AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-12-05, 17:11   Link #401
Kristen
*Author

I kind of have a random cultural question. Do they have cereal in Japan? I tend to only see hot meals for breakfast, but it could just be an anime only thing.
Old 2007-12-05, 17:21   Link #402
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Cereal is rather rare apparently ... one of our posters who is in Oita University there complains that the grocery stores only have 3 brands of cereal and they all have Snoopy on the box.

A typical japanese breakfast is rice with sprinkles (nori, bonito, sesame, etc), pickled veggies (e.g. daikon), and a bit of some fish/protein. Also usually hot tea.

A japanese 'western' breakfast would be something like a rice-filled egg omelet with some ketchup. .... bacon would be a luxury of sorts. I've heard noises that the dish where you fry an egg inside a piece of holed out toast is a treat of sorts. Sandwich bread is available but again, not massively used/seen.
Old 2007-12-05, 18:19   Link #403
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Cereal is rather rare apparently ... one of our posters who is in Oita University there complains that the grocery stores only have 3 brands of cereal and they all have Snoopy on the box.

A typical japanese breakfast is rice with sprinkles (nori, bonito, sesame, etc), pickled veggies (e.g. daikon), and a bit of some fish/protein. Also usually hot tea.
You forgotten Miso soup, you can't start the day without a bowl of miso soup.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 20:09   Link #404
Kristen
*Author

Quote:

A japanese 'western' breakfast would be something like a rice-filled egg omelet with some ketchup. .... bacon would be a luxury of sorts. I've heard noises that the dish where you fry an egg inside a piece of holed out toast is a treat of sorts. Sandwich bread is available but again, not massively used/seen.
Ah, then I'm going to have to change that. What would you say is the quickest and dullest meal somebody could have for breakfast in Japan? Something that doesn't need to be heated with minimal preperation?

Sorry if these are weird questions. I wrote a book in October set in Japan, and I am trying to fix a whole bunch of cultural mistakes, as well as writing and stuff. I'm asking this because I'm trying to show that his mother stopped being a mother to him when he stopped being her child.

Out of curiosity, is there a place on this forum to post a story? Or should I look for another forum for that?
Old 2007-12-05, 20:34   Link #405
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Ah, then I'm going to have to change that. What would you say is the quickest and dullest meal somebody could have for breakfast in Japan? Something that doesn't need to be heated with minimal preperation?

Sorry if these are weird questions. I wrote a book in October set in Japan, and I am trying to fix a whole bunch of cultural mistakes, as well as writing and stuff. I'm asking this because I'm trying to show that his mother stopped being a mother to him when he stopped being her child.

Out of curiosity, is there a place on this forum to post a story? Or should I look for another forum for that?
http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

You should post there: I got a warning for making a thread on my proposed stories here in General Chat >_>

I'm interested in what you wrote so far, so do post.
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 21:02   Link #406
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:

Cereal isn't that rare.
In fact, we have Kellogg's Corn Flakes TV commercials.
And yes, Tony the tiger goes "GUUUUUREITO!" with Japanese accents.

It's just that not many types of cereals are around.
Old 2007-12-05, 21:11   Link #407
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Cereal isn't that rare.

Over here, cereal is common store-wise, but most people go for bread.
Old 2007-12-05, 21:43   Link #408
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Cereal isn't that rare.

So having the charecter living a boring morning with cereal every day is not that far off? Or would it be a little off?

Kang Seung Jae: OK, so that forum is fair game for stories? All righty. I'll post the first 2 chapters, since those are the only fully edited ones in v 2.0. All the others are in 1.0 or 1.1.

Also, what time does school start/end for a typical high school in Japan?

