AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-04-22, 12:40   Link #121
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In general, I'd expect the giant killing to come at the end -- although I suspect there will be a giant killing every few episodes from now on. But not in ep4, which dramatically would make most sense as a promising loss.
Haha, no, I agree; ETU losing the match next episode would be the dramatically most sensible outcome. What I mean in terms of the match 'delivering' is finally giving us a hint as to what Tatsumi's 'Giant Killing' strategies are like. What we've gotten so far has been moderately interesting in a technical sense--showing speed and stamina wearing down a defense conditioned to instinctually chase after the ball, or how establishing a false pattern of passing to forwards can set up a direct shot into goal. However, these somewhat 'cheap' strategies seem more aimed at ETU's own weaknesses than openings a decent opponent might actually have. All we've really seen so far has been rough unpolished newbies taking the piss out of the more skilled regulars in the team: with such glaring weaknesses in the regulars, and such unreliability in the youngsters, the anime seems to have put more emphasis on how crappy the team is than how Tatsumi has actually taught them anything. What I'm waiting to see are the actual compositions, formations, and strategies making use of these players that will make the titular 'Giant Killings' possible--that's what this anime is taking four episodes to finally get to, and what I'm calling a 'tease'.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 12:58   Link #122
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

In football, as in any sport, it takes time to turn a doormat into a contender. I certainly didn't expect it happen in three episodes. I think it's vital to see the depths to which ETU has sunk to then appreciate the payoff later when they're revived.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-22, 15:43   Link #123
elindir
Overreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
In football, as in any sport, it takes time to turn a doormat into a contender. I certainly didn't expect it happen in three episodes. I think it's vital to see the depths to which ETU has sunk to then appreciate the payoff later when they're revived.
That's right. ETU will basically be rebuiét from the basics by the new manager.
Old 2010-04-22, 16:11   Link #124
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Haha, no, I agree; ETU losing the match next episode would be the dramatically most sensible outcome. What I mean in terms of the match 'delivering' is finally giving us a hint as to what Tatsumi's 'Giant Killing' strategies are like. What we've gotten so far has been moderately interesting in a technical sense--showing speed and stamina wearing down a defense conditioned to instinctually chase after the ball, or how establishing a false pattern of passing to forwards can set up a direct shot into goal. However, these somewhat 'cheap' strategies seem more aimed at ETU's own weaknesses than openings a decent opponent might actually have. All we've really seen so far has been rough unpolished newbies taking the piss out of the more skilled regulars in the team: with such glaring weaknesses in the regulars, and such unreliability in the youngsters, the anime seems to have put more emphasis on how crappy the team is than how Tatsumi has actually taught them anything. What I'm waiting to see are the actual compositions, formations, and strategies making use of these players that will make the titular 'Giant Killings' possible--that's what this anime is taking four episodes to finally get to, and what I'm calling a 'tease'.
Well, to be fair in the manga they show the full strategy and formation for the 'giant killing' match between Eastham and Portsmouth right from the first chapter, so I already stated how pissed off I am that they removed that in the anime adaptation. Still, it's going to be a 26 ep anime, so 4 episodes in isn't not bad.

About the team being bad, it fits the underdog theme as well. After all, if they're a good time it will be an all-star big match, not a giant killing. Most of them are crappy players with a single exceptional skill. For example, Tsubaki has poor mentality but superb speed and stamina, Gino has technique but also a bad attitude, Murakoshi lacks speed and stamina but got good experience, etc. Now it depends on Tatsumi to make the best of these players, which we'll see next episode.

One more thing, it is manga so the strategy would probably be more colorful than in real life, but it won't really be that epic. Often, a manager's most crucial role is not designing some crazy formation with an ingenious strategy, but simple stuff like half time team talk to boost morale and player's substitution to determine the flow of a game.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-24, 14:38   Link #125
destiny4everlove

Episode 3

Another cool episode! I love the way Tatsu’s brain works, it’s so unconventional and smart.

The best way to test a team is to remove its leader; if the team works well even without its leader then the team is in top shape.

Gino…he sure is an interesting character and finding out he is the new Captain was a cool surprise. I think one of the reasons why Tatsu chose him as the Captain is because of the effect he had on the other players and because of his strategy when playing soccer, he plays it in a smart way.

