AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is your preffered mating race?
Same/Own Race 33 49.25%
White(Caucosoid) 12 17.91%
Asian(Mongoloid) 15 22.39%
Black(Negroid) 1 1.49%
Hispanic 0 0%
Arab 2 2.99%
Other Hybrids (describe the racial mixture) 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-08-13, 08:59   Link #61
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz
Even though the white majority is supposedly disappearing, high society is mostly constructed with the white majority and will stay that way much longer even after the "white majority" disappears, this perceived notion with skin color and wealth has always been a factor among the elite, as long as you want to be at the top you'll have to conform, if not in likeliness then in mannerism, always sacrificing a part of one's self identity to become part of the "elite."
Fortunately, in America, most people spend their whole lives barely aware of the filthy rich "elite." Unlike the aristocrats of old, their influence in the day-to-day lives and even the echelons of power are not nearly as great. They don't have any extra inherent rights nor do they command public obedience, their only privileges being inherited wealth and connections, generations of Ivy League education, etc.

Americans don't give a **** about them for the most part, very little fascination, very little interest; so this doesn't affect much more than people marrying directly into Old Money, and for those who do your skin color is just the beginning of problems. I wouldn't say anybody really feels the pressure to date whites because of this reason beyond the few unfortunate souls that are born with the burden of a silver spoon.

The celebrity circle is much less racist than you perceive too. It might have been racist before, but that's not the case now. And didn't South Park joke about how Jews should show Scientologists a thing or two about who really owns Hollywood.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 09:11   Link #62
Nosauz

Eh, celebrity is another thing but i do agree it has become much more open but there are still some prejudicial things about it.

But if you think about it, the old money, the financial power still lies with a select few. Even if middle america doesn't care about the "elite" they do shape our monetary policy they do help influence our laws. Actually a large portion of americans consider race a big issue, maybe not the youths of my generation, but one generation back and you can see the lines, and even some cultures even stress these interracial minglings.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 09:12   Link #63
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Even within Asians there are also sub-races, like the Chinese having the Hokkien, Hakka, Teochew, etc. Each of them have a different kind of racial look, and I am something like an in-between plus Malay.

If you are talking about looks, I would say that Eurasians look great. Brawns, I would say Negroes x Asian (someone from North India, preferably Gurkha). If you want brains, I would rather you add everything into the mix and mate it with an alien with superior intelligence. Why? Humans are all stupid in one way or another.

Then again, you have to see if the dominant genes kick in or not. It is impossible to have a child with all the dominant genes from the parents, recessive genes will always be present, otherwise the being would be unable to function at all, i.e there is no such thing as perfect (help me give a kick between the legs to the next perfectionist you see. They are ruining the world).

Ah heck, catgirls (like Azunyan or Honoka) are still the best. Nyaa~.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Eh, celebrity is another thing but i do agree it has become much more open but there are still some prejudicial things about it.

But if you think about it, the old money, the financial power still lies with a select few. Even if middle america doesn't care about the "elite" they do shape our monetary policy they do help influence our laws. Actually a large portion of americans consider race a big issue, maybe not the youths of my generation, but one generation back and you can see the lines, and even some cultures even stress these interracial minglings.
The reason why it seems that the "whites" are always the elites is because of the structure of Asian societies, always leaning on the extremes of control and chaos (Singapore doesn't count. It is too small). Another thing I find different (this is IMO, debate if you want) is that my Asian friends, compared to my European/American friends, are less liberal, and have a staunch view of black and white, giving little or no space for grey. Maybe it is because they perceive sitting on the fence as dangerous (Humpty Dumpty is a good example), and taking a side or being out of the issue altogether is the best way for oneself. Eventually, this pass down from generation to generation and resulting in "backward thinking" or "foolish risk-taking".

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 11:03   Link #64
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Ugh, where's the "race isn't important" option?

My husband is half Japanese, part Norweigan and part other european. His ethnicity matters absolutely zero.
The woman of our dreams is Caucasian, as am I, again, her ethnicity doesn't matter; I fell for HER, not her race.