Last edited by Kristen; 2007-12-05 at 21:57.
Kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-05, 22:06   Link #409
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Also, what time does school start/end for a typical high school in Japan?
April to Janurary.
Old 2007-12-05, 22:08   Link #410
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
April to Janurary.
Oh, I mean time, like day by day. Like, in America it was 8:00-14:40, but I don't know about Japan
Old 2007-12-05, 22:20   Link #411
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Oh, I mean time, like day by day. Like, in America it was 8:00-14:40, but I don't know about Japan
A typical school day lasts from 8:30 a.m. until approximately 3:50 p.m, after which you have class cleanup and activities.
Old 2007-12-05, 22:25   Link #412
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
A typical school day lasts from 8:30 a.m. until approximately 3:50 p.m, after which you have class cleanup and activities.
Alrighty. Thank you. Looks like I'll have to do some editing there too, since I had it at 8:00 AM.

Guess I'll get right on those edits... tommorow.
Old 2007-12-05, 22:26   Link #413
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Alrighty. Thank you. Looks like I'll have to do some editing there too, since I had it at 8:00 AM.

Guess I'll get right on those edits... tommorow.
Well, normally a student would have to arrive at 8:00, so no real need to change that.
Old 2007-12-06, 03:08   Link #414
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Also, don't forget that there's an intense amount of pressure to belong to *some* afterschool club - so school often isn't really over at 15:50.... and then there's 'cram classes' ... and Saturday 'cram'

It might save you some time just to watch a few high school romance series and catch the underlying cultural and daily life routines (which may be exaggerated but better than nothing)

As for the cereal, I just go by what people tell me. I'm sure the cereal manufacturers are doing their damnedest to conquer the market but I also understand that many western products are "not doing so well lately" in Japan (fast food, etc).
Old 2007-12-06, 05:46   Link #415
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Also, don't forget that there's an intense amount of pressure to belong to *some* afterschool club - so school often isn't really over at 15:50.... and then there's 'cram classes' ... and Saturday 'cram'

It might save you some time just to watch a few high school romance series and catch the underlying cultural and daily life routines (which may be exaggerated but better than nothing)
Well...the majority of high school romance protagonists seem to avoid clubs like the plague. I guess that leaves more time for romantic misunderstandings and afterschool outings, but it's rather unrealistic.

Also, I heard from my Japanese friends that some schools are phasing out the Saturday in the Japanese school week. Cram classes are most often attended by 3rd years about to test into Uni, so it's not a problem that most high school students have to deal with.
Old 2007-12-06, 10:10   Link #416
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripperazn View Post
Also, I heard from my Japanese friends that some schools are phasing out the Saturday in the Japanese school week. Cram classes are most often attended by 3rd years about to test into Uni, so it's not a problem that most high school students have to deal with.
Regular schooling on Saturdays was phased out in 2002.

Naturally, as part of the World Conspiracy to Harass Children, reinstatement has been a discussion point, and other classes and activities can find their way into that previous school-time.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 10:29   Link #417
Ending

Quote:
Oh, wow, that's a killer. I can barely get my arse off from the bed at 8am and anything before that is just plain suicidal. I could almost pity the japanese peeps who have to do so.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-06, 11:08   Link #418
Kristen
*Author

Quote:

As for the cereal, I just go by what people tell me. I'm sure the cereal manufacturers are doing their damnedest to conquer the market but I also understand that many western products are "not doing so well lately" in Japan (fast food, etc).
Oh, I've seen many high school romances. ^_^ They just never quite showed the clock at the time school started or ending, so I didn't know the exact times.

But, as was later confirmed, I thought that Saturday classes were phased out. So, it all works.
Old 2007-12-06, 14:58   Link #419
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, they were phased out about 5 years ago though the resulting drop in performance and test scores has the government considering the idea of reinstating it.

So you're good for now Yeah the anime usually show the characters heading home and very subtly one might notice that dinner is right after they get home in some series (implying they arrived around 5 or 6pm).
Old 2007-12-06, 18:15   Link #420
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
Oh, wow, that's a killer. I can barely get my arse off from the bed at 8am and anything before that is just plain suicidal. I could almost pity the japanese peeps who have to do so.
Korean (high school) students have it tougher: 8 AM to 5~6 PM.

Tags
culture, discussion, japan, japanese culture