Another character I’m growing fond of his Baki. Young Tsubaki has a lot of potential (our little diamond in the rough) and I can’t wait to see him get better and better with each episode, although next episode doesn’t look so good for Baki.

Thank you so much for my beautiful avy and my amazing sig, TheEroKing!!!
destiny4everlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 01:23   Link #126
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Ep 4.
Spoiler:

I just dont seems to ba able to hold back waiting for sub for this anime
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 12:19   Link #127
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Very interesting

Spoiler:
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-25, 21:31   Link #128
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Very interesting

Spoiler:
Spoiler for ep.4:
Old 2010-04-25, 22:33   Link #129
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

Yellow cards on friendly are usually wiped out after the game. Unless its a friendly tourney, then it will be wiped out after that tourney..

Official matches will always start with a clean state for everyone..Unless he was suspended under official match and the ban wasnt a card offense.
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-04-25, 23:43   Link #130
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
THis one is an unofficial pre-match game right?

@orion

IMO

For the top dogs, they kinda already screwed up by allowing ETU, the worst team, to score a goal. The coach can call it a fluke but a goal's a goal and ETU drew first blood.

Even if Top Tokyo wins (Which I'm sure they will) Tatsumi's already proven that ETU isn't going to be a pushover this time around.

Reminds me of Remember the Titans when that opponent smashed one of the players down and broke his wrist I think. Then the "sunshine" player came back and bashed that same guy down and it was completely legal (Payback's a *****).

Though it should be a good lesson to Baki that he DOES have to pay attention and he can't just run like a "dumb hunting dog"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-26, 20:29   Link #131
destiny4everlove

Episode 4

Spoiler:

Old 2010-04-26, 21:54   Link #132
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

I like Giant Killing so far, for someone who is inept at tactic in the game this is quite good way to understand some of the aspect of football.
Oh and does anyone if ETU is base on any team? ETU really doesn't seem to resemble any J-league team as far as I know.
Old 2010-04-26, 23:22   Link #133
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

@ destiny.. actually, all you said in the spoiler in part and parcel of a football game. You might see Mochida as a dirty player, but believe me, if you looking it from the POV of a normal football team, one that doesnt support any of the 2 teams playing, you'll consider it as a clever move. All players do that matches, and the inexperiences are usually falls for it ... Of course, when it comes to your team getting it, you'll want it red no matter what XD

Well, from the sub, it seems that Gino was instruct to occupied both Saric and Mikado.. It shows that Tatsumi really does his homework to be able to pinpoint the opponent weakness even if that is his first match in league(as a manager). ^^b

Also, did anyone find the art error right after the goal (it shows the full view of the field) There are 22 man on the field .. Either one team playing with 10 men.. or the referee are invisible
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-04-27, 02:29   Link #134
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Eps 4 :

DEEN... work that field play to looked better please... For Godsake, how can one manga page can describe the action on the field better than 16:9 aspect ratio on TV, yeah in anime that scene where Gino dragging Mitsuku (not Mikado, someone just watch a certain anime too much )to the wing is really weird, so I decide check the manga on that point, and that 1-2 page can describe the situation better than the anime does... wew...

Ok enough for the ranting... Btw is That Ovrebo refereeing the match or what
Oh wait, thats not Ovrebo but Byron Moreno

And I change my opinion to Gino, he is Guti not Pirlo or Totti

The match itself looked decent... and I like the fact, in this title Tatsumi not the only one brilliant tactician... he will face many manager with different style on his Giant Killing road.
Old 2010-04-27, 05:38   Link #135
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Okay, so ep 4 is the Theobaki Walcott episode, and it's quite nince seeing Tsubaki's struggle in the flashback. I believe that for a player, he's probably the one that embodies the "Giant Killing" spirit the best, and it's nice for Tatsumi to realizes this and continue to trust him. The match itself is quite nice, we're shown Tatsumi's capabilities as a tactician and the offensive prowess of Akasaki, Tsubaki and Gino.

