AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2009-10-07, 14:25   Link #261
marvelB

Uh, I strongly doubt that Haki makes someone a human seastone. Blackbeard's DF power is more akin to something like that. Besides, if that were the case, we wouldn't have seen Kizaru dueling Rayleigh with a light saber, would we?

Anyway, I made the comparison a few times in the past, but I don't think I've really elaborated on it: I see Haki as being very similar to Hamon (or the ripple) from the earlier parts of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. See, the way Hamon works is that a specific breathing rhythm creates a ripple-like wave of energy. This way, it was possible for a person to transfer their own energy through other sources like weapons and were also able to utilize the power of sunlight (for instance, Will Zeppeli was actually able to transfer his ripple energy through a glass of wine). When we first learned that the Kuja amazons could imbue Haki energy through their arrows, Hamon was the first thing that came to my mind since it was used in a somewhat similar fashion.

Now, whether or not Haki requires a specific breath pattern to be used, I don't know. But I DO think that it's related to breathing, along with willpower. Think of when Zoro fought Daz Bones at Alabasta. He was near death when he was suddenly able to hear the "breath" of the rocks around him. Then he was able to hear the "breath" of Daz's steel body, and was able to cut him. Now, in Jojo it was explained that ripple energy can be used to interrupt another ripple. You could say that Zoro's "ripple" interrupted Daz's ripple on the very moment he cut him. That's why I think that Haki doesn't truly "cancel out" a DF power, but it DOES "interrupt" it in a way that renders them defenseless, even if it's for a split second. Perhaps being half dead made Zoro breath in a way that he was able to sense the "breath" of all his surroundings during that moment, I dunno. But those are just my thoughts on the subject for now......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 15:11   Link #262
zaner

I think the Breath of things the Kings Disposition and the more general type (Reyagh's and the Amazons types) are different sides of the same coin with Breath and Kings Disposition being more specific types of "Haki"
zaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-08, 01:54   Link #263
Rawrz
Redbeard Has Blood Logia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNhite View Post
Well, if it's a Logia user, he'd go back to being plain old John Mc Dickless so yes, even if said person could become poison or magma, the Haki user would be fine. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure kicking a lightsaber would have royally fucked over old man Rayleigh.
Someone like Magellan who coats himself in poison... that's a different story.
Thats what Im talking about.So a paramecia users like poison,soap and that non-cannon heat may be the bane of all haki since they are all "wearing" their devil fruits in a way.Especially poisoned Magellan and Kalifa in her sheep mode (not sure about kalifa but if her soap can clean the strenght it can clean the spirit as well)

Quote:
Imagine Nightcrawler going into his BAMPH cloud, Juggernaut throws a punch into the mass, and thusly Kurt is punted out on his ass. Probably the route Oda would take.
Yeah I guess there is no doubt Oda's characters will just temporarily pass out by materializing in their places.The day we see a Aokiji/Smoker's crushed corpses is the day this manga ends.
Rawrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-20, 07:57   Link #264
Tenryuken
Pirate God

Haki is annoying the fuck outta me.
Tenryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 10:39   Link #265
Warlord90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Three_Kings View Post
No actually, Arlong did not leave Jimbei of his own accord. Take Bellamy for example who was under Don Flamingo, they werent together but they were still part of the same crew. Since Don Flamingo and Jimbei are Shichibukai they cant be seen with pirates.
But isn't Boa Hancock seen with her pirate crew ?
Warlord90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-18, 19:54   Link #266
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaner View Post
I think the Breath of things the Kings Disposition and the more general type (Reyagh's and the Amazons types) are different sides of the same coin with Breath and Kings Disposition being more specific types of "Haki"

I think the King Dispositon Haki.
Amazon Lily's Haki.
And Rayleigh and Shanks kind of Haki.
Are all different forms of Haki.
Like yes its Haki, but its not the same.

