go off on her own for a bit in this individuals tournament.

9/10 for Episode 14.
Old 2012-01-11, 01:54   Link #840
EroKing

How many of you wished for a Arata and Queen match after watching this?

Tags
josei, karuta, madhouse