AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-05, 01:29   Link #21
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
I'd like to draw attention to Apos Mekhanes Thanes(Kishin Taisen) Gigantic Formula's soundtrack since virtually no one gave the series any attention when it came out during Spring '07 (which was probably too awesome a season for it I guess).
Yeah Spring 07 was just too stacked, hopefully I can finish every decent and up show by the time Spring 08 starts
Old 2007-12-07, 18:59   Link #22
Rasqual Twilight
~Walking on the Milkyway~

Well, my stamp of approval will go to Claymore's sound track, which nicely complemented the show [宅見将典/TAKUMI Masanori], although a bit repetitive at times. It has a touch of what's found in Disney's scores that make it sound 'marvellous' and epic.

Kawai's SnM score was fine, but after a few more listens I'm not too sure it is that amazing, though that Nahji "nursery rhyme" truly stands out.
Old 2007-12-09, 07:44   Link #23
andromeda0201

I second the Byosuku 5cm OST, it was simply beautiful....
And of course Seirei no Moribito was pretty good, especially as mentioned... Omoi Haruka and Nahji no Uta

I was going to mention the Romeo x Juliet soundtrack as well because I pretty much loved most of the background music throughout the anime, but since the OST itself hasn't been released I cant say for sure
Old 2007-12-13, 20:04   Link #24
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Ha found one ^^. One of mine has to be the background music for the "Sky Girls" Series. The ambience of the music is really fulfilling ^^.

I'll second Ef ~a fairytale of the two~ soundtrack too. Though I only like 1 or 2 of the OST soundtrack in it. The ending is very nicely sung by Hiroko Taguchi ^^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2007-12-14, 12:31   Link #25
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'm going to bring nominations to a close this Sunday, December 16th. Voting will commence soon thereafter. If you want to nominate a score, or express your support for the ones already listed here, the time to do so is now.
Old 2007-12-14, 13:37   Link #26
Ottocycle

Can I have more? Even though I have taken my picks, I hope I can second one more.

I came a little late to watching Dennou Coil, and am currently going through it now. It kinda shook me awake to the original purpose of BGMs in the first place, it completely doesn't distinguish itself during most character interactions, mostly serving as a kind of pedestal for the actual scene itself, yet somehow comes in with an exactly on-cue series of notes to accent the culmination of a particular scene. Since I haven't gotten to the later(presumably darker) eps, the end of a comedic scene going right into a eyecatch comes straight to mind for me when I think about that aspect.

Well, that, and 子供の遊び is a scary track. Very misleading indeed.
Old 2007-12-14, 14:59   Link #27
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
Well, that, and 子供の遊び is a scary track. Very misleading indeed.
Sure, I'll be happy to let someone else endorse Dennou Coil!

That particular track well characterizes why I love this score. All throughout this work Saito juxtaposes themes that connote childlike playfulness with ones that convey dark menace. This track bounces from one theme to the other seemingly without effort. Of course, all of Dennou Coil is about the juxtaposition of light and dark in our lives.

Not knowing Japanese, I'm afraid I can't see why the title is misleading. Does anyone know where I might find English translations of the titles?
Old 2007-12-15, 12:34   Link #28
Ottocycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That particular track well characterizes why I love this score. All throughout this work Saito juxtaposes themes that connote childlike playfulness with ones that convey dark menace. This track bounces from one theme to the other seemingly without effort. Of course, all of Dennou Coil is about the juxtaposition of light and dark in our lives.

Not knowing Japanese, I'm afraid I can't see why the title is misleading. Does anyone know where I might find English translations of the titles?
The first time I played it, I wondered what phantom track did I add into my player!

That track's name is pronounced as "Kodomo no Asobi", and it means "Children's Game".
"Gone Horribly Wrong", if I might add. Hence the misleading part with the title, and 2/3's of the music itself.

I don't know of any translated track titles out there, but I can try translating them for you if you'd like. My Japanese is nowhere near fully fledged though. Just give me a PM if you want them.
Old 2007-12-15, 21:59   Link #29
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
For me it has to be the following:

Claymore, by Masanori Takumi, very varied, out-of-the-norm songs (uncommon genres and songs always win me over).

Darker Than Black, by Yoko Kanno (*points at his Kanno fanboy persona*). Plus, there's Mai Yamane doing a song for YK again, just like old times.

Baccano!, by Yoshimori Makoto. I can't believe just how widely ignored this series was. Possibly the best series of 2007, and with the most awesome soundtrack of the year to boot. All sorts of classy bar jazz and blues for the win (*points to himself as a jazz enthusiast*).

Sketchbook, by Muramatsu Ken. Perhaps it doesn't excel in technical quality or execution, but what I want to remark with this nomination is how fitting the soundtrack is to the series. After all, that's any soundtrack's true job.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
Old 2007-12-21, 19:20   Link #30
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Nominations - Final Round

Naturally reality has not been kind to the old Sensei. We have too many scores tied with two nominations to fit into nine nominees. I propose a final round of discussion to finalize the list of competitors.

I counted up the number of times a show was mentioned positively in the postings above. The results are here:

In summary, six scores got three or more nominations and will pass over to the final round. They are: Byousoku 5 Centimeter, Dennou Coil, Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight, Seirei no Moribito, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, and Toward the Terra.

At most, that leaves three additional "slots" in the poll (leaving one for "others"), so I propose another round of discussion about which of the following scores most deserve to join the other six. They are:

Claymore
Darker than Black
ef - A Tale of Memories
El Cazador
Oh! Edo Rocket
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Sola
Touka Gettan

The following series were nominated once, but not endorsed a second time. They'll need a second endorsement from someone before they can compete on equal terms with the shows in the group above.