About Mochida cheating, it is of course not nice, but it's something you'll inevitably see, especially in high level leagues (one might even argue that one of the sign it's high level is how well they conceal it). It's not a rare sight to see players go down in agony over the slightest contact with their opponent, hoping to catch not just a foul but a card. In fact, one of the sign of Tsubaki's inexperience is his lack of theatrics when he's fouled. Admirable quality, but it doesn't make the referee blow his whistle. Another sign is when he got a yellow card. Take the latest Inter-Barca match for example, when Dani Alves go down Robben tried his hardest to avoid contact with him and not only does he avoid a yellow, Alves is the one who got it for accused diving.

Also, I agree with fertygo, the camera shots are a bit disappointing. There's too much near shots rather than a wide overhead shot, which makes the match a bit confusing sometime. I'm pretty sure that if I haven't read the manga, the process leading to ETU's first goal will be confusing for me too.
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-27, 08:37   Link #136
destiny4everlove

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiNA View Post
@ destiny.. actually, all you said in the spoiler in part and parcel of a football game. You might see Mochida as a dirty player, but believe me, if you looking it from the POV of a normal football team, one that doesnt support any of the 2 teams playing, you'll consider it as a clever move. All players do that matches, and the inexperiences are usually falls for it ... Of course, when it comes to your team getting it, you'll want it red no matter what XD
Thank you for your comment KiNA and you are very right. I had a little conversation (more like a little debate) with my dad yesterday about that very same topic. Of course my dad won in the end. And I agree, it was a clever move, maybe not the most pure/white/clean one but clever nonetheless. And I also agree it had to do with Baki’s inexperience. I also recognized it had to do with be being a Baki fangirl. I just hope the next time Baki would be the one to cost Mochida a card. I’m very curios and looking forward to how ETU will deal with Mochida the rest of the game.

Old 2010-04-27, 21:45   Link #137
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yeah, i have fun watching eps 4...
The creator really knows how to create a realistic games.

And Mochida's move is not a underhanded move. It's just a tactic to earn a free kick.

To me, Baki is Inside Forward, the one to cut inside from outside the box.
And Gino is like Zidane to me.

Next episode will focus on Murakoshi, the Anchorman. Will he rebound from his mistake?
Can't wait...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-28, 15:00   Link #138
Theowne
耳をすませば

So....I caught up to Ep 4 and I have to say this is a very nice anime here. I don't know anything about soccer so some of this discussion is lost on me, but I am a sucker for underdog stories as well as eccentric coach characters (both reminding me of Ookiku Furikabutte). So....I'm on board here. I'm not sure what the complaints on art style are about though. It seems fine to me....as for pace, I enjoy the training sessions a lot so I suppose I'm not bothered by lack of games...

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-29, 03:09   Link #139
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The anime seems to managed to explain stuff in easy to understand even for non football players (sorry, but I WILL NOT use the word soccer) ... but feels free to ask for elaborate explanation.. There seems to be quite a few of us here who should be capable to explain more
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

Old 2010-04-29, 13:13   Link #140
Sol Falling

Ep 4:

Heh, seems I was fooled by the preview. I'm quite glad the game is lasting beyond one episode, but with Tsubaki's whole determination thing being a flashback, I'm now no longer sure I wouldn't want ETU to win this. The opposing team scored with a free kick from a foul...not looking like great future rivals there or anything.

The psychological aspect of Tatsumi's strategy was pretty damn interesting. Predicting that the proud young defensemen would ditch marking Gino? Nice. I wonder what Tatsumi meant about 'guaranteeing a draw', though. That sort of statement would imply, to me, a solid defensive strategy. I wonder whether that'll come up in the next episode.

In terms of the characters: Tatsumi really seems to have a knack for motivational speeches. That's pretty cool, I guess. Tsubaki's extreme nervousness really isn't winning me over, though. I guess the player I'm enjoying most so far is Gino, pretty much 'cause he clearly knows what he's doing. The lead enemy guy, Mochida was it?, is also pretty interesting for the obvious malevolance behind his statically friendly face.

This episode still only featured two major plays, so it's not like my blood is really pumpin' yet. I'm glad we're finally at the action, though, and the next episode looks set to deliver more.

Last edited by Sol Falling; 2010-04-29 at 21:51.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
football, seinen, sports