AddiKtioNn-BlaCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 10:48   Link #267
Warlord90

Is it true that someone's Haki is connected to his ambitions for the future?
Or is it just a very rare thing?

The Royal Shichibukai !!!
Warlord90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-23, 11:05   Link #268
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord90 View Post
Ambitions for their life might be a better description. They, ambitions for their life and it being a very rare thing, aren't exclusive. It's both at the same time. People that are extremely ambitious are very rare things. Meeting someone that wants to change the status quo, doesn't give up when facing ridiculous obstacles to their goals, and basically just has tons and TONS of completely unfounded self-confidence isn't going to happen every day.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-25, 11:25   Link #269
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord90 View Post

Haki is connected to a variety of things.
Ambition, determination, the will to dominate and etc.
Old 2009-12-25, 13:13   Link #270
james0246

Haki is more of an attitude, rather than an "ambition for the future." Dominating will is far closer to the meaning, but even that is a little off.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-05, 11:53   Link #271
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Figure I post my thoughts on Haki that I made on another forum here. I'm not an expert on the Japanese Language, I'm just learning. Influenced by C.A.

"Ha" translates as "Dominance, Terrifying, Supremacy (Superior)"
"Ki" translates as "Spirit, Aura, Breath, Air, or Energy Flow, it can even seen as Spiritual Energy". In East Asian culture, Ki is the Energy Flow that sustains Living Beings (Life).

So with "Haki" you can make out various various definitions like "Aura (Spirit, Air) of Dominance, Terrifying Spirit (Aura, Energy Flow), Air (Spirit, Aura) of Superiority (Supremacy)".
-------------

Explanations:

Haki (Terrifying Spirit, Aura of Fear)... Shanks scares off Sea Monster just from glaring. Luffy instilled fear in those Wolves in Impel Down. Hancock instilled fear in Smoker when she glared at him at Marineford.

Haki (Dominating Spirit, Aura of Dominance)... Rayleigh knocks everyone unconscious at Slave Auction. Luffy knocked that Bull unconscious and the wolves at Impel Down. Shanks knocks people out when he aboard Whitebeard's ship. Hancock's beauty dominating the Hearts of Men. Luffy knocked people at Marineford.

Haki (Aura [or Spirit] of Supremacy)... Rayleigh stopping Kizaru. Shanks stopping Akainu. Gorgon sisters hurting Luffy even though he's rubber.

Spoiler for Further Explanation:

Now just to be clear, I'm not saying that its different "forms" of Haki. I'm saying how Haki manifest depends on the 'intent' of the Haki-user; that 'intent' corresponding with the Translation.

"Ha" translates as Dominance, Terrifying, Superiority
"Ki translates as Spirit, Life Force (and etc.)

We've seen people demonstrate a Strong Spirit (Superiority). We've seen people with a Strong Spirit overwhelm others (Dominance). We've seen people become terrified when someone demonstrates a Strong Spirit (Terrifying). Now you see why "Ha" is translated into words like "Dominance, Superiority, Terrifying" and so on. It all depends on the context. It all depends on the context Haki is being used.

Haki and the Effects on Devil Fruits:

I wanted to expand a little bit on what I said in the "Further Explanation" spoiler about Haki and Devil Fruits. This goes into breaking down the meaning of Haki into "Ha" and "Ki" to get a better understanding. What has been shown to weaken Devil Fruit users? Seawater. But we've seen, its not actually the Seawater. Its the Ki (Energy) that the Seawater emits that weakens the Devil Fruit. But when it comes to People, Ki (Energy) alone is not enough. How much the Devil Fruit ability is weakened is determined by the Ha (Dominance, Superiority) of that person's Ki (Energy). And vice-versa, it depends on the Willpower of the Devil Fruit-user to resist their ability being overwhelmed (Dominated).