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
cheyannew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 13:22   Link #65
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The reason why it seems that the "whites" are always the elites is because of the structure of Asian societies, always leaning on the extremes of control and chaos (Singapore doesn't count. It is too small). Another thing I find different (this is IMO, debate if you want) is that my Asian friends, compared to my European/American friends, are less liberal, and have a staunch view of black and white, giving little or no space for grey. Maybe it is because they perceive sitting on the fence as dangerous (Humpty Dumpty is a good example), and taking a side or being out of the issue altogether is the best way for oneself. Eventually, this pass down from generation to generation and resulting in "backward thinking" or "foolish risk-taking".
not really when you consider that in the US, the bastion of freedom, not too long ago it was a felony for a white to marry a black in the state of georgia. And mind you this was not but 30years ago. These feelings of animosity don't just disappear, the notion of a no color america is far from reality yet people continue to tout this pipe dream as if it is a reality, but its been proven in studies that african americans with a white sounding name have better chances at success in academics. Again the world is divided by these lines whether or not you choose to believe it, people still see race as a device to divide people.
Old 2009-08-13, 20:28   Link #66
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Americans don't give a **** about them for the most part, very little fascination, very little interest; so this doesn't affect much more than people marrying directly into Old Money, and for those who do your skin color is just the beginning of problems. I wouldn't say anybody really feels the pressure to date whites because of this reason beyond the few unfortunate souls that are born with the burden of a silver spoon.
Americans may not care, but I think the ideal of American wealth plays significantly into how other countries and their people view us.

People will choose their mates based on race and skin color simply because of its association with the culture. In this sense, it's not uncommon for pretty girls in China to flock to the big cities (Shanghai, for example) to try and nab a foreign man. Many things today also remain dominated by western ideals or western-centered practices, and the desire for marriage between races has significant ties to wealth. I think that as long as America remains an immigrant society, there will be some affect here. But, in this sense, it's not exclusively the million/billionaires, it's American society in general.

Let me sum it up this way. My dad once came to pick me up from an art lesson, and noticed that one of the girls there was very pretty. When I told him she was half Filipino and half Japanese, but didn't know which side of her family was which, he said: "Her mom's Filipino and her dad's Japanese."

I asked him how he knew, and he bluntly said, "You think a Filipino man can get a Japanese woman to marry him?" I found out the next week that he had been right after all.

It's a lesson I'll keep in mind for the rest of my romantic life. As long as men will continue to be viewed as the main bread-winners in a family, I believe this sort of understanding of romance, dating, and marriage will be applicable. I'm sure White men are just as attracted to Asian women as Asian men are attracted to White women, but I don't think there's a balance in the number of relationships that'll actually go through comparatively. Thus, race continues to be a factor in how people choose to date/marry, especially in relation to that stereotype in regards to wealth.

I'm sorry if this may have offended anyone from the Philipines, which it wasn't meant to. My apologies. It's just that, my dad, who grew up in China, watched the rapid developments of his own country with the previously (and arguably, still prevalent) Chinese mindset of western superiority and a necessity for change in China. And I don't think this type of thinking, in which the dominant racial group from specific countries are considered "more desirable" in marriage or mating, is rare. It's applicable in many countries outside of the exclusivity of the G8/developed countries in particular.

Last edited by Kylaran; 2009-08-13 at 20:52.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:38   Link #67
LeoXiao
思想工作

I'm half caucasian and half east asian, but I would prefer an asian wife because of the influence my mom (chinese) has over me. Of course, it doesn't matter as long as I can get along well with the woman in question. If I could find a caucasian wife who was compatible that would work too. It's just that in my experience it is usually asians that have the traits that I gravitate towards.

Probably because I don't know any black people well, I cannot imagine having a black wife, and frankly (not out of racism) they would be on the bottom of my list. I generally don't find their mindsets to be compatible with mine. I also find dark skin to be a visual turn-off, so that also has something to do with it.

