Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-11-12, 21:32   Link #21
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkfish View Post
1. Like what? Panties?
Sure why not but more like limited edition stuff that you cant get out side of japan
Old 2010-11-14, 07:27   Link #22
Qikz

You say you're from England right? I know I need a Bachelors Degree to go and work in Japan which I'm planning on working to, but what exactly is a bachelors degree in this country? Is it the BA/BSc courses? Or is it something higher?
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 18:44   Link #23
skunkfish
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Sure why not but more like limited edition stuff that you cant get out side of japan
Geeks shouldn't be helped to spend their hard earned money on total trash! The limited edition stuff is a waste of money man, but if you want to annoymously send money to some guy you met on a forum that's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
You say you're from England right? I know I need a Bachelors Degree to go and work in Japan which I'm planning on working to, but what exactly is a bachelors degree in this country? Is it the BA/BSc courses? Or is it something higher?

The B in BA and BSc stands for Bachelor. That's all you need. You can work part-time on a student visa (check the blog in my sig as there was an entry about that this morning), so if you did a year in Japan or something you could try it out.
Old 2010-11-14, 21:23   Link #24
Qikz

Quote:
Geeks shouldn't be helped to spend their hard earned money on total trash! The limited edition stuff is a waste of money man, but if you want to annoymously send money to some guy you met on a forum that's fine with me.

The B in BA and BSc stands for Bachelor. That's all you need. You can work part-time on a student visa (check the blog in my sig as there was an entry about that this morning), so if you did a year in Japan or something you could try it out.

Cool cheers, I wasn't sure if that stood for Bachelor or not.

I'm looking into doing a degree with the Open University as they rank in the top 10 universities in the country and I'm a carer so can't stay away from home for too long, but if I get to do the course I want and get the funds, I might go for a holiday in Japan for a month or two while studying out there, man the Open University sounds so useful.

Thanks for the help!
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-14, 22:56   Link #25
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Quote:
But the Pizza Hust here dont give anime stuff out with there pizzas or any of the other restaurants and what else am I going to spend my cash on
Old 2010-11-15, 18:27   Link #26
skunkfish
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
But the Pizza Hust here dont give anime stuff out with there pizzas or any of the other restaurants and what else am I going to spend my cash on
A bigger, brighter future!
Old 2010-11-21, 08:24   Link #27
dangodaikazoku
akachan dango

Yeah, a question here

In Japanese dramas and anime, there are often characters (usually supporting characters) who are introduced as "good English speakers" and then spout some incomprehensible Engrish mumbo-jumbo.

Do Japanese audiences take the bait and go "sugoi!!!" like the other characters on screen, or do they just quietly chuckle to themselves and shake their heads like we foreigners do?

As an aside, when someone in a Korean drama is said to "speak good English", this character usually does speak perfect American English, unlike his/her Japanese counterparts
dangodaikazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 09:57   Link #28
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangodaikazoku View Post
Yeah, a question here

In Japanese dramas and anime, there are often characters (usually supporting characters) who are introduced as "good English speakers" and then spout some incomprehensible Engrish mumbo-jumbo.

Do Japanese audiences take the bait and go "sugoi!!!" like the other characters on screen, or do they just quietly chuckle to themselves and shake their heads like we foreigners do?

As an aside, when someone in a Korean drama is said to "speak good English", this character usually does speak perfect American English, unlike his/her Japanese counterparts
...or was dubbed by a colleague with better English (Can't remember if it was Korean..., or was it Chinese drama? Anyway one of the Asian drama that i can't understand the language)

Actually i also have a question. Since only 1.5% (or so) of the Japan population is non-Japanese. And if you are white or black, you undoubtedly will be stuck out like a sore thumb. But what's about other Asians, how do Japanese generally view them?

I mean, of course the stereotypes gonna play a major part, but how heavily it is? I mean if I take anime and manga as guidance, then 99% of the Chinese seems to work in Chinese restaurants, 99% of SEA people are migrated immigrants and there's no Koreans... at all.

Edit: and all Indians are mystery magic users....
Old 2010-11-21, 11:06   Link #29
dangodaikazoku
akachan dango

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
But what's about other Asians, how do Japanese generally view them?
[...] there's no Koreans... at all.
From what I've heard, it's pretty tough going for non-Japanese Asians in Japan... lots of negative stereotypes and prejudice flying about, on top of the burden of Asian expectations and none of the exceptional privileges accorded to non-Asians. And I think Koreans are the largest minority group in Japan
dangodaikazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 18:32   Link #30
skunkfish
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangodaikazoku View Post
Yeah, a question here

Sugoi is much more likely than actually thinking they are bad at English. Have you seen Evangelion 2.0? The English in that is shocking. You'd think something as high profile as Eva would get it right. Maybe they are just so timid with speaking foreign languages that they assume anyone else with the balls to do it is in the right... or maybe they just don't learn anything in English class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110
Actually i also have a question. Since only 1.5% (or so) of the Japan population is non-Japanese. And if you are white or black, you undoubtedly will be stuck out like a sore thumb. But what's about other Asians, how do Japanese generally view them?

I mean, of course the stereotypes gonna play a major part, but how heavily it is? I mean if I take anime and manga as guidance, then 99% of the Chinese seems to work in Chinese restaurants, 99% of SEA people are migrated immigrants and there's no Koreans... at all.

Edit: and all Indians are mystery magic users...
White and black are sore thumbs for sure, as are Philippinos and often Brazilians because of the way they dress and carry themselves.

Closer Asian nationalities like Chinese, Korean and parts of SE Asia can go totally unnoticed if they're lucky. My friend is from Indonesia and is constantly mistaken for a Japanese citizen. Until he opens his mouth, of course.

The stereotypes don't really hold, except that most Brazilians (at least in my area) work in a network of Brazilian supermarkets, a lot of Philipinos are either in hostess bars or restaurants, and I've never seen an Indian guy do a job other than cooking me a fantastic curry.

All minorities do generally have a pretty tough time as far as integration goes, even in second- and third-generations.
Old 2010-11-21, 20:19   Link #31
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

If I were to move to Japan, how much would an apartment cost as well as day-to-day foodstuffs? I hear vegetables and fruits are actually quite pricey.

Also I'm studying to be linguistic, would there be any particular job market for a linguist in Japan? Just curious since I have my reservations about these two things.
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 21:55   Link #32
Autumn Demon
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post
If I were to move to Japan, how much would an apartment cost as well as day-to-day foodstuffs? I hear vegetables and fruits are actually quite pricey.
The Japanese have a lower standard of living than the Taiwanese because of astronomical prices of housing and food.
http://www.economist.com/node/17473187
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-21, 21:59   Link #33
skunkfish
D-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbitres View Post

Also I'm studying to be linguistic, would there be any particular job market for a linguist in Japan? Just curious since I have my reservations about these two things.
Best I can do is point you to two of my blogs:

Cost of Living in Japan
How Much Will I Get Paid Teaching English

We haven't covered the cost of fruit and veg yet, but the prices aren't wildly different from the US/UK. There are seasonal/regional variations, but if you shop around you can eat on a similar budget to at home.

Rent will be between 50,000 - 100,000 yen depending on your location. If you get luck, like me , you can get subsidised housing (I work for the local government).

A linguistics degree is as good as any other degree for finding your basic english-teaching job out here, and may give you the upper hand when applying to the more picky private schools/companies such as Berlitz. You might also find this blog useful: Finding a Job

Sorry for the self-promotion but I don't have time to rewrite all that info right now.