Haoushoku Haki

Haoushoku Haki is just Haki. I think the reason why Oda described their Haki as Haoushoku Haki is because its far Superior to most Haki-users. Another thing to note about Haoushoku Haki is that the Pirates who possess it seems to stand out Kings. The Yonkou translates as "Four Emperors", Boa Hancock is the Empress (Queen). Think about how Haoushoku Haki as been translated. Its been translated as King's Disposition, Royal Haki, and Sovereign Haki.

Definition of Sovereign
Quote:
Source: Merrian-Webster
1 a : one possessing or held to possess sovereignty b : one that exercises supreme authority within a limited sphere c : an acknowledged leader : arbiter
Haoushoku itself can translate into "The Superior Color (Aura) of a King"

Another poster, Sun Tzu, did a good job in breaking down the definitions as well:
Spoiler for Sun Tzu's post:

And while Luffy has demonstrated Haoushoku Haki, he posses it but he can't use it which is the same as not having it. The times Luffy has demonstrated Haoushoku Haki, it was done subconsciously and/or unconsciously. Haoushoku Haki is more like Luffy's latent potential rather than something he currently possess.

Channeling Haki

This is pretty simple. Like I stated in the beginning, one of the translations of Ki is "Energy Flow". So Channel Haki is simply channeling the Flow of Ki (Spiritual Energy or Aura), or channeling the Ha (Dominance, Strength) of your Ki (energy). The only people who seem to be able to channel their Haki are very experienced (Whitebeard, Rayleigh, Shanks).

Predicting Attacks

Haki doesn't have anything to do with Predicting attacks. But it probably takes an experienced Haki-user to do so. The reason I say that is because we have to remember actually what Haki is. When predicting attacks, what the person is doing is "reading the Flow of Ki (energy)". Remember Ki is translated as "Energy Flow", if you can accurately read a person's Ki (energy flow), you can predict their attacks [people who read the manga Claymore should be able to understand this perfectly. The most people powerful Claymore was powerful because of her unparalleled ability to read YoKI (Demonic Energy Flow)], even though the other Claymore's Skills surpassed hers. Speaking of similarities between Claymore's YoKI and One Piece's HaKI, I wouldn't be surprised if you could manipulate (or disturb) someone's HaKi in One Piece like you could manipulate (or disturb) someone's YoKI in Claymore. Rayleigh redirect Kizaru's kick (in his Light element) is close to it.

Spoiler for Further Explanation:

Spoiler for ZORO and HAKI:
Old 2010-06-05, 13:14   Link #272
Kallen4life

Quote:
Shanks clashed with Akainu and completely stopped his Fist, without his Sword going through
magma is a solid element though (and his fist is probably very solid during the attack) .. 2 solids clashing = block each other .. and I think it sorta looks like Shanks used the broad side of his sword rather then the sharp edge - to block

Vista and Marco's attacks are simply strong enough to go through the magma-body and due to Haki it actually causes Akainu pain/discomfort/whatever (but it's by far not the same pain as he would have had if he were made of flesh and blood and got his shoulder sliced through like butter (that's like fatal .. ?) .. I personally think this is due to it being regular Haki - it only allows to cause some pain/damage to logias, regardless of the type of hit - even a beheading (maybe) .. Kings Haki however completely negates logias (like Yami Yami no Mi) as if they were of flesh and blood .. OR logias just can't be killed in 1 hit through haki - they will feel pain, but the body will hold out treating all hits (fatal or not) the same - after all if you're made of one element the concept of vital points likely doesn't exist .. and if your non-logia body can take 2 quakes from WB and keep going then you're all good)

but very nice analysis
We are Blackwatch
We are the last line of defense
We will burn our own to hold the red line, it is the last line to ever hold
Kallen4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 00:35   Link #273
andy

Well haki has been explain and just like Nen , Chakra , Ki etc etc.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 00:54   Link #274
james0246

The Three known forms of Haki have now been named (as of 597):

Kenbunshoku- Colour of Observation/Information = Mantra; spatial awareness of all that surround you and how they move.