I find it bothersome that Asian women idealize white men, and while this may be because of biases associated with my upbringing, I think that what bothers me most about it is that those women seem to be brainlessly chasing after whites simply because they have money, are less reserved, different, etc. One Chinese girl has told me that I looked good, but she would prefer a white boyfriend because they "seemed like more fun." It's the superficiality that is present in this mentality that pisses me off.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:42   Link #68
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
assimilate with the white majority, it is the only way...
I have one problem with this statement: from what I've seen, white genes are trumped by practically everything. Kind of hard to assimilate anything with a recessive gene...
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:55   Link #69
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I have one problem with this statement: from what I've seen, white genes are trumped by practically everything. Kind of hard to assimilate anything with a recessive gene...
what are you talking about, you basic selectivly breed the whiteness into your lineage. Basically i'm a dark tan china man who sometimes looks mexican, but if i married a white woman, my kids would have the possibility to be not as tan and dark as me, not have my brown eyes, not have jet black hair. I mean look at some pale "blacks" they really just look like tan white people because of their "white" features coupled with their skin tone. Of course my mother wants me to marry chinese but i really don't care, if its "love" then i'll marry but I do find myself thinking about the benefits to my offspring if I were to select a mate, and a white female would be the best or else a native american, but thats just how I see the world.
Old 2009-08-14, 02:14   Link #70
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
what are you talking about, you basic selectivly breed the whiteness into your lineage. Basically i'm a dark tan china man who sometimes looks mexican, but if i married a white woman, my kids would have the possibility to be not as tan and dark as me, not have my brown eyes, not have jet black hair. I mean look at some pale "blacks" they really just look like tan white people because of their "white" features coupled with their skin tone. Of course my mother wants me to marry chinese but i really don't care, if its "love" then i'll marry but I do find myself thinking about the benefits to my offspring if I were to select a mate, and a white female would be the best or else a native american, but thats just how I see the world.
Well, of course you can assimilate a genetic line into a white population over time if you selective breed. But if the selection is more random, you're going to eventually end up with an equilibrium where the traits associated with dominant genes are more common. And correct me if I'm wrong on this, but the genes (there's more than one) associated with light skin are not dominant genes.

So unless you're selectively breeding, the long term trend should lead you away from a white majority population, finally hitting equilibrium where whites are a minority. And if you are selectively breeding... well, you better have a pretty big white population in comparison to what you're trying to assimilate, because you're going to need it.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 02:41   Link #71
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

There is a huge huge misconception about hispanics... hispanics ARE NOT a race. Here are some facts:

- There are 3 major races in the hispanic community:

- White hispanics.
- Black hispanics
- Native American indian hispanics.

- There is also a large population of middle eastern people.
- There is a small Asian and Jewish population.

- Many Latin American people are mixed, it is increasingly rare to find people without many mix trails, unlike the US or Asian countries.

As for the question at hand; I don't really care which because I come from a very mixed family.
Sugetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 02:48   Link #72
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Location: Living on a remote island somewhere in the South Pacific
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Agreed! ^_^

When I was still schooling in ITE (Institute of Technical Education) in 2003 and 2004 I had a relationship with an Asian (Chinese) girl and I'm Asian and Arab mixed. Race does not matter to me when it comes to relationships. This relationship did not last long.. for like about six months or so.. but we broke up not because of our race, mind you!
KongZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 04:03   Link #73
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
Agreed! ^_^

When I was still schooling in ITE (Institute of Technical Education) in 2003 and 2004 I had a relationship with an Asian (Chinese) girl and I'm Asian and Arab mixed. Race does not matter to me when it comes to relationships. This relationship did not last long.. for like about six months or so.. but we broke up not because of our race, mind you!
You from the red dot? ITE is stereotyped as "It's The End" and ALSO stereotyped as "a recycling facility" where "the hopeless are given hope to be not what they are".

Despite the stereotypical view that it is a place for Malays and Indians dominate the population of such institutes, it is NOT true because there are Chinese and other races in there too. This is a good example that race does not play a part in improving a person's intelligence, across the board, every race is still considered stupid.

* - I have no idea how this stereotypes come about, but it has got something to do with the generic stupidity of human beings and the all too generic black-and-white views among the locals.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 04:14   Link #74
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Yes! I was a Singaporean before moving to Malaysia last year! ^_^

And I have to agree that alot of people tend to look down on ITE students and said that we are not smart and have a bleak future. But there are friends I met back then who are intelligent and special in their own ways. Its true that most ITE students are Malays and Indians, to which alot of people think that Malays and Indians are poor in their education but this is not true. I've saw alot of Chinese ITE students back during my days there. BTW, racism is the worst >.>

We are all human beings and that's all there is to it. There's no such thing as a superior race or an inferior race! Everyone are the same! ^_^
Old 2009-08-14, 08:20   Link #75
Kylegoblue

I've dated women from a broad spectrum of different races and they were all the same where it mattered. Race is not as important as some would have us believe. I'm an African American with some white and native american ancestry and I'm dating an Indian woman (south Asian). We both love anime, video games, art and fishing. This is tough for people to accept sometimes because humans love to stereotype and when you don't fit into their box that they've created for you then their little minds go boom.