Animatrix Beyond
Baccano
Clannad
FLAG
Gigantic Formula
Heroic Age
Kyoshiro to Tora no Sora
Mai Otome Zwei
Mononoke
Shinkyojku Soukai Polyphonica
Sketchbook
Sky Girls

I also arbitrarily eliminated Nodame Cantabile from contention for the reasons I gave above.

Only endorsements from people who have not yet spoken in favor of a score will be counted, though you're welcome to argue in favor of your preferences in hopes of swaying people over to you. You have until January 1st to voice your support for one or more of these scores. The poll will be released soon thereafter.
Old 2007-12-21, 20:38   Link #31
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

If we're talking about scoring, I'd like to add a nomination for Touka Gettan. I thought it really stood out.

Quote:
Notice that I haven't mentioned either the OP or ED to these series; I'd like to focus this discussion on the scores themselves. For instance, the score for Seirei no Moribito earned a runner-up nomination from me, even though I disliked both the OP and the ED for that show.
I got a little confused by the topic and had to reread your post for clarification. I believe a score refers to exactly what you're talking about: the dramatic underscoring of a film or television show. A soundtrack would include all the music in a film or TV show or a selection of the music packaged for commercial distribution.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2007-12-21 at 21:40. Reason: Combining posts is preferable...
Old 2007-12-21, 21:07   Link #32
DanielSong39

I've only watched one episode of ef ~ a tale of memories, but the music is TOP NOTCH.

Not sure what accolades the composer has received, but he deserves everything he's gotten.
Old 2007-12-22, 06:29   Link #33
Blaat

Quote:
The first is the soundtrack for Oh! Edo Rocket by Honma Yusuke. Honma joins in with the overall anachronistic "alternative-history" themes of this show by composing a score based on 1940's big-band jazz with occasional ventures into 50's and 60's progressive jazz. In a show where people from 1860 use technologies from 2007, why not have a score with music from neither period? Listening to this score has made me wonder how much of it is drawn from the US Occupation period after the end of World War II. Was the big-band sound of people like the Dorseys the soundtrack of reconstruction Japan? BTW, the band recruited for these tracks is really hot.
Its not just Jazz is it? I'm pretty sure Gonjiro's theme (P.Passion, Passion and Heaven tracks) are Spanish, if not Spanish then Latin in nature.

Anyway I love Oh!!! Edo Rocket OST and personally for me its soundtrack stood out the most of all the shows I've seen this year.
Old 2007-12-25, 21:57   Link #34
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Of these, the bolded ones are the ones I like the most.

Claymore
Darker than Black
ef - A Tale of Memories
El Cazador
Oh! Edo Rocket (not a personal preference in style, but I admit it is actually a very good score)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Sola
Touka Gettan

And of the last selection,

Animatrix Beyond
Baccano
Clannad
FLAG
Gigantic Formula
Heroic Age
Kyoshiro to Tora no Sora
Mai Otome Zwei
Mononoke (Didn't I nominate this one anyway? How can nobody else agree?!)
Shinkyojku Soukai Polyphonica
Sketchbook
Sky Girls

Though I admit there are a couple there I haven't watched/listened to, but I have most, and I have many, many soundtracks as music is a very important part of the anime experience to me (as opposed to manga) so the bolded ones really do stand out this year.
Old 2007-12-26, 00:37   Link #35
kucigaromeo
Hell Kitty
*Fansubber

For BGMs El Cazador de la Bruja by Kajiura Yuki, I only got the first OST but in the Anime the BGMs are perfect fit for the scenes. Especially like the epic tracks used on fighting scenes.

my anidb list: http://anidb.net/u224323
Hidamari Sketch, Arts of Innocence
Old 2007-12-29, 13:13   Link #36
Rooxy

Good question.... I would say Riyu Kosaka (Claymore ED Single - Danzai no Hana ~Guilty Sky~)

Because she got a great voice ^.^
I really hope that her career will be even more successful!!! Even thought the band BeForU disbanded a few... no wait... not yet but soon..T.T

Aoie_Emesai: o ya... do you mean baby's tears? If so... just so you know... Riyu Kosaka is the singer! ^^ If you want the song? I can give you it, or link it!^^
bye theen..

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-12-30 at 02:29. Reason: rules
Old 2007-12-30, 14:05   Link #37
AnimeFangirl

I didn't watch much anime this year but Seirei no Moribito had a fantastic score. It "fit" perfectly and stood out at the same time.
Old 2007-12-30, 14:50   Link #38
Generic Asian Guy
^_^

Send a message via MSN to Generic Asian Guy
I loved the music from both Sola and ef - a tale of memories

It's like, I could play them on a stereo and bring them with me everywhere, as a means to serenade girls
Old 2007-12-31, 20:44   Link #39
Southern Cross
Crux

I very much enjoyed the soundtrack of Sola. Its variety seems to nicely reflect the many different and unique moods of the environments and situations throughout the anime.
Old 2007-12-31, 22:43   Link #40
Falkor

Here are my nominations...

ef - A Tale of Memories
Tenmon’s score really stood out in different key scenes throughout this anime. The music ranges from slow and soothing to very emotional, portraying the feelings and internal struggle/dilemma of the characters.

Touka Gettan
Touka Gettan has probably the most confusing story laid out in reverse order. I was able to watch the first 7 or 8 episodes without understanding that much at all, but something that did impress me was the music. It’s hard to find words describing the type of score I was listening to, but it somehow reminded me of the one Yoko Kanno did for Escaflowne years ago (I’m still listening to it). It creates the feeling that you are witnessing a familiar and yet distant world/universe.

Clannad

The score is very similar to its predecessors Air and Kanon because it brings emotions along the way. However, I consider Clannad to be more diverse and yet very fitting of the innumerable situations presented in the anime.
Closed Thread