Busoushoku- Colour of Arms/Armor = added defense/offense; ability to deal damage to Logia users and other DF users.

Haoushoku- Colour of the Conqueror = Intimidation; the ability to defeat opponents through sheer presence (ala Rayleigh, Shanks and Luffy). (All those famous use this to some extent.)
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 01:00   Link #275
andy

Yep so i guess if want to translate haki the best world would be Aura ,Spirit .
It just the rare type Haoushoku Haki - Colour of the Conquerer use's the user will and it can't be trained like the other two only control and grows as the user grows.

Also i have said say that C.A. was right when he said everyone can used Haki.
andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 01:15   Link #276
marvelB

^I think I'd still rather call Haki the Force if I were to translate it.

So yeah, like I said in the chapter thread, Rayleigh's Haki explanation pretty matches up with C.A.'s (which I never really doubted in the first place ). Looks like we're gonna have a lot of fun seeing the crazy ways Haki will be utilized in OP's second stage....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 12:32   Link #277
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well my theory of Haki is based on comparison to other media that features it and they all work the same one way or another.

What Oda does here is just that he splits the usual features of Haki into 3 parts, otherwise its no different from how Haki or Ki usually works.

I used to describe Haki as the will and intention of an individual, when 2 fighters meet, they Haki clash, their will and intentions are put against each other.

Kenbunshoku - if you can sense's someone's 'ki', intention, well enough, you'll be able to read his movements.

Busoushoku - if your will is strong enough, nothing can stop you.

Haoushoku - if your will is exceedingly strong, no one would even dare come to you.

In Fist of the North Star, Raoh's Touki (battle/fighting spirit) is so strong, people don't just fear him, they see punches flying at them just by looking at him.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 12:41   Link #278
Kallen4life

so Kings Haki has nothing to do with the ability to pierce DF's/Logias - it's separate and much more rare

my biggest question was in relation to Akainu - Vista sliced his shoulder and Vista was a Haki user, but Akainu seemed rather unaffected .. 2 blows from Whitebeard brought him down though (for some time) .. I used to think this was because of WB's Kings Haki, but seeing as how it isn't so - it's just the matter of the strength of one's will - WB's was monstrous and enough to overpower Akainu's .. Vista's wasn't
Old 2010-08-25, 12:49   Link #279
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen4life View Post
my biggest question was in relation to Akainu - Vista sliced his shoulder and Vista was a Haki user, but Akainu seemed rather unaffected .. 2 blows from Whitebeard brought him down though (for some time) .. I used to think this was because of WB's Kings Haki, but seeing as how it isn't so - it's just the matter of the strength of one's will - WB's was monstrous and enough to overpower Akainu's .. Vista's wasn't
Haki allows you to deal damage to anyone, but you still need to be able to do enough damage.

Lets use gaming terms:

Say Akainu has 1,000,000 HP, his Logia makes him immune to normal attacks.

Haki allows a character to ignore Devil Fruit ability, making Akainu's Logia defense useless.

Vista has Haki and he can deal 100,000 damage, it will not be able to take Akainu down since Akainu has 1 million HP.

Whitebeard can deal 500,000 damage, so he can take Akainu down in 2 attacks.

In manga, people don't just die from being sliced, they have HP just like most games.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-25, 12:55   Link #280
Kallen4life

Quote:
In manga, people don't just die from being sliced, they have HP just like most games.
well .. that's certainly another explanation .. which would make Akainu even more badass, because that slice was HUGE and most certainly fatal looking if it actually was inflicted on a human body (yes, even in OP) and not some lava

and I didn't mean death, but SOME reaction to the blow .. blood maybe ? he showed nothing (just noted it was irritating .. maybe it tickled), but after WB's attack he struggled, grunted and later had blood flowing out of his mouth

and I'm pretty sure WB's will (and thus defence-piercing haki) is stronger then Vista's .. he's just that awesome