I've found culture and religion to be bigger factors in how well I get along with my dates than race. Of course living in the US there are always outside factors and familial issues because we've all been brainwashed to prejudge people by the color of their skin.

Good topic!
Kylegoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 08:58   Link #76
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mai Tokiha View Post
We are all human beings and that's all there is to it. There's no such thing as a superior race or an inferior race! Everyone are the same! ^_^
Look I'm not saying there is a superior race, but there is perceived idea of superiority and actual benefits of being one race than another, this is the truth. Genetically were pretty much all the same, maybe a couple of genes here or there are different, and couple of amino acids are in different order but we are 99.9% similar to one another. My point is that society, especially American society confers benefits to being a certain race, special treatment for others and I'm just pointing out this social construct that many people want to say no longer exists but is live and well today. Honestly I scoff every time someone says that there is "equal" opportunity in America or that America is colorblind. Its not being about superior or inferior its about the way society and the world percieves your "race" and what it means in your professional and personal life, well at least that's what I'm trying to get at.

@0utf0xzer0
Hey my point is that all I'm doing is thinking about the advantages of being white, and those advantages make me think that there is some value in dating with a white mate, not to mention being able to confer my children with a white sounding last name is another benefit, so even if they look tan, they won't be subjugated by stereotypes based on their last name.
Old 2009-08-14, 09:03   Link #77
KongZilla
Sugar_Prayer <333

Quote:
Look I'm not saying there is a superior race, but there is perceived idea of superiority and actual benefits of being one race than another, this is the truth. Genetically were pretty much all the same, maybe a couple of genes here or there are different, and couple of amino acids are in different order but we are 99.9% similar to one another. My point is that society, especially American society confers benefits to being a certain race, special treatment for others and I'm just pointing out this social construct that many people want to say no longer exists but is live and well today. Honestly I scoff every time someone says that there is "equal" opportunity in America or that America is colorblind. Its not being about superior or inferior its about the way society and the world percieves your "race" and what it means in your professional and personal life, well at least that's what I'm trying to get at.
Actually, I wasn't referring to you or any other members in gerenal. I was merely expressing my points of view. I apologize if you think my post was directed at you but its not.
Old 2009-08-14, 09:11   Link #78
Nosauz

Well the OP kind of uses really simplistic methods to describe the "five major" races when in actuality its quite complex. But yea I mainly am referring to the long history of the modern world and the current political climate of the states as a way to talk about the importance of race.
Old 2009-08-14, 11:22   Link #79
Anisha93

In India......girls or guys who are considerably fair are called more"beautiful".......you might find hundreds of commercials of face-whitening creams on a local channel.....why such mentality in the first place? Indian guys prefer foreign girls because they are 'fair' as this trait cannot be obsered much here.....I am an NRI(born in Dubai) and shifted here about 2 years ago.......it still seems to be strange because black is a beauty in itself, so is tan and no one wants EVERYONE in this world to be only white.....

Although nowadays, skin colour really doesn't matter unless its true love(lol), if the attitude & personality of a person is good, and he/she earns well.....and there are many debates and discussions going on about it....
Old 2009-08-14, 12:20   Link #80
Sassy_Bread
I'm umami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyannew View Post
Thank you.

Despite people tending to date people just because of a certain racial preference (for example here, seeing that this is an anime forum and some are affected by yellow fever)...I believe that love has no borders, including ones set up by races and ethnicities. The idea of dating a person just because he/she's this race is absolutely ridiculous.

That said, I'm Asian, but many of the guys I had crushes on in the past were white. My boyfriend is half white and half hispanic, but looks white. So, I guess I can say that I tend to like white guys better, even though my preference was affected by location.
Now, of course, my extended family has no qualms about this, since they saw it coming. However, my mom has lamented once that guys in the Philippines seem to be better there than guys in the States...>_>
Sassy_Bread is offline   Reply With Quote